SBH80 headset with APTX support

Search This thread

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
Hey has anyone tried out the new Sony SBH80? Looks pretty cool and good to see it supports APTX too! Would be keen to hear how well it works with the Xperia Z Ultra.

It's got mixed reviews on Amazon so far (link) but it's only $115 delivered so a pretty good price for a premium wireless headset.

Coolpsi

Feb 8, 2014
Faro
Hey has anyone tried out the new Sony SBH80? Looks pretty cool and good to see it supports APTX too! Would be keen to hear how well it works with the Xperia Z Ultra.

It's got mixed reviews on Amazon so far (link) but it's only $115 delivered so a pretty good price for a premium wireless headset.

Hello "julz", I have posted a few comments on this threads about the SBH 80 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2690241 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2673683), why don't you take a look at them and, after that, if you want to ask me something else feel free! Cheers.

Reactions: julz

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
Thanks for the links! I'm still after some more feedback on how well it works whilst running. Do the weights flop around and how about the neckband? Does it constantly shift and feel like it's about to fall off? Have you had the intermittent playback issues? I presume you're using a Z Ultra?

Thanks!

Coolpsi

Feb 8, 2014
Faro
Thanks for the links! I'm still after some more feedback on how well it works whilst running. Do the weights flop around and how about the neckband? Does it constantly shift and feel like it's about to fall off? Have you had the intermittent playback issues? I presume you're using a Z Ultra?

Thanks!

Good morning "julz" - well, for me it's morning time -, first of all, yes, I have been using the headset mainly with my Z ultra and, occasionally, with my BQ Edison tablet; by the way, as expected, they work proprely when connected to both devices at the same time (for exemple, watching a movie on the tablet, the headset will give me a signal that I have an incoming call and it is possible to answer it without problems). As you may already know, I bought this headset mainly for sports purpose and I am quit satisfied with it. Regarding your other questions, I have to emphasize that I am not a picky kind of guy regarding headset's, having said this, I don't note any flops with the lateral control units or neckband. I don't use to have the sensation that their are about to fall (at least on my 60 to 90 minutes runs) and I just refit the neckband occasionally (nothing that bothers me). Regarding the intermitente playback issues, I have shared my experience in the two threads that I suggested you yesterday. All and all, with me, I think those issues are somehow wi-fi related, but those are far from being a deal breaker for me because those circunstances are very particular (read my postes). Finally an update about the battery autonomy, if I recall it right, Sony advertise that they can stream 6 hours of music but, a couple of charges ago I got more than 7 hours of juice! Not bad! I hope I've been helpfull. Cheers.

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
They look fine but, in my particular case, I needed some kind of water resistant headset. Untill now, I had no problems with my prespiration with the Sony one's. Cheers.

Dude, just buy the Jaybird BlueBudsX, you will be glad you did. I researched forever for aptx compatible bluetooth headsets. I tried the LG Tone+ HBS-730s and ended up returning them. The collar was so annoying, and I bet the SBH80's will be as well.

The BlueBudsX are the most low-profile out of every bluetooth set on the market, just the buds and a flat cable you can tighten as much or as little as you like. They don't use aptx but do use a proprietary technology they call "Shift." I'm no audiophile, but for day to day listening, while working out, etc, they're great.

Just my opinion.

nabsWindu

Oct 4, 2012
Absolute trash, these things

Started out good...but after using them for a few days, started experiencing persistent signal losses...even from 2 inches away. The worst bluetooth device i've ever owned. And no, they're impossible to run with. Don't believe the hype.

Coolpsi

Feb 8, 2014
Faro
Started out good...but after using them for a few days, started experiencing persistent signal losses...even from 2 inches away. The worst bluetooth device i've ever owned. And no, they're impossible to run with. Don't believe the hype.

Hello, besides the persistant signal losses that you report, I don't get why you say they are impossible to run with... I run very confortably with them from 30 minutes to two hour runs. :-/

siakhan

Jan 9, 2009
Earth

\i have same problem.
it driving me crazy!! test it with other devices and got same problem.
if i keep the phone beside the hands-free it will work good as soon as i put my phone in my bag or on table it starts loosing connection!!!!

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
Does anyone who has the sbh80 found a source of replacement ear buds/grommets?
I lost one and called Sony who said they don't sell replacements. They're a different size to others, so I can't use some from some crappy other headset.

Last edited:

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
my previous post got autocorrected and the negative became a positive :(

so, I CAN'T find any earbuds which fit my SBH80 amongst my collection of old headsets

Top Liked Posts