For tabs with battery drainage problem... or how to calibrate

Search This thread

regulator21

Jan 24, 2013
OS Error

My Samsung tab 2 7.0 brought up an "error with the OS" message after accidentally did a soft shut down. Now the battery is just draining very fast. I had first thought it was because of the new case I got that has magnets in it, but ive learned that the affect is negligable. Will a calibration take care of this issue with draining? any help is appreciated.

Lance

Toldo

Just for information, calibration didn't work for me so I decided to go hard and open up the housing. It is quite easy, when you have some old plastic credit card (start from the shorter side and continue towards the bottom side with the socket). Disconnected the batter for like 5 minutes and it seems to be working now correctly. For the scarred ones - there is no warranty seal so you won't void it.

rupene

Feb 9, 2013
awesome

I've got this problem with my tab (quick battery drainage). Symptoms would be your 100% charged tab would go down to 0% in unusual shorter time ( like 2-4 hours). You put it on charger and tab would be charged back to 100% again in substantial short time like 2-3 hours instead of 6-7 hours.

Well, after looking at this issue I think I have come up with solution.
At least, my tab looks like it's back on track... though, to say for sure I would need another couple days of testing.

The problem is not runaway wild application on a background but battery control circuit. This chip reports to OS much smaller battery capacity as it is for some reason. I will not go into details but here is what you need to try:

Flash stock kernel (may be custom kernel is not the reason for bad chip calibration and I'm 90% positive but just to be on safe side). You don't need to do factory wipe in OEM recovery for our purpose.

You also don't need to wipe batterystats.bin or use "Battery Calibration" apps from market (which does exactly the same wipe just in more end user friendly way). This wipe serves no other purpose then refreshing your usage statistics.

You also don't need to drain your battery all way down... nice, this way you don't have to wait for too long.

Well, here we go:

charge tab somewhere in between 80 and 100%.
edit: remove charger
shutdown tab (not put in hibernate/sleep) for 1 hour.
edit: turn tab on and run it for 30-40 min. or whatever it takes to drop charge to 40-50%.
shutdown tab again for 5 hours (overnight).

turn tab again and check... you should be fine now, charge it again 100% and use as usual.

That should do correct chip calibration.

PS: the reason why this chip calibration went bad at the first still remains open.

EDIT: just want to give a shortcut for those who does not feel like reading through the thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16771651&postcount=41

Edit: here is calibration procedure which was modified down this thread ...

1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour.

3. plug it to charger and charge it for 5 hours.

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour.

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

Edit: if you physically disconnect battery (you have to disassemble tablet) and keep it for couple min. that would trigger FG chip to start with default SOC curve.

Awesome - had updated to ics and battery was draining overnight. tab now working fine. This post needs to be a sticky.

nexus_g

Sep 7, 2012
Hi guys,
I install A1 kernel on my cm10 and got batt bug. So I flashed back the original kernel and followed the instruction on page one and get rid of the bug. My tab is back to normal again. Question still remain, if i could still use A1 kernel, will it give me the batt problem again? In other words, can we still use the kernel that give the batt problem after caliberation?

Thanks Vlad_z for his contribution on this problem.

Sent from my GT-P7300 using xda premium

Last edited:

Serpentene

Oct 28, 2011
It's a panacea effect.. Deleting the .stat file does nothing useful for battery drain.
Allow the battery to fully discharge and auto shutdown. Recharge 50%. Deplete to warning.
Fully recharge 100%. Stat file will gauge appropriately by third round recharge.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using xda app-developers app

HD-McSlacker

Oct 12, 2011
This worked for me. It actually even worked just by shutting down my tablet for an hour or so, and then charging it overnight. It went from going dead in less than an hour, to now having run for the past 24 hours on a single change. And I haven't even done the second shut down as you've recommended. Thanks!

