Root & Install CM7 on Mytouch 3G Slide 2.2.1

Search This thread

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
This worked for me for the most part. One caveat, my first attempt failed because I was still on 2.1 (didn't even think to check). Updated to 2.2 via MyTouch updater then ran the steps again (which takes it back to 2.1!). I got the errors from the MT3G Rooter program that it couldn't cd to that directory and run the exploid, and the updater couldn't change the bootloader since my HBOOT is too late... but I just kept on moving and now running CM7 rooted.

The only thing I see is because I am still S-ON I can't update SU... so I guess I'll have to play now with S-OFF on the device.

Thanks OP and others for sharing your experience.

seangeezy12

ok so that ESPRIMG.zip is downloaded on my PC im using Vista...but ummmm it wount let me unzip it so i just put it on my SD card and now what...when i use the mt3s thing....when it gets to the ESPRIMG.zip file... it looks like this "ESPRIMG.zip..........................." what exactly is supposed to happened at this point can somebody please tell me? im confused i got all the downloads and i dont know what im doing wrong and i believe it has something to do with this file...help please

txrocker281

Aug 28, 2009
i have followed instructions and used super oneclick, but it freezes and crashes on
"waiting for device"

EDIT:
Ok, I have rooted it now,but when I get to bootloader and try to apply the ESPRIMG update it says "main version is older" and it just forces me to restart.

ESPRESSO PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.02.0000
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0104
RADIO-7.15.35.16

Last edited:

kurplop

Oct 2, 2010
Bring up a command prompt,
Adb devices
It should show your phone.
If not your USB Adb drivers are not loaded properly.

°··:··SGSII T989~ juggernaut v4.1~ synergy v.0.10··:··°

txrocker281

Aug 28, 2009
Bring up a command prompt,
Adb devices
It should show your phone.
If not your USB Adb drivers are not loaded properly.

It shows the device when i use the cmd prompt.
It still gets stuck on Step 5 (Waiting for device)

kurplop

Oct 2, 2010
If you follow the OP, and be persistent it should go. I just rooted 3 of these, first one took me 2 days, the other 2 took a couple hours. Keep trying keep reading, double check everything! Good luck to you. (on CM7 web site there was an updated esprimg)

txrocker281

Aug 28, 2009
If you follow the OP, and be persistent it should go. I just rooted 3 of these, first one took me 2 days, the other 2 took a couple hours. Keep trying keep reading, double check everything! Good luck to you. (on CM7 web site there was an updated esprimg)

I have OVER and OVER and OVER. Sorry if I sound like an asshole,but it is frustrating lol.

updated esprimg.where? i do not see it here
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-slide

kurplop

Oct 2, 2010
I found it @CM7 Web site. I had 2 days into the first one,I hear you. Google is your friend. Google Mt3gs CM7 , lots to read. Hope you get it figured out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44457550/esprimg.zip
here is the esprimg file from cm7's web site copy it to your sd.
°··:··SGSII T989~ juggernaut v5.0~ synergy v.0.10··:··°

Last edited:
Reactions: Monster809

rmbb

Dec 16, 2011
Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

I can't this part right. I run the "adb" file in the mt3gs folder but nothing happens, I never see a program launch and certainly not a "Root Me" button.

So clearly something is wrong, but what?

fiveseven808

Jun 2, 2010
I can't this part right. I run the "adb" file in the mt3gs folder but nothing happens, I never see a program launch and certainly not a "Root Me" button.

So clearly something is wrong, but what?

You don't run the adb file, that doesn't help you at all. Run the file "mt3gs rooter"

That has the "Root Me" button.

Also, to all those having problems, make sure you have the HTC drivers installed (obtainable by installing the HTC Sync software), and then make sure the SDcard you're using is formatted in FAT32. Mine was formatted in FAT and caused problems~

After that, everything should flow smoothly! :)

Marko13

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you greatly! This is the only thing that worked after trying 10 or so different methods.

Seth0084

Nov 2, 2010
Stuck on CM7 boot screen

So I followed all of the directions to a T and everything went super smoothly until I tried to reboot......well I rebooted into CM7 and the android on a skateboard flew by stopped with the arrow flying around him in a circle and now the arrow is just going around and a around and a around. You get the idea.

So I'm stuck on the boot screen. Any suggestions on what I can do? Please be explicit as I'm a noob and still trying to learn. Thanks!

(I've tried to go back to the recovery and reflash it (cleared cache, user data and what not.) But to no avail, still stuck on the boot screen)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I currently have an unusable phone. Thanks!:(

DLipsitz

Apr 1, 2012
Followed directions PRECISELY, works!

Finally, a solution that works!

I followed the directions precisely, though I did some preparation first:

Bought a new SDHC 4GB "4" blank card, and let the phone prepare it. I found I did NOT need to create a "goldcard" at all (which is not in the instructions <- hint). Following the instructions in the OP, both the phone and my Vista 64 PC were able to "see" the card as needed by each.

