(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

Search This thread

moogvo

Aug 22, 2008
Excellent. I am glad that you did not end up frying the Unika.

I have tested out the Unika on a breadboard with a resistant ladder, voltage divider, and a fresh 3.3v battery. It works fine learning each function with the low 0v to 3v range. So, I will reiterate that you should not use it on a +12v system without using a voltage divider.

Yeah. Me too. I am leaning towards chopping the voltage down since I really don't want to modify the car.

I can't thank you enough for your help in my times of brain lapse. I will be off to radio shack in the morning for some resisters. :)

Sent from my IMAX sized Galaxy Note II using Scottsroms Cleanrom ACE.

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
Hi, please need your help.

Im developed app to this radio, by need know the radio id, if im generate this id, and reinstall or update the firmware this id change, but know is possible get the id divice but dont know how get this id with Eclipse.

Can you help me please?

I'm not not quite sure what you are asking for here or what you're trying to accomplish. But, have you tried this app; Device ID?

moogvo

Aug 22, 2008
I have installed the Unika successfully... Well, as successfully as it is going to get...

Initially, I programmed the buttons with the key on/engine off and after a re-boot, it worked fine. As soon as I started the car, the buttons stopped working... sort of. The volume down became volume up and scan down became volume down. I re-programmed with the engine running, since that is going to be the only time I really care of the buttons work. 3 of the 4 buttons programmed correctly. One was not seen by the Unika.

I will consider this to be a successful install at this point.

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
I have installed the Unika successfully... Well, as successfully as it is going to get...

Initially, I programmed the buttons with the key on/engine off and after a re-boot, it worked fine. As soon as I started the car, the buttons stopped working... sort of. The volume down became volume up and scan down became volume down. I re-programmed with the engine running, since that is going to be the only time I really care of the buttons work. 3 of the 4 buttons programmed correctly. One was not seen by the Unika.

I will consider this to be a successful install at this point.

Well, I'm glad you were at least partially successful. I was wondering how the Unika was going to handle the voltage difference between an idle car and one with the alternator charging the battery. I guess it doesn't compensate the recorded values with the rise of voltage like some of the other SWC adapters might.

May I ask what was the resistor rating that you used for the voltage division? Also, did you happen to get the voltage measurements for each button while the car was running? And which button wouldn't work? I'm guessing "Seek Down". Btw, was there any voltage present while none of the buttons are pressed?

K_Hismoom

Apr 7, 2008
Aachen
Hey guys, here's an improved and extended version of my volume control app.

It's functions now are:
- Swipe horizontal and/or vertical to change volume
- Touch anywhere to change volume slider
- Pinch to change volume
- Ramp up volume when unmuting
- UNIKA and HID volume up/down/mute button support

You can configure and enable or disable each and every function. Additionally you can set up a minimum distance delta for detecting a swipe gesture, a custom timeout value before closing the app, the ramp up delay and the pinch sensitivity.

I recommend wiping the app's data before installing the new version.

Many thanks to donaldta for his invaluable help in testing and improving the app.

Attachments

• ASTEROIDSmartVolumeControl.apk
    248.3 KB · Views: 170

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
Anyone got any recommendations for good software or widgets for the Asteroid Smart?

I have Tomtom, MX Player Pro, Torque, AsteroidTweaker, Urbanspoon, Google Voice Search, Google Maps, Facebook, Perapp, SOFFT and TuneIn installed.

Getting a bit bored. Wondering what other good apps I am missing out on.

Try Utter!

moogvo

Aug 22, 2008
Well, I'm glad you were at least partially successful. I was wondering how the Unika was going to handle the voltage difference between an idle car and one with the alternator charging the battery. I guess it doesn't compensate the recorded values with the rise of voltage like some of the other SWC adapters might.

May I ask what was the resistor rating that you used for the voltage division? Also, did you happen to get the voltage measurements for each button while the car was running? And which button wouldn't work? I'm guessing "Seek Down". Btw, was there any voltage present while none of the buttons are pressed?

