Everything to know about Nokia Care Suite and Flashing Lumias

Search This thread

thals1992

Sep 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
www.uidnation.com
As there has been little progress made, I thought I could get the ball rolling myself. The purpose of this is to find a way to execute AT commands either on the device or via USB (for internet tethering purposes/general phone modification), and to discover how the bootloader works to devise a method to install a custom rom, or just installing unbranded/different roms for the same device, but different product code.

As a note before starting this, is my first device that's a Nokia, I'm taking this as a shot completely in the dark.
I haven't had any experience with Navifirm nor any of the Nokia utilities used in the past to flash either Symbian or WP7 devices, but I'm quickly learning.

PREREQUISITES:
http://www.seidea.com/2013/08/10/how-to-download-nokia-firmware-with-nokia-care-suite/ (the edited usergroupsconfiguration.cfg file)
http://www.seidea.com/2013/07/14/nokia-care-suite-pst-5-0-2013-27-1-3/ (the latest version of the Nokia Care Suite - 5.0 2013.27.1.3)

The USB drivers need to be installed first. The WinUSB drivers that were included are the only drivers that seem to apply to this device, but I went ahead and installed all the drivers in D:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers

Driver Level Stuff

There are still a few devices shown without a driver. Here's the list
Code:
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_03 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_03
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_06 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_06
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_02 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_02
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_01 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_01
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_00 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_00
I have no idea whats the purpose of these devices and using the driver update inside of Device Manager, it couldn't find anything.
Using my google-fu gave no results either.I could use some help in this department.

The following two are listed as Nokia USB Connectivity (which pst uses to run diagnostics)
Code:
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_04 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_04
USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_05 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_05
which have the following files listed: winusb.sys WdfCoInstaller01009.dll and winusbcoinstaller2.dll

EDIT: found what the following devices functions are
Test mode devices:
MI_1 = MODEM
MI_2 = NMEA
MI_3 = TRACE
MI_4 = NOKIA_JSONRPC
MI_5 = NOKIA_ISI
MI_6 = DIAG
[Mi_4] uses a generic remote control protocol used by NCS (All the data shown in NCS is retrieved using JSONRPC). Contains functions like WriteNvData, WriteEfsFile, ReadManufacturerModelName, SetDeviceMode etc. Commands are in json form.
There is an old post with example of command: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35256188&postcount=8
Same protocol is supported in MainOS device mode. Some of operations have different names, but in general it is the same.
The following is a walk-through for initiating these protocols
NOTE: The link above is not for the faint of heart. Its a link to a MSDN library. The walk-through assumes that you understand Windows already and have some background in programming.

The following process is the diagnostics TEST mode. It mostly relates to various hardware tests, like color pallets and tone generators.

So far, I have installed it on Win8Pro and started the Product Support Tool For Store. I then switched the product mode from Normal to Test and reboots into something that looks like a bootloader menu.
Since the text is blurry, It says:
NOKIA

ENOSW
RM680 1232.5957./9200.10211
181341 2013/02/28

RF INACTIVE​

When it has reconnected in the phone information tab, this is shown.
Code:
Software Version (Test)	RM860 1232.5957.9200.10211 181341 2013/02/28 //alpha_engine/ENO_LASER_F3 
Software Version (Normal)	1532.5957.1318.3021
Product Code	059R224
Software Status	Up-to-date

NCSd Version (Normal)	1.24
Module Code	0205229
Basic Product Code	059N5M4
PSN Number	CGQ790279
Hardware Version	1000
Bluetooth Id	************
Public Id	****************************************
Wlan Mac Address	************ ************ ************ ************
Label App Version (Test)	Security LabelSW 4.24.0.55964

Hardware info
===========
MAIN ASIC	
Main Asic Version	4.1

POWER ASIC	
Pmic Model	1
Pmic Number	0
Pmic Revision	4

NFC	
Firmware Version	1.26
Hardware Version	0.3
Model Id	0.1

DISPLAY	
Manufacturer	0xFE
Display Type	0x90
Display Consecutive Number	0xBC
Display Horizontal Resolution In Pixels	768
Display Vertical Resolution In Pixels	1280

MAIN CAMERA	
Model Id	18497
Revision	0.2
Serial Number	0A0101AE00000000
Manufacture Id	16
Sensor Id	10484100

FRONT CAMERA	
Model Id	27184
Revision	3.0
Serial Number	0115323500000000
Manufacture Id	10
Sensor Id	0A6A3003

CAMERA FLASH	
Hardware Design	18
Hardware Version	4
Flash Info 1	46
Flash Info 2	17

ACCELEROMETER	
Manufacturer	KIONIX
Model	KXTNK-1000

ALS	
Manufacturer	AVAGO
Model	QPDS-T900

PROXIMITY	
Manufacturer	AVAGO
Model	QPDS-T900

Test Tab
When in this mode, the following options may be performed in NCS.

