Wifi Tether on Droid X now free!

Search This thread
Apr 27, 2012
The FCC has ruled that charging $20/month for wifi tethering was illegal and fined Verizon 1.25 million for charging us that fee. I ran Barnacle tether on my Droid X and used it as a hotspot for my Nook Color. I didn't get the Verizon $20/month screen. Sweeeet!

http://gizmodo.com/5930610/verizon-...u-to-pay-20-for-tethering-anymore?tag=verizon

Not the case today...I'm getting that very page telling me I have to pay up if I want to tether...and I'm rooted.

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Verizon probably won't release an update just to remove the inability to tether on the Droid X, I doubt they're under that much legal pressure.

You might want to try calling Verizon with the information from the FCC and see if they will add tethering to your plan, free of charge.

If they do follow through with the ruling --leave it to big red to always find a loophole -- it will probably be on upcoming devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
This is what happens when you dont research.
The tbh tether hack is obviuosly still valid, so why bother with a market app that may or may not work?
Just use the tbh hack, now that its legal verizon cant do squat. I believe you can file a complaint with the fcc if you really want. I know i would.

Google search: tbh wug
RESEARCH before dl the file there are a couple dif versions make sure its for your phone.

editfornoobs: With this hack you wont ever run into the verizon redirect page

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

syserr

Aug 16, 2012
Idaho
621-rooted Tether options

I acquired a DroidX already OTA to 621. I got it rooted etc and have been running SteelDroid and 621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip.

SteelDroid allows me to use Wifi Tether fine, but USB Tether does not work.

kY-Mod does not have USB Tether (from Settings/Networks) but it has "3G Wifi Hotspot" built in. This redirects me to some VZ DUN crap page. But if I run Wifi Tether (aka Barnacle aka Wireless Tether) the 3G Wifi Hotspot fires off in the background. No wireless tethering working, plus it breaks my PagePlus programming until I reboot.

I'm wondering if anyone is satisified with USB or Wireless tethering on 621 rooted... ? I'm guessing that THB Hack still works even on 621 and that is the only way?

(consequently, I've been trying to remove "3G Wifi Hotspot" but it seems embedded in Settings.apk.)

Thanks!

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Theres no reason the tbh hack shouldnt work. Just do some research and find the appropriate version.
Its been a couple years for me since I installed it but have used it on : d2,d2g,dx,dx2.

IF you are getting the V.zon redirect page its pretty obvious this hack is still the way to go.... why pay for an app from playstore?
If you are running a custom rom PLEASE research these things before you go and install something like this.
this will require bootstrap or cwm to install, or rom manager.
GL !!

blackdragonx1186

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry to bump an old thread. I work for vzw. Just an FYI, if you call asking for us to add it for free, we can't. There's no way to do so. If we add the mhs feature, there's a charge, and no way around.

Äptiva

Jan 24, 2012
Louisville, KY
The thing is, that fine was imposed on Verizon by the FCC for charging certain 4G LTE customers for tethering. They bought a certain frequency spectrum and the FCC added it into the contract that they couldn't charge for certain things like tethering. I believe it's only in a few markets and doesn't have any effect on 3G (like our beloved Droid X)

I looked into the case to see if somehow I could use it against Cricket a few months back, but after reading how the contract was worded, the actual viability of me starting an uprising with Cricket customers became nil. Verizon still has the full right to charge for tethering so long as your phone doesn't run on this frequency spectrum. Sorry guys :)

Turns out this isn't just asinine, it violates an FCC regulation. You see, Verizon owns a special segment of spectrum at 700 MHz. The purchase came with a rule: Verizon had "to allow customers to freely use the devices and applications of their choosing." But Verizon turned around and broke the rule anyway. To help set things right, Verizon also accepted a $1.25 million fine.

That's the 4G spectrum they bought.

Last edited: