HOWTO run ANDROID on X1

Search This thread

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
This thread puts all the necessary steps together for sucessfully run the Android-release from THIS thread on the X1. Since many seem to have problems with that this may become handy :)

So lets get started!

What you need:
- latest XPEROID-release, fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z, get it here
- 7zip to extract it, get it here
- sd-card, using fat32-filesystem with 500MB free space

What you need to do with it:
1. Extract fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z on your computer. This will give you the following files:
- calibration, wlan-firmware
- haret.exe, runs the linux-kernel and android
- initrd.gz, initial ramdisk, needed for linux to boot (phase one)
- modules-2.6.27-00888-g339bdfc-dirty.tar.gz, linux- and android-driver for wlan
- rootfs.img, contains files needed for linux to continue boot (phase two)
- STARTUP.TXT, contains the parameter for haret.exe and boot-options for linux-kernel
- system.sqsh, contains all android system files
- zImage, contains the linux-kernel
- conf/*.user.conf, configuration files for android
- AndroidApps/*.apk, applications for android, installed during boot

2. Delete all the *.apk-files from the AndroidApps-directory. They are not needed for running android. You should keep the directory, just delete all files in it.

3. Download some essential android apps here, you will get essential_apps.zip. Extract it and put the apk-files into the AndroidApps/ folder.

4. go to conf/ and delete eclair.user.conf, then rename eclair.user.conf~ to eclair.user.conf. That will disable the swapfile.

5. open startup.txt and remove the mem-option mem=102M. This was suggested by hotlein here. That will increase the memory from 102m to 182M and improve android speed alot.

6. Copy all files and directories to the root of your sd-card. Do not create any directory, just copy them to the blank sd-card.

7. Put the sd-card in your phone if not already done. On the X1 open the sd-card and run haret.exe. You will get alot text running across the screen. During the boot-process, one file is created.
- data.img (256M). This file contains all the files normaly stored on the android-phone. Your settings, Applications, media, etc. You can always delete this file to reset android. It will be recreated.

First boot takes a while to complete, so be patient. Finally you should get the android welcome screen. Follow the on-screen-instructions and you are done!

Changing some settings
- IMPORTANT: Disable GPS in settings -> location & security -> Use GPS satellites, because it will hang the device!
- Turn off locks screen when holding red call button. Spare parts -> End button behaviour -> Nothing. That will simplify the shutdown procedure. Credits go to Reversedhex: Post

Now let's stop android
1. Press and hold the end-call-key. The phone starts to vibrate like crazy, ignore that.
2. After a few seconds a menu pops up. Dont release the button yet, keep holding it! If you changed end button behaviour, you can release it now.
3. Press down on the digi-pad. You may press it three times to go to the shutdown-option.
4. Now you can release the end-call-key. If you do not hold it, you will end up in the android lock screen.
5. Select shutdown option and confirm. Then android shuts down.

If you try another kernel-image (that is replacing zImage), the system may lock up during shutdown. Then you have to soft-reset your phone. But you should always try to shut android down.

Now you can update the linux-kernel:
1. Download the kernel-image, get the latest here. That gives you zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip.
2. Extract zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip to get zImage. This is the linux kernel.
3. Copy zImage to the root of your sd-card. You should always back up your existing zImage so you can go back.
4. Download wlan-modules, as they must match the kernel-image, get them from here. That gives you wlan-modules_20100325.zip.
5. Extract wlan-modules_20100325.zip to get modules-2.6.27-01006-ga30aafa-dirty.tar.gz. This archive contains the wlan modules. Do not extract this. Simply put this on the root of your sd-card. On android startup this file will be extracted on the modules copied for you.

As suggestet by angusmcb (post), i used for the latest kernel the latest cross-compiler.

Latest kernel from xdadev-repos with backlight control and correct battery readout, get it here. The archive also contains matching wlan-modules.

Troubleshooting
Q. Android will not boot
A1. check if all needed files are present
A2. check if you have enough free space on card. Android creates two big files during first boot, so you will need at least 384M free space.
A3. you can try to delete data.img and swapfile to reset android. This helps if you messed up settings in android.

Q. Wlan wont start
A1. check if file calibration on sd-card-root
A2. check if file modules-*.tar.gz matches kernel-image
A3. you may try to enable wlan in windows mobile before running haret.exe

Q. How to stop android from using data connection
A. go to settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> access point names and delete all apn-settings

Q. Android-screen is upside-down
A. Slide out keyboard -> android switches to landscape. Then slide keyboard in -> android switches to correct portrait.

Q. I have no ringtones
A1. Put the ringtones in the MEDIA\AUDIO\ringtones folder (post, post for folder structure)
A2. Take a look at this post. Some characters make the android media scanner crash.

Q. I can not enter pipe-symbol. Where to find keymaping
A1. Press function key, followed by shift key, followed by commer key (right hand side of space bar) (linuxtux post)
A2. For keymapping in general take a look here. That is the default android keymapping.

