Flash ROM From SD Card?

Search This thread

mar11974

Dec 23, 2006
It is possible!

Thanks for everyones help, but I figured it out. Flash is possible on the dash from the SD Card. Now I just need that wm6 rom and I'll be in business.

mar11974

Dec 23, 2006
Flash from SD using original TMO rom

This is what I did:

1. OPEN RUU_Excalibur.exe with an archiver and extract files to temporary directory (the file we want is the EXCAIMG*.nbh)
2. Format SD card using FAT32
3. Insert SD card into phone
4. Connect using ActiveSync
5. Rename nbh file to "EXCAIMG.nbh"
6. Copy EXCAIMG.nbh to SD card
7. Disconnect phone
8. Start Manual Bootloader (hold camera key for three seconds and press power button)
9. After quick messages (checking sd card, etc.) you should get "Update SD image? Press power button to download" screen with countdown in bottom corner
10. After timeout you will go to color bars UI

Exit bootloader: hold camera key, wait three seconds and hold down power key also until phone turns off

My phone is not unlocked, so I didn't test with other roms.

mar11974

Dec 23, 2006
SD Flash WM5 works SD Flash WM6 doesn't?

Ok, using the extracted nbh file from the original WM5 Dash ROM, I perform the following operations using the command prompt under windows:
1. Format SD card (FAT32)
2. Rename nbh file to EXCAIMG.nbh
3. copy EXCAIMG.nbh to blank SD card
4. copy any additional files to SD card (cabs, homescreens, ringtones, etc...)
5. Insert SD card into phone and power on while holding down the two softkeys
This method allows me to flash the phone back to WM5, but when using the nbh file from the WM6 Test ROM it will not work. Can anyone tell me why? WM6 -> WM5 works, but WM5-> WM6 doesn't. Is it the bootloader (same or downgrade only) or is it the signing of the ROM, could it be something else I'm missing?

Standard T-Mobile Dash (Not CID/SIM Unlocked)

toteu.com

Mar 8, 2007
I don't find on wiki how to flash a ROM Image from an SD Card to MDA Vario (Wizard). Can you help me?

kunjalr

Dec 29, 2006
Is the .nbh file talked about the bootloader only (~1.5 MB file) or the entire ROM image (~36 MB)?

This is what I did:

1. OPEN RUU_Excalibur.exe with an archiver and extract files to temporary directory (the file we want is the EXCAIMG*.nbh)
7. Disconnect phone
8. Start Manual Bootloader (hold camera key for three seconds and press power button)
9. After quick messages (checking sd card, etc.) you should get "Update SD image? Press power button to download" screen with countdown in bottom corner

Exit bootloader: hold camera key, wait three seconds and hold down power key also until phone turns off

fuLLah

Aug 24, 2007
is there anyway to boot from an SD card that doesn't require the use of the power button? Mine is broken:( and the rom seems corrupt on my phone.

gixxum

Jan 6, 2008
California
can i ask why you would load the rom from an SD card when you state "connect to active sync"? if you have a computer there, that the phone is connected to, why not just use it to flash the rom?

fuLLah

Aug 24, 2007
can i ask why you would load the rom from an SD card when you state "connect to active sync"? if you have a computer there, that the phone is connected to, why not just use it to flash the rom?

Because my power button is broken and I can barely get the phone into bootloader. While in bootloader, active sync will not connect to the phone so I can flash it via my computer. Thats why I was wondering if I coud flash thru the SD card.

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
This is what I did:

7. Disconnect phone

Thanks mate, your info above saved my unlocked athena (X7500) on which I had flashed a wm6.5 ROM which was faulty, and had completely taken over my athena, and refused to flash any other roms.

I have now reflashed with original rom before I try to flash other roms again.

Thanks once again.

PS. The last step does not work with Athena, what works is to simply do a soft reset by inserting the stylus into the reset hole.

kash2k7

May 4, 2008
helpp

does this only work with the original rom becasue i tries and it said invailid cerfiticate

GrayTea

Dec 1, 2009
I've done all the steps,but I still can't enter bootloader.I'm holding camera key for 3s,and then I press the POWER buttons while still holding camera key,but the phone start normally.Could anyone show me how to enter bootloader ? More clearly

Mr. Clown

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee - Fear a Clown
Staff member
Nov 29, 2008
Lake Ridge, Virginia
I've done all the steps,but I still can't enter bootloader.I'm holding camera key for 3s,and then I press the POWER buttons while still holding camera key,but the phone start normally.Could anyone show me how to enter bootloader ? More clearly

Keep trying, you are probably holding too much time the power button.;)

GrayTea

Dec 1, 2009
Keep trying, you are probably holding too much time the power button.;)
Thanks but I still can't do it :( Do I need to release cam key when I press Power ?? or holding it ? Same question for Power button ? I'd know the timer is very important..
Funny,I've sitting in front of my clock,count 3,and do it ~ 1k time,mine buttons are nearly broken :D

REDKOF

Apr 3, 2009
To enter bootloader

Remove the batery
Put batery :p
Press & holding camera buttom
Connect Cable USB PC to Phone...

Last edited: