How To Fix The E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid Argument) Error

Search This thread

TechKidTarek

Nov 5, 2010
London
I personally have semi-bricked my phone (SGS) a considerable amount of times and each time i got this message E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid Argument) Error. Then i got very frustrated and found a fix. So here is how I fixed it. This might work on the Original Galaxy tab

Things you are going to need:

1. Odin (any version) maybe Heimdall haven't tested yet
2. dbdata.rfs.tar (included in post)
3. semi-bricked phone

Flash with repartition off i repeat do not flash with it on. sometimes works with repartition.also pit is not needed put file in pda in odin​

After you are finished rejoice and tell me how happy you are in the comments and how you found my thread :)

P.s if i helped don't forget to donate so i can buy pizza. and also hit the thank's button and rate this thread for me;) :)

Attachments

• dbdata.rfs.tar
    7.2 MB · Views: 58,675
Last edited:

qsec

Apr 5, 2010
OT...

Is it just me or i always thought "brick" or "bricked" was a phone beyond repair.
I hate that this word have been taken out of it context.

/qsec

ragin

Dec 17, 2007
Hubli
Anyone who wants to go back to a Stock Rom from a modded 2.2.1 Rom needs to first flash a Stock 2.1 Rom. Check my ConvergeROM thread for instructions.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Reactions: amirjco4

TechKidTarek

Nov 5, 2010
London
my eyes!... my eyes... are burning.... :eek:

a good information indeed, but man... those fonts sizes and colours are a bit overboard :p

If you remove all these offending fonts, big size and colour, your topic could draw some interest...

Do You Have To Use Capital Letters In Every First Letter Of Word?

It is pain to read..

Thanks for the constructive criticism i have changed it now just thought that bright
colours were nice sorry

xefe

Jul 16, 2007
good info, already had that problem but i solved in a more timed way, your way is faster

hansonator

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary
I had the same problem once also. I ended up flashing jpu package from samfirmware with repartition ect. I was then able to flash back to my stock firmware, jl2. Good to know there are other methods in case of another disaster.

Great thread, added to favorites.

Sent from my GT - I9000M running seeARMS' custom UGJL2 ROM using XDA Premium App.

royalgok

Dec 30, 2010
Germany
Hey man I tried this and now the phone doesn't turn on. Just sits there with a black screen. No response to 3-button combo either. Any ideas?

Meatmuppet

Mar 11, 2011
Samsung SCH-1500 (fascinate) running EB01 Froyo with SC 2.8.

When I try to flash using ODIN, it gives me:

Can't open the specified file. (Line: 1455)

it failed. How do I fix this? I really need to know, thanks

Meatmuppet

Mar 11, 2011
By the way, both SCH-1500 and the internation version have the same way of storing files, so it doesnt matter im on fascinate

TechKidTarek

Nov 5, 2010
London
Reactions: barvna

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally have semi-bricked my phone (SGS) a considerable amount of times and each time i got this message E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid Argument) Error. Then i got very frustrated and found a fix. So here is how I fixed it. This might work on the Original Galaxy tab

Things you are going to need:

1. Odin (any version) maybe Heimdall haven't tested yet
    2. dbdata.rfs.tar (included in post)
    3. semi-bricked phone

Flash with repartition off i repeat do not flash with it on. sometimes works with repartition.also pit is not needed put file in pda in odin​

After you are finished rejoice and tell me how happy you are in the comments and how you found my thread :)

P.s if i helped don't forget to donate so i can buy pizza. and also hit the thank's button and rate this thread for me;) :)
    thank you for replying! so just to clear things up, I'll flash this dbdata file as PDA (unchecked repartition) first, then proceed with flashing the Stock ROM (with PIT and PDA)? should I check CSC as well?

Here are the steps for going back to stock:

1. Download your stock firmware from http://www.samfirmware.com (Registration is necessary, but is free)
    2. Download the ''FlashProgram'' from samfirmware (Odin + PIT)
    3. Unzip firmware, so you have either 3 .tar/.md5 files or 1 .tar/.md5
    4. Unzip the ''Flashprogram''
    5. Open the Odin.exe
    6. In odin, select the .pit with the button 'PIT'
    7. Make sure ''Repartition'' is ON!
    '

If you have only 1 .tar/.md5 file, continue with these instructions:

1. Under PDA, select the .tar/.md5 file
    2. Flash it!
    3. It will get stuck in bootloop after it's finished, don't worry!
    4. Download the attached file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=984140
    5. Select the downloaded ''DBDATA.RFS.TAR'' as a PDA in odin
    6. Make sure repartition is OFF this time!
    7. Flash....
    8. Enjoy!

If you have 3 .tar/.md5 files, continue with these instructions:

1. Under PDA, select the .tar/.md5 with PDA in the name
    2. Under PHONE, Select the .tar/.md5 with PHONE or MODEM in the name
    3. Under CSC, Select the .tar/.md5 file with CSC in the name
    4. Flash!
    5. Enjoy!

Now thank me for writing this guide... :angel:
    My Galaxy Tab P1000 gets stuck at the Samsung logo, doesn't boot into the OS, so I guess its semi-bricked. Whenever I try to reformat to factory settings I get this message: "format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10" and I get: "cant mount dbdata" whenever I try to flash the Stock ROM. Can anyone confirm if this method works on a Galaxy Tab P1000? thanks!

Yes, your error can be fixed by flashing this file as a PDA via Odin.
    my eyes!... my eyes... are burning.... :eek:

a good information indeed, but man... those fonts sizes and colours are a bit overboard :p

If you remove all these offending fonts, big size and colour, your topic could draw some interest...

Do You Have To Use Capital Letters In Every First Letter Of Word?

It is pain to read..

Thanks for the constructive criticism i have changed it now just thought that bright
    colours were nice sorry
    im just here to help but would appreciate you hitting the thanks button for me :D