• Self Test:
    Test audio components, the accelerometer (gives positioning), gyroscope (same), the magnometer(gives positioning as well), the proximity sensor (pass/fail for if it works or not), nfc and its antenna, wlan, bt interface, temperatures (in Celsius) for Bluetooth, pa and osc (whatever those parts are), the display interface, the touch interface, camera interface and ois (idk what these are besides odd x,y values) and miscellaneous flash tests (which include a xenon charging time and its lifetime counter.
  • Touch Display Test:
    Gives x and y coordinates for a single touch point.
  • Display Test:
    Displays a white pattern, a black pattern, a checkerboard pattern, and different rgb shades with black.
  • Vibra Test:
    Vibrates the phone based on percentage.
  • SIM Test:
    Checks if a SIM card has been inserted. (fails with Verizon shipped sim EDIT: Now succeeds since PST update) It also is supposed to perform something else, but can't validate.
  • Mic Test:
    Records and plays audio back through various inputs and outputs.
  • Accelerometer Test:
    Gives "gravity" data in x,y,z format.
  • Audio Output Test:
    Plays four tones through various outputs at three different volumes.

Another interesting thing: When powering off the phone and turning it back on, Windows attempts to find drivers for "Nokia BOOTMGR", but it occurs too quickly to install.

Can someone with experience with Nokia other phones contribute assistance? It seems like I'm just meddling with NCS and I could possibly brick my main phone. (I was told to only install the ffu it was designed for.)

Flashing ffus from the same device, but using a different product code
I haven't been around to know enough, and its unknown if the Lumia 928 will be launched on any different carrier or in a different country.
Anyways I'll quote snickler's post to summarize.
Hi All,
I've spent the past 4 days looking for a solution to get the Amber Update on my AT&T Branded Lumia 920 without installing a European ROM and changing to RM-821. After searching endlessly, I've found my solution that works!
Prerequisites
* Nokia WP8 Drivers
* Nokia Care Suite 2013.13.4.4
* WperHelper v1.2 Note: This is in Chinese. I don't know Chinese AT ALL, but I've been able to figure my way around the app
* Rogers Pre-Poritco ROM. Download the last group of files for Roger, not the AT&T ones.
Steps:
* DONT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE YET TO THE COMPUTER.
* Extract/Install Nokia Care Suite. Open Care Suite when it's done installing and just put it to the side
* Install WperHelper. It's all in chinese, but the buttons should be easy to navigate through
* Download the last group of files for the pre-portico ROM if you haven't done so already.
* Go to the Run menu on your system and go to "C:\programdata\nokia\Packages\Products". Create a new folder named "RM-820". If you already have files in here from a previous ROM installation, move them somewhere else. The group of files you downloaded for the Pre-Portico ROM will need to be moved inside of this folder.
* Rename the pre-portico files removing the checksum from beginning of the file name.

