Disable OTA on the 2nd Gen Fire TV stick :

Search This thread

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Update: It's been reported that the method works on FireOS up to and including 5.2.6.0, but does not work on 5.2.6.1

To catch a break, and avoid force fed OTA updates, run these commands from your ADB:
Code:
adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

This will disable the OTA apps till the next factory reset. In case there is ever root, your system will be old enough to be rootable.

Once you do this, and go check for system updates, it'll generate a message "System update failed".

More details can be found in this thread.

Last edited:

krsmit0

Apr 26, 2012
this was patched on the tablets and if not already will likely be patched on the sticks soon as well.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
this was patched on the tablets and if not already will likely be patched on the sticks soon as well.

Sure, nothing lasts forever ... But even more reason to do this NOW !!!

At the moment, I have this version : Fire OS 5.2.4.1, ro.build.date=Fri Jun 9 23:01:51 UTC 2017, so not patched yet.

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
This should allow debloating the Fire TV sticks. Does anyone have a list with apps that you can safely remove? Maybe even replacing the stock launcher is possible. Although on the Fire HD 10 5th generation removing the stock launcher breaks the home button detection.

Yes, you can completely replace Fire Stick Launcher without root! But first ensure, that all settings are made, because you can not access certain settings anymore (again only after a factory reset).
And you must install another launcher first, e.g. AppStarter (https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter/releases)

1. Uninstall:
  • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
  • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override
  • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.nimh
  • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.launcher

2. Access settings then via ADB without com.amazon.tv.launcher (Fire Stick "tank" on 5.2.4.1):
  • Controller:
    Code:
    adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.controllers_bluetooth_devices.ControllersAndBluetoothActivity
  • App-Menu:
    Code:
    adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.applications.ApplicationsActivity
  • Network:
    Code:
    adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.network.NetworkActivity
  • Factory Reset:
    Code:
    adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.FactoryResetActivity

Last edited:
Reactions: Bropinski

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Thanks! Do you know what settings are affected?
yes, because of we can't grant com.amazon.tv.permission.LAUNCHER_SETTINGS to com.amazon.tv.settings (adb -d shell pm grant com.amazon.tv.settings com.amazon.tv.permission.LAUNCHER_SETTINGS), you can't access the following settings anymore:
  • Account (but you'll in no way ever change your Amazon Account)
  • Display & Sound (so set each setting there to "automatic" before you uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher)
  • Info/About (you'll not need that anyway)
  • Childlock (no need for that anyway, because you will not have Amazon Launcher)
  • Debug/ADB (so set ADB/USB to "yes" before you uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher and you'll be fine)

I can recommend Activity Launcher to open settings, it also allows you to open some hidden settings. See NO ROOT: Use 'Activity Launcher' to remove accounts, grant/revoke usage access.
Thanks, I'll try that...

Last edited:

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
After installing modified "Android TV Settings" (https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4255667&d=1503965469) with regular "adb install" you can access the following settings again if amazon.tv.launcher is disabled or uninstalled (non-root):
  • Sound (system sounds only)
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.device.sound.SoundActivity
  • Info/About
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.about.AboutActivity
  • Debug/ADB
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.system.DeveloperOptionsActivity
  • CEC/HDMI Control
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.system.InputsActivity
  • Bluetooth/Pairing
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.accessories.AddAccessoryActivity
  • Date/Time
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.system.DateTimeActivity
  • Device Name
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.name.DeviceNameSettingsActivity
  • Language
    Code:
    com.android.tv.settings.system.LanguageActivity

Last edited:

meohmy

Aug 7, 2015
Do the ADB commands in post 1 work on the 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV please? (not the stick).
I have just acquired one which is non rooted and loaded with software v5.2.4.2 which I understand that I am unable to root.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

TV33

Sep 12, 2017
apologiez for hijacking your thread, these infors are very appreciated.

i 'accidently' uninstalled "com.amazon.tv.settings", any idea how i can force a factory reset? Installing the modfied "Android TV Settings" didnt help.

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Last edited:

meohmy

Aug 7, 2015
Worked first time so thanks for all the info, now to get a vpn so I can start using it.

remoter3406

Mar 19, 2008
Hi, I need help
I have a Fire TV Stick2 (Tank), after trying Post #7 I have no choice to change the WIFI account.
Post #10 doesn't work.
Any Idea? Post #15 seems not possible for "tank"

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Hi, I need help
I have a Fire TV Stick2 (Tank), after trying Post #7 I have no choice to change the WIFI account.

You will have access to wifi on Fire TV Stick2 ("tank") with this cmd as stated in post #7:
Code:

Post #10 doesn't work.
Did yo install the modified "Android TV Settings" first. The command definitely works then!

