C6833/c6806/c6802 4g lte & networks explained

Search This thread
Sep 20, 2013
I've already preordered my Sony Xperia ZU from atgsm.com
Although it's backordered right now and I have to wait another week for it to arrive, ( SUCKS because I even got FedEx 2 Day Shipping! ): )
I can POSITIVELY and SURELY CONFIRM that:

C6833 Works on all networks INCLUDING 4G LTE for T-Mobile as this uses BAND 4

C6806 Works on all networks INCLUDING 4G LTE for T-Mobile and AT&T

C6802 Works on all networks EXCLUDING 4G LTE

Hope this clears up any confusion. The International version of the Xperia ZU will work on all networks that have 4G LTE as well EXCEPT AT&T'S, presumably because it does not have the supported band. (I cannot confirm but am 99% sure) The North American (US) version will be slightly cheaper by $20-$50 depending where you order it from. The only true benefit of this (besides saving money of course) is the ability to connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network. Other than that, they are both the same. (EXLCUDING C6802 which does NOT support ANY 4G LTE speeds)

If you don't want to wait until after October 14 like me, go ahead and get the international version. Some websites have good deals and you might be able to get it at an equal price OR cheaper compared to the C6806 if you look wisely and do your research.

Personally, the international version is the way to go if you aren't on AT&T's network because if you ever go somewhere outside of the US, you can still use prepaid phone plans or such and access the internet. For such an amazing device coming with a premium price tag, I'd like to be TRULY mobile with my phone!

PLEASE stay tuned as when my Xperia ZU arrives I'll do a live video of me taking off the Anti-Shatter Film as some of you wish to do so. (Same here) I'll also post up some pictures of the cases I have and screen protectors I'll be using (SPIGEN TEMPERED GLASS COMING SEPT. 30!) and various tests (NOT the usual ones you see of benchmarks and such, but rather more interesting ones like size and everyday practical use)

If you guys have any questions just feel free to ask, we're a community here so let's see what valuable knowledge we can offer!

-Purple_Clouded

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Correct. The C6833 has octaband LTE support. The bands on the Z Ultra (C6833) are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 20. The big additions here are 2 and 4 which will open up the Z Ultra for broad use on major LTE networks in North America. AT&T have band 17, Verizon use band 13, Sprint use 25/27 and US Cellular operate on 12. Only T-Mobile have stayed ‘open’ on band 4. The other main carriers mentioned do also use bands 2 & 4, the unique bands allow them to lock down devices they sell to their own LTE networks, but 2 and 4 are open.

ewatt74

Aug 30, 2013
Correct. The C6833 has octaband LTE support. The bands on the Z Ultra (C6833) are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 20. The big additions here are 2 and 4 which will open up the Z Ultra for broad use on major LTE networks in North America. AT&T have band 17, Verizon use band 13, Sprint use 25/27 and US Cellular operate on 12. Only T-Mobile have stayed ‘open’ on band 4. The other main carriers mentioned do also use bands 2 & 4, the unique bands allow them to lock down devices they sell to their own LTE networks, but 2 and 4 are open.

So that means you could'nt use the c6833 on At&t LTE network then.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ij0rgei

Sep 20, 2013
Dallas, TX
I can confirm this to be the case. I am currently running the C6833 on ATT and an unable to get the LTE to work. I have called them and checked and they have said by not having the 700 band, that is whats keeping me from accessing their LTE network. Right now all I am getting is HSPA+ on their network and it works pretty well. It has been a PITA getting all the network settings to work all at once but I think I have it all good now, so if anyone is trying to use ATT and having problems, I might be able to help.

One question I do have is that most LTE phones that are made specifically for ATT have LTE 700mhz band 17/2100. the C6833 has the 2100 band, so my question is why cant we access the LTE network using that band since we dont have the 700mhz?

Reactions: ewatt74

ewatt74

Aug 30, 2013
I can confirm this to be the case. I am currently running the C6833 on ATT and an unable to get the LTE to work. I have called them and checked and they have said by not having the 700 band, that is whats keeping me from accessing their LTE network. Right now all I am getting is HSPA+ on their network and it works pretty well. It has been a PITA getting all the network settings to work all at once but I think I have it all good now, so if anyone is trying to use ATT and having problems, I might be able to help.

One question I do have is that most LTE phones that are made specifically for ATT have LTE 700mhz band 17/2100. the C6833 has the 2100 band, so my question is why cant we access the LTE network using that band since we dont have the 700mhz?

