Dolby Digital 5.1 not working - XBMC 13.2 & 13.1 w/ passthrough enabled

Search This thread

rrussell50

Aug 19, 2014
I was unaware that the Fire TV XBMC did not play certain MP4 and MKV files with Dobly Digital.

I came across three different files one was a 2 were Mp4's and one was an Mkv that XBMC recognized as 5.1 files.

1 - I made sure that passthrough was enable to goto my receiver along with DTS enabled

2 - I was unable to find an updated media analyzer software to figure out what how the audio was encoded so I know what doesn't play on this system

3 - I then took the same files and I played them on my Midnight Mx2 w/ xbmc 13.1 and they both were identified and played properly in 5.1 on my receiver.

4 - I have used my Firetv with a ton of DTS and Dolby Digital files however these three for some reason do not work.

Does anyone know a good media analyzer software that will give me the correct information?

Also I'm assuming I have to wait for an updated Firetv firmware to fix this issue ?

I am running xbmc 13.2 not rooted but side loaded. Passtrhough is enabled correctly in the audio settings. XBMC recognizes the files as 5.1 but will not play that one my receiver.

Please let me know

thanks

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
I was unaware that the Fire TV XBMC did not play certain MP4 and MKV files with Dobly Digital.

I came across three different files one was a 2 were Mp4's and one was an Mkv that XBMC recognized as 5.1 files.

1 - I made sure that passthrough was enable to goto my receiver along with DTS enabled

2 - I was unable to find an updated media analyzer software to figure out what how the audio was encoded so I know what doesn't play on this system

3 - I then took the same files and I played them on my Midnight Mx2 w/ xbmc 13.1 and they both were identified and played properly in 5.1 on my receiver.

4 - I have used my Firetv with a ton of DTS and Dolby Digital files however these three for some reason do not work.

Does anyone know a good media analyzer software that will give me the correct information?

Also I'm assuming I have to wait for an updated Firetv firmware to fix this issue ?

I am running xbmc 13.2 not rooted but side loaded. Passtrhough is enabled correctly in the audio settings. XBMC recognizes the files as 5.1 but will not play that one my receiver.

Please let me know

thanks

That's an interesting find. Do you happen to have a download link or torrent to one of those videos? I'd love to do some testing of my own.

rrussell50

Aug 19, 2014
[U[/U]
Thanks for the media info, I will post the findings from that audio after I use Mediainfo tonight for all three files

FILE 1

D : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 42mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 9ms
Stream size : 447 MiB (15%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

FILE 2

D : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 2h 16mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 317 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 430 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel(s)_Original : 6 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 309 MiB (14%)
Title : English - Xitz (StyLish Release)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2012-10-29 17:33:06
Tagged date : UTC 2012-10-29 17:33:27

FILE 3
: 2
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 1h 30mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 426 Kbps
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 244 MiB (16%)
Encoded date : UTC 2013-03-25 11:23:22
Tagged date : UTC 2013-03-25 13:33:06

FILE 4

ID : 2
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Duration : 2h 21mn
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Delay relative to video : 31ms
Default : No
Forced : No

All files play properly on my Midnight Mx2 running xbmc 13.1...... however the dolby digital does not work on the amazon fire tv running 13.1 or 13.2

Passthrough is enabled, and I am running a DTS receiver, I would love to hear some insight

thanks

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
I'm totally unable to play anything with Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. formats in XBMC 13.2 or 13.1. I am hooking up to an Onkyo receiver using HDMI and through that to a Sony TV via HDMI. Receiver shows 2 channel stereo only and never switches to DD or DTS (let alone HD formats).

If I start using just the Amazon interface, I can stream content from Amazon in DD mode just fine, so I know the basic connections work. Once I start XBMC, it works fine except all output is in 2 channel stereo.

Not only that, once I start XBMC, and then exit and go back to the Amazon interface, all programs that stream from Amazon fail.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Thanks in advance

rrussell50

Aug 19, 2014
I'm totally unable to play anything with Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. formats in XBMC 13.2 or 13.1. I am hooking up to an Onkyo receiver using HDMI and through that to a Sony TV via HDMI. Receiver shows 2 channel stereo only and never switches to DD or DTS (let alone HD formats).

If I start using just the Amazon interface, I can stream content from Amazon in DD mode just fine, so I know the basic connections work. Once I start XBMC, it works fine except all output is in 2 channel stereo.