Any Idea? Post #15 seems not possible for "tank"

It's possible with an Micro USB OTA adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00N2LSLKA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

remoter3406

Mar 19, 2008
You will have access to wifi on Fire TV Stick2 ("tank") with this cmd as stated in post #7:
Code:

First, sorry for my english. I mean WIFI is working with my WIFI repeater, but I want change it to my main WIFI router. How?

Did yo install the modified "Android TV Settings" first. The command definitely works then!

Yes, I installed the "apk" and it apears on TV, but no reaction. Is a adb command needed for activating?

It's possible with an Micro USB OTA adapter:

OK, this is the last try if I coudn't change the WIFI
Many Thanks for your quick response:)

Last edited:

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
First, sorry for my english. I mean WIFI is working with my WIFI repeater, but I want change it to my main WIFI router. How?
I will show you a screenshot of that later this evening...

Yes, I installed the "apk" and it apears on TV, but no reaction. Is a adb command needed for activating?
You can't click the icon, you must access the settings of it via adb or the app "Activity Lauchner" mentioned in this thread:
Code:
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.about.AboutActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.accessories.AddAccessoryActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.device.sound.SoundActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.name.DeviceNameSettingsActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.system.DateTimeActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.system.DeveloperOptionsActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.system.InputsActivity
adb shell am start -n com.android.tv.settings.system.LanguageActivity

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: It's been reported that the method works on FireOS up to and including 5.2.6.0, but does not work on 5.2.6.1

To catch a break, and avoid force fed OTA updates, run these commands from your ADB:
    Code:
    adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
    adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

This will disable the OTA apps till the next factory reset. In case there is ever root, your system will be old enough to be rootable.

Once you do this, and go check for system updates, it'll generate a message "System update failed".

More details can be found in this thread.
    Just for clarification, removing to much FireTV system apps is very dangerous an can simply lead to a freeze at boot! And without root/TWRP your Stick2 then is bricked forever! :)

I knew the risk, that is why I said I took a leap of faith ;)

Perhaps you can post here, what apks you removed?

I started a new thread about disabling bloatware. I have given credit to everyone in this thread for your help in making a faster Amazon Fire TV Stick v2 until root. Thanks again Gentlemen!
    This should allow debloating the Fire TV sticks. Does anyone have a list with apps that you can safely remove? Maybe even replacing the stock launcher is possible. Although on the Fire HD 10 5th generation removing the stock launcher breaks the home button detection.

Yes, you can completely replace Fire Stick Launcher without root! But first ensure, that all settings are made, because you can not access certain settings anymore (again only after a factory reset).
    And you must install another launcher first, e.g. AppStarter (https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter/releases)

1. Uninstall:
    • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
    • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override
    • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.nimh
    • adb uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.launcher

2. Access settings then via ADB without com.amazon.tv.launcher (Fire Stick "tank" on 5.2.4.1):
    • Controller:
      Code:
      adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.controllers_bluetooth_devices.ControllersAndBluetoothActivity
    • App-Menu:
      Code:
      adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.applications.ApplicationsActivity
    • Network:
      Code:
    • Factory Reset:
      Code:
      adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.settings/.tv.FactoryResetActivity
    After installing modified "Android TV Settings" (https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4255667&d=1503965469) with regular "adb install" you can access the following settings again if amazon.tv.launcher is disabled or uninstalled (non-root):
    • Sound (system sounds only)
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.device.sound.SoundActivity
    • Info/About
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.about.AboutActivity
    • Debug/ADB
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.system.DeveloperOptionsActivity
    • CEC/HDMI Control
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.system.InputsActivity
    • Bluetooth/Pairing
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.accessories.AddAccessoryActivity
    • Date/Time
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.system.DateTimeActivity
    • Device Name
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.name.DeviceNameSettingsActivity
    • Language
      Code:
      com.android.tv.settings.system.LanguageActivity
    Thanks! Do you know what settings are affected?
    yes, because of we can't grant com.amazon.tv.permission.LAUNCHER_SETTINGS to com.amazon.tv.settings (adb -d shell pm grant com.amazon.tv.settings com.amazon.tv.permission.LAUNCHER_SETTINGS), you can't access the following settings anymore:
    • Account (but you'll in no way ever change your Amazon Account)
    • Display & Sound (so set each setting there to "automatic" before you uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher)
    • Info/About (you'll not need that anyway)
    • Childlock (no need for that anyway, because you will not have Amazon Launcher)
    • Debug/ADB (so set ADB/USB to "yes" before you uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher and you'll be fine)

I can recommend Activity Launcher to open settings, it also allows you to open some hidden settings. See NO ROOT: Use 'Activity Launcher' to remove accounts, grant/revoke usage access.
    Thanks, I'll try that...