[HOW-TO]Flash T-Mobile USA Radio In Recovery

Search This thread

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010
HOW TO Flash T-Mobile USA Radio Via Recovery (Needs More Work/Tweaking)

All credit goes to he_stheone64 and his thread located here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2245615

Credit: The War Horse - for telling me the obvious, how to get the radio was listed in the thread above all along :p

I apologize this is my first stab at development and for any errors you may or may not run into. This is fully expected to work with he_stheone64 method above as the only thing I changed was the radio.img.

This thread taught me how to extract the T-mobile USA radio from my HTC One. Now its time for those in the community who really want to have T-mobile 3G speeds to test this out! :D

This is for you and you deserve it. As I promised with no more words....

This is how you can upgrade your RADIO without S-Off

1. Download Radio update.zip below and copy to your SD

2. Only an optional step for those, who want to have a Radio Firmware backup just in case

a) Connect your device via USB in recovery and open cmd in fastboot folder:

adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img

You will now have current Radio on SD as radio_firmware.img

Expected output:

PHP Code:
Code:
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img
153601+0 records in
153601+0 records out
78643712 bytes (75.0MB) copied, 11.826523 seconds, 5.4MB/s
3. Now just flash the Radio update.zip as usual in recovery, reboot your device and enjoy the T-mobile radio

In case you want / need to restore your current Radio backup:

Either you adjust updater script to radio_recovery.img or just do it via adb in recovery:

dd if=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31

Download Radio from:
https://mega.co.nz/#!d9wz0QDA!DF1QoGnkPuDt3ttjpGz1xSqh9U0ZDUtEpPG15vA_61E
MD5: 7BACD1B72F53859A52A3EB6CB3FB5433

Last edited:

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010
anybody tried? willit unlock 1700 aws?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda app-developers app

Give it a try. International radios have been flashed using this same tried and true method listed in the first post. All I did was add the t-mobile radio and viola! At this point everything is safe and its just the question will the developer/ATT phone let us call using T-mobile 3G :)

If it doesn't then please let us know and flash your original radios back from the back up in step 2.

G

GuestK00156

Give it a try. International radios have been flashed using this same tried and true method listed in the first post. All I did was add the t-mobile radio and viola! At this point everything is safe and its just the question will the developer/ATT phone let us call using T-mobile 3G :)

If it doesn't then please let us know and flash your original radios back from the back up in step 2.

Id love to try it on my dev edition, but i havent switched to tmobile yet. hopefully later this week, and my area has LTE and is refarmed. Id like to see a radio that enables all frequencies, but i dont think that its possbile. at least not yet.

illestfob

Mar 3, 2011
Boston, MA
I just flashed it. copied the old radio img, then flashed the zip file.

But I don't notice any difference in radio reception. Network connection changes from E to 3G to H to no service every few minutes just as before I flashed it...

I live in a refarmed area, but my G2 would always have a solid 4G connection in my room. Not to mention the service bars are between 2-3 on the One. I usually get full reception here.

rpmccormick

Dec 1, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro

But I don't notice any difference in radio reception. Network connection changes from E to 3G to H to no service every few minutes just as before I flashed it...

I live in a refarmed area, but my G2 would always have a solid 4G connection in my room. Not to mention the service bars are between 2-3 on the One. I usually get full reception here.

I don't want to flash it as I man return the device (for a TMO version, or maybe an S4/other), but I can confirm the same behavior with the stock radio:

1900 refarmed. Gets "H" sometimes, but never for long. Mostly switches between "E" and "3G". Old TMO phone had solid "H" always. My bars are about the same as before... usually... right now my phone is only showing 2 bars and "G" which must be slower than Edge I guess.

cellneuron

Nov 6, 2006
you may get same connection with tmo htc one in your area.

dksxmks

Jun 17, 2009
I'm on Tmo with a 32gb unlocked One, so I gave it a shot. I have a SGS2 as well so I know I get HSPA+ here and not Edge, which is what I'm getting now on my One.

I backed up the radio, unlocked the bootloader, flashed recovery, flashed supersu, flashed Tmo radio, did factory reset. No luck, still getting Edge on my One. :(

cellneuron

Nov 6, 2006
I'm on Tmo with a 32gb unlocked One, so I gave it a shot. I have a SGS2 as well so I know I get HSPA+ here and not Edge, which is what I'm getting now on my One.