Q. I want live wallpapers
A. Here you go. But be prepared for performance loss.

Q. I can not send SMS
A. Check this post by jimipoh. It might help.

Done for today :)

Attachments

• zImage_kovsky_20100314.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,240
  • essential_apps.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 15,141
  • zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 6,943
  • wlan-modules_20100325.zip
    427.4 KB · Views: 4,849
Last edited:
Reactions: srmd

Muo

Aug 22, 2009
IL
vdelf, are you going to be taking over development for Android on the X1 as well? Or will this be instructions to get fatsal's functioning?

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
vdelf, are you going to be taking over development for Android on the X1 as well? Or will this be instructions to get fatsal's functioning?

This thread is mainly about how to get android working. I am trying to speed android up by partitioning the sdcard as fatsal mentioned. If it works there will be a HOWTO for that, too.

Until then i will continue to work the linux-kernel for X1-android until it is done :) (or i loose my X1, too ;) )

dexteral

Aug 23, 2009
This is pretty consize. I hope it sums up all the main points of fatsal thread on android

gbajzelj

May 28, 2009
Kranj
i have tried to run this android on X2. I run the haret. the BOOTING LINUX window fils the line al the way then there is no black and white running text like on X1. the start bar apeares on the bottom end of the screen. and nothing is responding.. i have waited more then 10 minutes but still nothing happens.

Lunie

Oct 30, 2009
(。◕‿◕。)
i have tried to run this android on X2. I run the haret. the BOOTING LINUX window fils the line al the way then there is no black and white running text like on X1. the start bar apeares on the bottom end of the screen. and nothing is responding.. i have waited more then 10 minutes but still nothing happens.

No no no! Your doing it wrong!! D:<

angusmcb

Oct 23, 2008
Nyköping
i have waited more then 10 minutes but still nothing happens.

Unfortunately, due to certain hardware limitations of the X2, boot time of the X1 kernel on the X2 can take a little longer. About 1.2 seconds after the sun explodes and extinguishes all life on Earth 4 billion years in the future, is a good estimate. ;)

Sorry :D

vdelf, will you be committing regularly to gitorious? Or do you have a scratch repo for messing around with?

dawen

Nov 13, 2008
also reserved for future updates

i always get an error saying mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: invalid argument
failed
failed to mount the sd card, cannot continue
/bin/sh: cant access tty; job control turned off

anybody has any idea? i am using sandisk mobile ultra 8gb mirco sdhc

sentiao

Aug 18, 2009
i had the bin/sh error too , first time.

when simply retrying -> it booted up to the "exploding X".
however, that screen froze on me.
i seem to get more progress though than with the material from the original threads.

the material from this topic has gotten me further than ever before. as i speak i'm booting a fresh one with the new kernel (from the start). it's upside down, but i hope this one works 'out of the box'.

persistence is paramount, as time passes the chance on reaching satisfaction approaches 1. how this satisfaction is achieved is up to you; may it be through running XPEROID, purchasing an android phone or simply giving up.

sentiao

Aug 18, 2009
I managed to get it back to the "exploding X" screen (using the first file, not the kernel update).

It seems to be stuck in the X screen though, it's looping (and stalling a little) for 20 minutes now. Last time I soft-resetted the phone after about 10 minutes of X-screen, and it mangled my sd card (meaning I had start from scratch). There is no text (or error message for that matter), so I don't know what is going on.

Is anyone familiar with this?

EDIT:
I paused my attempts for now. Same result over and over. I'm not able to find anything on this in the original thread (or possibly when I read every single post I might find something), search reveals nothing to me.

Last edited:

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008

You have to use a version of haret that supports your phone. As X1 and X2 have not identical hardware (or do they?) someone has to code X2-support to haret. Until then it will not work. :eek:

In startup.txt there is this line
Code:
set mtype 2006

This is for kovsky X1. For X2 there has to be a different value, but dont ask me about that :D

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
i always get an error saying mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: invalid argument
failed
failed to mount the sd card, cannot continue
/bin/sh: cant access tty; job control turned off

anybody has any idea? i am using sandisk mobile ultra 8gb mirco sdhc

It seems that your sd-card has no partition. If you use linux, you can check this very easy. On windows, you can try to reformat the card.

You can also try another card.

Chaosstorm

Jan 27, 2009
Woudnt it be possbile/smarter to put the android on your xperia's internal memory (when you have 300+mb free?) or woudnt there be any diffrence in speed?

ducamie

Apr 28, 2007
can you install apps from the market

or do you have to manually do it (pasting the apk to the sd)

?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread puts all the necessary steps together for sucessfully run the Android-release from THIS thread on the X1. Since many seem to have problems with that this may become handy :)

So lets get started!

