General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
thank you sir for quick reply

do u suggest any other phone than htc xt or sg3

if i buy do you want me to buy from at&t or just buy it wtih regular price..

(I said one xl. The one you want to AVOID is the XT)
And AT&T has the big three of the big three right now, sgs 3, one x, and Atrix HD. However since you didn't like your experience with the s3, and the Atrix HD is worse than one xl and sgs3, I'd test your luck with the one x
As for buying full price or not... depends on if you don't mind sticking with the same phone for 2 years

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

TheNightHawk223

Jun 17, 2012
thank you sir for quick reply

do u suggest any other phone than htc xt or sg3

if i buy do you want me to buy from at&t or just buy it wtih regular price..

Defiantly BUY IT OFF CONTRACT FROM ROGERS! AT&T ones are not rootable as of currently. All other brands such as Rogers are rootable so buy it off contract from Rogers if you can...

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Vigi1296

Sep 18, 2012
Navi Mumbai
SGS3 not so good

SGS3 is known to have a very poor battery life due to its quad core,which actually overpowers the tons of features it has,if you like to take ur phone outside,there is a probability that the phone may get discharged soon,which is really bad if u are out all the time :(

Silversayajin

Jan 27, 2012
hello i was thinking about getting a 10 inch tablet with android running but the most seem to be very expensive so i wanted to know which tablet would probably be best price/benefit ratio. An important point for me is 3G so i can surf when im not at home

Mixz1890

Sep 30, 2010
HTC One S vs LG P880 Quad Core

HTC One S vs LG P880. I mainly use my phone for internet and cam/video cam. sometimes i play games but not too much. im interested in longer battery life and these phones for me cost about the same.

Last edited:

ndaniel

Jun 12, 2012
Gift for my wife

hello all,

Just looking for a android phone to gift to my gf.
She need to use a browser, a gps and take photo or video.
My idea was buy a galaxy nexus for 320euro and be happy for at least the next 2 year.
Is this a good idea or any suggestion

Thx in advance
Daniel

gdourado

Jan 4, 2012
Hello.
I am thinking about picking up a tablet to complement my nexus phone.
I am currently debating between the nexus 7 and the Acer A700.
Can you ease give me some opinions? I really like the nexus experience on my phone with regard to pure android and timely updates.
How is Acer in regard to updates?
The A700 seems like it has a much better screen.
I am also afraid the nexus 7 is too close in size to my phone and I might end up not using it a lot...

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

miosine

Account currently disabled
Jan 25, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
hello all,

Just looking for a android phone to gift to my gf.
She need to use a browser, a gps and take photo or video.
My idea was buy a galaxy nexus for 320euro and be happy for at least the next 2 year.
Is this a good idea or any suggestion

Thx in advance
Daniel

Or you can buy HTC One S, it captures great photos and slow motion video (120fps), has LTE for faster browsing, + good sound and super AMOLED screen, + minimalistic design like other HTC phones, only bad side for me is the Micro SD slot, which doesnt exist :D if she dont need so much space, you can buy this phone...

Hello.
I am thinking about picking up a tablet to complement my nexus phone.
I am currently debating between the nexus 7 and the Acer A700.
Can you ease give me some opinions? I really like the nexus experience on my phone with regard to pure android and timely updates.
How is Acer in regard to updates?
The A700 seems like it has a much better screen.
I am also afraid the nexus 7 is too close in size to my phone and I might end up not using it a lot...

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

A700 of course, Not only screen there is better, Dolby and there is also rear camera, which is really useful thing, but if you just wanna have good tablet, buy Galaxy note 10.1, its the most powerful and amazing tablet in the world for now...

Please... Any help from the experts??? :(

Galaxy SIII, because it has Super AMOLED screen (more battery friendly), faster, new touchwiz ui has amazing features, Micro SD card slot, better battery, already has JB ROMS (with touchwiz) and more...

Last edited:

NeoFox69

Jan 19, 2012
Lisboa
HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII?

Galaxy SIII, because it has Super AMOLED screen (more battery friendly), faster, new touchwiz ui has amazing features, Micro SD card slot, better battery, already has JB ROMS (with touchwiz) and more...

Thanks for Your help... It's 1+ more to the S3...
And what about the quality of the phone? What's your opinion?
I've always liked HTC, but no sd-card slot and no battery access...
I've read that the S3 has battery issues, and that the HTC has better screen, better camera, and frankly, I'm used to Sense phones...
But I want opinions to buy the next one, because it's not cheap phones, and I want to try the "best" of the two... ;)

Thanks AGAIN for your opinion... :)

IamWarship

Sep 17, 2012
Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2 7" or ?

Trying to decide between these two.

The Nexus looks to have the better hardware. Gorilla Glass is nice. But, with only 8Gb of memory, so much for throwing much onto it. It seems like a tablet built to continually use data.

