[KERNEL][2.6.27]Midnight's kernel and Midnight's Bundle

Search This thread

helicopter88

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 28, 2009
Hi all!
After being for a long time a neopeek.com thread only,i've choosen to post the kernel here too..

Please note that i'm using codesourcery's toolchain 9-2010
If the kernel fails at booting
Please check this startup and this haret
Please change
Code:
set INITRD_OFFSET 0xSOMETHING
to
Code:
set INITRD_OFFSET 0xA00000
in startup.txt
If you don't have the line in startup,add it,it must be anywhere before "boot"

DOWNLOADS

CREDITS
Alex[sp3dev] for the gpu overclock,for the charger and for many X1 fixes..
Blackra1n for help with the overclocking part
Xdandroid team for the kernel source
Caliban2 for testing everything I uploaded
Everyone who has helped me improving this kernel with reviews and tips
Everyone who has bundled this kernel in the builds

SOURCES

CHANGELOG

• V12
    • 642200 MHz now runs with 200 Mhz AXI and AHB clocks
    • Fixed a small issue with AXI and AHB clocks,them weren't set properly
    • PLL clock is now mantained after panel blank-unblank
  • V11
    • Added some scaling steps,642200 MHz and 100800 MHz
    • Last frequence(642200) runs off PLL3,making a small speed bost
    • AXI and AHB are clocked at 160 MHz for PLL3,when making it higher the phone became unresponsive and slow
    • Default governor is On demand if you don't use my new rootfs
    • Kernel uses now 642200 as default max frequency
    • CIFS is back
    • V(R) is now default I/O scheduler,however you can always go back to No-op
    • Worked a bit on Kovksy battery meter,should be a bit more responsive now
  • V10
    • EXPERIMENTAL,Topaz should boot now
    • Kovsky battery fix,now is being more precise
    • Reverted to the old way to handle clock,doesn't bring more performance,could make the battery last a bit more
  • V9
    • EXPERIMENTAL,EXT4 support
    • Kovsky battery fix,now is being read properly
    • CIFS is being built as a module
    • No-Op I/O scheduler
    • Small but useful change in the way cpu handles clock
  • V8
    • Partially fixed kovsky battery meter
      Now battery discharges and charges,is just bad calibrated

DISCLAIMER:

If your phone(or SD-CARD) burns,explodes,or does unexpected things when using my kernel i take no responsability.

BUG LIST
  • Camera not working on X1,that's a common issue,pheraps it's time to backport from alex's .35
  • Class 6 and above sd-cards don't work well on blackstone

Last edited:

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
Bundle

Since ext3 is bringing good results and since everyone is saying good things about it
I've decided to make it more noob friendly.

DOWNLOADS

INSTRUCTIONS:
Please read carefully README.txt
If you can't extract it,please download latest 7zip..

NOTES FOR DEVELOPERS/CHEFS:
You need to update /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script to make the build working with ext3
Change all the format and mount lines to ext3 instead of ext2.

Example
Code:
format("ext2", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2");
has to be
Code:
format("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2");

