[CONCEPT] Nexus Q: Q-Dash - Completed

Search This thread

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
qdash-head.jpg

This is something I had an idea about as soon as I saw the Nexus Q. I saw the potential this device has, however the current setup is just lacking. Good thing is hackable and runs Android though.

I am not a developer, I just come up with concepts in the hope that either Google or a developer will like the idea and begin to implement it.

What is it?

The Q-Dash is a customisable dashboard powered by the Nexus Q. Every morning, we wake up and check our phones for the latest news, weather, Facebook updates etc. If you can get it on your phone, its likely that we will check it.

However, you have a Nexus Q, why not put all that information onto one screen.
When your alarm goes off, your Android Device sends a command to the Nexus Q to power up the Q-Dash.

Q-Dash is your daily dashboard of all the information you check in the morning and its fully customisable. It can give you any Google Now Card, the latest breaking news stories, RSS feeds, Facebook/Twitter information, Live TV or Audio Streams. Q-Dash also shows you notifications you might have missed during the night.

How does it work?

Q-Dash is a completely 'hands free' experience from the moment your alarm goes off. When the alarm is activated, your Android device automatically listens for your voice, enabling you to snooze or dismiss your alarm without getting out of bed. Once it receives the dismiss command, your Android Device powers the Nexus Q on in Q-Dash mode.

From then on, your Android Device listens out for a hotword. When it hears this hotword, it activates the speech recognition so you can control Q-Dash.

Ask it to show you your RSS feeds from the Google Blog, and thats what it will do. Ask it to read you an article from a RSS feed - it'll do that as well.

Change the Livestream, post a Facebook/Twitter update, see the weather forecast, check your daily agenda or go to your favourite website - Q-Dash can do all this an more. It also has the compatibility to launch Q-Dash optimised applications from your device, right onto the Q-Dash. So if you want to see your favourite news application on Q-Dash, just ask it to launch. If the app is Q-Dash optimised, it'll launch for you.

If you have multiple Nexus Q's in your house, you can take Q-Dash with you. Simply tap your phone on any Q-Dash to bring it up. Q-Dash also knows when you have left your house, so can power down the Nexus Q automatically.

If you like this concept, don't forget to click Newsworthy in the top right and share this around the web!

Last edited:

slevin50

Jun 30, 2012
[CONCEPT] Nexus Q: Q-Dash

I legitimately had to register to give you props on your idea. That is an amazing concept. I'm not sure how much voice sounds and my video editing is none existent, but to support your idea I would be up for chatting on skype or the something else to see if you could use me.

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
I legitimately had to register to give you props on your idea. That is an amazing concept. I'm not sure how much voice sounds and my video editing is none existent, but to support your idea I would be up for chatting on skype or the something else to see if you could use me.

Video editing isn't needed. Just record yourself saying a few sentences from above and send it :)

Mortalys77

Nov 25, 2010
This is an absolutely amazing idea. I don't really have much to add, just wanted to say good work and I'm looking forward to seeing someone do this.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Dude, all I have to say is the concept sounds pretty awesome. However, and this isn't the fault of Q-Dash at all...unless if the Q gets a lot more functionality, and quickly, I doubt too many people are going to be paying $300 for a gimped device. I mean, it's a networked media consumption device, but it can't even do local streaming of audio or video (at least not natively, and I haven't seen anything 3rd party that can do it either).

branshaw09

Nov 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
This is an amazing concept for the Q! I can't wait to see where this goes! This is the future!! I just picked my Q up on ebay today. For those of you interested but not wanting to pay 300+ tax check out ebay. I got mine for 195 and saw them come and go for 170-210 from the Google I/O folks. Following this thread and can't wait to see where this goes! This just made me 1000 times more excited about picking up the Q.

Reactions: Evostance

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
This is an amazing concept for the Q! I can't wait to see where this goes! This is the future!! I just picked my Q up on ebay today. For those of you interested but not wanting to pay 300+ tax check out ebay. I got mine for 195 and saw them come and go for 170-210 from the Google I/O folks. Following this thread and can't wait to see where this goes! This just made me 1000 times more excited about picking up the Q.

It doesn't seem to be gauging much interest like my notification concept.
Feel free to share it round, submit it as a news tip to sites etc

branshaw09

Nov 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
It doesn't seem to be gauging much interest like my notification concept.
Feel free to share it round, submit it as a news tip to sites etc

What are you looking for from the community? Backers? Interest? Do you have plans to launch? What do you need to launch or begin development?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'd really like to know where your vision is for this new concept, as this is something that has really got my interest.

Thanks

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
What are you looking for from the community? Backers? Interest? Do you have plans to launch? What do you need to launch or begin development?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'd really like to know where your vision is for this new concept, as this is something that has really got my interest.

Thanks

My vision would be for either a developer or Google to jump on board and develop it as its only a concept. If I had the time in my life, I'd sit down and attempt to learn Java and see what I could do myself, however I have pretty much no free time at the moment :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    qdash-head.jpg

This is something I had an idea about as soon as I saw the Nexus Q. I saw the potential this device has, however the current setup is just lacking. Good thing is hackable and runs Android though.

I am not a developer, I just come up with concepts in the hope that either Google or a developer will like the idea and begin to implement it.

What is it?

The Q-Dash is a customisable dashboard powered by the Nexus Q. Every morning, we wake up and check our phones for the latest news, weather, Facebook updates etc. If you can get it on your phone, its likely that we will check it.

However, you have a Nexus Q, why not put all that information onto one screen.
    When your alarm goes off, your Android Device sends a command to the Nexus Q to power up the Q-Dash.

Q-Dash is your daily dashboard of all the information you check in the morning and its fully customisable. It can give you any Google Now Card, the latest breaking news stories, RSS feeds, Facebook/Twitter information, Live TV or Audio Streams. Q-Dash also shows you notifications you might have missed during the night.

How does it work?

Q-Dash is a completely 'hands free' experience from the moment your alarm goes off. When the alarm is activated, your Android device automatically listens for your voice, enabling you to snooze or dismiss your alarm without getting out of bed. Once it receives the dismiss command, your Android Device powers the Nexus Q on in Q-Dash mode.

From then on, your Android Device listens out for a hotword. When it hears this hotword, it activates the speech recognition so you can control Q-Dash.

Ask it to show you your RSS feeds from the Google Blog, and thats what it will do. Ask it to read you an article from a RSS feed - it'll do that as well.

Change the Livestream, post a Facebook/Twitter update, see the weather forecast, check your daily agenda or go to your favourite website - Q-Dash can do all this an more. It also has the compatibility to launch Q-Dash optimised applications from your device, right onto the Q-Dash. So if you want to see your favourite news application on Q-Dash, just ask it to launch. If the app is Q-Dash optimised, it'll launch for you.

If you have multiple Nexus Q's in your house, you can take Q-Dash with you. Simply tap your phone on any Q-Dash to bring it up. Q-Dash also knows when you have left your house, so can power down the Nexus Q automatically.

If you like this concept, don't forget to click Newsworthy in the top right and share this around the web!