I have the Sony Xperia Z Ultra 6802 and I'm useing it on At&t. But I will be getting the 6806 so I can have the benifit of LTE.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

UserDemos

Oct 31, 2011
Orlando, FL

You can't use it on LTE because 2100 is Band 1. The US does not use Band 1 (2100) because Band 4 (1700+2100) uses the 2100 for its downlink, therefore it is already being occupied. Make sense? Band 1 (2100) is something one sees mostly in Europe/Asia.

AT&T uses Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700+2100), Band 5 (850), and Band 17 (700). The majority of their network currently runs on Band 17. Without Band 17, you will not be able to access their LTE network in most places (I can only think of 3-4 places where they are not using Band 17 due to spectrum constraints).

Reactions: frothe3 and Peter N

djjoonie

Apr 26, 2008
You can't use it on LTE because 2100 is Band 1. The US does not use Band 1 (2100) because Band 4 (1700+2100) uses the 2100 for its downlink, therefore it is already being occupied. Make sense? Band 1 (2100) is something one sees mostly in Europe/Asia.

AT&T uses Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700+2100), Band 5 (850), and Band 17 (700). The majority of their network currently runs on Band 17. Without Band 17, you will not be able to access their LTE network in most places (I can only think of 3-4 places where they are not using Band 17 due to spectrum constraints).

Can anyone confirm c6833 will work on tmobiles 4g lte? I am very confused now..

Sep 20, 2013
I have the same but no lte shown.plain 4g

Normally you will NOT see a LTE logo unless yo do some time of root or customization outside o the stock Sony UI and launcher that came with the phone. (I cannot confirm but so far with my recent phones, this has always been the case.) The only real possible way of proving that you're on LTE from T-Mobile is by getting an app and clocking your internet speeds.

Regardless, if you're satisfied with the speed of your data connection and the lightspeed of the Sony ZU, there's no need to bother. (Unless of course you feel conscious of shelling out the extra 50 or so dollars.)

Rest assured, my ZU C6833 will be coming in this Friday and I myself am on T-Mobile. I've heard time and time that everyone has been able to connect to their respective 4G LTE networks with ease, and combined with the speed and finesse of the phone it's a breeze to surf the web, play games, multitask etc. I hope that you're satisfied with what you have! It would be a shame if you device was faulty! (Let's hope not!)

Reactions: MR.MEMORYLANE

UserDemos

Oct 31, 2011
Orlando, FL
Can anyone confirm c6833 will work on tmobiles 4g lte? I am very confused now..

Not sure what's confusing. Learn what bands your carrier uses and compare them on the spec. sheet.

T-Mobile uses Band 2 (1900) and Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS) for HSPA+ (a.k.a. 4G) and uses Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS) for LTE (a.k.a 4G LTE).

The c6833 according to Sony supports Band 5 (850), Band 7 (900), Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS), Band 2 (1900), and Band 1 (2100) on HSPA+ and Band I (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 3 (1800), Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS), Band 5 (850), Band 7 (2600), band 8 (900), and Band 20 (800) on LTE.

Therefore, the 2 HSPA+ bands and the 1 LTE band you need for T-Mobile are on the c6833. It will also work great internationally. If you have AT&T though, you will not be able to get LTE and need the c6906 model.

djjoonie

Apr 26, 2008
Thank you for the confirmation.

Not sure what's confusing. Learn what bands your carrier uses and compare them on the spec. sheet.

T-Mobile uses Band 2 (1900) and Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS) for HSPA+ (a.k.a. 4G) and uses Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS) for LTE (a.k.a 4G LTE).

The c6833 according to Sony supports Band 5 (850), Band 7 (900), Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS), Band 2 (1900), and Band 1 (2100) on HSPA+ and Band I (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 3 (1800), Band 4 (1700+2100 or AWS), Band 5 (850), Band 7 (2600), band 8 (900), and Band 20 (800) on LTE.

Therefore, the 2 HSPA+ bands and the 1 LTE band you need for T-Mobile are on the c6833. It will also work great internationally. If you have AT&T though, you will not be able to get LTE and need the c6906 model.

cholepuree1

May 24, 2008
Just make sure the apn is set correctly. I get LTE on US T-Mobile.

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380030248966.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380030248966.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 918

cholepuree1

May 24, 2008
Here you go!

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380037065668.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380037065668.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380037076424.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380037076424.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,103

ruebenhejja

Nov 19, 2010
I have the same APN settings on my c6833. I get LTE on T-Mobile in some areas (San Diego, California) but if I go somewhere there is no LTE, I get no data. It's like the phone doesn't want to switch to HSPA+ or anything else if there is no LTE. Do I need multiple APN's or does anyone know how to fix the data being either LTE or nothing?