Here's what you should have as files

• * RM820_1232.2109.1242.1002_RETAIL_nam_canada_200_02_100347_prd_signed.ffu
    * RM-820_RM-821_RM-822_TypeLabel_Group1_DM_5.33x5.33_CoO_Eng__001.xml
    * CustomerNvi_31019d17537fb461136cdf3481825681_12421_100343_8410.nvi
    * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039.vpl
    * 112545v3.pcx
    * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039.dcp
    * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039_signature.bin
    * RM820_059R2L8_ccc_v039.bin
    * RM820_059R2L8_hwt_v039.bin
    * NWP8_WP8_Rogers_Fido_simlock_crcFCB5.bin
    * DC_template_development_v4.bin
* Go back to NCS and double click on the Product Support Tool. If you don't see the little menu with the choices of apps to install, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" and click on ProductSupportToolForStore.exe (Make sure the icon is an arrow. We don't need to open the .MANIFEST file).
* When the Sign in popup comes on the screen. click Work offline.
Click File -> Open Product and type in RM-820 in the filter then press Open
* At the bottom left panel, click on Programming -> Recovery.
* In the Properties listing, you should see 059R2L8 RM-820_Rogers_Canada_VAR240202_V2_Yellow 1232.2109.1242.1002
* Click on that line that shows the data that I listed above then click the Start button.
* Plug in your phone to the USB now, hold the Vol-Down + Power buttons until the phone restarts and you hear a vibration.
* When you hear the vibration, press Retry.
* You should see a little menu saying that the Product Code doesn't match, press Okay to continue.
* Let it flash.
* After the phone has flashed, set it up, but don't login to your Microsoft account yet (It's pointless at this point). Configure Wi-Fi though.
* Go to Settings -> Phone update and check for updates. The first round of updates will put you on to Portico.
* After these updates go through (It will take forever for it to finish Preparing to Install), you'll have to check for updates two more times in order to install Nokia Updates.
* After these two extra updates, your phone will be up to date.
* Now comes the fun part. Open up the WperHelper that you installed earlier.
* On the Top group of text links(The bigger text), chose the second one from the left. It should bring up a screen with 4 drop downs.
* From left to right, choose the following as values: Nokia, Lumia 920, RM-820, 3047.0000.1326.2001.
* Click on the 059R2L5 button that is located under the first dropdown. At the bottom right part of the screen, you'll see a download icon (downward facing arrow with a line underneath of it). Click it.
* This will start to download the ROM. When complete, Click on the Top group of text links, click on the third one then click on the second smaller text link underneath of it.
* You should see bbs.wper.com_059R2L5.7z. Click on it then click the lightning bolt on the bottom left corner. This will extract the FFU package.
* After it's complete, you'll see a new screen with a picture of a Windows phone and a bunch of Chinese text (I wish I had a translation). At this point you'll want to click the button that is listed directly under ( Step ).
* This will automatically begin the ROM updating process. You'll be able to see a little log running at the bottom of the screen on whether the Flashing is working or not.
* The place where the Windows Phone is showing will display the actual progress of flashing as it appears on your phone. You should be seeing the red screen with the progress bar on your windows phone by now. If this happens for you, then you're on your way to having the Amber Update.
A few things to note
After fully flashed, it'll bring you back to the typical phone set up screen. After you get to the main homescreen, wait a minute or so because it will require a reboot. After you bring the phone back up, go to Settings -> Access Point and choose AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia. This will set up the MMS and Data settings correctly.
Have fun!

Photos/Screenshots will be posted later.

Thanks for reading the long post!

Last edited:

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Test mode itself isn't really interesting AFAIK. There are plenty of other bootloader modes which may sound more interesting.

thals1992

Sep 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
www.uidnation.com
I updated the OP with the new Nokia Care Suite that's been available for a while. Also, I'm going to start to look into some of the Qualcomm MSM Mode soon. Hopefully someone has documented info how that whole process works. I'm looking at you AdvanceBox (the "first" external software/hardware that will flash the Lumia 928...)

Reactions: ilam82

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Well, it isn't hard to trigger different USB modes. "Nokia USB Connectivity" device is WINUSB compatible. But Qualcomm Diagnostics Mode device available in Test mode (there are no drivers, but you may edit existing ones...) isn't working well since it is restricted. Although, SPC seems to be 000000, but it isn't enough.

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Useful addon for you. Test mode devices:
MI_1 = MODEM
MI_2 = NMEA
MI_3 = TRACE
MI_4 = NOKIA_JSONRPC
MI_5 = NOKIA_ISI
MI_6 = DIAG

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
as for
Another interesting thing: When powering off the phone and turning it back on, Windows attempts to find drivers for "Nokia Bootloader", but it occurs too quickly to install.
you're definitely talking about Nokia BOOTMGR. It has commands to boot into different modes, and it is indeed possible to make phone stay in this mode. However, overall it isn't interesting.

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
ultrashot, do you know what is that mode for? The mode name sounds interesting ("remote procedure call via JSON requests"?)
It is generic remote control protocol used by NCS (All the data shown in NCS is retrieved using JSONRPC). Contains functions like WriteNvData, WriteEfsFile, ReadManufacturerModelName, SetDeviceMode etc. Commands are in json form.
There is an old post with example of command: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35256188&postcount=8
Same protocol is supported in MainOS device mode. Some of operations have different names, but in general it is the same.

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
It is generic remote control protocol used by NCS (All the data shown in NCS is retrieved using JSONRPC). Contains functions like WriteNvData, WriteEfsFile, ReadManufacturerModelName, SetDeviceMode etc. Commands are in json form.

