DFT-Cotulla's Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
Hello, hihihi

I am Cotulla, member of DFT team, probably some of you already know me by older projects related with famous HTC HD2 (Leo).
Nowdays HTC Leo become too old :(, while hardware abilties are growing very fast nowdays
(huh, already phones with 64 bit CPUs and 4 Gb RAM? Wtf my old PC from 2008 has 4 Gb ram too)

So I decided to switch hobby phone, finally I got HTC One 64Gb (thank all contributors),
so I am with you now :highfive:

I am not sure about developement goals,
I am doing it for fun, but probably it will be something like:
1)Oldschool WM61/65 port :laugh:
2)Windows RT and/or Windows Phone 8
3)Own bootloader
Ofcourse I no idea about port quality - things like ultrapixel camera can be impossible to bring up.
But it's hobby, not attempt to do a work instead of a big company.

I am already started to work on MAGLDR for HTC One.
Then I am planning to bring UEFI up.

Will keep community in sync about development status.
Releases are going to be more often.

About different models support: there are many different HTC One revisions around, I will try to support as much as possible of them.
It seems S-OFF is mandatory requirement.

As well as I have question to One Android developers and need some kind of support:

I am going to divide the biggest "userdata" partition to grab a space for another OS.
userdata it seems is EXT4 formatted.
I don't want to modify primary GPT (at eMMC sector 0) to minimize ability to brick device.

My current idea is a hack inside Linux GPT parser to replace userdata partition bounds.
In such scheme Linux kernel must be modifed to use MAGLDR / another OS.

But I don't know how Android will like unformatted userdata partition. Anyone knows?
Or maybe someone can suggest better scheme?

Last edited by a moderator:

HD2Owner

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
very nice. looking forward to your impressive work. :highfive:

attachment.php

@ mods: reserved post for future modifications etc.

Attachments

• cotulla.jpg
    cotulla.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 34,675
Last edited:

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
All I can say is I'm proud to own same device as you do , for more info you're looking for i would suggest you to ask flar2 ( kernel dev ) , n3cortX ( also kernel dev ) or tbladen I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out with informations you seek for.

Anyway good luck with your development ! , looking forward to use it and hopefully one day load w8 as dual boot on the one !

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
That sounds good :) i trust your "Elite Recognized Developer" thing :D

Wait but, UEFI? also here on phones?

By the way HTC will hate you, they have big economic issues and from now on nobody will buy new HTCs again LoL :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jayc137 and tung91

Samuelgames

Aug 21, 2008
This is awesome, I know it's too early to ask this but do you plan to port this to the HTC MSM8960 series devices (One S, One XL, Evo 4G LTE)? Hardware wise they are almost indentical to the One

Guich

May 18, 2012
Somewhere
This is awesome, I know it's too early to ask this but do you plan to port this to the HTC MSM8960 series devices (One S, One XL, Evo 4G LTE)? Hardware wise they are almost indentical to the One

Mate, he need a device for this.
And, personally, the hardware isn't the same, the partition aren't the same so it's a bit impossible port it, above all without device...
Finally, this project require time :)

Cotulla

Sep 8, 2007
in the partition layout why not start from mmcblk0p34 to mmcblk0p37?
mmcblk0p34: 00fffe00 00000200 "recovery"
mmcblk0p35: 73fffc00 00000200 "system"
mmcblk0p36: 27fffe00 00000200 "cache"
mmcblk0p37: dc8000000 00000200 "userdata"

I am want to grab space from mmcblk0p37 partition,
put MAGLDR into
mmcblk0p33: 01000000 00000200 "boot"
and probably put Linux kernel to one of unused partitions:
mmcblk0p30: 034ffa00 00000200 "reserve_2"
mmcblk0p32: 05fffc00 00000200 "reserve_3"
mmcblk0p29: 06069e00 00000200 "reserve"

If (or when ) we get Windows Phone 8, how do we bypass the activation?
Probably by same method by before :laugh:

And, personally, the hardware isn't the same, the partition aren't the same so it's a bit impossible port it, above all without device...
Finally, this project require time
Hardware is not really same, ever newest linux kernel ports sometimes are very complicated.

Cotulla

Sep 8, 2007
I got small progress already.
Initial MAGLDR is working, initial UEFI is working,
bootarm.efi boots from USB stick with WRT installation files.
USB stick is connected via USB host.

But it halts in such state - more stuff must be done to continue with installation (like eMMC access, ACPI support and etc).

For now it's double pixeled - works as 960x540 instead of 1920x1080.

Attachments

• ONE_WRT.jpg
    ONE_WRT.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4,335
Last edited:

jotha

Retired Forum Moderator
Thread cleaned

I am cleaning this thread from all that OT junk atm.
There is no benefit for the community to know how much you look forward to this, whether you will buy a One for this or whatever you feel about this development effort.
This will be a development thread and is meant to provide information about the work cotulla does here.
So it will be best if you all stay out of it if you don't have anything to commit to that development.

Don't get me wrong, we all are amazed that Team DFT/Cotulla will work on this device. It just isn't the purpose of a development thread to voice all that non-development stuff. All the useful information would get lost among that crap.

The thread will end up in "Original Development" the moment anything flashable exists. And there the posting rules are even stricter. So let's live up to that level already now.

We will have this at close guard as it is destined to become a trollfest before even one line of code is released.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
I am using fastboot boot now for testing MAGLDR. Later MAGLDR should be flashed as boot.img and android kernel will go to another place...

