Emui 9 removes default launcher options

Do you want the option of changing custom launcher on your Huawei device?

• YESSSS!!!!

Votes: 108 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
WORKAROUND HAS BEEN FOUND
https://xdaforums.com/emui-discussi...-launchers-t4053261/post81803425#post81803425

In the 9.0.0.110 and 120 builds of Chinese variant CLT_AL00 P20 Pro emui 9 beta, as well as all emui builds, beta or not, containing the wechat fingerprint payment patch, Huawei seemed to have pulled a oppo and removed the option to change the default launcher. Would not be surprising considering they just removed the option to unlock bootloader.

*update: launching default app settings from activity launcher appear to show the launcher options again however it is still impossible to select one as default as the buttons are greyed out.

*update: further investigation shows that every chinese build of emui in the past month that include support for wechat fingerprint payment, both emui 8.2 and emui 9 and across both hauwei and honor, seem to have removed the ability to use third party launchers, the resaosn I did not see this before, as it seems, is that Huawei club has been diligent in deleting the threads up until now. It is incredibly sad for the active community of Huawei users, me included, who want a little more out of their phones, I hope this issue can be give more public attention amid coverage of the mate 20 launch so people know what they are getting into.

***UPDATE ADB UNINSTALL AND DISABLING THE HUAWEI HOME LAUNCHER NO LONGER WORKS

****UPDATE EMUI 10 BETA STILL HAS NOT ADDRESSED THE ISSUE IN CHINA ROMS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181013_104551_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20181013_104551_com.android.settings.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 3,408
  • Screenshot_20181014_151439_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20181014_151439_com.android.settings.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3,150
Last edited:
Reactions: rcfc87

sniper20

Mar 17, 2010
No problem for me. I love the stock launcher. So no difference here.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

FOXTEiN

Dec 19, 2010
I would think this is just for the beta.

If you apply as a beta tester for a new piece of software, you are at least expected to actually use it, aren't you?!!

I am in the beta program for EMUI 9, and I am definitely willing to keep using the stock software for the test period and keep reporting errors I find to Huawei. I would need them to rectify as much errors as possible during the beta so that the final release would be as stable and functional as it gets. For myself, you and everyone with a P20 Pro.

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

If you apply as a beta tester for a new piece of software, you are at least expected to actually use it, aren't you?!!

I am in the beta program for EMUI 9, and I am definitely willing to keep using the stock software for the test period and keep reporting errors I find to Huawei. I would need them to rectify as much errors as possible during the beta so that the final release would be as stable and functional as it gets. For myself, you and everyone with a P20 Pro.

This only became present in build 110, not any other beta builds, also it seems to neatly a "bug" when no other piece of software was altered, this build was only meant to add wechat fingerprint payment to China AL00 variants, don't see how that could be related.

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
No problem for me. I love the stock launcher. So no difference here.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I completely understand, but for a lot of people, me included, like to have a little bit more control over customisation that the emui launcher does not offer, my phone is also running emui chinese version so I don't get google feed when I swipe right which is a dealbreaker.

walkerx

May 22, 2009
South Yorkshire
the beta app should allow users to still use 3rd party launchers and any other app, otherwise how can they test there won't be problems, that the whole point of the beta so the customer can test it in the environment they are used to. if Huawei didn't want them to use 3rd party launchers they should state this in the T&C's of the requirements for testing.

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
the beta app should allow users to still use 3rd party launchers and any other app, otherwise how can they test there won't be problems, that the whole point of the beta so the customer can test it in the environment they are used to. if Huawei didn't want them to use 3rd party launchers they should state this in the T&C's of the requirements for testing.

Do keep in mind that this is the Chinese version of the beta distributed through hicare and Huawei club

vlad.spatariu

May 9, 2017
Hate to break it to you guys. My honor 8x had an update today to emui 8.2, with the wee chat fingerprint thing, the latest security update and added navigation gesture controls and it seems that they removed the option to change the launcher for this model as well. I've been busting my head all day over this. It's worth noting that I'm not in any beta. Seems like Huawei is shoving their launcher up our throats on their entire phone product line. :(

If any of you finds a fix to this, I'm all ears!

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Hate to break it to you guys. My honor 8x had an update today to emui 8.2, with the wee chat fingerprint thing, the latest security update and added navigation gesture controls and it seems that they removed the option to change the launcher for this model as well. I've been busting my head all day over this. It's worth noting that I'm not in any beta. Seems like Huawei is shoving their launcher up our throats on their entire phone product line. :(

The only workaround, as it seems right now, is to uninstall the Huawei home launcher, Huawei driving mode, using the adb method as well as every other launcher from your phone, this will force it to use your preferred launcher...

vlad.spatariu

May 9, 2017
Have you tried this? In case of messing things up, can you undo this? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Just uninstalled it. Had to get rid of all the launchers but the main one that I wanted. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Have you tried this? In case of messing things up, can you undo this? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Just uninstalled it. Had to get rid of all the launchers but the main one that I wanted. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Yeah it's pretty messy but it's what I am running rtn so it should work pretty well, otherwise I would not have recommended it. Would have been great if this wasn't needed in the first place but here we are now

RiTCHiE007

Jun 22, 2011
Huawei P20 Pro
OnePlus 6
But this is just in the beta! Its called a beta so that people can test out the software before release and find bugs so what use would it have when you can install a 3rd party launcher and then to not find bugs in the normal launcher.

jalk44

Mar 29, 2016
Adelaide
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
But this is just in the beta! Its called a beta so that people can test out the software before release and find bugs so what use would it have when you can install a 3rd party launcher and then to not find bugs in the normal launcher.

But it is present in all software patches of emui, beta or not, that introduces the wechat fingerprint payment for mate 10, P20, honor 8x and many others from what I found on the Huawei forums and from the guy who just commented above.

RiTCHiE007

Jun 22, 2011
Huawei P20 Pro
OnePlus 6
But it is present in all software patches of emui, beta or not, that introduces the wechat fingerprint payment for mate 10, P20, honor 8x and many others from what I found on the Huawei forums and from the guy who just commented above.

Buit the wechat payment is only for asia tho so no doubt that in the final v9 release they wont lock down the launcher.... trust me on this.

vlad.spatariu

May 9, 2017
I'm absolutely convinced that at least for their China roms, they'll lock down the launcher. As I said, I'm on production builds, no beta.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Thank God for Jalk44's suggestion otherwise I would've sold this phone in a heartbeat. It's a pretty **** move on Huawei's part. This is an intentional restriction. I know development, you can't have a usability regression like this by accident, no matter how tangled and unclean your code is and it certainly wouldn't have passed QA. We need to face it, Huawei is making some aggressive moves in order to have its software used.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only workaround, as it seems right now, is to uninstall the Huawei home launcher, Huawei driving mode, using the adb method as well as every other launcher from your phone, this will force it to use your preferred launcher...
    A deal-breaker for me. Was waiting for mate 20 pro but if this is true i Will Go back to Samsung instead

enable usb debugging
    install any 3rd party launcher
    run below command in console
    adb shell pm disable-user com.huawei.android.launcher

temporary solution
    I'd sell my phone if this is true