Downloading SuperOneClick 1.7 generated security warnings with Microsoft Security Essentials, with its response being to remove the zip file from the computer. I changed the setting for that particular program to "Allow," and then re-downloaded it. Thus far, I have yet to find the alleged security problem they claimed, and it worked just fine.

The only difference between the instructions in the OP and what I did was I installed CM 7.1.0 (instead of 7.0). This includes reverting the phone's OS from 2.2 to 2.1. Otherwise, I followed each step in the order told to, and there have been zero problems! I now have 100% use of my 3G Slide (no thanks to HTC or TMO).

One note to pass along: If you unlocked your phone and are now with a different carrier, you will have to redo the steps for entering the Access Point Names. The installation reverts the phone back to TMO settings, and the phone won't work (except through wifi) until you do this.

I couldn't find the "thanks" button to thank the OP, so I will express it here. Thousands of us with these phones had huge problems with TMO's forced update to 2.2, in my case 90% of my attempts at outbound calls resulted in the phone rebooting (including several 911 calls). My phone now not only works as it should have, it works better!

Thanks again!

andrew.0114

Oct 13, 2011
hey i've downloaded all the files that are listed except for the Google Apps-......The page is not loading so that i can download the file.... is there another link that you can give ??

neltnerb

Apr 7, 2012
ADB Troubles

Thanks so much for this guide, I'm glad that it is working for so many people. Unfortunately, despite spending at least a solid 8 hours trying to make this work on my computer and phone I have been totally unsuccessful from square one.

I am using a T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide with recently factory reset 2.2.1 firmware.

I have at my disposal several SIM cards, a Windows 7 computer, an Ubuntu 10.10 computer, and an Ubuntu 11.10 computer.

On all three systems, I have followed the various instructions online and on this post to try to get ADB to recognize the phone. For Windows 7 I tried the instructions on this post. On my Ubuntu 11.10 computer, I tried the instructions here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19446284&postcount=62

and for my Ubuntu 10.10 computer, I tried the instructions here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=921169

However, on all three computers, I see very similar errors. When I run adb with the "devices" argument (i.e. by running the rooting software on the Windows computer as specified here, or by running ./adb devices on my linux computers), it returns:

--
$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

$
--

The same message is printed by the rooting software windows.

Now, this is not the permissions issue that everyone mentions. And the software is clearly running, but despite three different OS versions, all of them report the same thing. Nothing.

I did a lot of things to try to tease out why this problem is happening. On linux, I used lsusb to verify that it was attached (it was). I used dmesg to verify that it was detected (it was). I verified that debug mode was on the USB on the phone (it was). I turned off wifi and even 3g (didn't help). I made sure it was in charge-only mode (it was). I turned off the firewall (didn't change anything). I plugged into new USB ports (didn't help). I rewrote the rules files for udev several times and rebooted a few more (didn't help).

Nothing seems to make any difference, and since the problem is the same on windows 7 as it is on Ubuntu (at least from what I can tell), I have to assume it's the phone somehow.

Does anyone have any idea why this error might occur? I can't find it referenced anywhere, although it's kind of hard to search for a null return message. It's not even an error... just nothing returned. Very weird.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd be semi-eternally grateful (not sure about the afterlife, so no promises). I'm pretty computer literate (using linux after all, and have been for over a decade). I'm fairly confident that this is a communications level issue with the phone, and I can't find what is misconfigured or broken.

I wanted to post this to the person who put up the instructions for Ubuntu 11.10, but it seems that this is not allowed for noobs. Oh well, I'll assume that it will percolate up to her eventually.

Best,
Brian Neltner

largayiT

Aug 5, 2011
I would like to thank insanityrains for the instructions and files. I am running CM7 and its Android version 2.3.3 Gingerbread and space on my phone now.
Once Again Thanks very much for this.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

1. Download the files below

2. Copy "ESPRIMG.zip" to the root of your sd card on your phone

3. Extract "Super-Click 2.3.1" & "Mt3s Rooter" to their own folders on your computer

4. Navigate to settings on your phone. Select "Connect to Pc", choose "Charge Only"

5. Navigate to "Applications" then select "Devolpment" and make sure "USB Debugging" is on

6. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (Run .exe as Admin if your using Vista/Win7)

7. In SuperOneClick, select "Shell Root", wait for it to finish rooting

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
    You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

9. Once your phone is rebooted it should be in BOOTLOADER Mode. Press volume down to select fastboot (If it doesnt show fastboot then select Bootloader and it will then show the menu with fastboot).
    Once fastboot is highlighted, press the power button once.
    It will check for ESPRIMG.zip and should show a progress bar in the top right.
    After waiting a while it will ask you if you want to update, press volume up.
    When it is finished it will ask to reboot, press volume up to do so. (If phone says on Mytouch circle for too long just take out the battery and restart)
    If you want to put CM7 on your phone do instructions below.