I used 122 ohms of resistance because that would have allowed 4.96V to pass to the unika while pressing the button with the lowest resistance with the car running at 14.2V.

Actually, the button thst does not work is the seek up button. The seek down button works fine with an output voltage to the unika of .7 volts. I thought the non working button was the one with the highest resistance until I looked and found out that this wasn't the case.

I am thinking at this point that I must have a non working button. I am giving thought to swapping steering wheels for one with more buttons or creating an additional bank of buttons on the dash to extend functionality. Whatever I do, it is going to have to look factory. I HATE hack jobs.

Time to start looking for a small sub to install in the trunk to extend the lows a bit. (Although, the Smart is NOT weak in the bottom end.)

Also... my CoPilot is FAR superior to the factory nav in my wife's Prius. Bluetooth and phone functions work better and are more intuitive on the smart as well. (AND... I have a capacitive multi-touch screen... put THAT in yout 10 gallon tank and drive it for 50 miles!)

Sent from my IMAX sized Galaxy Note II using Scottsroms Cleanrom ACE.

Last edited:

mrm2083

Sep 8, 2013
Car Mode

Is there a way to enable Android's Car Mode? I want to use the iheartradio Auto App (easier to use than the regular app) but it will only work if the device is in car mode.

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
I used 122 ohms of resistance because that would have allowed 4.96V to pass to the unika while pressing the button with the lowest resistance with the car running at 14.2V.

Actually, the button thst does not work is the seek up button. The seek down button works fine with an output voltage to the unika of .7 volts. I thought the non working button was the one with the highest resistance until I looked and found out that this wasn't the case.

I am thinking at this point that I must have a non working button. I am giving thought to swapping steering wheels for one with more buttons or creating an additional bank of buttons on the dash to extend functionality. Whatever I do, it is going to have to look factory. I HATE hack jobs.

According to my calculations 122Ω between ground @ 14.2V would give the following voltages.

Volume Down: 248Ω = 4.682V
Volume Up: 294Ω = 4.164V
Seek Down: 2370Ω = 0.695V
Seek Up: 1180Ω, 1.331 = 1.331V

If you get any free time with a multimeter, can you double check it and measure the voltage when the button is pressed and the car is running? Also, try to swap programming so physical seek buttons are using volume functions and vice versa. I was troubleshooting a Sony RM-X4S wired remote with the Unika and by altering the learning sequence, I found out that the "OFF" button forces the Unika to get out of programming mode. So, in order to fully utilize all 7 functions on the Unika, if I wanted to use the "OFF" button then it had to be the last one programmed.

Time to start looking for a small sub to install in the trunk to extend the lows a bit. (Although, the Smart is NOT weak in the bottom end.)

Also... my CoPilot is FAR superior to the factory nav in my wife's Prius. Bluetooth and phone functions work better and are more intuitive on the smart as well. (AND... I have a capacitive multi-touch screen... put THAT in yout 10 gallon tank and drive it for 50 miles!)

:good:

Is there a way to enable Android's Car Mode? I want to use the iheartradio Auto App (easier to use than the regular app) but it will only work if the device is in car mode.

According to the developer's wiki, "Car UI mode always on. User cannot manually switch the system mode."

With that in mind, I tried iHeart Radio on the Asteroid Smart. Apparently, there are two versions of the app; iHeart Radio - Internet Radio and iHeartRadio for Auto. I tried both of them and found kind of weird results.

First, the screenshots:

iHeart Radio - Internet Radio on the Asteroid Smart

iHeartRadio for Auto on the Asteroid Smart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iHeartRadio for Auto on the Nexus 4

Bluetooth Audio on Asteroid Smart

The "iHeart Radio - Internet Radio" app worked fine on the Asteroid Smart. It is a little busy for a car interface but it works. I have a Unika SWC adapter and the Media Next button will switch to next station. I also have a Logitech Keyboard connected with a custom keylayout file to allow the HID media play-pause, prev, and next buttons to work. The USB HID signals for MEDIA NEXT and MEDIA PLAY-PAUSE will work with the iHeart Radio app. It does not respond to the MEDIA PREVIOUS button though.

However, the "iHeartRadio for Auto" didn't work for me. I suspect the root of the problem is that it is checking for a connected bluetooth device with car mode enabled, instead of the actual device it is running on. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my Nexus 4 into "Car Mode" since apparently, it doesn't have one. I even went as far as to install; Car Mode Ultra, Car Mode, and Car Mode Control and none of them would provide the car mode necessary to get iHeart Radio for Auto to work on the Asteroid. Even if it did, I would suspect it would try to play the music on the phone instead of the car speakers.

The last screenshots does show the Nexus 4 using the "iHeart Radio for Auto" app in tandem with the Asteroid Smart. The music is funneled through active bluetooth connection to the Asteroid BUT it is NOT played through the "iHeart Radio - Internet Radio" app. Instead you have to go into Parrot's Music App and select the Audio Source for your phone's Bluetooth. The on-screen Media Next and Previous buttons on the Asteroid will facilitate the rotation selection between the different stations on the Nexus, but I had to press the Media Play/Pause button to actually load them. It is kind of an awkward setup but I suppose that it will do in a pinch if you're not able to tether or connect the Asteroid to WiFi.

If you're looking for something a little more integrated, I suggest that you contact Clear Channel Broadcasting and/or Parrot to see if they can work something out. Parrot already has repackaged other internet streaming apps available in the Asteroid Market, like TuneIn, Orange LiveRadio, Spotify, etc, so they can be accessed as an audio source from their internal music app.

Last edited:
Reactions: pppasa

delboydell

Feb 11, 2003
Sheffield England
What I found when I had to hard wire to my cars SWR controls ( I had to open circuit all the switches and hard wire each one back to the unika . Then set about playing with the resistors. The only way I could find to make the presses work were to have each switch press in the programing sequence increase in resistance not get bigger then smaller like yours? I found it fell over at seek down then messed up the button features.

jss812

Sep 15, 2013
I'm having an issue where whenever I load ANY amount of apps the unit ends up resetting to defaults (it even shows a screenshot of Creature from the Black Lagoon)...not sure if that's normal. Anyways, it's retained root, but it constantly resets to defaults and it's starting to get annoying. Could heat be a factor? I live in Houston, TX and it's always hot and the inside of my car heats up even worse (black car with black leather).

I doubt the heat is causing your problem. I'm south of Houston and drive a black truck, although it does have a gray interior.

ajosefox

Sep 16, 2013
Google Play Services Crashing

I'm trying to get the Play Store installed on my Asteroid but am running into a problem. Google Play Services is crashing on boot. Any ideas? A particular version I should be installing? Do I need to be on the latest Asteroid firmware?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jinster

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys, here's an improved and extended version of my volume control app.

It's functions now are:
- Swipe horizontal and/or vertical to change volume
- Touch anywhere to change volume slider
- Pinch to change volume
- Ramp up volume when unmuting
- UNIKA and HID volume up/down/mute button support

You can configure and enable or disable each and every function. Additionally you can set up a minimum distance delta for detecting a swipe gesture, a custom timeout value before closing the app, the ramp up delay and the pinch sensitivity.

I recommend wiping the app's data before installing the new version.

Many thanks to donaldta for his invaluable help in testing and improving the app.

Outstanding! Thanks for continuing to improve this. Will check out this new version tonight.

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

Yeah, I have looked at it. And had it installed for a few weeks. But I am not sure what it really offers on top of Google Voice Search.

Are you able to give me some ideas on usage scenarios? Thanks.

Last edited:

hoppy_barzed

May 27, 2008
Volvo SCT solution?

Hi,

I have seen it mention a few times in this thread, but haven't seen any answer.
Did somebody find a way to sideload apps to the Volvo Sensus Connected Touch system? it is based on Parrot Asterroid, but with an extremly limited subset of apps in the market.

Any solution?
:)
thanks

moelito

May 6, 2010
+1 on getting other apps on the sensus system. Haven't got it yet but I might get the system soon.
Anyone who has the sensus connect, how limited is the mirror link functionality?

Regards

Skickat från min C6603 med Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
I'm trying to get the Play Store installed on my Asteroid but am running into a problem. Google Play Services is crashing on boot. Any ideas? A particular version I should be installing? Do I need to be on the latest Asteroid firmware?

Go to this thread on the Asteroid Doisara forums. If you create an account there then you can download the correct versions as attachments of the original post.

Yeah, I have looked at it. And had it installed for a few weeks. But I am not sure what it really offers on top of Google Voice Search.

Are you able to give me some ideas on usage scenarios? Thanks.

I only started using it myself. However, it can integrate with Tasker and that alone gives it the to ability to perform much more than what Google Voice Search can do.

I have seen it mention a few times in this thread, but haven't seen any answer.
Did somebody find a way to sideload apps to the Volvo Sensus Connected Touch system? it is based on Parrot Asterroid, but with an extremly limited subset of apps in the market.

Any solution?

That's because nobody with a Volvo Sensus Connected Touch (SCT) has found a way. It is true that the SCT is made by Parrot but there is no indication that it is related to the Asteroid Smart. It might be closer to the Asteroid Mini and Tablet since neither of those have a mini-USB port with the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) either. Besides the form factor of the SCT's "remote e-box" seems to suggest it as well.

I suspect that the only way to install third-party apps other than the Asteroid Market, is if the ability were added to a modified ROM. Parrot uses .plf files to update their hardware. You can see the instructions on how to do it here; http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/sensus-connected-touch. Apparently, they made it so that only SCT owners can download the .plf files through the Asteroid Market. If you have one, then sharing this file would go a long way in aiding to this movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsheeler84

hoppy_barzed

May 27, 2008
[/COLOR]
Go to. If you create an account there then you can download the correct versions as attachments of the original post.

I only started using it myself. However, it can integrate with Tasker and that alone gives it the to ability to perform much more than what Google Voice Search can do.

That's because nobody with a Volvo Sensus Connected Touch (SCT) has found a way. It is true that the SCT is made by Parrot but there is no indication that it is related to the Asteroid Smart. It might be closer to the Asteroid Mini and Tablet since neither of those have a mini-USB port with the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) either. Besides the form factor of the SCT's "remote e-box" seems to suggest it as well.

I suspect that the only way to install third-party apps other than the Asteroid Market, is if the ability were added to a modified ROM. Parrot uses .plf files to update their hardware. You can see the instructions on how to do it here; . Apparently, they made it so that only SCT owners can download the .plf files through the Asteroid Market. If you have one, then sharing this file would go a long way in aiding to this movement.

ok, make sense.
I have just downloaded the latest version of the file:
you can download it here: ht tp :// sdrv . ms / 1dilYEb (remove spaces, I am new to the forum and can't post links)

let me know if you need something else

Last edited:
Reactions: donaldta

mackeystingray

Mar 26, 2008
I don't believe he is confirming that. I believe that he has stopped using Smart Launcher by GinLemon. The default launcher from the Asteroid Smart is actually called Parrot Home2..

Correct. Went back to default and works a bit more consistently instead of locking up or stalling, though it still does it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013
I'm having an issue where whenever I load ANY amount of apps the unit ends up resetting to defaults (it even shows a screenshot of Creature from the Black Lagoon)

Ever since I read this, I had been curious about it. I sort of imagined a small cartoon-like creature but its not. It happened to me today when I was installing Volvo SCT apps on the Smart. :eek: In my case, I think it had to with the limited internal storage capacity. If you are installing lots of applications, the default destination is on the internal storage. You might want to start moving them off to the SD Card.