drD16

Jan 3, 2014
my galaxy tab3

I followed all the steps, and quite idiotically my battery indicator fell from 97 to 48percent in 2mins! I have switched off the tab and chk out tomorrow.... at first I thought there is problem with battery, but thn I found tht my tab lasted for about 4hours of heavy usage with just 1percent battery signal(ofcurs that's terrible as the brightness falls to zero) hope ur tech works for me! thanks in advance

TTboy404

May 22, 2007
Louisville Ky
my goodness

I followed all the steps, and quite idiotically my battery indicator fell from 97 to 48percent in 2mins! I have switched off the tab and chk out tomorrow.... at first I thought there is problem with battery, but thn I found tht my tab lasted for about 4hours of heavy usage with just 1percent battery signal(ofcurs that's terrible as the brightness falls to zero) hope ur tech works for me! thanks in advance

Mine had become nonfunctional due to power issues like this. it got to where it run for maybe a hour or two, sometimes even less. Last week, it would run for like 20 minutes and shut off.
Last time i sent it in to samsung, 70.00 repair charge, and it did the same thing over time.
I got disgusted in July, and was going to buy a LTE ATIV Q, which never showed.
Then Note 10.1 2014 LTE in October, which has really never showed up either.

On whim, i got disgusted, and just restored back to factory. Orignial factory last week.
While upgrading via OTA, charge on battery went from like 10% to 75% after an OTA update. I had put that Team Battery bar on it, so it was obvious what just happened. Almost in front of my eyes, i was driving, and it rebooted between exits. Yes, i know i should not hack and drive...lol

That isn't battery. Thats battery meter or software or something. Physical battery, must be fine.

Restored to Stock Verizon Out of the box, Honeycomb a second time yesterday, and it ran 13 hrs on battery in standby today alone. Battery itself almost has to be fine.
I will read this thread again.

thanks!

I will update.
The official OTA updates is respnosible for the battery issue.
I restored again back to factory Honeycomb, because I have nothing on the tab.
This last time, After the first update, and one of the next OTA updates did the exact opposite as last time. My battery went to 70 to 2, then proceeded to die.
Instead of assuming I was out of charge. I turned tablet off, and let it set for an hour, no charger.
Reboot, back up to 70%
I cracked the case this time. Its easy, take care around the ear phone jack.
The battery has a simple connector right in the center, you just pop up. I let ithe tablet sit for about 20 minutes to make sure there was no residual charge in circuit

Been averaging standby for 16 or more hours. Yesterday it kinda unepectedly quit, but I had been on LTE for over 5-6 hours, tablet had been running on battery for a couple hours before.

Might look for a new ROM, if all I have to do, is crack the case, and reset the battery.

Last edited:

Doosh

Jul 9, 2010
As others have posted here - I have the problem on my Son's tab 3 - 7.0 using RocketTab distro.

I opened up the back using a guitar pick and some patience. (you run the pick along the top edge where the screen meets the side of the unit. Once the pick is in, gently pry up. It will take some patience and several passes around the entire device but after about 2-3 minutes of prying it will come loose.)

I then used the guitar pick to pry up the battery terminal and let it set unplugged for about 20-30 minutes.

Plugged it back in and so far the problem seems to have corrected itself.

duendemago

Jul 31, 2013
Mexico City
I will try that tomorrow

I have this problem: GN 10.1 2014 used to charge in the regular amounts of time described at this forums (4 to 5 hours). Even when watching Youtube or Netflix or whatever video-multimedia content, the tablet used to charge a little bit slower, but going up steady and constantly. Now, the dam thing goes down while watching multimedia (even with the lowest brightness and no apps running other than youtube), and chargers very slow while in sleeping mode.

I hope this helps me to re calibrate this thing. Does someone know how to prevent this to happen once and again? is there any real working app for doing something like this without ROOT permissions?

Thanks great community of XDA :cyclops:

duendemago

Jul 31, 2013
Mexico City
Red X after following all your steps

Ok, I tried all the steps as you described above, in your original post. Now I have an AWFUL RED X on my battery icon. So what can I do? Please help me guys!!!! :confused:

atackla

Dec 18, 2014
anyone knows if this is going to work if I interrupt the 5 hour charging process?