OK, just some thoughts of mine:

Do you already have something running? As far as I know, the m7's hboot runs a kernel from /boot partition (boot,img). If you want to put the kernel away to a different location, maybe hboot won't like it and reboot into the bootloader screen permanently.
So it might be you have to struggle with the hboot bootloader (or even SBL) to boot up MAGLDR.
Or, you could completely replace hboot by MAGLDR.

Do you already have an idea about the whole architecture ?

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki
OK, just some thoughts of mine:

Do you already have something running? As far as I know, the m7's hboot runs a kernel from /boot partition (boot,img). If you want to put the kernel away to a different location, maybe hboot won't like it and reboot into the bootloader screen permanently.
So it might be you have to struggle with the hboot bootloader (or even SBL) to boot up MAGLDR.

He does hboot->magldr->kernel
most likely

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alvaro Recoba

Cotulla

Sep 8, 2007
Do you already have something running?[/quote[
Yes, MAGLDR and UEFI are already running from RAM. Not full functionality though.

As far as I know, the m7's hboot runs a kernel from /boot partition (boot,img). If you want to put the kernel away to a different location, maybe hboot won't like it and reboot into the bootloader screen permanently.
Well MAGLDR will be in the right boot.img format, so HBOOT will boot it like kernel.
Then MAGLDR will load Linux kernel in case of Android boot.
I think It's not good idea to touch HBOOT at all. So MAGLDR should run after it.

1)Android: HBOOT -> MAGLDR -> Linux kernel
2)Windows: HBOOT -> MAGLDR -> UEFI -> Windows kernel

During start up MAGLDR will read stroage config from eMMC and put it into ram.
So Android or UEFI will able to use it for detecting userdata partition bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, hihihi

I am Cotulla, member of DFT team, probably some of you already know me by older projects related with famous HTC HD2 (Leo).
    Nowdays HTC Leo become too old :(, while hardware abilties are growing very fast nowdays
    (huh, already phones with 64 bit CPUs and 4 Gb RAM? Wtf my old PC from 2008 has 4 Gb ram too)

So I decided to switch hobby phone, finally I got HTC One 64Gb (thank all contributors),
    so I am with you now :highfive:

I am not sure about developement goals,
    I am doing it for fun, but probably it will be something like:
    1)Oldschool WM61/65 port :laugh:
    2)Windows RT and/or Windows Phone 8
    3)Own bootloader
    Ofcourse I no idea about port quality - things like ultrapixel camera can be impossible to bring up.
    But it's hobby, not attempt to do a work instead of a big company.

I am already started to work on MAGLDR for HTC One.
    Then I am planning to bring UEFI up.

Will keep community in sync about development status.
    Releases are going to be more often.

About different models support: there are many different HTC One revisions around, I will try to support as much as possible of them.
    It seems S-OFF is mandatory requirement.

As well as I have question to One Android developers and need some kind of support:

I am going to divide the biggest "userdata" partition to grab a space for another OS.
    userdata it seems is EXT4 formatted.
    I don't want to modify primary GPT (at eMMC sector 0) to minimize ability to brick device.

My current idea is a hack inside Linux GPT parser to replace userdata partition bounds.
    In such scheme Linux kernel must be modifed to use MAGLDR / another OS.

But I don't know how Android will like unformatted userdata partition. Anyone knows?
    Or maybe someone can suggest better scheme?
    I got small progress already.
    Initial MAGLDR is working, initial UEFI is working,
    bootarm.efi boots from USB stick with WRT installation files.
    USB stick is connected via USB host.

But it halts in such state - more stuff must be done to continue with installation (like eMMC access, ACPI support and etc).

For now it's double pixeled - works as 960x540 instead of 1920x1080.
    it looks like USB MS is working now.
    Made USB RAM stick with 1.5Gb storage.
    we will see. i know that microsoft had askt HTC to make WP edtion of the one. Does WP support Multi core soc above dual core?
    Well my current target is Windows RT.

gigsaw is telling right things in the general :)

(I know he tried and probably he will try)
    "nobody knows who i am maybe you would understand"?
    How do you know what I am doing? WTF :laugh: No, u don't.

Of course the biggest part of the people define the closed-source development a pain in the a*s because it's hard or almost impossible, but it's definetly more interesting than android developping.
    Well, I can't call Android really open sourced system.
    You often just can't get enough from those open sourced kernel drivers and etc.

Actually I wanna see running Windows PE (Setup) on HTC One and I am working in that direction at the current moment.
    Do you already have something running?[/quote[
    Yes, MAGLDR and UEFI are already running from RAM. Not full functionality though.

As far as I know, the m7's hboot runs a kernel from /boot partition (boot,img). If you want to put the kernel away to a different location, maybe hboot won't like it and reboot into the bootloader screen permanently.
    Well MAGLDR will be in the right boot.img format, so HBOOT will boot it like kernel.
    Then MAGLDR will load Linux kernel in case of Android boot.
    I think It's not good idea to touch HBOOT at all. So MAGLDR should run after it.

1)Android: HBOOT -> MAGLDR -> Linux kernel
    2)Windows: HBOOT -> MAGLDR -> UEFI -> Windows kernel

During start up MAGLDR will read stroage config from eMMC and put it into ram.
    So Android or UEFI will able to use it for detecting userdata partition bounds.