Samsung Integration for Substratum (Nougat) Support Thread

Search This thread

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
0piImTB.png

List of available themes ready for Samsung thanks to @pimpmaneaton: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/help/collection-substratum-themes-compatible-t3635673

ATTENTION: You can still run Substratum Legacy (shows in the toolbar) without the addon, but it may not work with Samsung devices, so you must get the addon app!

How to apply Substratum themes
  1. First, you will need to install the apps listed above
  2. Download a theme that doesn't rely on Android System or theme ready Google Apps...so find themes like Swift Black or Swift Dark on Play Store.
  3. Once you install the theme, Substratum will throw a notification saying that a new theme has been installed
  4. Open the theme in Substratum and click on the app (one at a time for now only) and click the button on the bottom right.
  5. Click Install and let it compile. It will ask to install an APK to your device. Install it.
  6. You can switch to that application and see if it is themed. If it isn't, manually force close the app in Settings or reboot your device.
  7. (ATTENTION) It is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended NOT to apply Android System and SystemUI elements as of yet UNLESS your theme supports it and shows "dangerous overlays" by default. For themers, all you have to do is set @bool/ThemeSupportSamsung to true.

Current Bugs
- none

How to recover?
You will have to boot up in Safe Mode (comes default on every device)
  1. Reboot your device
  2. Hold down the Volume Down key while booting up
  3. You are now in Safe Mode
  4. Go into Settings -> Apps, then find the overlay you think is messing up and uninstall!

How to recover if the above doesn't work? (Credits to Evozi)
  1. Turn on screen and press power button. It will show "Shutdown", "Restart", "Emergency Mode"
  2. Turn on "Emergency Mode", keep spam the checkbox so you can tick the checkbox to proceed the agreement. (phone is super lagging)
  3. While you are in emergency mode, you have very limited access. Open any system app and go to recent task list.
  4. Long press the app task, press the info icon and app detail page will appear.
  5. Hit the back button and it will show your whole app list.
  6. Find your overlay and remove all its storage and phone permissions.
  7. Deactivate Emergency Mode and now you are back to TouchWiz.
  8. Uninstall the overlay app.

Instructional video, thanks @DaKoin!

Last edited:

Animu_Ac

Dec 11, 2016
Any free themes that somewat give the same experience like swift black or drk

Nbpataky

May 24, 2017
Requirements:
Be a member of our Telegram group: https://t.me/SeXstratum (This group is HIGHLY moderated, please heed the rules and moderators!)
Have a Samsung device running Nougat (Android 7.0+)
Root is NOT required

First, you will need to install the APK from the pinned section of the group (under the group name)
Download a theme that doesn't rely on Android System or theme ready Google Apps, so like Swift Black or Swift Dark on Play Store.
Once you install the theme, Substratum will throw a notification saying that a new theme has been installed
Open the theme in Substratum and click on the app (one at a time for now only) and click the button on the bottom right.
Click Install and let it compile. It will ask to install an APK to your device. Install it.
Reboot or force close the app in Settings to apply the theme to that app.
(ATTENTION) It is highly recommended NOT to apply Android System and SystemUI elements as of yet.

Current Bugs
- Detection method of installing apps is not done yet, so you can't uninstall from the theme, only by using the Overlay List (open the drawer and click Overlay List)

How to recover?
Reboot your device
Hold down the Volume Down key while booting up
You are now in Safe Mode
Go into Settings -> Apps, then find the overlay you think is messing up and uninstall!
Found another way to recover if you install status bar stuff. Remove your sim tray

CacheOnlyPlease

Jan 11, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
First, thank you for this. Second, I'm slightly skeptical on how well this works but can't wait to be proven wrong.

Third, I tried to boot into safe mode to see if I could before I screw anything up, and when I hold volume down when booting, it hangs on my carrier's splash screen for like 5 minutes and never boots to safe mode. I'm on US Cellular (don't laugh...). I was just wondering if anyone else had this little issue with booting into safe mode?

EDIT: I have an S8+ and just realized you have to tap and hold the Power Off button (on screen) to get into Safe Mode - note that it seems to take forever to boot, just be patient with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: suaverc118

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
You have to join their Telegram group. Then click on the 3 dots in the upper right and hit Files. Kind of a shady way to hand out an apk, but I'm not one to talk.

Our full operation runs through Telegram but soon it will be on Play Store too.

The reasoning behind this is because we have build bots to automatically compile an updated APK and send it to the chat when I push a commit, also a nice way to directly contact the devs (me).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using XDA Labs

bx10r

Apr 9, 2010
Man, im in love again, inbox,nova,google app all transparent with my transparent theme

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170612-155244.jpg
    Screenshot_20170612-155244.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 20,513
  • Screenshot_20170612-155252.jpg
    Screenshot_20170612-155252.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 20,371
  • Screenshot_20170612-155411.jpg
    Screenshot_20170612-155411.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 20,191
  • Screenshot_20170612-155513.jpg
    Screenshot_20170612-155513.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 19,078

CacheOnlyPlease

Jan 11, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

The reasoning behind this is because we have build bots to automatically compile an updated APK and send it to the chat when I push a commit, also a nice way to directly contact the devs (me).

