Terrible battery performance

Search This thread

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Since you're coming from a flip phone. One thing you need to get used to is poor battery life on smartphones. Lasting a full day or more on a smartphone is generally pretty good.

They are all pretty crappy with the exception of a Razr Maxx and Maxx HD.

Calvinx1

Jan 31, 2011
Good battery life!

I have the xt925 no maxx and the first day I was scared about how fast the juice was going! but I did some things and now Im pretty happy with it!

First I turned off the 4G, I use movil data just to text with two programs so I almost dont need 4G speed

brightness set to auto

freeze or delete bloatware, here in Mexico Telcel adds a lot of **** to the phones!

I use trebuchet launcher so no circle widget, no widgets in fact, fc with every widget but u can use holo launcher hd it work well and can use widgets (no circle widget)

Wi fi on, now there are wifi almost everywere so I let it on (use any program to predict default passwords)

And believe me! the batt last enought!! I use the screen indoors mainly but alot of messaging and web browsing, some gamming and trying apps and Im in second day (suspended 6 hrs when I slept) and there are a lot of juice, meaby I finish the second day lets see.

Hope it helps you guys.

Liandros

Apr 17, 2011
No problems with my battery life most of the time! Razr HD(not MAXX) with Rogers

Screenshot_2013-01-13-17-22-29.jpg

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
So i played around with my settings and have gotten my battery to last a lot longer now. My data and wifi disable whenever i lock my screen and it auto-syncs my emails and facebook every 2 hours. I turned off my LTE and only use HSPA+, since i only use it for browsing and streaming radio (the extra 2 seconds it takes to load a page isn't a problem to me). In the morning i listen to the edge, and when the DBS is over i listen to music on my phone. So far i've managed to get about 4-5 hours of screen on time. So in total i listen to 2 hours of internet radio in the morning and 2 hours of music on the way home, and in between my day i get 4-5 hours of screen time. I didn't think of taking a screen shot at the time but i will post some later.

Motorolalover

Jan 2, 2013
Toronto
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I charged my phone around 10 hours ago. Mobile Data is Off, Wi-fi Off the battery is still 100%. I am amazed with the results. I was expecting it go down atleast 2-3% even when it was sitting idle. I wonder how much battery LTE consumes. Will be testing it soon.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
I charged my phone around 10 hours ago. Mobile Data is Off, Wi-fi Off the battery is still 100%. I am amazed with the results. I was expecting it go down atleast 2-3% even when it was sitting idle. I wonder how much battery LTE consumes. Will be testing it soon.

A lot, with WiFi and data off your phone switches to 2G, which we all know takes up almost nooo battery. As for LTE, there's a reason its still voice only and your phone swaps down to h+ or 3g on a call

Zodwraith

Oct 23, 2012
Salt Lake
I remember going through the forums trying to squeeze that extra 1/2 hour out of my og RAZR. Turning off this and that and shading my screen so i could read it at min brightness. This is exactly why i dropped the extra bill for the Maxx this go round. $100 is a small price to not have to care about your battery ever again.

Its not that Moto is doing it right so much as everyone else is doing it wrong. Any phone that gives less than 8 hours of heavy usage should be black balled to tell manufacturers we want realistic up time. The HD's life should be the minimum. Anything less is a toy, not a tool.

Sent from my Motorola DROID RAZR HD MAXX SUPER HYPER TURBO MEGA DELUXE ALPHA EDITION.

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
Battery life on Razr will vary quite extremely depending on your usage pattern.

If you keep the phone on standby, it could definitely last 10 or 15 days. But once you start using screentime, i think it will last something like 8 hours.

MAXX is a nice bump. 2530mAh -> 3300mAh, that's 30% extra juice, but ultimately that's still only about 2.5 hours more screen time.

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
Well, in my case...xt925, manufactured january 2013, JB 4.1.2 stock, non rooted, locked bootloader, Brazil. Monster battery! Monster phone!

Sent from my RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360990097551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360990097551.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 495
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360990106392.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360990106392.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 470
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360990118017.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360990118017.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 489

mgerbasio

Jun 8, 2004
I was using the RAZR M, just switched to the HD Maxx. I really haven't put the phone through more than a couple hours of use. I took it off the charger yesterday after being fully charged and 14 hours later (no use, overnight) I had 99% battery. My M would be at 85%. I really like the M, one of the best cell phones I had but the signal on the HD is much better which is why I bought it.

What worked for me in getting great battery life from my M: Go into Google Maps, settings and turn off location reporting from this phone. It virtually doubled my battery life on the M where I'm get 14 hours with 90 minutes of talk time and still have 30% battery.