Apparently, the path to the image is /etc/datavolm.bmp and here are the three different versions.

Asteroid Classic & Mini

Asteroid Smart & Tablet

Volvo Sensus Connected Touch

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure where I found this info, but I don't believe it was here, so I thought I'd leave a little write up about enabling Google Voice Search. First I found and downloaded the old voice search apk. You will need to search for voice search 2.1.4 apk..should be a legitimate free download. However, as I'm sure many have tried and seen, it simply force closes when installed. So, as mentioned, I found a post somewhere that pointed to the missing lib...oh so obviously named libvoicesearch.so. It can be found in the gingerbread gapps zip. Again, you can just search for that...I found it on goo.im/gapps. Now on a basic level, we're done, you can have your voice control icon and a voice input button will be added to maps and the browser.

voice_search.jpg

maps.jpg

browser.jpg

So, we're just missing one more thing...voice typing from the keyboard into any app. Unfortunately whatever it is that triggers keyboards to display a voice input key is still missing. So, simply installing Gingerbread Keyboard isn't enough to enable the functionality. I tried out quite a few keyboards and obviously they are all keying off the same thing...perhaps it's a bit to flip in some config file...regardless it's not there currently. I did find two keyboards(there are possibly more) that will present the key. One is SwiftKey, the other Kii. Neither are free, Kii only clears it's fancy prediction dictionary when not registered, so I went with it...plus it has a better voice input presentation. Only final caveat is that neither of these will show the voice key as a primary key...you have to hold another key and it will popup as the first option...so it's not too bad. Still looking for a perfect solution, but this functions in the meantime.

kii.jpg

I guess I'll go ahead and post up a few other things from my setup that folks might find useful since I'm here.

1. Tablet Talk - Direct Text message forwarding from your phone. There are a few programs like this, but this one uses a direct link (BT or Wifi) from your phone and doesn't have to go out to some other server to store/fetch messages. Interface it okay, designed for tablets, so a bit cramped on the small screen. But seems to function pretty well. I'm connected via bluetooth and it doesn't interfere with voice call functionality at all. You do have to run a service on your phone also, but so far I haven't noticed any negative impact. Oh yeah, needs an Android phone...but we're on XDA right...so that shouldn't be a problem for most.

tablet_talk.jpg

2.Android Weather Widget - I have discovered, along with others, that the majority of weather widgets don't play nicely with the Asteroid. Since it's gingerbread, the widgets basically think it's a phone and even when connected to some wifi network, when it can't get initial location triangulation via a cellular data network...it will never get a location lock. Elsewhere someone found a non-free widget that functioned correctly, but I'm cheap... I finally found the Android Weather Widget after trying quite a few. It's pulls location via the gps and then grabs the needed data from wifi. Works and looks great. Using it with ADW in the screenshot of my current setup. As an aside, so far ADW is working nicely.

adw_weather.jpg

3. PerApp - Most of the time I like to use Google Navigation for my mapping needs. I quickly found there was no way to adjust the volume on the Asteroid. It is not tied to master or notification...well it does adjust with master(since, you know, it's the master volume), but it's at a much lower level than the music so can't play nicely. Found PerApp, which allows me to go in and set up to a +15db increase for the app. Works like a charm. Also has rotation functionality(again per app) that functions great. Only caveat can be found in one of my previous posts. Make sure to turn off it's screen timeout functionality. You can't set it to 0(which in this case is no timeout) and it will default to 1 minute. You will then get an annoying clock popup every minute and go crazy trying to find out why. So after installing you might needs something like SOFFT to reset the default timeout.

