S3 no reception?

Search This thread

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
My friend got a phone from T-Mobile s3 few weeks ago and unlocked it to use it here in Canada in mobilicity network. But it has like 0 reception it gets reception for few mins than goes to 0 bars. Is it a radio issue or something else? Any help would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Are you sure the unlock was successful? Im not sure how it works in Canada but could it be blacklisted?
While it shows signal does it work for calls and data?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Yes unlock was successful and recognize the network. Gets reception you can make call after few mins loses it and goes to 0 it's not blacklisted as it was purchased outright from the retail store. Right now there is no Sim card on phone and it shows 4 bars.

and for some reason this is the newest s3 i think cause usually its t999v this one say t999l

Are you sure the unlock was successful? Im not sure how it works in Canada but could it be blacklisted?

Last edited:

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Yes unlock was successful and recognize the network. Gets reception you can make call after few mins loses it and goes to 0 it's not blacklisted as it was purchased outright from the retail store. Right now there is no Sim card on phone and it shows 4 bars.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
You might need a new sim card. And the T999V is only sold by the Canadian carriers. The T999L is the updated lte model of the original T999.

After unlocking were you able to use a sim from another carrier and have it work with zero issues? If you only tested it on the network you are reporting problems with that is not confirmation of a successful unlock. Try a sim from another carrier and see if it works.

If it is unlocked then it sounds like an old sim card type issue.

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
You might need a new sim card. And the T999V is only sold by the Canadian carriers. The T999L is the updated lte model of the original T999.

After unlocking were you able to use a sim from another carrier and have it work with zero issues? If you only tested it on the network you are reporting problems with that is not confirmation of a successful unlock. Try a sim from another carrier and see if it works.

If it is unlocked then it sounds like an old sim card type issue.

just tried my sim card same issue and we tried with 2 other brand new sim card from ssame provider. i just flashed this March 2014 - 4.3 JellyBean - New!
Note: This is based off of the stock image TMO T999LUVUBNC1
Download :: Download - root66_TMO-L_T999LUVUBNC1.7z through odin thought it might be radio issue but same thing.

her daughter has the same s3 with 4.1.2 and works perfect. can i downgrade through odin to 4.1.2? i think md5 modem might be better.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Unfortunately no. Once you flash 4.3 there is no going back. If its not working with any of the sim cards, try one from another carrier if possible.
Kinda sounds to me like its not unlocked. How did you go about attempting to get it unlocked?

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
She will come to pick the phone today I'll ask how did she unlock the phone. But if it wasnt unlocked how does it recognize the Sim? Can you suggest me a modem? But I will ask how she unlock it and let you know. Also when I flash the new 4.3 it didn't erase the call history and also when I reset the phone it doesn't seem like it resets it cause the call history's are still there.

Unfortunately no. Once you flash 4.3 there is no going back. If its not working with any of the sim cards, try one from another carrier if possible.
Kinda sounds to me like its not unlocked. How did you go about attempting to get it unlocked?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
She will come to pick the phone today I'll ask how did she unlock the phone. But if it wasnt unlocked how does it recognize the Sim? Can you suggest me a modem? But I will ask how she unlock it and let you know. Also when I flash the new 4.3 it didn't erase the call history and also when I reset the phone it doesn't seem like it resets it cause the call history's are still there.

You can only use the 4.3 modems now. When you flash firmware it doesnt erase your data. Not sure why it didnt on a factory reset though, unless its stored on sd.