Installing CM7 with Google Apps

1. Rename "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

3. Copy "Update" & "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" to the root of your phone

4. Turn your phone off. Once off press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

6. A Red Triangle screen will show. Press volume up and power, then select "Wipe data/factory reset" then done do the same with "Wipe cache partition

7. After all that you will select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

8. Select reboot system now

9. Once phone is restarted go into the app drawer and open ROM Manager.

10. Scroll down and select "Download Rom" then select install and then select the option it shows. It should say that Clockwork Mod installed.

11. Now select "Install Rom from SD Card" and select "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" and press OK twice.
    It will reboot and show it installing.
    Once done it will reboot again and your done. (Btw it will have you sign in and such)

DOWNLOAD THESE FILES:

SuperOneClick 2.3.1-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Mt3s Rooter-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/hn8tn6141
    or
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7yq3wo5yl3odz4k

HTC Espresso Stock Rom (ESPRIMG for 2.1 stock rom)-
    http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

CM7 Rom for Mytouch 3G Slide-
    http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip

Google Apps-
    http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MyTouch 3G Slide Drivers (These Might Help With Failed ADB Connectivity)
    http://secure.htc.com/US/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

I pieced this together so I don't take full cred. I know this works because I did it to my phone as I typed it :)
    If this works make sure to post it. Also remember to give thanks. This was not easy to figure out.
    one small hiccup

Used these instructions to root a friend's phone last night. There was one deviation we had to deal with:

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

While we could see the menu the phone only gave us the choice to run update (YES) or reboot (NO). Recovery was inaccessible. We ran the update (with the bootloader bypassed) then when asked to reboot we chose (NO) and then could select RECOVERY and follow the steps above.

Yes, we did repeat the UPDATE.ZIP process but this time it did not skip Bootloader. Soon CM7 was up and running.

Hope this helps and thanks for the great instructions.
    I cant flash update.zip it keeps saying cant mount sd and when i reboot it says i dont have an sd card:confused: i need help im stuck with 2.1 and cant load a rom
    Some sd cards work better than others. Sandisk with a little 4 work great. Try to reformat it with a pc and I think it needs to be Fat32

Didnt work for me.

superoneclick worked saying i had temporary adb root, then i would run mts rooter and it seems like that when the cmd prompt comes up that it doesnt work.

on the first part it said
    "cd: can't cd to /sqlite_stmt_journals"

then after I turn wifi on and the cmd prompt goes again I get:

"./exploid not found" and " secretlol not found"

any help?
    Your pc is not detecting your phone. Try installing HTC Sync from the Mytouch 3Gs support page. Also make sure to run it as an administrator while being logged in on a admin account
    Insanityrains: I have two stupid questions. Is there something I'm missing here? You don't have consecutive numbers for your instructions. Should I follow them in the order you have posted or in the order of the numbers?

Dumb question 2: Where is the download link for the ESPRIMG.zip file?

Thanks for your instructions! I hope it works for me.

UPDATE
    I followed the steps to the letter. It worked seamlessly. Thanks insanityrains for putting all this together and the developer who actually figured this out!! However, few things I had to learn by doing it over and over again:
    The first part worked awesome! (i.e. rooting and installing 2.1). It will keep saying there were errors and stuff but keep doing what insanityrains says to do.

The second part (installing CM7 with google apps was the hurdle for me): Follow his numbering in post #1 (once again, I'm refering to the second part) to understand what I'm saying below.

Before you begin, you don't need the ESPRIMG file anymore once you have rooted and installed 2.1 (the first part). So delete that file from the root of your SD card. By doing this, you can skip the annoying wait as it tries to reinstall 2.1 on your phone. Now for the two mistakes I did.

1. The first step was a silly mistake, but very much possible for someone to commit. Just rename the file "update" and dont add ".zip" like I did. Everytime I try installing the ROM it kept saying "cannot locate update.zip". I was scratching my head for a few times before I realized the mistake
    2. Step #5. It will search for the ESPRIMG file and it is not going to find that. Select "recovery" then

For noobs, dont freak out while doing it. It was scary for me to root the phone. But once I did it fine, it was fun!
    how do you achieve s-off though? does downgrading, also downgrade your bootloader?

the goldcard app is not working, the site is down to generate keys.

No goldcard needed and s-off has been shown to be possible just google it and add xda its here somewhere.

anybody even here anymore?

theres too many outdated rooting guides on here. i already know i cannot achieve s-off now that we accepted the OTA. i already tried to root and it went fine but the clockwork recovery will not work. also when i boot into the 2.1 rom that i downgraded to i see there is no superuser app but it appears i am rooted because most root apps work minus wireless tether. i just want root and to run a semi stock non cm7 type rooted rom. is this possible with s-on or not?

if so can someone point me in the right direction please?

Theirs no SUPERUSER program when putting on the 2.1 that's why its recommended to put on CM7 because it has everything you need to get full root. S-Off isn't root its just taking off security on things that if messed with could possibly brick your phone.