4. AsteroidTweaker - Mentioned just above, I basically use this to have a reboot functionality without having to have a paperclip handy along with getting my unit to resume from my USB drive most of the time. Also has various other tweak and fixes. Worth a look. Steering wheel control people, it claims to have some fixes for that also...but I haven't looked into it much as I do not. One negative I have noticed is that when switching between sources, it get's a little confused and jumps back a forth for a second...I don't switch sources that often, so minor annoyance for me.

5. Droid VNC Server, Dropbear SSH Server(not my first choice and now discontinued, but works). Using VNC to capture screens, it's also nice to play around from the comfort of my house. A bit slow to refresh and makes some actions pretty difficult, but overall works well. Always nice to be able to SSH in and take a look around also.

6. AdAway - Host file ad blocker.

7. Mongoose web server - This is actually for running on a windows PC. Just throwing it in because it's handy. Basically just throw the executable in a directory of file you want to access remotely and start it up. Then you can browse to your pc from the Asteroid Smart web browser and download the stuff you are wanting to get on your device. Sure you could also start up the SSH Server and scp, or install and sftp server, but this is just handy sometime.

Anyway, hope this might help some folks out. I had nice helpful links in place for the apps, but XDA apparently did not care for that within my great wall of text. Not quite sure why it refused to let me post with the links... Anyway, let me know if you have any questions on things I've mentioned...
    Thank you, sounds great. Please keep us updated! :good:

So, i've managed to build a kernel, compile CWM and i'm in the process of compiling CM10.1

luckily my Big bro works for HP and has loaned me a VM on one of his HPCloud Farms.

my current issue is reverting to a working unit. if i replace the current recovery with CWM, i cant just put a stock rom back because the stock rom uses a PLF file. i was hoping that the PLF was just a renamed ZIP, but i dont think it is.

so, as you can understand i'm a bit wary of just flashing the recovery.img using ADB if i cant but it all back.. i've taken a copy of the mtd0 and mtd 1 devices but they're pretty useless if i cant get the thing to boot and its bricked..

i'll do some research and maybe even get in touch with parrot themselves to see what my options are..
    Hey everyone,

After a few failed attempts at getting the Play Store working on my Asteroid Smart I eventually got it to work, to be honest it wasn't complicated just long winded.

I have gone through the other write up's and some didn't work (at least for me anyway) so I thought I'd share 'my' installation process, if it helps 1 person then it was worth the effort :good:

1. Install Framaroot from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276 I used 1.4.1

I followed this video to install the apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4LSdZ3OBs

This is the installation procedure I followed for Framaroot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFVkjtxaWA

After installing Framaroot, take the little panel off the left hand side and reboot!

2. Download Root Browser Lite from here and Install.

3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk here & Vending.apk here and copy both files onto your SD card.

4, Install GoogleServicesFramework.apk

I then rebooted the Asteroid Smart.

5. Using Root Browser Lite, locate Vending.apk on your SD Card and copy the file to /system/app on the root of the Asteroid.

6. Long press the Vending.apk file and go to 'Permissions' I set Users/Group/Others to Read & Write access.

Again I rebooted the Asteroid.

7. Create a shortcut to Vending and login to your google account, at this point I did get an error but I just continued and logged in.

That was it :D It works perfectly!

I also installed used Market Helper from here to trick the Google Play Store into thinking my Asteroid was my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only issue I found doing this was that the setup screen didn't fit the Smart too well so I used 'Ultimate Rotation Control' downloaded from the play store to set the screen into Portrait mode while I used Market Helper.

I now have CoPilot live installed :good:

I know it's a bit long but it worked for me, hopefully it will be of use to others :cool:
    We now have root :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    So, today i created an Amazon AWS EC2 instance with the sole intention of porting Jellybean to the Asteroid Smart.

i've never port a ROM before and this will be a very steep learning Curve, but i'm hoping that due to the lack of built in Radio Modems and other boards that it should be easier that other devices. Famous last words eh?

i'll prob make a separate Thread for my progress but if anyone has any experience to share, please feel free.