HTC G2 1800 mah Mugen Power battery review and progress

Search This thread

karlonicolas

Sep 18, 2010
i ordered the 1800mah mugen battery last friday august 5 and got it yesterday evening. i paid for speed post shipping. our postal system is notorious for lost mail and prolonged shipment, but i got the battery fairly quick. good work to the mugen team! i will post my review later about this batter after a few cycles.

karlonicolas

Sep 18, 2010
Has anyone found a place that sells cases that will fit the extended battery door?

no i havent and i have tried everywhere.

if anyone here finds a place that sells extended battery doors (hopefully made of metal, like the stock battery door) please do announce.

i am sure a lot of people here are looking to replace the battery doors which came with the extended battery, as the paid chips within a week of use.

poormanq45

Apr 8, 2010
I just received the anker batteries yesterday.

I am on my first charge of them.

To speed up the discharge i am running a 1700/1700 min/max with the performance profile in setcpu.

CM7 nightly 162
Umaro 1.06 kernel
Lcd brightness 100%

I charged the batteries until they said 100% + 1 hour on the included charger just to make sure.

Preliminary results are looking great. I played Angry Birds for 45 minutes and the battery was still at 100%. I'd normally be at 85-90% in that same time with the OEM.

Fitment is a little off due to the battery being thicker then OEM. I clipped the plastic piece and in slide right in. There's a tiny gap that most people won't notice on the back cover. I did notice it and it bugged me. So I removed the label on the battery. Yes, I put tape over the sd card to prevent contact. Once this was done the cover fits just as good as OEM. The backdoor takes a little pressure to get the lock to move, ut once locked it looks perfect.

I'll report back over time. Right now I'm trying my hardest to just burn through these initial charges and having a hard time doing it :p

sent from my G2 running CM7 nightly

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
when you say that it takes a little pressure to close the battery door, I highly suggest you be careful. Over time that door will bend outwards like a hill. I remember reading and seeing pictures of this happening so just make sure you take a look at the thread. it's related to the chichitec batteries as well (well, the older ones i believe).
there's also a post on how to make your chichitec battery fit in the compartment properly, but i know there was a post that shows you what happens when the battery door requires pressure to close.

poormanq45

Apr 8, 2010
The door closes without extra force. There is still a little bit of a gap. If you apply a little bit of pressure the gap goes away.

I'll keep an eye out for the warping that you're referring to.

Preliminary results are quite promising. I left the phone with the screen set to never sleep, 1700/1700 cpu and it still took 13 hours for the first discharge!

I'm currently working on discharging the second battery

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
How do you like the desktop cradle, would you recommend it?

To be honest, I only bought the cradle so I could charge a battery separately from the phone. I use a snap-on case with my DZ, which means it no longer fits in the slot. If you don't use a case, then the cradle makes a pretty nice stand. Set the phone to never turn off while charging, and you have a decent desk clock. There is a USB passthrough connection so you can mount the phone on your computer or adb to it while it is plugged into the cradle. Pretty good for $23, which is about half the cost of a battery!

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Preliminary results are quite promising. I left the phone with the screen set to never sleep, 1700/1700 cpu and it still took 13 hours for the first discharge!

Run something like Battery Monitor Widget to see how much current the phone is drawing. An idle phone, even clocked to 1.7 GHz, won't draw as much power as one that is 100% busy. For example, with my screen on and the CPU at 245 MHz, BMW reports about 115 mA (most of that being the display). At 1.3 GHz, it draws 135 mA. At that rate, it will take about 13.3 hours to drain a 1800 mAh battery, which sounds like what you have. Try running a benchmark in a loop, while Google Navigation is active in the background (so the GPS is on). Crank the display up to full brightness, turn on wifi and Bluetooth, stream music at the same time, download large files to the phone, etc. I've hit over 600 mA at times, which means the battery will be dead in 3 hours.

Reactions: captainreynolds

Jandyman

Aug 5, 2010
Originally Posted by poormanq45

Run something like Battery Monitor Widget to see how much current the phone is drawing. An idle phone, even clocked to 1.7 GHz, won't draw as much power as one that is 100% busy. For example, with my screen on and the CPU at 245 MHz, BMW reports about 115 mA (most of that being the display). At 1.3 GHz, it draws 135 mA. At that rate, it will take about 13.3 hours to drain a 1800 mAh battery, which sounds like what you have. Try running a benchmark in a loop, while Google Navigation is active in the background (so the GPS is on). Crank the display up to full brightness, turn on wifi and Bluetooth, stream music at the same time, download large files to the phone, etc. I've hit over 600 mA at times, which means the battery will be dead in 3 hours.