CHANGELOG:
  • V9
    • ROOTFS: Rel_path fixed
    • ROOTFS: Removed some hardcoded /sdcard/npkboot,now system can run from any folder
    • ROOTFS: Added some checks for the existance of CSV files in root of the SD-Card
    • ROOTFS: Boot will now fail if no CSV are found to avoid missing audio
    • ROOTFS: Updated Gingerbread's init.rc
    • KERNEL: New Acoustic code,improves audio in all the system,allows more tweaks to be performed by editing manually CSV files
    • KERNEL: Fixed static sound with data enabled
    • KERNEL: Brought back wlan.ko
    • KERNEL: Kexec working
    • BUILD : New GBX0B build included
    • BUILD : This build contains the new acoustic code
    • BUILD : Completely based on latest Gingerbread release by XDANDROID team,with some small tweaks for speed and working with CWM
  • V8
    • KERNEL:642200 MHz now runs with 200 Mhz AXI and AHB clocks
    • KERNEL:Fixed a small issue with AXI and AHB clocks,them weren't set properly
    • KERNEL:pLL clock is now mantained after panel blank-unblank
    • ROOTFS:New RIL and new Lights.ko for froyo
    • ROOTFS:Updated init.rc's
  • V7
    • KERNEL:Added some scaling steps,642200 MHz and 100800 MHz
    • KERNEL:Last frequence(642200) runs off PLL3,making a small speed bost
    • KERNEL:AXI and AHB are clocked at 160 MHz for PLL3,when making it higher the phone became unresponsive and slow
    • KERNEL:Kernel uses now 642200 as default max frequency
    • KERNEL:CIFS is back
    • KERNEL:V(R) is now default I/O scheduler,however you can always go back to No-op
    • KERNEL:Worked a bit on Kovsky battery meter,should be a bit more responsive now
    • ROOTFS:"Performance" is now the default governor
    • ROOTFS:Fixed init.d support
  • V6
    • KERNEL:Reverted the screen on/off frequencies
    • KERNEL:Kovsky battery should be more precise
    • ROOTFS:init.d support
  • V5
    • KERNEL:Kovsky battery working
    • KERNEL:EXT4 is back
    • KERNEL:No-Op is the I/O scheduler now
    • ROOTFS:XDANDROID partition layout can be used now
      Read readme please
  • V4
    • KERNEL:Some small clocks changes
    • ROOTFS:Things that needs an explanation,please read readme
  • V3
    • KERNEL:Reverted some changes to Epson panel (Kovsky,Blackstone and RAPH800)
    • KERNEL:Added JB's audio stuttering fix/hack for Diamond and Blackstone
  • V2
    • KERNEL:Reverted turbo to 960 MHz
    • ROOTFS:Enabled fail,this is going to stop boot process when no partitions are made.
    • ROOTFS:Readahead back to 1024
  • V1
    • Initial Release
Sources:

CREDITS TO:
  • Neopeek for Neofroyo and CWM
  • Xdandroid team for the kernel,rootfs source and inird
  • Turbolapin/lapin for the inird repacking trick,really really thank you!

Last edited:

izzyk

Oct 26, 2011
Cairo
well, I've tested your V10 Rom with an EXT2 rom which is SenseDroid V9 and it's amazing :)

but two issues:

1. Wifi doesn't seem to work for some reason even when turned on in winmo :(
2. There is this weird sound that comes from the speaker every few seconds

Other than that ... The kernel is great and fast and I love it :D ...

I hope I have helped and I'm sorry I'm new to all of this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can ... I hope I don't bother you with my questions and reports

frybend

Aug 6, 2009
Hello Midnight,
nice to see this kind of topic here, I think many X1 users didn't find it at neopeek's site in Blackstone, Topaz (etc) section. Hope you will get better X1 feedback here.

I've tested V9 and V10 kernels on Jerrytan's Honeydroid with EXT3. I think both have slightly higher battery consumption than old Ygge's Turbo kernel.
Battery reading is still in both kernels literally "jumping" around the right value and it is changing several times per minute. But in V10 it seems a little bit better.
And as it was already said there is a strange sound comming from phone speaker in V10, when phone network is used, like when you put phone near some speaker.
I didn't tested wifi.

Thanks for your work and good luck in further development.

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
Hello Midnight,
nice to see this kind of topic here, I think many X1 users didn't find it at neopeek's site in Blackstone, Topaz (etc) section. Hope you will get better X1 feedback here.

I've tested V9 and V10 kernels on Jerrytan's Honeydroid with EXT3. I think both have slightly higher battery consumption than old Ygge's Turbo kernel.
Battery reading is still in both kernels literally "jumping" around the right value and it is changing several times per minute. But in V10 it seems a little bit better.
And as it was already said there is a strange sound comming from phone speaker in V10, when phone network is used, like when you put phone near some speaker.
I didn't tested wifi.

