[ADV][DEV][STOCK IMAGE]Nook Color 1.01 stock dd images

Search This thread

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
I bought my own nook color on saturday, there doesn't appear to be a factory image that can be restored. My new nook color came with version 1.01 preinstalled. Before turning it on the first time I put in nookie froyo and did a dd of all 8 of the stock partitions. Below is the zipped up .img files of mmcblk0p1/mmcblk0p5 (boot/system) from a stock untouched 1.01 nook color. I am also including the factory.zip. This should be enough to restore a bricked nook color with a corrupted boot or system partition. Many people have been able to restore to stock by just using the boot.img because after 8 failed boots it will do a factory reset.
To make this work you must have ADB working first. You may be able to get this to work on ADB Wireless, but I don't recommend it. For instructions on getting adb to work with the nook color go here:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

To use these files unzip them to the sdcard portion of a nookie froyo sdcard, or just about any other rom that runs from the sdcard and run the following commands in an adb shell:

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

Boot
System
factory.zip

Last edited:

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Yes. But I only used boot.img. Then restored to stock with 8 failed boots. Dd'ing system will also work.
If it dosen't boot, do a factory reset with power+n.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Yes. And I would also do a power+n reset at the end, to avoid any problems.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

vigeh4

Jan 20, 2011
shad0wf0x,

I am having the same problem with my NC not booting after a failed attempt at
re-rooting. I will tell you in advance that I am VERY tech-phobic and don't comprehend all this command-line stuff well at all.

Given your original post above, could you please explain in layman's terms EXACTLY what steps to take to restore my NC to like-new? And hopefully it can be done with just simply putting some files on a micro SD and that's it. Please let me know from start to finish how I do this. Appreciate your help in advance.

vigeh4

P.S. I know I had no business doing this, but I screwed my unit up anyway. I already tried the 8-step interrupt thing before re-rooting but with no success.

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
vigeh4,

First download the first 2 files, system and boot, and then unzip them. Then you need to copy those 2 files (system.img and boot.img) to the sdcard, either while booted up in nookie froyo or by putting the sdcard in your computer. Then you must have adb working on your computer. open a command prompt or terminal(windows or mac/linux) and go to the location where your working adb is and copy and paste those commands into the window to run them.

Code:

Reactions: Parf2700 and Ign3nt

vigeh4

Jan 20, 2011
vigeh4,

First download the first 2 files, system and boot, and then unzip them. Then you need to copy those 2 files (system.img and boot.img) to the sdcard, either while booted up in nookie froyo or by putting the sdcard in your computer. Then you must have adb working on your computer. open a command prompt or terminal(windows or mac/linux) and go to the location where your working adb is and copy and paste those commands into the window to run them.

Code:

Sorry, I am WAY confused about how to do this. This adb crap is over my head.
Maybe I just have a $250 paperweight at this point. If I mail you my NC, would you reset to "factory" for a small fee?

Thanks.

gconol

Jan 18, 2011
OMFG, thank you very much for these files and instructions.

I really thought I bricked it to the point of no return. I initially screwed it up when I installed Clockwork and wouldn't boot past "N", then after tinkering around some more, it wouldn't even turn on ... lol.

gconol

Jan 18, 2011
@vigeh

First you need to unzip those files you just downloaded. Second, you need to copy the "boot.img" and "system.img" (not the *.zip) to the "/SDCARD" folder on your SDCARD. I had to use WIFI FILE Explorer in Nookie Froyo cuz I messed up my nook so bad, i couldn't copy these files by turning on the USB Storage through the regular method. It took me days to figure this out cuz i'm kinda slow.

I hope you installed the Android-SDK on your computer already. If so, then go to the folder named "\platform-tools" on your PC - this is where ADB.EXE is located. Connect your nook and type "ADB DEVICES" just to make sure your nook is connected to the computer. It'll show up and tell you it is or not. If it is connected then do the following:

1. Type "ADB SHELL" then you'll see a "#" symbol after you hit enter.
2. Type "dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1" just the way it is written by the original poster (minus the "" marks)

at this point, it usually wont say anything. Just wait a few minutes and something will pop up. In my case, it says:

"477033984 bytes <454.9MB> copied, 138.757660 seconds, 3.3MB/s"
"#"

3. Type the second command next to the "#" sign "dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"

wait another few minutes til the next confirmation pops up.

4. turn off nook, remove SD card
5. Hold the N button and the Power button at the same time and it'll ask you to reset the nook to factory settings.