Wow . . . Installed the monitor and with screen on. . .nothing really going on in the background its always eating 290-400ma . .this isn't right at all o_O

Jandyman

Aug 5, 2010
I installed the battery ma moniter and it shows while idling on screen . . Nothing going on the background. At stock speed of 800mhz that I'm draining 240 up to almost 400 sometimes, dats not normal I don't think :/

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
I installed the battery ma moniter and it shows while idling on screen . . Nothing going on the background. At stock speed of 800mhz that I'm draining 240 up to almost 400 sometimes, dats not normal I don't think :/

240 mA sounds reasonable if you have the display brightness turned up all the way, and perhaps a live wallpaper running. I assume you have a rooted phone and have busybox installed. Try opening a terminal window (Terminal or ConnectBot apps, or adb in from your PC) and run /system/xbin/top to show processes that are consuming CPU. Spikes in power usage are likely background sync or other network I/O.

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Oh, and if you do have live wallpaper running, I recommend leaving the phone at the home screen (so the live wallpaper is showing), then running 'top' via adb so you can see just how much CPU it consumes. I was surprised to see many of them keep the CPU at over 80%, some at close to 100%. I have two on my DZ that only consume 5-7% CPU, and that's at 245 MHz (Crazy Colours and Rays of Light).

Jandyman

Aug 5, 2010
240 mA sounds reasonable if you have the display brightness turned up all the way, and perhaps a live wallpaper running. I assume you have a rooted phone and have busybox installed. Try opening a terminal window (Terminal or ConnectBot apps, or adb in from your PC) and run /system/xbin/top to show processes that are consuming CPU. Spikes in power usage are likely background sync or other network I/O.

I have a rooted phone yes. But I don't have busybox installed and the brightness is at lowest without flicker . .about a fifth of full brightness. And I'm using umarokernal, I might flash another to see if there's any change.

poormanq45

Apr 8, 2010
First report.

I disconnected the phone before leaving for work.

I used the phone like normal. Probably ~50 texts. 25 web pages. 30 minutes of angry birds. Oh, and cell service is terrible. Fluctuating from G to E most of the time with the rare 3g and H.

After an 8 hour day + 1 hour commute I got home with a ~60%.

A little bit more angry birds. About 30 minutes.

Anyways, let it sit over night and then more normal use.

The battery last 33 hours an ~ 30 minutes.

For reference, after a normal day at work the battery would be in the 20% range and hit single digits before bedtime at ~11pm. So, ~16 hours.

Note, I disabled the <40% profile with the new battery that clocks it to 200/800. So it was running full out the whole time!

So far this battery has given me a lot more confidence. I even went out of the house without a charger today!

malloy0

Jan 23, 2006
Raleigh, NC
www.myccvc.com
poormanq45,

Thanks.

Can you post a link on where you got this and the cost?

Also, does it fit with the standard phone back?

malloy0

First report.

I disconnected the phone before leaving for work.

I used the phone like normal. Probably ~50 texts. 25 web pages. 30 minutes of angry birds. Oh, and cell service is terrible. Fluctuating from G to E most of the time with the rare 3g and H.

After an 8 hour day + 1 hour commute I got home with a ~60%.

A little bit more angry birds. About 30 minutes.

Anyways, let it sit over night and then more normal use.

The battery last 33 hours an ~ 30 minutes.

For reference, after a normal day at work the battery would be in the 20% range and hit single digits before bedtime at ~11pm. So, ~16 hours.

Note, I disabled the <40% profile with the new battery that clocks it to 200/800. So it was running full out the whole time!

So far this battery has given me a lot more confidence. I even went out of the house without a charger today!

poormanq45

Apr 8, 2010
poormanq45,

Thanks.

malloy0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050MUSLY

They are currently showing unavailable.

Here is a single chitech 1900
http://www.amazon.com/CHICHITEC-Bat...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313511949&sr=1-4

Here's a 2 pack with charger:
http://www.amazon.com/CHICHITEC-Bat...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313512005&sr=1-3

Apparently the Chitechs are supposed to be a better brand name then the Ankers that I got. I'm showing that the Anker is giving a huge improvement over stock. So I can only figure that the Chitechs would give at least the same improvement.

Yes, the standard back fits. It snaps shut with normal force. There is a little bit of a lip on three sides. If you press on the back a little bit it'll make the lip very small.

Reactions: malloy0

malloy0

Jan 23, 2006
Raleigh, NC
www.myccvc.com
Thanks. I ordered the chitech 1900 from amazon. $23 delivered. Hope it works well for me like the Anker did for you.

http://www.amazon.com/CHICHITEC-Bat...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313511949&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/CHICHITEC-Bat...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313512005&sr=1-3

Apparently the Chitechs are supposed to be a better brand name then the Ankers that I got. I'm showing that the Anker is giving a huge improvement over stock. So I can only figure that the Chitechs would give at least the same improvement.

Yes, the standard back fits. It snaps shut with normal force. There is a little bit of a lip on three sides. If you press on the back a little bit it'll make the lip very small.

poormanq45

Apr 8, 2010
You grabbed the single? I was thinking about that. The pair of Ankers with charger was $24 shipped though.