Thanks for your work and good luck in further development.

well, I've tested your V10 Rom with an EXT2 rom which is SenseDroid V9 and it's amazing :)

but two issues:

1. Wifi doesn't seem to work for some reason even when turned on in winmo :(
2. There is this weird sound that comes from the speaker every few seconds

Other than that ... The kernel is great and fast and I love it :D ...

I hope I have helped and I'm sorry I'm new to all of this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can ... I hope I don't bother you with my questions and reports
Is the speaker bug present with xdandroid kernels?
Wi-fi worked with V9,so something is wrong build side..

izzyk

Oct 26, 2011
Cairo
I dunno about the Xdandroid kernel as I have never used it ... I just downloaded the files and over wrote them on a Turbo kernel and changed the start-up file to yours ...

The speaker just does a sound close to the one when u put ur phone next to the speakers like it was said ... but it's coming from the speaker of the phone itself ...

Well, I'm gonna wait for Jerrytan's new EXT3 Rom ... hopefully this week and I'll further test your kernel and give u more feedback :) ... thanks for your efforts :)

frybend

Aug 6, 2009
I've never used xdandroid kernels too. But the speaker sound is messy only in V10, in my case V9 was fine in this matter.

And I forgot to mention that the phone speaker is always on...

Last edited:
Reactions: izzyk

reza3310

Aug 17, 2010
WOW!!!Tnx dear Midnight for this awesome release.........
I'll replace it with V9 ASAP:)
and one question.....randomly,when I press my X1's power button to check the clock or sth,My device screen get back and it dies,I forced to reset my device by pressing the reset key to make this issue solved..........
Is it solved in this Kernel??

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
WOW!!!Tnx dear Midnight for this awesome release.........
I'll replace it with V9 ASAP:)
and one question.....randomly,when I press my X1's power button to check the clock or sth,My device screen get back and it dies,I forced to reset my device by pressing the reset key to make this issue solved..........
Is it solved in this Kernel??
I've not seen any SODs recently..

Reactions: izzyk and reza3310

frybend

Aug 6, 2009
I don't know if this helps, but:

The sound is active when data connection (EDGE/GPRS) is used. It stops right after a phone call and the speaker is off for a while. But it starts again after a while, maybe 2-3 minutes and the speaker is on again.

I don't know if this is kernel related, but i can't recieve mms messages. The truth is, that I didn't test this with other kernels cause I don't usually use MMS.

Reactions: izzyk

izzyk

Oct 26, 2011
Cairo
I've also tried V9 ... the hizzing sound is less frequent but it's always on when I'm using internet mobile as mentioned before ... V9 is very fast and stable. with an EXT3 rom it was working amazing ... I think it uses a bit more battery than the Turbo kernel but with the option to charge from Android itself ... I don't mind that as I mostly carry a charger around if I'm going out for long ...

also, there's a second of black screen after you press the power button ... the hizzing sounds stops once the screen is off ...

The other only problem I see so far the battery meter but u are already working on that in V10 ... Thanks so much for the great efforts :)

Last edited:

reza3310

Aug 17, 2010
I've also tried V9 ... the hizzing sound is less frequent but it's always on when I'm using internet mobile as mentioned before ... V9 is very fast and stable. with an EXT3 rom it was working amazing ... I think it uses a bit more battery than the Turbo kernel but with the option to charge from Android itself ... I don't mind that as I mostly carry a charger around if I'm going out for long ...

also, there's a second of black screen after you press the power button ... the hizzing sounds stops once the screen is off ...

