[DEV] Ubuntu on Nexus S (natively)

Search This thread

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
www.steventroughtonsmith.com
Ok, so following on from the MeeGo thread, I have Ubuntu booting on the Nexus S using the same method and same kernel.

The Ubuntu image used is the HD2 Ubuntu image (v 0.3), loaded from a file on the internal memory (again, no flashing required - you can thank me later).

The touchscreen isn't yet working, but that's my kernel at fault. Will fix that with the MeeGo stuff.

If you want to try this yourself, first grab yourself a copy of Ubuntu for HD2, and take just the rootfs.ext2 file and drag it to your Nexus S (put it in a folder called 'ubuntu' - lowercase is important!).

Then use fastboot to boot the following image (or flash it to recovery partition if you're daring and know how dangerous that can be):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8657343/bootUbuntu.img

You will need to do one minor edit once the device is booted; you will see the screen output is very weird; ADB push the following file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and then reboot Ubuntu:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8657343/xorg.conf

If you're in any way interested, please click the thanks button! Otherwise, enjoy! :D

Attachments

• DSC00581.jpg
    DSC00581.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 12,228
Last edited:

dirk1978

Jan 4, 2010
UK
Thanks for this, gonna have a play now :)

Why is it dangerous to flash the boot image to recovery? Isn't fastboot lower level than recovery, or have I got that wrong?

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
I'd love it to be run from Android....i dont want it natively, just to test it...booting for example from an android app

paulle

Nov 1, 2010
can this method be used to install android 2.3 on a phone running android 2.1,
especilly in the case when upgrading is difficult because of kernel and locked bootloader (like motorola devices) ? excuse me if it is a silly question, i'm not a coder.

JDouce

May 7, 2009
Pontefract
would it be possible to make an app that re-boots into fastboot and runs the fastboot command. since we dont always have a comp available to run fasboot which makes this useless if your not at home, or have a laptop (in which case you dont need ubuntu on a phone)

Tyruiop

Feb 13, 2009
Ok, so I've got wifi working :). Here is my solution. A little bit crappy but... hey... it's a start ! Also, I tried compiling the kernel with the module built in and it wont boot, and I don't know why ?

Howto get wifi :

1) Boot Ubuntu following stroughtonsmith indications
2) Download http://tyruiop.org/~tyruiop/wifi_nexuss_ubuntu.tar.bz2
3) push the vendor directory at the root. The path must remain (/vendor/firmware etc...) and the bcm4329.ko file wherever you want.
4) reboot under ubuntu
5) *optional, only if ifconfig -a doesn't show eth0* type insmod /path/to/bcm4329.ko
6) Type "ifconfig -a". An eth0 interface should appear. It's wireless. You can configure it with wpa_supplicant without a problem :).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Rome
www.diegostamigni.com
Uhm.. with Nexus One, Ubuntu blocks on X SCREEN (before the classic bootanimation).. Maybe something that I do is wrong ?

- Download HD2 Ubuntu
- mkdir ubuntu/
- put in ubuntu/ the fs on the archive I downloader
- put ubuntu/ in the SDCARD
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot boot bootUbuntu.img

Is it correct ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so following on from the MeeGo thread, I have Ubuntu booting on the Nexus S using the same method and same kernel.

The Ubuntu image used is the HD2 Ubuntu image (v 0.3), loaded from a file on the internal memory (again, no flashing required - you can thank me later).

The touchscreen isn't yet working, but that's my kernel at fault. Will fix that with the MeeGo stuff.

If you want to try this yourself, first grab yourself a copy of Ubuntu for HD2, and take just the rootfs.ext2 file and drag it to your Nexus S (put it in a folder called 'ubuntu' - lowercase is important!).

Then use fastboot to boot the following image (or flash it to recovery partition if you're daring and know how dangerous that can be):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8657343/bootUbuntu.img

You will need to do one minor edit once the device is booted; you will see the screen output is very weird; ADB push the following file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and then reboot Ubuntu:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8657343/xorg.conf

If you're in any way interested, please click the thanks button! Otherwise, enjoy! :D
    Touch screen works with a few hacks. Had to sacrifice MT though :/
    Will upload later today, it's almost 6AM in germany.

Edit:
    here's a quick boot image to test for you guys. Download the image at ikosa dot de slash newboot dot img (I'm new here, so no links for me :/)
    You'll have to add an InputDevice entry with driver evdev and device /dev/input/event0.
    Touch screen was a best. I thought the four buttons had seperate sensors. Turns out they don't.
    Next step: WLAN! :)

clrokr
    What's the different between boot.img that I compile, for example, with the default .config of my Nexus One, form the CyanogenMod Kernel and a bootUbuntu.img?

I mean, there are any particulars options that I've to activate ?
    The boot.img contains the kernel for the Nexus S; it will not work in any way if you try it with the Nexus One.

You need to create your own boot.img for the Nexus One using the Nexus One or CM kernel tree with CONFIG_VT enabled, and modify the ramdisk in the boot.img accordingly (mount the right nodes, etc).