Locking the screen

Search This thread

mcamou

Jan 27, 2009
Hi all,

I rooted my Nook Simple Touch via TouchNooter 2.1.31. No hitches aside from the Market giving me a Server Error just after installing, which cleared up the next day. Since now I have my email (and in the future other sensitive apps/info) on the Nook I would like to be able to lock the screen like a full Android phone or tablet. Is this possible? I don't necessarily mean having the exact same way of locking (i.e., press the power button and the screen locks) but at least an app for doing that would be great. Any ideas?

Thanks!

smerrett

Oct 29, 2012
Set a PIN lock on your Nook.

In an ADB shell:

Code:
am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin

Hi, I'm very new to rooting and have managed to get tinynoot to root my UK Simple Touch Glowlight. I can use the adb install in my command prompt but when I copied your script into the command prompt I just got a list of commands. I have looked at the adb command instructions here http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html#commandsummary but still can't work out what to do. Would you mind giving me some slightly more detailed instructions for adding the lockscreen from a windows command prompt?

Thanks

EDIT 1: Just brought myself up to speed on shell stuff. Thank you, thank you, thank you Renate NST!!!!

Last edited:

icouldntfindit

May 9, 2013
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I am having a problem and I am bit of a blind baboon in a maze with all this.

I followed the directions as best I could: connected rooted Nook, started adb shell then:
Code:
# am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin 1111
am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin 1111
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW dat=1111 }
Error: Activity not started, unable to resolve Intent { act=android.intent.actio
n.VIEW dat=1111 flg=0x10000000 }

Tried other things too but I can't code for toffees so.. :D

Can you help?

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I am having a problem and I am bit of a blind baboon in a maze with all this.

I followed the directions as best I could: connected rooted Nook, started adb shell then:
Code:
Error: Activity not started, unable to resolve Intent { act=android.intent.actio

Can you help?

Presumably that's your desired PIN (i.e. 1111?)

You don't put it on the command line, am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin starts the PIN chooser activity on your Nook and you enter it there, twice, to set it.

Reactions: icouldntfindit

jasonmehmel

Nov 22, 2013

You don't put it on the command line, am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin starts the PIN chooser activity on your Nook and you enter it there, twice, to set it.

I have to say thank you, first, for providing this information! It was exactly what I wanted.

Now, though, I've been locked out of my device. I think pressure from inside my bookbag created a bunch of readings that the nook took as attempts to access the system, and I'm locked out after 'too many pattern attempts.' It says: "to unlock, sign in with your Google account." But I do that, with no response. (This is without active wi-fi, which I can't activate anyway!)

I was hoping I could use ADB to reset the PIN again, but ADB doesn't appear to recognize the system; maybe it's not opening up the device to USB until it gets unlocked.

I'm currently on the road so I can't go back to my home wi-fi...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev

Well, on my Nook, I'd open up the Nook, hook into the console connector and do the SQLite solution to delete the lock and reboot.
You probably never got around to soldering a console connector to your Nook.

If you had access to ADB you could do the same.
Apparently you have ADB over WiFi and the WiFi is off.

I could also boot up on Clockwork Mod Recovery and use ADB over USB.
(I already have CWM as my recovery internally.)

You could put CWM on an SD card and boot that.

Reactions: jasonmehmel

jasonmehmel

Nov 22, 2013

I basically did that. Not CWM specifically, but factory resetting it and then re-rooting it. I'm getting a lot of practice at rooting the little son of a gun...

MRXIII

Dec 23, 2013
Hello,

I have just rooted my nook ST glowlight using Nook manager, and it is my first android device so I am not very familiar with this world. I have installed android SDK on my laptop and started an adb console. I can see my device connected when I list the devices but when I run

it says that 'am' is not recongnized as a command.

Could you please help here?

Many thanks

MRXIII

Dec 23, 2013
Interesting. Try
Code:
ls -l /system/bin/am
ls -l /system/bin/pm
Did you accidentally delete something?
This is the NG1 (old black Nook Glow)?

Hi Renate

Thank you for your reply. I am using windows, is ls supposed to work with adb ? I have tried but it says the same :/
'ls' is not recognized...

I did not delete anything as far as I know. It is the nook Simple touch glowlight (black)

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In an ADB shell:

Code:
    I don't know if there is an easy user way to do this, but:

Code:
    sqlite3 settings.db
    delete from system where name like 'lock%';
    .q

Either do this on the Nook in /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
    Or else adb pull it, sqlite3 it, adb push it.
    Thanks! Now if I could only get adb to work... doing adb shell gives me "error: device not found", and turning on AdbWireless and trying to connect with adb connect just hangs.

In an ADB shell:

Code:

Code:

Can you help?

Well, on my Nook, I'd open up the Nook, hook into the console connector and do the SQLite solution to delete the lock and reboot.
    You probably never got around to soldering a console connector to your Nook.

If you had access to ADB you could do the same.
    Apparently you have ADB over WiFi and the WiFi is off.