I backed up the radio, unlocked the bootloader, flashed recovery, flashed supersu, flashed Tmo radio, did factory reset. No luck, still getting Edge on my One. :(

so it means either there is no 1700 band in unlocked version or need other tricks to unlock it.

xcesivemastub8ah

Apr 11, 2009
I don't want to flash it as I man return the device (for a TMO version, or maybe an S4/other), but I can confirm the same behavior with the stock radio:

1900 refarmed. Gets "H" sometimes, but never for long. Mostly switches between "E" and "3G". Old TMO phone had solid "H" always. My bars are about the same as before... usually... right now my phone is only showing 2 bars and "G" which must be slower than Edge I guess.

Keeping the solid "H" is just a tmobile software trick. Like all carriers they "tweak" their signal icons and bars to keep the icon on while in range of hspa+ but most, if not all, unlocked phones will show "3g" until you start transferring data such as opening a web page or syncing weather or mail, etc. then it'll show the "H". If youre showing "3g" then youre in 1900mhz "4g" range.
As for you only getting "G" it really sucks but you seem to be getting crappy signal.

msmith1991

Nov 17, 2008
Houston, Texas
Keeping the solid "H" is just a tmobile software trick. Like all carriers they "tweak" their signal icons and bars to keep the icon on while in range of hspa+ but most, if not all, unlocked phones will show "3g" until you start transferring data such as opening a web page or syncing weather or mail, etc. then it'll show the "H". If youre showing "3g" then youre in 1900mhz "4g" range.
As for you only getting "G" it really sucks but you seem to be getting crappy signal.

This actually makes sense

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010

Could you please post a picture or tell us what your baseband currently is? Just want to be sure the T-mobile radio did indeed flash over correctly.
settings>about>software information>More>Baseband version

should be:4A.14.3250.15_10.34.1150.02L

dksxmks

Jun 17, 2009
Could you please post a picture or tell us what your baseband currently is? Just want to be sure the T-mobile radio did indeed flash over correctly.
settings>about>software information>More>Baseband version

should be:4A.14.3250.15_10.34.1150.02L

That is what I have after flashing the Tmo Radio.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So guys, I have been unable to run the Dev Edition RUU on my T-Mobile One, even with a Dev Edition CID, because of a mismatching Model ID (MID), Mike1986's chart says our T-Mobile Ones are MID PN0712000 but in fact they are PN0713000, so the RUU doesn't work, and I feel even if I get it to work, OTAs will most definitely not work with mismatched MIDs. Anyone know if there is a way to change the MID without a modified HBOOT? Don't wanna go that far, S-Off was far enough lol.
    A group claims to have achieved S-OFF on the One (http://androidspin.com/2013/05/01/htc-one-s-off-achieved-htc-users-can-now-rejoice-as-well/) but they are charging for the service and you are required to send in your phone, which may indicate that it is a JTAG method.

What we need is a software method. I'm fairly confident this will happen, but I'm basing that on nothing by my perception of HTC with the release of this phone and their activity in the community (including their presence on Reddit and other forums where they are actively collecting user feedback).

S-Off is now a thing, I wonder if this will get traction again.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2314582
    I have a T-Mobile HTC One and I have S-Off'd and applied SuperCID after. I live in a refarmed area (with LTE already popping up in places) so I am willing to risk my HSPA on AWS band (possibly until a T-Mo RUU comes out) for the sake of getting closer to figuring this out lol. Will it help if I try an Developer Edition RUU which will flash over my radio partition? If I lose my HSPA on AWS band, it could mean that it really is only software but if I don't then there could actually be a hardware difference. Anyone get what I'm trying to say? Am I making sense?
    In your dialer type

*#*#4636#*#*

Should bring up all the info and you can see if it's like band 4/ etc

let me know if this works.

Takes me to a special menu, tells me what type of data connection I'm on, but I don't see the band anywhere. Anyone know which field I should be looking at exactly?

Oh, and I get out of work in about three hours. I will flash the RUU as soon as I get out. Hope I can figure out what to look for in the menu by then. If not I'll just go somewhere I know isn't refarmed and see if I only get 2G. Have some places a few minutes from me I can try.
    Okay I'm assuming your on dev edition RUU now?

Did you notice any difference in speeds or nothing so far?

Let me do some research and I'll post back, did you goto an area with edge and see if it did anything?

Sorry, no. That is just a mike1986 stock euro ROM with my CID changed to HTC__001. But it's T-Mobile radio so my AWS band has definitely been working while on this. The tricky part is what I'm about to do, which is change CID to Dev Edition and flash a Dev Edition RUU, which should flash over my T-Mo radio also. I am home from work now and gonna do it now. Wish me luck! If I lose the AWS band I won't get it back until a T-Mo RUU comes out, but for the sake of experimentation, I won't mind.