What you need:
    - latest XPEROID-release, fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z, get it here
    - 7zip to extract it, get it here
    - sd-card, using fat32-filesystem with 500MB free space

What you need to do with it:
    1. Extract fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z on your computer. This will give you the following files:
    - calibration, wlan-firmware
    - haret.exe, runs the linux-kernel and android
    - initrd.gz, initial ramdisk, needed for linux to boot (phase one)
    - modules-2.6.27-00888-g339bdfc-dirty.tar.gz, linux- and android-driver for wlan
    - rootfs.img, contains files needed for linux to continue boot (phase two)
    - STARTUP.TXT, contains the parameter for haret.exe and boot-options for linux-kernel
    - system.sqsh, contains all android system files
    - zImage, contains the linux-kernel
    - conf/*.user.conf, configuration files for android
    - AndroidApps/*.apk, applications for android, installed during boot

2. Delete all the *.apk-files from the AndroidApps-directory. They are not needed for running android. You should keep the directory, just delete all files in it.

3. Download some essential android apps here, you will get essential_apps.zip. Extract it and put the apk-files into the AndroidApps/ folder.

4. go to conf/ and delete eclair.user.conf, then rename eclair.user.conf~ to eclair.user.conf. That will disable the swapfile.

5. open startup.txt and remove the mem-option mem=102M. This was suggested by hotlein here. That will increase the memory from 102m to 182M and improve android speed alot.

6. Copy all files and directories to the root of your sd-card. Do not create any directory, just copy them to the blank sd-card.

7. Put the sd-card in your phone if not already done. On the X1 open the sd-card and run haret.exe. You will get alot text running across the screen. During the boot-process, one file is created.
    - data.img (256M). This file contains all the files normaly stored on the android-phone. Your settings, Applications, media, etc. You can always delete this file to reset android. It will be recreated.

First boot takes a while to complete, so be patient. Finally you should get the android welcome screen. Follow the on-screen-instructions and you are done!

Changing some settings
    - IMPORTANT: Disable GPS in settings -> location & security -> Use GPS satellites, because it will hang the device!
    - Turn off locks screen when holding red call button. Spare parts -> End button behaviour -> Nothing. That will simplify the shutdown procedure. Credits go to Reversedhex: Post

Now let's stop android
    1. Press and hold the end-call-key. The phone starts to vibrate like crazy, ignore that.
    2. After a few seconds a menu pops up. Dont release the button yet, keep holding it! If you changed end button behaviour, you can release it now.
    3. Press down on the digi-pad. You may press it three times to go to the shutdown-option.
    4. Now you can release the end-call-key. If you do not hold it, you will end up in the android lock screen.
    5. Select shutdown option and confirm. Then android shuts down.

If you try another kernel-image (that is replacing zImage), the system may lock up during shutdown. Then you have to soft-reset your phone. But you should always try to shut android down.

Now you can update the linux-kernel:
    1. Download the kernel-image, get the latest here. That gives you zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip.
    2. Extract zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip to get zImage. This is the linux kernel.
    3. Copy zImage to the root of your sd-card. You should always back up your existing zImage so you can go back.
    4. Download wlan-modules, as they must match the kernel-image, get them from here. That gives you wlan-modules_20100325.zip.
    5. Extract wlan-modules_20100325.zip to get modules-2.6.27-01006-ga30aafa-dirty.tar.gz. This archive contains the wlan modules. Do not extract this. Simply put this on the root of your sd-card. On android startup this file will be extracted on the modules copied for you.

As suggestet by angusmcb (post), i used for the latest kernel the latest cross-compiler.

Latest kernel from xdadev-repos with backlight control and correct battery readout, get it here. The archive also contains matching wlan-modules.

Troubleshooting
    Q. Android will not boot
    A1. check if all needed files are present
    A2. check if you have enough free space on card. Android creates two big files during first boot, so you will need at least 384M free space.
    A3. you can try to delete data.img and swapfile to reset android. This helps if you messed up settings in android.

Q. Wlan wont start
    A1. check if file calibration on sd-card-root
    A2. check if file modules-*.tar.gz matches kernel-image
    A3. you may try to enable wlan in windows mobile before running haret.exe

Q. How to stop android from using data connection
    A. go to settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> access point names and delete all apn-settings

Q. Android-screen is upside-down
    A. Slide out keyboard -> android switches to landscape. Then slide keyboard in -> android switches to correct portrait.

Q. I have no ringtones
    A1. Put the ringtones in the MEDIA\AUDIO\ringtones folder (post, post for folder structure)
    A2. Take a look at this post. Some characters make the android media scanner crash.

Q. I can not enter pipe-symbol. Where to find keymaping
    A1. Press function key, followed by shift key, followed by commer key (right hand side of space bar) (linuxtux post)
    A2. For keymapping in general take a look here. That is the default android keymapping.

Q. I want live wallpapers
    A. Here you go. But be prepared for performance loss.

Q. I can not send SMS
    A. Check this post by jimipoh. It might help.

Done for today :)
    Can't run phone

I followed the steps, and android runs now. But when android is started you must enter the pin code. When I enter my code it says that it is incorrect, how can i fix this out?