Also, I use a profile manager with a widget where I can set my phone to airplane mode. Generally before I jump on the subway, I put it in airplane mode for 15 minutes. Same if I'm working where there is no cell service.

I'd like to see Motorola have a smart action that would stop the phone hunting for 4G when the signal is weak and put the phone into no mobile data when it is on 1x for fixed times, say 10 minutes then check signal again.

Reactions: sumomuscle

sumomuscle

Dec 6, 2010
I was using the RAZR M, just switched to the HD Maxx. I really haven't put the phone through more than a couple hours of use. I took it off the charger yesterday after being fully charged and 14 hours later (no use, overnight) I had 99% battery. My M would be at 85%. I really like the M, one of the best cell phones I had but the signal on the HD is much better which is why I bought it.

What worked for me in getting great battery life from my M: Go into Google Maps, settings and turn off location reporting from this phone. It virtually doubled my battery life on the M where I'm get 14 hours with 90 minutes of talk time and still have 30% battery.

Also, I use a profile manager with a widget where I can set my phone to airplane mode. Generally before I jump on the subway, I put it in airplane mode for 15 minutes. Same if I'm working where there is no cell service.

I'd like to see Motorola have a smart action that would stop the phone hunting for 4G when the signal is weak and put the phone into no mobile data when it is on 1x for fixed times, say 10 minutes then check signal again.

This definitely worked for me. I've been trying to figure out why I would still get significant drain while in standby (approximately 2%/hour) and while using smart actions to shut off wifi and data off when the screen is off. Since I've turned off location reporting my standby time is rock solid. Put it on my shelf at 12:00am with 54% and woke up at 7:00am with 54%.

vctrrl

Feb 7, 2013
Niterói
Screenshot_2013-03-15-22-27-56.jpg

I would love if my battery could last more... But, overall, it's good duration, I think. Wifi was on all the time, brightness at 30%, no gps.

Is there anything I can do to make it last more time?

idless

Jul 5, 2012
The way I see it Android Jelly Bean (including Razr hd) has two battery options. With Google Now: on or off.

If you leave it on (default) JB will have much worse battery life than ICS but you can enjoy Google Now 's nice location based services.

Turn it off (and other location based settings such as auto update location in google settings) battery life will become MUCH better.

I think Google's 'possible mistake' is not to proberly inform users of the disadvantages of the relatively advanced features of Google Now. Personally I am still undecided whether Google Now is worth it or not.

I have also disabled motorola services to reduce wake locks. That means I will not recieve updates automaticly until I enable the servies again, but that is of no significance for me. I can enable whenever i feel like it easily and it is not like I will die if I do not get an update at the very instance it is released. This also provides some extra battery life.

Wifi should be set to always on i advanced wifi settings. In general Wifi should be used whenever available as it is much less taxing on the battery than the mobile data radio.

Of cause there is not much to do about the battery consumption by the screen. This is simply a cost of having a big HD screen is to my knowledge not a less significant issue on other big screen phones. I don't think new phones with 1080p screens will fare any better on this issue.
If really concerned maybe choose a black wallpaper (less pixels are turned on which is supposed to save battery on AMOLED screens).

Finally I do not know if has any battery implication but I have installed a third party launcher (Nova). Moto own launcher is ok but simple does not compete with third party launchers constantly beeing improved upon. Nova launcher is very smooth!

On my phone (XT925, bootlocked, non-rooted with o2 4.1.2 JB firmware) I very very rarely experience lag and i have very good battery life (in particular standby time). With some minor tweeking I am extremely pleased with this phone!

vctrrl: your screen time is bound to by very high! Not much to do about this. Also: You will face same problem on any other phone with big screen such as new and upcomming 5inch phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: vctrrl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Two things to fix,

one, adjust your brightness to auto. The higher the brightness, the faster your battery dies, that is massive screen use.

two, poor wifi/cellular reception = ****ty battery, the phone uses more power to lock onto signal.

Dont use task killers, they do more harm than good.

I adjusted the brightness on my tbolt and I doubled battery life
    This is after taking it off the charger at 0800, I use my phone all day with limited smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
    Do you think its my battery? I got suckered into the futureshop warranty and they said since my battery can't be replaced if anything happens to the battery they will replace my phone for one of an equal value or greater if i pay the difference.

nah, just change the sync settings to longer and set your brightness to auto and see what happens over the next few days and report back.
    I noticed the biggest difference when turning off WiFi and mobile locations.

Also 4.1.2 seemed to increase my battery life dramatically too.
    I don't think setting the brightness to Auto is the best for saving battery. When in auto, the light sensor is turned on and some processing has to be done to define the brightness every time the screen is turned on. And that consumes energy.

I always keep mine at 50% and, when in very bright places, I go for 100% brightness.