I figured it'd be really nice to always have a second battery charged and waiting to go, just in case :)

I have no doubt that the chitech will work great for you. Remember that you have to clip the plastic off by the contact points to get it to fit. To allow the door to close easier you'll want to remove the label. Once you've done this you'll want to cover the exposed metal on the memory card door to prevent contact.

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
Does anyone know where we can get these anker batteries for the uk? Ive had a look around but can only find the 1500mah for desire z, the sensation gets the 1900 :(

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

karlonicolas

Sep 18, 2010
my feedback on the mugen battery:

it presents a substantial improvement from stock. my phone normally would not last beyond 12 -14 hours (wifi connected, background data synched continuously, with email updated every 15 mins, moderate calls and text messages, around 30mins of surfing and an hour of phone use), but with this battery (1800mah) i am currently at 46% after 10 hours of use. i bought the cheap 3500mah extended batteries, and they seem to be just an two or three hours (of battery use) more than this one.

by the way, i am overclocked to 1600 through unity 4 using cpu tuner.

Last edited:

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
quick question guys, am i understanding a slim htc evo 4g battery will fit our devices?

i just ordered a evo 4g slim 2000mah for $14, its same dimensions as stock, so i am assuming it should fit? maybe minor trim issues?

ps it also stated it would also fit incredible/hero/and tp2

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gooooooooooood evening every1,

I'm Antony and I will be discussing the progress and my personal review on the new 1800 mah Mugen Power battery for my HTC G2 that I bought and received yesterday.

1st of all the stock battery that it comes with when you buy it is a 1300mah battery, which for me is not enough, for I am a very heavy user of the net and I use plenty of apps and games, plus I tinker with my G2 all thee time. That battery would not last the whole day for a person such as I, unless I just use my G2 to text, then I might have some battery left at night till I need to recharge. I bought my G2 in the beginning of Jan and have had it till now which is the 7th of June. So it would be 5 months with it, and I've hated the battery from day 1 because I would use the gps nav to help me get around, and after using it my battery would just collapse in charge =( the necessity of a car charger had to come along, that's not a big deal, but I lost the damn thing. So I noticed my friend had an extended battery for his evo and I decided to search the net for a battery for my G2 ( I love saying it, its just soo damn powerful and fast, it deserves to be called by its name instead of just a phone, we all know its not just that) and I found plenty of batteries; stock, and extended. But just soo many that I didn't know which would be reliable. Then I ran into the Mugen Power batteries. I did research on reviews and what previous customers thought of their batteries. And they were all mostly well, above average, i'd say 4/5 on the scale. Only complaints I found was that they didn't last as much as the stock battery so they thought it was garbage.

Now here is my take on the battery after only 1 day of using it.
    I put it to charge for a bit over 12 hours, maybe 15, but no more than 24 for sure, as instructed on the packaging ( instructions were short and simple, nothing techy nor complicated ) and after finishing with the charge I disconnected it, and the battery begins to leak what I believe was battery acid through the back door! Can u believe that?! Nor could I! That's y it didn't happen! Haha, just kidding, as I was, I disconnected it and began using it like I normally would. I had wi-fi on, with the back light low on 25% because I was indoors, and the mp3 player was running. To add to that I went on some social networking website, and various other websites not in search of anything specific but just browsing my interests. Checked my gmail various times and last but not least, browsed the market. After a while my battery was at 75% I did the calculation and estimated that it would last 5 more hours till it hit 50%. And I was approximately correct! It went about 10 hours till it hit 50% I was impressed. The stock battery would never give me a result like that after using it like I regularly would, not even on day 1 out of the box. Now this is only from today as my 1st day of use with the 1800 mah Mugen Power battery. I will continue to use it and post my further results. I will continue to recharge the battery for at least 12 hours as instructed 3 to 5 times. I feel confident that it will give me even better results after completing the charging instructions. I believe that the unsatisfied customers that gave bad reviews might of not followed the instructions to properly charge the battery, they might of thought that it just any other battery that u just charge to 100 percent the second it reaches there and u can immediately disconnect it and use it while expecting to get the 100% charging results... well its not, let me say that they mightve been idiots that cannot follow instructions.

To wrap this up; stock battery sucks, new battery is WORKING! And with great results. Apple can kiss my ass and diamonds are forever.

If you have any questions or comments please post them here, I would like to read about your personal experience with a Mugen Power battery.

HTC G2 (1516mhz in speed!!! Be jealous!!)
    You have diamond on your ass? Lol j.k
    In seriousness, thanks for the review. I'll have a try at the new battery soon.
    The review sucks; Very unprofessional, no model numbers, etc.
    This sounds more like an ad than anything else.

Second, do you use SetCPU? Im a heavy user (surfing, downloading, angry birds, etc) as well and out of 24 hours about 6 Id say, the phone is idle and SetCPU kicks in downclocking it to 200mhz when the screen is off. In those conditions Ive seen the phone go down to about 60%

Third, do not tell funkeee his battery is defective. Battery life depends on so many other things such as reception, individual components, etc.

What crawled up his butt? Am I right? Lol

poormanq45,

Thanks.

malloy0