That's understandable. Apologies if my comment came off as rude.

mrmattolsen

Mar 2, 2015
It probably goes without saying ... but proceed with caution with this and backup ahead of time. I threw caution to the wind and installed a system overlay that my S7 didn't like apparently and left me with a completely black/blank screen. Booting into safe mode just gave me the words "Safe mode" at the bottom but still a black screen. No ability to remove the bad stuff. No option left other than to wipe & restore.

Works great though! Installed some nifty overlays to test beforehand. Looking forward to seeing this project evolve. Thanks dev!

CacheOnlyPlease

Jan 11, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
It probably goes without saying ... but proceed with caution with this and backup ahead of time. I threw caution to the wind and installed a system overlay that my S7 didn't like apparently and left me with a completely black/blank screen. Booting into safe mode just gave me the words "Safe mode" at the bottom but still a black screen. No ability to remove the bad stuff. No option left other than to wipe & restore.

Works great though! Installed some nifty overlays to test beforehand. Looking forward to seeing this project evolve. Thanks dev!

Just curious, how did you wipe and restore if it just gave you a blank screen in safe mode? I'm proceeding with caution on this as well.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com

Hmm, you applied Android System didn't you? I gave a warning already in the main post.

Yeah, don't touch those unless you're dealing with Samsung Substratum specific themes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0piImTB.png

List of available themes ready for Samsung thanks to @pimpmaneaton: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/help/collection-substratum-themes-compatible-t3635673

ATTENTION: You can still run Substratum Legacy (shows in the toolbar) without the addon, but it may not work with Samsung devices, so you must get the addon app!

1. First, you will need to install the apps listed above
    2. Download a theme that doesn't rely on Android System or theme ready Google Apps...so find themes like Swift Black or Swift Dark on Play Store.
    3. Once you install the theme, Substratum will throw a notification saying that a new theme has been installed
    4. Open the theme in Substratum and click on the app (one at a time for now only) and click the button on the bottom right.
    5. Click Install and let it compile. It will ask to install an APK to your device. Install it.
    6. You can switch to that application and see if it is themed. If it isn't, manually force close the app in Settings or reboot your device.
    7. (ATTENTION) It is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended NOT to apply Android System and SystemUI elements as of yet UNLESS your theme supports it and shows "dangerous overlays" by default. For themers, all you have to do is set @bool/ThemeSupportSamsung to true.

Current Bugs
    - none

How to recover?
    1. Reboot your device
    2. Hold down the Volume Down key while booting up
    3. You are now in Safe Mode
    4. Go into Settings -> Apps, then find the overlay you think is messing up and uninstall!

How to recover if the above doesn't work? (Credits to Evozi)
    1. Turn on screen and press power button. It will show "Shutdown", "Restart", "Emergency Mode"
    2. Turn on "Emergency Mode", keep spam the checkbox so you can tick the checkbox to proceed the agreement. (phone is super lagging)
    3. While you are in emergency mode, you have very limited access. Open any system app and go to recent task list.
    4. Long press the app task, press the info icon and app detail page will appear.
    5. Hit the back button and it will show your whole app list.
    6. Find your overlay and remove all its storage and phone permissions.
    7. Deactivate Emergency Mode and now you are back to TouchWiz.
    8. Uninstall the overlay app.

Instructional video, thanks @DaKoin!
    S8 users, Swift for Samsung will be free starting around 2am until Monday. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brit.swift.samsung
    You have to join their Telegram group. Then click on the 3 dots in the upper right and hit Files. Kind of a shady way to hand out an apk, but I'm not one to talk.

We have just pushed Substratum 816!

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=73382210&postcount=12

To emphasize more on Samsung tweaks, as @OhayouBaka stated, there's now a priority selection in Substratum's settings, so previously automatically reverted overlays on Samsung devices (other than Google) will now be able to stick (hopefully!)

Also, Substratum now works perfectly on ENG U1 unlocked firmware with root, which means that you guys ACTUALLY have a rooted options now for Samsung so that it installs overlays silently! Thanks @OhayouBaka and @InFlames03 for testing root functionality and @elliwigy for ENG firmware tests!

Samsung Addon Users (v20 release):

We have added the ThemeKiller into as part of the package, please use the "What is this?" button if you don't understand how to enter your own ELM key :)

A HUGE thanks to @Tigerhoods, @elliwigy, @bigmase, @Venom0642, @markbencze, @ted77usa, @zplit, @OhayouBaka and @InFlames03 for all their support and testing during this beta phase!
    Request granted by nicholaschum. Thanks bruh ?

UPDATE :
    Fresh update of Substratum apk.

links down below. June-24

MEGA:

https://mega.nz/#!s5wnHaTR!ZrQVdQzvQd1N52XpCDBiAis_p0XFWlcJUHHSqOwgln0

Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwxe_U6-ifS3YVJ4SncxMjhRTm8/view?usp=drivesdk