I'm at work atm and I drained down to 3400 and shut the thing off it'll be an hour in 30 mins so I'll start charging it up but have to leave work in two hours, is it ok to plug it out and go home? I'll put it back on in an hour or so..

cheers

Last edited:

Katrinasawyer

Sep 17, 2015
I got my daughter a samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1 she bent the unside of the charger port i got it fixed but now its taking hours to charge and before 8 got it fixed it was charging fine what can i do to fix it

thorondrol

Nov 10, 2015
It worked

I came here with little hope to fix the battery drops on my samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4 (what a long name for a tablet), and i'm very pleased to say that it did work...Before I was getting a drop from 90% or 70% to 35%-15%....now everything seems to be working fine. Thank you for the help :)

cwhiatt

May 8, 2014
Minneapolis
Will this work for Samsung Galaxy S6?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 (not the Edge) which has a battery out of sync. It is rooted and calibration has not worked.

Forgive me if this is addressed within the thread. I spot checked and didn't see it mentioned but I really would like to believe that it will work not just for the tab.

Thanks

Ionpirjan

Jan 8, 2016
Hi guy's
My tab. S is charging very slow about 10% in 3 hours. I check the charger on my phone and is OK. What can I do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got this problem with my tab (quick battery drainage). Symptoms would be your 100% charged tab would go down to 0% in unusual shorter time ( like 2-4 hours). You put it on charger and tab would be charged back to 100% again in substantial short time like 2-3 hours instead of 6-7 hours.

Well, after looking at this issue I think I have come up with solution.
    At least, my tab looks like it's back on track... though, to say for sure I would need another couple days of testing.

The problem is not runaway wild application on a background but battery control circuit. This chip reports to OS much smaller battery capacity as it is for some reason. I will not go into details but here is what you need to try:

Flash stock kernel (may be custom kernel is not the reason for bad chip calibration and I'm 90% positive but just to be on safe side). You don't need to do factory wipe in OEM recovery for our purpose.

You also don't need to wipe batterystats.bin or use "Battery Calibration" apps from market (which does exactly the same wipe just in more end user friendly way). This wipe serves no other purpose then refreshing your usage statistics.

You also don't need to drain your battery all way down... nice, this way you don't have to wait for too long.

Well, here we go:

charge tab somewhere in between 80 and 100%.
    edit: remove charger
    shutdown tab (not put in hibernate/sleep) for 1 hour.
    edit: turn tab on and run it for 30-40 min. or whatever it takes to drop charge to 40-50%.
    shutdown tab again for 5 hours (overnight).

turn tab again and check... you should be fine now, charge it again 100% and use as usual.

That should do correct chip calibration.

PS: the reason why this chip calibration went bad at the first still remains open.

EDIT: just want to give a shortcut for those who does not feel like reading through the thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16771651&postcount=41

Edit: here is calibration procedure which was modified down this thread ...

1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour.

3. plug it to charger and charge it for 5 hours.

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour.

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

Edit: if you physically disconnect battery (you have to disassemble tablet) and keep it for couple min. that would trigger FG chip to start with default SOC curve.
    I want to give you guys updates on my findings regarding fuel gauge chip Samsung is using in our tabs.

It's MAX17042. I spend lots of time looking for datasheet but cannot find it. I found some very similar chip but still not exact. It looks like this chip was specially designed for Samsung by Maxim. So any further knowledge was derived from looking at various drivers for different Samsung devices.

Ok, looks like max17042 is utilizing combination of coulomb-counter with impedance tracking algorithm. What does it practically mean?

There is "quick start"/"quick charge estimate" software function but it's not accessible without special cable or kernel software change. If someone wants to try this I can elaborate on that more.

What can we do without any special thingy?

Tab needs to be at rest (turned off) for at least an hour when its empty and then when it charged back. This will let chip to make 2 open circuit voltage measurements.

