[Tutorial]The Definitive FIX YOUR BATTERY Instructions

Search This thread

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
All credit for this solution goes to Vlad_z from the 10.1 Forums!

There has been a lot of confusion regarding some battery issues that arose after flashing the ICS port from kallt_kaffee so I thought I'd make this post to have it easily findable instead of buried inside one of the threads.
First of all: YOUR BATTERY IS NOT BROKEN! RELAX! ;)

Now, lets get into what causes the problem:
There is a chip in our tabs that measures the voltage and then reports to the OS.
This chip has to be calibrated properly and for some reason the ICS port discalibrated it.
To recalibrate it, it needs to take two voltage measurements to once again gauge the battery correctly.
For in depth explanation read HERE

There is a way of reading the voltage of our tab, which is the only way to correctly show the charge.
Either use terminal emulator on the tab then its:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now
or use adb (also works from recovery)
adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now

This will give you a number which is the current voltage of the battery.
Fully charged its around 4100 completely drained around 3400!
If your OS reports low battery and the charge reads 4000 or 3900 or some other high number you definately need to recalibrate!

Here is how you get it calibrated again:
1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the first measurement)

3. plug it to charger and charge it for 5 hours.

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the second measurement)

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

Hope this helps you out!
Don't take any shortcuts! Let it sit for the hour while switched off! This is vital for the recalibration!
After completing this my tab now correctly shows 100% charge and looks to have normal discharge once again.

Last edited:

Idlekilla

Aug 7, 2012
I just have to say that this method did NOT work for me, and believe me I have tried many times over the last couple of weeks. The only thing that finally worked for me was to completely drain (in CWM) and then charge it to 100%, turn off, wipe battery stats (voodoo for some) and turn back on.

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
I just have to say that this method did NOT work for me, and believe me I have tried many times over the last couple of weeks. The only thing that finally worked for me was to completely drain (in CWM) and then charge it to 100%, turn off, wipe battery stats (voodoo for some) and turn back on.

wiping battery stats has no effect on this problem. it just erases your usage data! (just thought id let you know)
the way you did it only worked for some time for me. all was looking good but soon the random "drain" started up again. hope you fixed yours for good though!

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
Is this battery fix work for ported ICS by KK or for different ROM?

it will work for ALL roms, seen as it is a fix on the hardware level.
but it was mostly used for the problems caused by the ics port by KK!
however if your battery life seems off with any other rom this will probably also fix it!

Reactions: usopheak

ibanezq

Mar 9, 2007
Warsaw
How to prevent this problem?
I just flash a A1 custom kernel and I have this bug again.

Wysyłane z mojego HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e za pomocą Tapatalk 2

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
How to prevent this problem?
I just flash a A1 custom kernel and I have this bug again.

Wysyłane z mojego HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e za pomocą Tapatalk 2

could well be that the ported 10.1 kernel is causing this. i got lucky and didn't encounter any problems after flashing A1 custom kernel.

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
Did you flash the kernel at 100% battery state?

yeah i think so.
im getting used to only flash with my devices fully charged. on my razr i have to do it because flashing with lower battery can result in big problems, if the initial flash goes wrong so im getting used to charging my tab fully before flashing stuff...

solhasse

Feb 17, 2011
My phone has a little bit over 4100 when fully charged after flashing the nordic sammy release of ICS. But the battery drains fast as hell. So do I have to do this or is something wrong? And also, will going back to GB fix my problem?

just to confirm that flashing the ported ics with 100% battery will not solve the battery issue. When the first rundown cycle happens it will last for the normal 2 days or so but when connecting to the charger, the system thinks that the battery is still empty even if getting close to 4100mV. Calibration will have to be done again.
Also, i am not able to get the adb commands in recovery. Anyone has any clue??

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
Try mounting /system first in recovery... Then run the adb stuff. That worked for me

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Reactions: lrcquest

soomat

Jun 22, 2010
Jakarta
There is a way of reading the voltage of our tab, which is the only way to correctly show the charge.
can someone give me a hint if i use adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now via adb what will show up ...??
cause when i entering adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now i can't find the 4digit number that indicates highest & lowest voltage on my tab that i found is 7 digit number.. :(

Cheers

boscorama

May 27, 2012
can someone give me a hint if i use adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now via adb what will show up ...??
cause when i entering adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now i can't find the 4digit number that indicates highest & lowest voltage on my tab that i found is 7 digit number.. :(

Cheers
That's the number (you will only get one). In later kernels it seems to be reported as micro-volts instead of milli-volts. So ignore the last 3 digits.

Thus, for the number 3993123 you should just interpret it as 3993 for the purposes of this exercise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit for this solution goes to Vlad_z from the 10.1 Forums!

There has been a lot of confusion regarding some battery issues that arose after flashing the ICS port from kallt_kaffee so I thought I'd make this post to have it easily findable instead of buried inside one of the threads.
    First of all: YOUR BATTERY IS NOT BROKEN! RELAX! ;)

Now, lets get into what causes the problem:
    There is a chip in our tabs that measures the voltage and then reports to the OS.
    This chip has to be calibrated properly and for some reason the ICS port discalibrated it.
    To recalibrate it, it needs to take two voltage measurements to once again gauge the battery correctly.
    For in depth explanation read HERE

This will give you a number which is the current voltage of the battery.
    Fully charged its around 4100 completely drained around 3400!
    If your OS reports low battery and the charge reads 4000 or 3900 or some other high number you definately need to recalibrate!

Here is how you get it calibrated again:
    1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the first measurement)

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the second measurement)

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

Hope this helps you out!
    Don't take any shortcuts! Let it sit for the hour while switched off! This is vital for the recalibration!
    After completing this my tab now correctly shows 100% charge and looks to have normal discharge once again.
    For those who are new to ADB, here is some detailing. Had posted this in another thread, but think it is more relevant here.

first u need android sdk in your pc. download & install the same. it will be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk" in an 64 bit pc. in the command prompt go to this location. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"
    from this point u can use the adb commands.
    first check with the command "adb help"
    u will get some responses.
    u have to mount the system (in the cwm recovery) in the mount & storage section. then only will the device communicate with the pc in adb.
    now connect the equipment (which is now in recovery mode) to the pc & use the command "adb devices"
    u will get some sort of numbers instead of the 7300 or galaxy tab etc.
    use the following command to know the voltage. "adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now"
    pls note that there is a space in between "cat & /sys"

now follow the steps.

this is definitely a laborious process, but there is no option but to follow this.
    hope this helps.
    wiping battery stats has no effect on this problem. it just erases your usage data!

Yes, hence the voodoo-reference, but I felt I had to add what I did in any case.
    how about battery calibrate from play store, will that help?

Don't think so... The problem is with the chip level not os level
    You need to drain in recovery. (repeatedly cause it shuts down every hour)

Or just stop on the screen where you choose cwm or downlod mode and let it drain there without having the 1 hour shutdown cycle.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using xda app-developers app