How do we initiate these protocols? (Yes, epic noob question here, but you know your stuff)

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
I'm going to attempt to make a program that will kick the device into those multiple modes.
http://goodmovieslist.com/movie-quotes/There is no try - Yoda.jpg
Code:
data = "Test", "Flash", "Normal", "PowerOff", "PowerOffImmediate";
strcpy(buffer, "{\"jsonrpc\":\"2.0\",\"id\":55,\"method\":\"SetDeviceMode\",\"params\":{\"MessageVersion\":0,\"DeviceMode\":\"");
strcat(buffer, data);
strcat(buffer, "\",\"ResetMethod\":\"HwReset\"}}");
+
WriteToBulkEndpoint

I'll check if anything from my research on this thread is worth sharing - i have lots of snippets, but it is not that useful atm.

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
Code:
strcpy(buffer, "{\"jsonrpc\":\"2.0\",\"id\":55,\"method\":\"SetDeviceMode\",\"params\":{\"MessageVersion\":0,\"DeviceMode\":\"");
strcat(buffer, data);
+
WriteToBulkEndpoint

I'll check if anything from my research on this thread is worth sharing - i have lots of snippets, but it is not that useful atm.

You are way too awesome to be human.

thals1992

Sep 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
www.uidnation.com

Code:

strcat(buffer, data);

+

WriteToBulkEndpoint

Any research is good research. If the right people see it, they will come and possibly contribute.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As there has been little progress made, I thought I could get the ball rolling myself. The purpose of this is to find a way to execute AT commands either on the device or via USB (for internet tethering purposes/general phone modification), and to discover how the bootloader works to devise a method to install a custom rom, or just installing unbranded/different roms for the same device, but different product code.

As a note before starting this, is my first device that's a Nokia, I'm taking this as a shot completely in the dark.
    I haven't had any experience with Navifirm nor any of the Nokia utilities used in the past to flash either Symbian or WP7 devices, but I'm quickly learning.

PREREQUISITES:
    http://www.seidea.com/2013/08/10/how-to-download-nokia-firmware-with-nokia-care-suite/ (the edited usergroupsconfiguration.cfg file)
    http://www.seidea.com/2013/07/14/nokia-care-suite-pst-5-0-2013-27-1-3/ (the latest version of the Nokia Care Suite - 5.0 2013.27.1.3)

The USB drivers need to be installed first. The WinUSB drivers that were included are the only drivers that seem to apply to this device, but I went ahead and installed all the drivers in D:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers

Driver Level Stuff

There are still a few devices shown without a driver. Here's the list
    Code:
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_03 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_03
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_06 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_06
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_02 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_02
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_01 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_01
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_00 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_00
    I have no idea whats the purpose of these devices and using the driver update inside of Device Manager, it couldn't find anything.
    Using my google-fu gave no results either.I could use some help in this department.

The following two are listed as Nokia USB Connectivity (which pst uses to run diagnostics)
    Code:
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_04 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_04
    USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&REV_0100&MI_05 + USB\VID_0421&PID_0660&MI_05
    which have the following files listed: winusb.sys WdfCoInstaller01009.dll and winusbcoinstaller2.dll

EDIT: found what the following devices functions are
    Test mode devices:
    MI_1 = MODEM
    MI_2 = NMEA
    MI_3 = TRACE
    MI_4 = NOKIA_JSONRPC
    MI_5 = NOKIA_ISI
    MI_6 = DIAG
    [Mi_4] uses a generic remote control protocol used by NCS (All the data shown in NCS is retrieved using JSONRPC). Contains functions like WriteNvData, WriteEfsFile, ReadManufacturerModelName, SetDeviceMode etc. Commands are in json form.
    The following is a walk-through for initiating these protocols
    NOTE: The link above is not for the faint of heart. Its a link to a MSDN library. The walk-through assumes that you understand Windows already and have some background in programming.

The following process is the diagnostics TEST mode. It mostly relates to various hardware tests, like color pallets and tone generators.