The other only problem I see so far the battery meter but u are already working on that in V10 ... Thanks so much for the great efforts :)

Hey dear friend,tnx for ur reports....
But I hear hizzing when I'm not using internet too!! :confused:
I have pressed the power button several time to sleep and wake up my device to check the hizzing....no changes!
I say tnx dear Midnight again:)
super fast and stable.....But the battery drains so fast for me,maybe 5 6 hours(in less uses than normal use)
speaker hizzing,and still I have to turn speaker on for incoming call to hear my friend voice[I don't know how this issue is solved for somebodies]

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009

The sound is active when data connection (EDGE/GPRS) is used. It stops right after a phone call and the speaker is off for a while. But it starts again after a while, maybe 2-3 minutes and the speaker is on again.

I don't know if this is kernel related, but i can't recieve mms messages. The truth is, that I didn't test this with other kernels cause I don't usually use MMS.

I have pressed the power button several time to sleep and wake up my device to check the hizzing....no changes!
super fast and stable.....But the battery drains so fast for me,maybe 5 6 hours(in less uses than normal use)
speaker hizzing,and still I have to turn speaker on for incoming call to hear my friend voice[I don't know how this issue is solved for somebodies]
I don't have data connection,so i can't test this..
I can't see why this bug is present..
about battery drain,uhm..,trying to fix it..

Reactions: izzyk and reza3310

reza3310

Aug 17, 2010
I get an incoming call....that was OK....strange..
seems that it sometime happens.....
tnx Mr boss:)

izzyk

Oct 26, 2011
Cairo
Thanks so much for replying ... I hope all these issues I report don't bother you ... I'm just trying to help improve this kernel :)

another issue I realized is that sometimes when the screen sleep for about an hour, it doesn't seem to wake up and when I slide the keyboard I see the lights when means it's working but the screen never wakes up ... is there a way to solve this? this testing with an EXT3 rom and V9 of your kernel

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
Thanks so much for replying ... I hope all these issues I report don't bother you ... I'm just trying to help improve this kernel :)

another issue I realized is that sometimes when the screen sleep for about an hour, it doesn't seem to wake up and when I slide the keyboard I see the lights when means it's working but the screen never wakes up ... is there a way to solve this? this testing with an EXT3 rom and V9 of your kernel

Panel collapse doesn't work as it should,and i guess that the CPU throttling isn't working well either
Can anyone tell me if this battery life is nice?
15 seconds of Wi-Fi,1 hour of games,3 or 4 10 minutes calls,30 texts made the battery go from more or less 80(Can't remember the exact value from wm) to 50 in android in 4 hours?
EDIT:Can anyone with the speaker bug provide me dmesg and logcat when you hear that sound?

Last edited:
Reactions: reza3310

reza3310

Aug 17, 2010
I recharge my phone after about 7 hours[78% to 20% and then It got off]
that was not bad for an android ROM for me,But u lost just 30% for 4 hours of hard working :-o ......I mean gaming and voice calling and texting....But my phone was just in standby and I seldom used it.......maybe about 30Mins

izzyk

Oct 26, 2011
Cairo
well, this battery usage sounds good :) ... 4 hours with using the phone and 30% only sounds good :) ... this means the phone can last for about 12 hours when fully charged ... but could u please test it with more wifi usage as this will test the battery more as u know how android likes to be connected to the internet all the time whether wifi or 3G ... but 1 hour of games should also test the battery ... so, I guess that sounds good :) ... great job man :D

about the dmesg and logcat ... I hope someone with experience can help with that ... perhaps we will get more feedback when Jerrytan tests it or makes his SenseDroid an EXT3 Rom, cuz many people use that Rom which will provide more testing for the kernel ... I probably can't help cuz I don't even know what these mean, let alone get them :( I'm sorry ... also, I'm gonna be using winmo more for the time being with an old EXT2 Rom sometimes as I have too much studying to do ... so, I wish I can help, I'm sorry :( ...

but in 3 weeks time, I'll be done and hopefully do my best to help with everything ... Thanks so much for the great efforts :)