Not only that, once I start XBMC, and then exit and go back to the Amazon interface, all programs that stream from Amazon fail.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Thanks in advance

What are your settings under Audio output? please confirm this, and make sure audio passthrough is enabled along with dts capable receiver.
I have had a lot of success with the fire tv with a lot of different files, but I found some that had an issue.

snowf0x

Jan 27, 2011
To get XBMC to transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1, in the Audio Setting under System, ensure you have Passthrough enabled, and the number of speakers set to 2.0. (This doesnt affect your ability to pass 5.1 audio on the passthrough, as it essentially does nothing for a passthrough device, but the setting does enable the next option). Now under the passthrough section, where you select the capabilities of your receiver, under the AC3 capable reciever, there will be an option to enable Dolby Digital Transcoding. Enable that, and your AAC 5.1 will be transcoded to AC3 5.1 and passed through to your receiver as such.

credit give to :http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&page=210
by: Colin15150

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
To get XBMC to transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1, in the Audio Setting under System, ensure you have Passthrough enabled, and the number of speakers set to 2.0. (This doesnt affect your ability to pass 5.1 audio on the passthrough, as it essentially does nothing for a passthrough device, but the setting does enable the next option). Now under the passthrough section, where you select the capabilities of your receiver, under the AC3 capable reciever, there will be an option to enable Dolby Digital Transcoding. Enable that, and your AAC 5.1 will be transcoded to AC3 5.1 and passed through to your receiver as such.

credit give to :http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&page=210
by: Colin15150

Thank you so much! Did not see in XBMC that there was an advanced settings selection. Once I selected the advanced settings and chose the options as you specified, DD and DTS worked fine.:good:

SamuraiAlex

Aug 27, 2014
rrussell50, did this work for you? It did not work for me, and I am having the same issue. DTS works great, but DD 5.1 passthrough is not working. I am running Gotham 13.2 sideloaded. The FireTV has not been rooted.

Thank you so much! Did not see in XBMC that there was an advanced settings selection. Once I selected the advanced settings and chose the options as you specified, DD and DTS worked fine.:good:

rrussell50

Aug 19, 2014
rrussell50, did this work for you? It did not work for me, and I am having the same issue. DTS works great, but DD 5.1 passthrough is not working. I am running Gotham 13.2 sideloaded. The FireTV has not been rooted.

No it did not I was replying back finally to ask for instructions, even though I am familiar with handbrake and have used it for years I could use a refresher on changing audio streams and containers. I'm used to just converting everything to an apple approved codec to make it work across all devices

So I tried using the universal preset and changing some of the options in the audio to ac3 but that did not work

could really use some help

thanks

13.2 does work with DTS audio and Dolby 5.1 please read my first post and my reply to the person who previously had trouble with getting it work.

ars_92

Im not sure if this is of any help but I have DTS,AC3 and AAC 5.1 working with the fire TV. All I had to was basically what snowf0x wrote, and I also had the setting at "best match".

Could you post a screenshot of your audio settings? and maybe the title of your file so I could try it on my Fire TV?

Have not found any files which doesn't work yet. I also have mediacodec disabled with libstagefright enabled. The ONLY issue I have is LQ AVI files being a little choppy but that is a known issue with the fire TV.

rrussell50

Aug 19, 2014
Im not sure if this is of any help but I have DTS,AC3 and AAC 5.1 working with the fire TV. All I had to was basically what snowf0x wrote, and I also had the setting at "best match".

Could you post a screenshot of your audio settings? and maybe the title of your file so I could try it on my Fire TV?

Have not found any files which doesn't work yet. I also have mediacodec disabled with libstagefright enabled. The ONLY issue I have is LQ AVI files being a little choppy but that is a known issue with the fire TV.

Thanks for help, I want to be clear it is not all files it is just a small handful of files (the ones I posted on the previous page) that are giving me this problem. I have the exact same settings on my other XBMC boxes (Midnight Mx2, Apple TV 2) and it plays perfectly with Dolby Digital and DTS. Just for some reasons those 4 files out of the 100 I have play incorrectly.

If someone could just give me the settings in Handbrake to get them to play correctly that would solve my issue. If you PM I can tell you the files that I am using and you can test for yourself

Top Liked Posts