So far, I have installed it on Win8Pro and started the Product Support Tool For Store. I then switched the product mode from Normal to Test and reboots into something that looks like a bootloader menu.
    Since the text is blurry, It says:
    NOKIA

ENOSW
    RM680 1232.5957./9200.10211
    181341 2013/02/28

RF INACTIVE​

When it has reconnected in the phone information tab, this is shown.
    Code:
    Software Version (Test)	RM860 1232.5957.9200.10211 181341 2013/02/28 //alpha_engine/ENO_LASER_F3 
    Software Version (Normal)	1532.5957.1318.3021
    Product Code	059R224
    Software Status	Up-to-date

NCSd Version (Normal)	1.24
    Module Code	0205229
    Basic Product Code	059N5M4
    PSN Number	CGQ790279
    Hardware Version	1000
    Bluetooth Id	************
    Public Id	****************************************
    Wlan Mac Address	************ ************ ************ ************
    Label App Version (Test)	Security LabelSW 4.24.0.55964

Hardware info
    ===========
    MAIN ASIC	
    Main Asic Version	4.1

POWER ASIC	
    Pmic Model	1
    Pmic Number	0
    Pmic Revision	4

NFC	
    Firmware Version	1.26
    Hardware Version	0.3
    Model Id	0.1

DISPLAY	
    Manufacturer	0xFE
    Display Type	0x90
    Display Consecutive Number	0xBC
    Display Horizontal Resolution In Pixels	768
    Display Vertical Resolution In Pixels	1280

MAIN CAMERA	
    Model Id	18497
    Revision	0.2
    Serial Number	0A0101AE00000000
    Manufacture Id	16
    Sensor Id	10484100

FRONT CAMERA	
    Model Id	27184
    Revision	3.0
    Serial Number	0115323500000000
    Manufacture Id	10
    Sensor Id	0A6A3003

CAMERA FLASH	
    Hardware Design	18
    Hardware Version	4
    Flash Info 1	46
    Flash Info 2	17

ACCELEROMETER	
    Manufacturer	KIONIX
    Model	KXTNK-1000

ALS	
    Manufacturer	AVAGO
    Model	QPDS-T900

PROXIMITY	
    Manufacturer	AVAGO
    Model	QPDS-T900

Test Tab
    When in this mode, the following options may be performed in NCS.

• Self Test:
      Test audio components, the accelerometer (gives positioning), gyroscope (same), the magnometer(gives positioning as well), the proximity sensor (pass/fail for if it works or not), nfc and its antenna, wlan, bt interface, temperatures (in Celsius) for Bluetooth, pa and osc (whatever those parts are), the display interface, the touch interface, camera interface and ois (idk what these are besides odd x,y values) and miscellaneous flash tests (which include a xenon charging time and its lifetime counter.
    • Touch Display Test:
      Gives x and y coordinates for a single touch point.
    • Display Test:
      Displays a white pattern, a black pattern, a checkerboard pattern, and different rgb shades with black.
    • Vibra Test:
      Vibrates the phone based on percentage.
    • SIM Test:
      Checks if a SIM card has been inserted. (fails with Verizon shipped sim EDIT: Now succeeds since PST update) It also is supposed to perform something else, but can't validate.
    • Mic Test:
      Records and plays audio back through various inputs and outputs.
    • Accelerometer Test:
      Gives "gravity" data in x,y,z format.
    • Audio Output Test:
      Plays four tones through various outputs at three different volumes.

Another interesting thing: When powering off the phone and turning it back on, Windows attempts to find drivers for "Nokia BOOTMGR", but it occurs too quickly to install.

Can someone with experience with Nokia other phones contribute assistance? It seems like I'm just meddling with NCS and I could possibly brick my main phone. (I was told to only install the ffu it was designed for.)

Flashing ffus from the same device, but using a different product code
    I haven't been around to know enough, and its unknown if the Lumia 928 will be launched on any different carrier or in a different country.
    Anyways I'll quote snickler's post to summarize.
    Hi All,
    I've spent the past 4 days looking for a solution to get the Amber Update on my AT&T Branded Lumia 920 without installing a European ROM and changing to RM-821. After searching endlessly, I've found my solution that works!
    Prerequisites
    * Nokia WP8 Drivers
    * Nokia Care Suite 2013.13.4.4
    * WperHelper v1.2 Note: This is in Chinese. I don't know Chinese AT ALL, but I've been able to figure my way around the app
    * Rogers Pre-Poritco ROM. Download the last group of files for Roger, not the AT&T ones.
    Steps:
    * DONT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE YET TO THE COMPUTER.
    * Extract/Install Nokia Care Suite. Open Care Suite when it's done installing and just put it to the side
    * Install WperHelper. It's all in chinese, but the buttons should be easy to navigate through
    * Download the last group of files for the pre-portico ROM if you haven't done so already.
    * Go to the Run menu on your system and go to "C:\programdata\nokia\Packages\Products". Create a new folder named "RM-820". If you already have files in here from a previous ROM installation, move them somewhere else. The group of files you downloaded for the Pre-Portico ROM will need to be moved inside of this folder.
    * Rename the pre-portico files removing the checksum from beginning of the file name.