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
well, this battery usage sounds good :) ... 4 hours with using the phone and 30% only sounds good :) ... this means the phone can last for about 12 hours when fully charged ... but could u please test it with more wifi usage as this will test the battery more as u know how android likes to be connected to the internet all the time whether wifi or 3G ... but 1 hour of games should also test the battery ... so, I guess that sounds good :) ... great job man :D

about the dmesg and logcat ... I hope someone with experience can help with that ... perhaps we will get more feedback when Jerrytan tests it or makes his SenseDroid an EXT3 Rom, cuz many people use that Rom which will provide more testing for the kernel ... I probably can't help cuz I don't even know what these mean, let alone get them :( I'm sorry ... also, I'm gonna be using winmo more for the time being with an old EXT2 Rom sometimes as I have too much studying to do ... so, I wish I can help, I'm sorry :( ...

but in 3 weeks time, I'll be done and hopefully do my best to help with everything ... Thanks so much for the great efforts :)

I don't have 3G,wifi still uses a lot of battery,I don't think it will last more than 2h with wifi on..
I'm going to upload the kernel..

reza3310

Aug 17, 2010
my wifi was off today,except that for 10 mins that I would check something on internet........
BTW,If my wifi be turn on and I don't use it[just it be connected to my modem]it will drain my battery so fast??
u meant a new kernel,ha? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!
    After being for a long time a neopeek.com thread only,i've choosen to post the kernel here too..

Please note that i'm using codesourcery's toolchain 9-2010
    If the kernel fails at booting
    Please check this startup and this haret
    Please change
    Code:
    set INITRD_OFFSET 0xSOMETHING
    to
    Code:
    set INITRD_OFFSET 0xA00000
    in startup.txt
    If you don't have the line in startup,add it,it must be anywhere before "boot"

DOWNLOADS

CREDITS
    Alex[sp3dev] for the gpu overclock,for the charger and for many X1 fixes..
    Blackra1n for help with the overclocking part
    Xdandroid team for the kernel source
    Caliban2 for testing everything I uploaded
    Everyone who has helped me improving this kernel with reviews and tips
    Everyone who has bundled this kernel in the builds

SOURCES

CHANGELOG

• V12
      • 642200 MHz now runs with 200 Mhz AXI and AHB clocks
      • Fixed a small issue with AXI and AHB clocks,them weren't set properly
      • PLL clock is now mantained after panel blank-unblank
    • V11
      • Added some scaling steps,642200 MHz and 100800 MHz
      • Last frequence(642200) runs off PLL3,making a small speed bost
      • AXI and AHB are clocked at 160 MHz for PLL3,when making it higher the phone became unresponsive and slow
      • Default governor is On demand if you don't use my new rootfs
      • Kernel uses now 642200 as default max frequency
      • CIFS is back
      • V(R) is now default I/O scheduler,however you can always go back to No-op
      • Worked a bit on Kovksy battery meter,should be a bit more responsive now
    • V10
      • EXPERIMENTAL,Topaz should boot now
      • Kovsky battery fix,now is being more precise
      • Reverted to the old way to handle clock,doesn't bring more performance,could make the battery last a bit more
    • V9
      • EXPERIMENTAL,EXT4 support
      • Kovsky battery fix,now is being read properly
      • CIFS is being built as a module
      • No-Op I/O scheduler
      • Small but useful change in the way cpu handles clock
    • V8
      • Partially fixed kovsky battery meter
        Now battery discharges and charges,is just bad calibrated

DISCLAIMER:

If your phone(or SD-CARD) burns,explodes,or does unexpected things when using my kernel i take no responsability.

BUG LIST
    • Camera not working on X1,that's a common issue,pheraps it's time to backport from alex's .35
    • Class 6 and above sd-cards don't work well on blackstone
    Little delay,sorry
    Here's a newer kernel
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27345952/2.6.27/2.6.27.46_EXT3-01372-g9845cd6.7z
    Changelog:
    V(R) I/O scheduler,performance may vary,but often goes smooth,if you don't like it,you can always switch to No-Op
    Governor is Performance now.
    Worked on the battery code.
    Small changes here and there
    A new kernel will come tomorrow,changed I/O scheduler to V(R),don't ask me where I've found it,but it does a good job..
    Bundle

Since ext3 is bringing good results and since everyone is saying good things about it
    I've decided to make it more noob friendly.