Edit: I changed the "Bearer" to "Unspecified" instead of "LTE" and now it gets H+ but no LTE... Weird...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've already preordered my Sony Xperia ZU from atgsm.com
    Although it's backordered right now and I have to wait another week for it to arrive, ( SUCKS because I even got FedEx 2 Day Shipping! ): )
    I can POSITIVELY and SURELY CONFIRM that:

C6833 Works on all networks INCLUDING 4G LTE for T-Mobile as this uses BAND 4

C6806 Works on all networks INCLUDING 4G LTE for T-Mobile and AT&T

C6802 Works on all networks EXCLUDING 4G LTE

Hope this clears up any confusion. The International version of the Xperia ZU will work on all networks that have 4G LTE as well EXCEPT AT&T'S, presumably because it does not have the supported band. (I cannot confirm but am 99% sure) The North American (US) version will be slightly cheaper by $20-$50 depending where you order it from. The only true benefit of this (besides saving money of course) is the ability to connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network. Other than that, they are both the same. (EXLCUDING C6802 which does NOT support ANY 4G LTE speeds)

If you don't want to wait until after October 14 like me, go ahead and get the international version. Some websites have good deals and you might be able to get it at an equal price OR cheaper compared to the C6806 if you look wisely and do your research.

Personally, the international version is the way to go if you aren't on AT&T's network because if you ever go somewhere outside of the US, you can still use prepaid phone plans or such and access the internet. For such an amazing device coming with a premium price tag, I'd like to be TRULY mobile with my phone!

PLEASE stay tuned as when my Xperia ZU arrives I'll do a live video of me taking off the Anti-Shatter Film as some of you wish to do so. (Same here) I'll also post up some pictures of the cases I have and screen protectors I'll be using (SPIGEN TEMPERED GLASS COMING SEPT. 30!) and various tests (NOT the usual ones you see of benchmarks and such, but rather more interesting ones like size and everyday practical use)

If you guys have any questions just feel free to ask, we're a community here so let's see what valuable knowledge we can offer!

-Purple_Clouded
    So if I'm on T Mobile in US, not planning to go internatonal or switch to AT&T, is there any advantage getting C6806 instead of C6833 if they're on the same price?

For LTE maybe the same, but what about some area that still havent covered by LTE.

Which one has better coverage, faster firmware update, etc, I think I saw C6806 has unlockable bootloader?

Thank you in advance.

Any that isn't branded or sold through a carrier will be able to have the boot loader unlocked. The only benefit for the C6806 would be an easier time to sell it later if you wanted since it fully supports AT&T as well.

Sent from my Xperia™ Tablet Z

I actually want to add to this and ask a question too.
    I'm on tmobile and have 4g LTE in my area. I, however, traded and got the 6802, knowing that it didn't have LTE. I figured the battery would be better and that the HSPA speeds here would be good. And lo and behold, they are. They're generally around 7-10 mbps and get the job done for streaming YouTube and Spotify, etc.

So if you do get the 6802 for tmobile, it isn't the end of the world - so long as you live in a metropolitan area that has decent HSPA speeds.

My question is: Does the battery on the 6833 drain that much more because of the LTE? Don't know if anyone would have the means of comparing, but just wondering. I'm considering buying one off of Negri, maybe in a different color and I might end up buying the 6833. Kinda waiting for the Nexus announcement before I make up my mind though lol

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk now Free

Hey, you're absolutely right! Like I said, always check and make sure you get what is RIGHT for you.

The battery life on the C6833 (T-Mobile) is actually not that bad. It can for SURE get through a day with good usage even though the LTE and NAV are on in the background 100% of the time. I have my brightness set on high as well, I usually get around 4-5 hours of screen time befor I have to plug itin and call it a day. Now I use a custom ROM (Carbon) and some custom kernels to kill some background apps and increase performance without biting too much of my batter life. But in the end, the battery of the C6833 (T-Mobile) holds up great. If you're thinking that the LTE would lessen the battery, especially if it's always trying to grab that signal when you're in an area that doesn't hold up with LTE very well, yes.. it does drain the battery more than your C6802. But ever so slightly you would feel the difference in your day to day usage.

In reality, if you're not an ultra gamer (see what I did there hehe) and is just someone who watches YouTube vids/checks email/FB/IG/TWITTER/ whatever you do, it should no doubt last you. But as I've stated before, I do run some custom kernels/ROMs so my records could be different than yours, but not that far off.

If you have the money and the guts to go buy one (Purple would be nice!!!) I suggest go ahead and get it! It's honestly an amazing phone that is very well overlooked at, easily trumping over any HTC, Motorola or LG/Nexus (Aside from the G2 of course hehe)

Let US know if you guys have any other concerns!!! Thanks ad hope this helped out!

-Purple_Clouded