Here's what you should have as files

• * RM820_1232.2109.1242.1002_RETAIL_nam_canada_200_02_100347_prd_signed.ffu
      * RM-820_RM-821_RM-822_TypeLabel_Group1_DM_5.33x5.33_CoO_Eng__001.xml
      * CustomerNvi_31019d17537fb461136cdf3481825681_12421_100343_8410.nvi
      * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039.vpl
      * 112545v3.pcx
      * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039.dcp
      * RM820_059R2L8_1232.2109.1242.1002_039_signature.bin
      * RM820_059R2L8_ccc_v039.bin
      * RM820_059R2L8_hwt_v039.bin
      * NWP8_WP8_Rogers_Fido_simlock_crcFCB5.bin
      * DC_template_development_v4.bin
    * Go back to NCS and double click on the Product Support Tool. If you don't see the little menu with the choices of apps to install, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" and click on ProductSupportToolForStore.exe (Make sure the icon is an arrow. We don't need to open the .MANIFEST file).
    * When the Sign in popup comes on the screen. click Work offline.
    Click File -> Open Product and type in RM-820 in the filter then press Open
    * At the bottom left panel, click on Programming -> Recovery.
    * In the Properties listing, you should see 059R2L8 RM-820_Rogers_Canada_VAR240202_V2_Yellow 1232.2109.1242.1002
    * Click on that line that shows the data that I listed above then click the Start button.
    * Plug in your phone to the USB now, hold the Vol-Down + Power buttons until the phone restarts and you hear a vibration.
    * When you hear the vibration, press Retry.
    * You should see a little menu saying that the Product Code doesn't match, press Okay to continue.
    * Let it flash.
    * After the phone has flashed, set it up, but don't login to your Microsoft account yet (It's pointless at this point). Configure Wi-Fi though.
    * Go to Settings -> Phone update and check for updates. The first round of updates will put you on to Portico.
    * After these updates go through (It will take forever for it to finish Preparing to Install), you'll have to check for updates two more times in order to install Nokia Updates.
    * After these two extra updates, your phone will be up to date.
    * Now comes the fun part. Open up the WperHelper that you installed earlier.
    * On the Top group of text links(The bigger text), chose the second one from the left. It should bring up a screen with 4 drop downs.
    * From left to right, choose the following as values: Nokia, Lumia 920, RM-820, 3047.0000.1326.2001.
    * Click on the 059R2L5 button that is located under the first dropdown. At the bottom right part of the screen, you'll see a download icon (downward facing arrow with a line underneath of it). Click it.
    * This will start to download the ROM. When complete, Click on the Top group of text links, click on the third one then click on the second smaller text link underneath of it.
    * You should see bbs.wper.com_059R2L5.7z. Click on it then click the lightning bolt on the bottom left corner. This will extract the FFU package.
    * After it's complete, you'll see a new screen with a picture of a Windows phone and a bunch of Chinese text (I wish I had a translation). At this point you'll want to click the button that is listed directly under ( Step ).
    * This will automatically begin the ROM updating process. You'll be able to see a little log running at the bottom of the screen on whether the Flashing is working or not.
    * The place where the Windows Phone is showing will display the actual progress of flashing as it appears on your phone. You should be seeing the red screen with the progress bar on your windows phone by now. If this happens for you, then you're on your way to having the Amber Update.
    A few things to note
    After fully flashed, it'll bring you back to the typical phone set up screen. After you get to the main homescreen, wait a minute or so because it will require a reboot. After you bring the phone back up, go to Settings -> Access Point and choose AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia. This will set up the MMS and Data settings correctly.
    Have fun!

Photos/Screenshots will be posted later.

Thanks for reading the long post!
    Nokia Software Updater for Retail
    This is a SIMPLE tool that will allow a user to reflash/update his device. It has a checkbox that can be unchecked to prevent it to erase user data.
    It can be downloaded from seidea.com

To be covered:
    Nokia Data Package Manager
    I updated the OP with the new Nokia Care Suite that's been available for a while. Also, I'm going to start to look into some of the Qualcomm MSM Mode soon. Hopefully someone has documented info how that whole process works. I'm looking at you AdvanceBox (the "first" external software/hardware that will flash the Lumia 928...)
    USBTrace is alright on Win8 x64 (except that sometimes it causes BSOD - but probably that's only my issue)