I hope this helps you ....

mmaner

Jun 29, 2010
Alabama
maner.us
well im a tard... i did this without reading that YOU CANNOT HAVE GOOGLE APPS!!!! so anyway Im trying to get back to a stock image, but i cant figure out how to copy 700 med +/- of images to 134 meg f free space. someone un-tard me plz :). thanks

Sir a teema

Jan 20, 2011
I have ClockworkMod Recovery installed, and if I put the factory.zip you provided on my sd card and use the option 'install zip from sdcard' will that in fact install factory settings on the nook?

I tried to do the 8 failed boots, but cannot get it to work with this installed.

Ign3nt

Jan 18, 2011
vigeh4,

Code:

How do you get to your "working adb?" I'm probably even more ignorant on this SDK stuff that vigeh4. I have SDK installed though.

Ign3nt

Jan 18, 2011
@vigeh

First you need to unzip those files you just downloaded. Second, you need to copy the "boot.img" and "system.img" (not the *.zip) to the "/SDCARD" folder on your SDCARD. I had to use WIFI FILE Explorer in Nookie Froyo cuz I messed up my nook so bad, i couldn't copy these files by turning on the USB Storage through the regular method. It took me days to figure this out cuz i'm kinda slow.

I hope you installed the Android-SDK on your computer already. If so, then go to the folder named "\platform-tools" on your PC - this is where ADB.EXE is located. Connect your nook and type "ADB DEVICES" just to make sure your nook is connected to the computer. It'll show up and tell you it is or not. If it is connected then do the following:

2. Type "dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1" just the way it is written by the original poster (minus the "" marks)

at this point, it usually wont say anything. Just wait a few minutes and something will pop up. In my case, it says:

"#"

3. Type the second command next to the "#" sign "dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"

5. Hold the N button and the Power button at the same time and it'll ask you to reset the nook to factory settings.

Thanks to Shadowf0x for getting ABD to work :)
I have a question though, if I dont have the file "SDCARD" in my SD card then can I just make a new file and name it SDCARD, and put both of the .img's into it?

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
I have ClockworkMod Recovery installed, and if I put the factory.zip you provided on my sd card and use the option 'install zip from sdcard' will that in fact install factory settings on the nook?

I tried to do the 8 failed boots, but cannot get it to work with this installed.

I'm not sure if that will work, I guess it's worth a try, however if you replace the existing factory.zip and do a factory reset you will restore back to 1.01 instead of 1.0 if you don't already have a nc that has 1.01 on it. I saw another thread about trying to use the factory.zip with cwm, but I didn't see anyone coming back and say it worked. How to flash back to stock is found here:
http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
well im a tard... i did this without reading that YOU CANNOT HAVE GOOGLE APPS!!!! so anyway Im trying to get back to a stock image, but i cant figure out how to copy 700 med +/- of images to 134 meg f free space. someone un-tard me plz :). thanks

The nookie froyo sdcard partition for me was 900+m, and I've heard that all you need to do for this to work is to flash the boot.img.

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks to Shadowf0x for getting ABD to work :)
I have a question though, if I dont have the file "SDCARD" in my SD card then can I just make a new file and name it SDCARD, and put both of the .img's into it?

You could try to mount the media partition in nookie froyo and put them there.
The partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 and type is vfat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my own nook color on saturday, there doesn't appear to be a factory image that can be restored. My new nook color came with version 1.01 preinstalled. Before turning it on the first time I put in nookie froyo and did a dd of all 8 of the stock partitions. Below is the zipped up .img files of mmcblk0p1/mmcblk0p5 (boot/system) from a stock untouched 1.01 nook color. I am also including the factory.zip. This should be enough to restore a bricked nook color with a corrupted boot or system partition. Many people have been able to restore to stock by just using the boot.img because after 8 failed boots it will do a factory reset.
    To make this work you must have ADB working first. You may be able to get this to work on ADB Wireless, but I don't recommend it. For instructions on getting adb to work with the nook color go here:
    http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

To use these files unzip them to the sdcard portion of a nookie froyo sdcard, or just about any other rom that runs from the sdcard and run the following commands in an adb shell:

Boot
    System
    factory.zip
    @vigeh

"#"

vigeh4,

Code:
    I am at my wits end. I probably have a weird Froyo on my SDcard. I messed up the boot directory on the NC and I just want my NC back. Overclocking was fun until I blew the /boot directory. Doh!

I downloaded the boot.img and extracted to my sdcard that has Froyo. adb can't see that file. My computer (Ubuntu 10.04) can't see the /sdcard directory. Any pointers on how to dd the boot.img in my situation? Google is usually my friend but not today or yesterday.

Thanks much.

download the older version of nookie froyo and use that, 0.5.9 has problems with the sdcard mounting. Or you could use the clockworkmod sd card image that is posted in this forum.