I have the Student Edition of the GT27 and only a handful of days left before the 30-day moneyback runs out. Does not appear to have Gorilla Glass, a negative, although I am sure the Samsung version is probably close enough for jazz. If I keep it, I will put a Zagg on it anyway. It came with 8Gb onboard, but I have several spare 16Gb mSD's laying around, so no memory worries. It came with an offer to download the entire first season of "Suits" from HBO. All of those are now on the card. It seems to play all of games I like.

miosine

Account currently disabled
Jan 25, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Thanks for Your help... It's 1+ more to the S3...
And what about the quality of the phone? What's your opinion?
I've always liked HTC, but no sd-card slot and no battery access...
I've read that the S3 has battery issues, and that the HTC has better screen, better camera, and frankly, I'm used to Sense phones...
But I want opinions to buy the next one, because it's not cheap phones, and I want to try the "best" of the two... ;)

Thanks AGAIN for your opinion... :)

Ive read that One X has low quality and not only read, my friend works on Samsung RemZone and confirmed that... But really, it has better camera... Screen isnt better, its just brighter, its LCD and have bad black levels, saturation and when screen is off it looks grey instead of black, Samsung is more like the black, I dont know what you mean about Battery issues, but it is about 300mAh bigger than HTCs one... OK, HTC One X looks great with it minimalistic design (has less free space on top), but really Samsung better...
And how I understand, HTC goes down: they promised ICS update for DHD, but canceled it, delay updates for other devices, have removed SRS and Dolby from Sense 4.0, Im disappointed :p

Or you can buy Note II: my favorite device, yet... :D

Oh, and sorry for my bad English...

Last edited:

IamWarship

Sep 17, 2012
Ive read that One X has low quality and not only read, my friend works on Samsung RemZone and confirmed that... But really, it has better camera... Screen isnt better, its just brighter, its LCD and have bad black levels, saturation and when screen is off it looks grey instead of black, Samsung is more like the black, I dont know what you mean about Battery issues, but it is about 300mAh bigger than HTCs one... OK, HTC One X looks great with it minimalistic design (has less free space on top), but really Samsung better...
And how I understand, HTC goes down: they promised ICS update for DHD, but canceled it, delay updates for other devices, have removed SRS and Dolby from Sense 4.0, Im disappointed :p

Or you can buy Note II: my favorite device, yet... :D

Oh, and sorry for my bad English...

I it helps, I have been running the S3 for about two months without battery issues. The screen is bright and the colors much more vivid than my Droid R2D2. It also feels great to hold and the camera is sweet. Burst shot with Best Shot turned is excellent.

NeoFox69

Jan 19, 2012
Lisboa
HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII?

I it helps, I have been running the S3 for about two months without battery issues. The screen is bright and the colors much more vivid than my Droid R2D2. It also feels great to hold and the camera is sweet. Burst shot with Best Shot turned is excellent.

If you don't mind... How many hours your battery last?

Samsung Galaxy S3 -> 2
HTC One X -> 1

Thanks for your opinion... ;)

Last edited:

gdourado

Jan 4, 2012
Or you can buy HTC One S, it captures great photos and slow motion video (120fps), has LTE for faster browsing, + good sound and super AMOLED screen, + minimalistic design like other HTC phones, only bad side for me is the Micro SD slot, which doesnt exist :D if she dont need so much space, you can buy this phone...

A700 of course, Not only screen there is better, Dolby and there is also rear camera, which is really useful thing, but if you just wanna have good tablet, buy Galaxy note 10.1, its the most powerful and amazing tablet in the world for now...

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.
I was just at a store and played with the galaxy tab 10.1.
I have to say I was very disappointed with its screen.
I accessed XDA forum on the browser, and with the forum zoomed out, I couldn't read the text... The screen low PPI didn't allow it...
So now I am kind of torn between the Nexus 7, because of it's lower size, it has more PPI, or the A700 or even the Ipad 3 with it's retina display...
How is Acer on Android updates?

Cheers!

IamWarship

Sep 17, 2012
I want to buy nexus s for 120$, but screen is little cracked. Is that OK?

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

If you have the skills to replace the screen and that is all that is wrong with it, maybe. You would also have the cost of the replacement screen to add to your $120.

I would spend a little more. An S3 on contract is only $200-$250 in the US.

foreverthejester

Mar 7, 2011
Evo 3D or Photon 4g

Short Version: As far as rooting and available roms go which would I be better off with Evo 3D or Photon 4G? Either will be free.
Long Version:
I recently have had a bunch of problems with my Evo 4G that was replaced by Asurion. It took 3 times to get one that was better than the rest but still not right. After a few months of use it too started to act up. A 45 minute phone call later they sent me an Evo 3D to replace my 4G. Out of the box it had the infamous freeze/reboot syndrome. Yet another 45 minute phone call later I was offered either another Evo 3D or Photon 4G. So from an after market rooting point of view which would I be better off with? I have researched the roms available but still can't decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone had any input on this, I only have until this afternoon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)