[Q]About firmwares and custom roms etc.

Search This thread

saintgein

Jan 27, 2013
Hello people.

I recently bought an xperia z1. A very nice phone which works really well, except for a few things. Hence this topic.

I experience good battery life and quite fast loading of apps etc, but i notice that scrolling inside some apps goes stuttery and laggy. Something i didn't expect from a phone with this kinda hardware. Ecspecially phonebook, call log and gmail have problems with this, just like facebook for example.

Now the questions.

Is this a thing that will be fixed in a future firmware release? And if i install a custom rom using a something like doomkernel, will this issue be better?

It really bothers me somehow, and i don't mind unlocking the bootloader to fix this issue. But if i'm not sure that it will fix this stutter and lag, i think it might not be worth it getting problems etc with warranty.

Thanks in advance for answering

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Yes, it can be improved. There is not fix on that and no one can said perfectly what is related too. I got some light laggy launcher but i live with that as it do more stuff than the stock one.

So, if you find an application laggy is not the phone, is the application it self which is badly coded and don't working correctly as it should.

I give you an example, I have Virtua Tennis purchased long time ago, V2.0, then updates after updates the game become laggy as hell, what that mean, that mean updates are ment to improve the application but if they are bad coded they will give you laggy issues, I reverted to v2.0.

At the end I don't think a Firmware will solve all this problems but you can be sure, you will get improvements installing Custom Roms or Custom Kernels which are ment to performing your device.

I don't saying it is worth to unlock bootloader, check also the applications which working in background, all the time they are the main reason for laggy phone as they run and eat ram and CPU.

You have to spend time flashing some latest FW and find the most stable combination.

saintgein

Jan 27, 2013
Yes, it can be improved. There is not fix on that and no one can said perfectly what is related too. I got some light laggy launcher but i live with that as it do more stuff than the stock one.

So, if you find an application laggy is not the phone, is the application it self which is badly coded and don't working correctly as it should.

I give you an example, I have Virtua Tennis purchased long time ago, V2.0, then updates after updates the game become laggy as hell, what that mean, that mean updates are ment to improve the application but if they are bad coded they will give you laggy issues, I reverted to v2.0.

At the end I don't think a Firmware will solve all this problems but you can be sure, you will get improvements installing Custom Roms or Custom Kernels which are ment to performing your device.

I don't saying it is worth to unlock bootloader, check also the applications which working in background, all the time they are the main reason for laggy phone as they run and eat ram and CPU.

You have to spend time flashing some latest FW and find the most stable combination.
Thanks for the quick answer!

And what you're saying about the background apps eating ram and cpu, i was thinking the same thing. I notice the lag is random, sometimes it goes quite fluent and sometimes its like i'm working with a phone that can't handle the os because of low specs. Really weird. Is there any tool that gives detailed insight into these background apps and stuff?

The main thing bothering me is the phone/phonebook/call log app which is delivered from sony itself. It's just text, and even that makes the scrolling in that app very stuttery. While i get updates for apps like album, and the scrolling inside that app goes smooth as silk. Just like scrolling within chrome (although it sometimes hangs for a very short moment).

And btw. rooting and deodexing without unlocking the bootloader, will that help too? I guess there's tools that make better performance too then. Or is working with unlocked bootloader better?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Is there any tool that gives detailed insight into these background apps and stuff?

Yes, there is an application which check what application wake up your phone or running when the phone is in sleep or even when it should be off but is not. At the moment I don't remember that application as I never used that one, but I know there is as it was mentioned many times for the same reason and battery drain.

And btw. rooting and deodexing without unlocking the bootloader, will that help too? I guess there's tools that make better performance too then. Or is working with unlocked bootloader better?

Root your phone will definitely help in many ways as many Applications to check your system need Root access, and also if you find an system app that cause your issues and uninstalling is necessary then Root is needed too. Deodexing can improve the customization as it meant for it but is not for performance, so is just up to you if you want to do it or not. There is no tool which will improve performance on your phone, my personal opinion they are all junk application, like the kind of System cleaner. Android is not Windows.

Rooting and Deodexing can be done without Unlocking Bootloader. Unlocking Bootloader is for flash Custom Kernels only. You still can flash Custom Roms based on Stock Kernels.

Reactions: saintgein

saintgein

Jan 27, 2013
Not really but that kind of stuff it can not be done without Root, I guess.

Where did you find the information about it?
I noticed that custom roms like romaur and ihackers included that mod. Then i looked it up on google and found some articles which said that many apps have a bad way of handling that cache. I also don't have any experience with other firmwares than the unrooted 4.4.2. Hence my question.

Now i'm also thinking that sony puts alot of effort into optimizing apps for this purpose with new devices, maybe that's why i hear that the 4.2.2 experiences are much better than the newest 4.4.2. But that can also be a bit negative thinking, since i still got hope that future firmwares will make scrolling through call log/phonebook or gmail better.

Although on my old xperia s i noticed the same. With the 4.1 firmware installed, the facebook app scrolled alot better then the with the updates that came after it. Just like stock browser always been the best scroller. Unlike chrome and firefox for example. On my z1 chrome clearly is the best scroller btw, just hangs sometimes. But then it's on long facebook pages etc. Otherwise its very fluent.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is there any tool that gives detailed insight into these background apps and stuff?

Yes, there is an application which check what application wake up your phone or running when the phone is in sleep or even when it should be off but is not. At the moment I don't remember that application as I never used that one, but I know there is as it was mentioned many times for the same reason and battery drain.

Root your phone will definitely help in many ways as many Applications to check your system need Root access, and also if you find an system app that cause your issues and uninstalling is necessary then Root is needed too. Deodexing can improve the customization as it meant for it but is not for performance, so is just up to you if you want to do it or not. There is no tool which will improve performance on your phone, my personal opinion they are all junk application, like the kind of System cleaner. Android is not Windows.

Rooting and Deodexing can be done without Unlocking Bootloader. Unlocking Bootloader is for flash Custom Kernels only. You still can flash Custom Roms based on Stock Kernels.