DOWNLOADS

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Please read carefully README.txt
    If you can't extract it,please download latest 7zip..

NOTES FOR DEVELOPERS/CHEFS:
    You need to update /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script to make the build working with ext3
    Change all the format and mount lines to ext3 instead of ext2.

Example
    Code:
    format("ext2", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2");
    has to be
    Code:
    format("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2");

CHANGELOG:
    • V9
      • ROOTFS: Rel_path fixed
      • ROOTFS: Removed some hardcoded /sdcard/npkboot,now system can run from any folder
      • ROOTFS: Added some checks for the existance of CSV files in root of the SD-Card
      • ROOTFS: Boot will now fail if no CSV are found to avoid missing audio
      • ROOTFS: Updated Gingerbread's init.rc
      • KERNEL: New Acoustic code,improves audio in all the system,allows more tweaks to be performed by editing manually CSV files
      • KERNEL: Fixed static sound with data enabled
      • KERNEL: Brought back wlan.ko
      • KERNEL: Kexec working
      • BUILD : New GBX0B build included
      • BUILD : This build contains the new acoustic code
      • BUILD : Completely based on latest Gingerbread release by XDANDROID team,with some small tweaks for speed and working with CWM
    • V8
      • KERNEL:642200 MHz now runs with 200 Mhz AXI and AHB clocks
      • KERNEL:Fixed a small issue with AXI and AHB clocks,them weren't set properly
      • KERNEL:pLL clock is now mantained after panel blank-unblank
      • ROOTFS:New RIL and new Lights.ko for froyo
      • ROOTFS:Updated init.rc's
    • V7
      • KERNEL:Added some scaling steps,642200 MHz and 100800 MHz
      • KERNEL:Last frequence(642200) runs off PLL3,making a small speed bost
      • KERNEL:AXI and AHB are clocked at 160 MHz for PLL3,when making it higher the phone became unresponsive and slow
      • KERNEL:Kernel uses now 642200 as default max frequency
      • KERNEL:CIFS is back
      • KERNEL:V(R) is now default I/O scheduler,however you can always go back to No-op
      • KERNEL:Worked a bit on Kovsky battery meter,should be a bit more responsive now
      • ROOTFS:"Performance" is now the default governor
      • ROOTFS:Fixed init.d support
    • V6
      • KERNEL:Reverted the screen on/off frequencies
      • KERNEL:Kovsky battery should be more precise
      • ROOTFS:init.d support
    • V5
      • KERNEL:Kovsky battery working
      • KERNEL:EXT4 is back
      • KERNEL:No-Op is the I/O scheduler now
      • ROOTFS:XDANDROID partition layout can be used now
        Read readme please
    • V4
      • KERNEL:Some small clocks changes
      • ROOTFS:Things that needs an explanation,please read readme
    • V3
      • KERNEL:Reverted some changes to Epson panel (Kovsky,Blackstone and RAPH800)
      • KERNEL:Added JB's audio stuttering fix/hack for Diamond and Blackstone
    • V2
      • KERNEL:Reverted turbo to 960 MHz
      • ROOTFS:Enabled fail,this is going to stop boot process when no partitions are made.
      • ROOTFS:Readahead back to 1024
    • V1
      • Initial Release
    Sources:

CREDITS TO:
    • Neopeek for Neofroyo and CWM
    • Xdandroid team for the kernel,rootfs source and inird
    • Turbolapin/lapin for the inird repacking trick,really really thank you!

I don't have data connection,so i can't test this..
    I can't see why this bug is present..
    about battery drain,uhm..,trying to fix it..