How to make sure that tab is discharged enough for calibration to take the place? If capacity is off big time then gauge may report SOC 30% but in the fact battery is in 70%, so chip will not execute calibration procedure.

The most sure way to check this is in terminal, execute this command:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now

or through adb:

adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now

your good discharged start point should be anything below 3700 (3.7V). If your tab is telling that you have 0% capacity but voltage is more then 3700 then keep rebooting tab (this will refresh counter for a moment) or just boot in CWM and let tab run/sit there for some time.

Then charge it with power adapter to 100%, you can check voltage at this point - should be around 4100, usually you should be good.

Then shutdown tab for another hour or two.

That's it. You should be good now unless you are still using certain custom kernels.

PS: I have heard cases when SOC miscalculation occurred on totally stock devices, well, I have no explanation for that, but with custom kernels which allow to charge through USB cable - there is a code path to write wrong data into remaining capacity counter stored in the fuel gauge chip.

After it happens and even when you are back on stock kernel then it will take some time for the chip to slowly correct itself or you need to force recalibration outlined above.

Btw, resent custom kernel (from pershoot) does not include charging by USB functionality. Well, there is nothing wrong with that idea. It just Samsung implementation of charging algorithm is not good if such function will be allowed.
    I agree. The problem is the devs refuse to to add a disclaimer of the issues. Im sure if some of the people in this thread knew flashing other kernels and ROMs would cause this battery damage (which it does as statistics dont lie) they wouldnt do it.

If you can do anything to help protect people from this issue it would be to state a clear disclaimer of this issue in all aftermarket kernel and ROM threads. Why is this not being done? :confused: You cant argue with the dozens of people here who have gotten this issue after they flashed ROM/ kernel.

Be aware that I know you may not value me or my tablet but I ask for you to value others as they spent their hard working money on these tablets and it hurts me to see their units become crippled like this.

exactly. you spend your money, and we make it multiply overnight. we do things the manufacturer wouldn't dream of doing (sometimes), and/or did not implement. you get to see development right before your eyes and be a part of something great in the making. for example, if i didnt value everyone's tabs, i wouldn't work so dilligently to perfect things across numerous devices. if i didn't care to make said device great (to the best of my ability), i wouldn't post anything. i like to share and have everyone reap the benefits.

you are not protecting anyone by alienating yourself, in the way that has been done, thus far. this makes your core statement/focus lose credibility by the tenfold.

here is a better way to phrase something:
    hey. im receiving xx issue. any logs or something i can get for you to try and rectify the issue?

that would help a ton of people.
    May I ask what do you mean by rest time intervals of 1 and 5 hours?

Does it mean that the calibration will only take place when the tab is off for 1 hour, then switch on and used till battery depleted by a further 40% minimum and the switch off for another 5 hour. Correct?

Also , is this 40% refer to value before or after calibration? I asked this because when I restart my tab the value changed (ex: 36% before restart to 53% after restart)

Yes that's correct.

Fuel gauge chip will take 1 measurement of open circuit voltage and internal resistance only when battery is at rest (no charge/discharge) for at least 40min. - so I say 1 hour just to be sure...

Consecutive measurements, from which gauge chip can derive capacity of the battery have to be at least 40% and 5 hours apart.

Technically speaking, that 40% difference can be in either directions. Say you have 40% as of now, leave it in rest for 1 hour, then charge it to 100% and leave it at rest for 5 hours and you will have same result.

Condition "at rest" means voltage change less then 4mV (or mkV) per sec. - I don't remember.

When tablet is in sleep some background processes may awake tablet briefly and reset the 1 hour counter - so to make it work for sure, simply do shutdown.

if you want additional reading on my findings then look here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16615800&postcount=517
    My previous posted method of calibration (what the op says) did in fact stop the battery from super draining then going back up after reboot. I can't say for sure if the battery is completely back to normal, I have nothing to compare it to but as far as I can tell I'm running normal again.

you should be looking about 10% per hour battery usage for normal browsing on wifi