[Q] Nexus 5 camera does not record video

Search This thread

shahidhussain

Jan 28, 2010
My wife has Nexus 5 (it is completely stock and unrooted with unlocked bootloader) running running Android 4.4.2. Recently, the stock camera app stopped recording videos. Tapping the record button does not do anything while camera works perfectly in photo mode. I factory reset the phone but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

lichti1901

Sep 28, 2010
Riding my Bike
My wife has Nexus 5 (it is completely stock and unrooted with unlocked bootloader) running running Android 4.4.2. Recently, the stock camera app stopped recording videos. Tapping the record button does not do anything while camera works perfectly in photo mode. I factory reset the phone but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Try to clear data and cache from camera in settings.
If that doesnt work either and you really have done the factory reset, you have to send it to repair bc of an hardware deffect. :crying:

shahidhussain

Jan 28, 2010
Try to clear data and cache from camera in settings.
If that doesnt work either and you really have done the factory reset, you have to send it to repair bc of an hardware deffect. :crying:

I will try that but I think factory resetting clears cache, anyway. The phone camera worked fine previously but now suddenly it stopped.

Thanks anyway.

ketonkss4

Jan 30, 2011
Minneapolis
I have the same problem, when I change the camera app to record nothing happens when I press the red record button. I think the problem started when I upgraded to 4.4.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lichti1901

Sep 28, 2010
Riding my Bike
I will try that but I think factory resetting clears cache, anyway. The phone camera worked fine previously but now suddenly it stopped.

Thanks anyway.

And you flashed the right one? Hammerhead-4.4.2

Like i said before, if that doesnt help, you have to send it back to get a replacement.

You need to uncompress each download before use, which creates a new directory for that exact download. That directory contains a ./flash-all.sh script, which handles the various operations, installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. Note that this operation deletes all user data by default
Make yure that data gets wiped also! Dont forget to backup your sdcard bc it gets also wiped.

Last edited:
Reactions: shahidhussain

shahidhussain

Jan 28, 2010

Like i said before, if that doesnt help, you have to send it back to get a replacement.

Make yure that data gets wiped also! Dont forget to backup your sdcard bc it gets also wiped.

Flash the whole 4.2.2 stock rom in fastboot bro, i have no issues with video recording both on Dalvik and Art runtime

Yes, I did it. Flashed the stock 4.4.2 and everything seems to work fine. However, when I tried updating using OTA after downgrading the update failed and stopped with "Error" message. After flashing 4.4.2 from scratch will hopefully allow smooth future OTA updates. Thanks everyone. :)

lichti1901

Sep 28, 2010
Riding my Bike
Yes, I did it. Flashed the stock 4.4.2 and everything seems to work fine. However, when I tried updating using OTA after downgrading the update failed and stopped with "Error" message. After flashing 4.4.2 from scratch will hopefully allow smooth future OTA updates. Thanks everyone. :)

Glad you worked it out!

Good thing is - you got a Nexus, so its easy to flash all the stuff and go back to stock/factory image/recovery/...
:highfive:

mctt

Nov 19, 2010
Cardiff
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Any update on this? I have this exact problem. No unlock, not root just pure OTA stock.

1. Video does not record. You press the red button and no timer comes up.
2. A VID_20140126_224910.mp4.tmp file is created 395.54 KB.
3. Time lapse works as do all the other camera functions.
4. The basic Google FAQ has generic instructions if an app does not work so I followed these.
5. in safe mode the camera works fine.
6. Power off and on again. The Video Camera then works fine and creates normal .mp4 files.

Things I have done that may affected the Camera in the first place;
1. Clear cache.
2. Put a .thumbnails file in DCIM to stop the gigantic .thumbnail folder being created.
3. Running nova launcher.

Unlikely these are a factor as I isolated them as an issue and rebooted but worth a mention just in case.
Camera works but have found the it subsequently stopped working again and had to repeat the Google FAQ steps to fix an app.

Last edited:

mctt

Nov 19, 2010
Cardiff
Sony Xperia 1 IV
To answer my own question I found the uninstalling Said It_1.3.37.apk fixed the problem and just to prove it reinstalling brought the problem back.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quick update. the developer emailed me back. He co firmed it does the same on his device and will send an update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks anyway.

You need to uncompress each download before use, which creates a new directory for that exact download. That directory contains a ./flash-all.sh script, which handles the various operations, installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. Note that this operation deletes all user data by default
    I downgraded Nexus 5 from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4 and now the camera is working fine. But I am afraid of updating it back to 4.4.2.

Flash the whole 4.2.2 stock rom in fastboot bro, i have no issues with video recording both on Dalvik and Art runtime