Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate: How to Root it.

Search This thread

Black-wolf

Mar 18, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.black-wolf.us
ALL:

It has been a long time since I posted to this thread. Back then, the Samsung Exhilarate had just come out, and there was no way to root it. Thanks to several other members, most notably j3r3goss and shabbypenguin, I was able to get root on this phone. As of now, this post is very old. The instructions here, are not needed for you to root your Samsung Exhilarate anymore. You are free to read through them, but you should pay attention to the last page (currently page 3). There, j3r3goss posted a link to the the TWRP or CWM recovery files, that you can now use to get root, without following the step-by-step instructions I posted below. I'm leaving the thread up, but for all intents and purposes, consider it closed.

Here's the link to the section you need in order to root your phone:

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=32520094

It has been fun, and I've been using my Exhilarate for nearly two years. Because I've been extremely busy, I haven't had time to keep up with the latest changes - but others have. I hope that you found these instructions useful.

In any case, take care and ROOT ON!

Everything past this point is old and no longer applicable
==========================================
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have UPDATED your phone to ICS, and want to root it, these instructions will work. You will not need to do the last part where you need to update the firmware keys!

Do you plan to update your phone from Gingerbread (Android 2.3) to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). Do that first! Otherwise, you'll just have to root again (not that that's a problem, but why???)

I) How to update to ICS:
1) Download Samsung Kies from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ if you haven't already, and install it, and then run it
2) Put your phone into ODIN (Download mode - see section II below).
3) When Kies detects you phone (your computer will need to install drivers, and then Kies will say it's connecting to your phone, and it will take about 3-4 minutes and finally connect to it), it should let you know that there is an update. Just follow the instructions on Kies and be patient. The phone will update, and once it reboots into normal mode, you'll know it's updated by going to "Settings" and if they are grouped into different sections, then you have ICS. Otherwise, you probably still have GB.

II) How to enter ODIN Mode:

For the Exhilarate I've found it's best to use this sequence:
1) Power phone down
2) Plug the USB cable into your computer (do not plug the phone into the USB cable yet).
3) While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, plug the phone into the computer. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash and then dissappear, release the buttons.
4) Phone should boot into ODIN mode.

III) How to Root

What you need:
1) Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate phone (unrooted)
2) microSD Card (any size of 1GB or larger will work)
3) USB cable to connect your phone to your computer
4) Files below

First, download all the files...
1) Download the latest version of ODIN here: ODIN.
2) Download the drivers here: Samsung Galaxy Drivers and run the setup program after unzipping.
3) Download the tar file here: www.Shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Blaze4G/Clockworkmod-Blaze-4G.tar Don't mess with it, just download it somewhere where you can find it later
4) Download SuperUser here: SuperUser Save it somewhere where you can find it later.

Second, conduct the root:
1) Put your phone into Odin (Download mode - see Section II above).
2) With phone in ODIN mode, run Odin.1.85.exe (it's in the folder where you unzipped ODIN too).
3) Odin will launch on your computer. It should show, in the first box under ID:COM, a port in yellow. Mine was Port 5. This means you have successfully connected to your phone.
4) Click the button in ODIN labeled "PDA", and then browse to the .tar file you downloaded above and then select "Open". The file will show up next to the PDA button.
5) Make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT checked!;
6) Click "Start" and wait till your phone reboots. It should reboot into normal mode. If it doesn't, just power down and reboot into normal mode.
7) Copy the SuperUser.zip file you downloaded above to your phones microSD card.
8) Reboot the phone into recovery mode: While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, push the power button. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash, release the buttons. You shouldn't need to have the phone connected to the computer this time. The phone will boot into CWM recovery.
9) using either: the "menu" button to move down and the "home" button to move your selection up; or alternately the volume down button to move down, and the volume up button to move up: highlight "install zip from sdcard". Use the "search" button or power button to select/enter.
10) highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the "seach" button to select it.
11) browse to the directory which you copied SuperUser to and select it.
12) scroll down to "Yes - Install Superuser" and select it.
13) Once done, reboot your phone into normal operating mode.
14) If rooting Gingerbread, see Section IV below.
15) If rooting either Gingerbread or ICS, see section V below.
16) If having issues with Root, see section VI below.

IV) Rooting Gingerbread?:
Last: Finish up (Steps 1-4 are ONLY needed if you are still using GingerBread and not Ice Cream Sandwich):
NOTE: Your buttons (the four at the bottom) WILL NOT work at this point. You need to do the following:

======
1) Push your phone dialer as if you were going to make a call.
2) Dial *#*#2663#*#*.
3) You will see the attached thumbnail below on your phone (stolen from j3r3goss).
4) press the bottom button that says "Touch key FW update". Wait. Once it's finished, your bottom row of buttons will work again!

Note: If you are on GB, and not ICS, every time you boot into recovery and then back into operational mode, you will need to do the four steps in this section above!
======

V) Using either GB or ICS:

You do need to do these last steps (I believe):
5) ADDENDUM/UPDATE: At this point, there is one last thing you need to do!: You must go to "Settings/Applications/Development" and Enable USB Debugging! If you don't do this, you will NOT be able to get root access! Also, if for any reason you turn off USB Debugging, make sure you turn it back on! If you lose root access, check this FIRST! If you still can't get root access, boot into recovery mode and wipe the Dalvik Cache, the regular Cache, and "Fix Permissions". Then double check to make sure USB Debugging is ENABLED!

6) You're done! Your phone is now rooted and you can do whatever you want! :highfive:

VI) TROUBLESHOOTING:
If you run into problems
1) Check to make sure that SuperUser is installed on your phone. Check the apps section first, and then, use RootExplorer and check the System/bin folder. If you see SuperUser is in the system/bin folder, then you are very close to being rooted.

If it is not installed:
a) make sure that you copied the superuser.zip file to the EXTERNAL sdcard.
i) Boot the phone up normally
ii) plug the phone into your computer, pull the notification bar down, select USB connection, and tap the "Connect USB storage" button.
iii) Using Winbloze explorer, copy the SuperUser.zip to the external sdCard (on my computer, it is drive F:, and the Internal is drive G:).
iv) disconnect once the copy is finished and use any file explorer on your phone to check the contents of the external sdCard (look in the "sdcard/external_sd" folder)
v) if it's not there, then you are doing something wrong. If it is there, shut down the phone, and boot into CWM recovery.
vi) Use CWM recovery to install the superuser.zip file on your phone.
vii) reboot into normal mode
viii) check to make sure that you have enabled USB Debugging
viii) check again to see if SuperUser is now in your apps, and in the system/bin folder.
ix) Run SuperUser 1x, and then close it out.
x) Run ANY app that requires Root Permissions. You should get a request from SuperUser to "Allow" or "Deny" the app root access. Make sure you allow root access. If you make a mistake, you'll need to launch superuser again and completely remove the app from the denied list.
2) Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
3) if you still can't get root, boot into CWM Recovery, and try clearing the cache and the Dalvik cache, and resetting permissions, then reboot and check everything again. You may need to do this last step several times.

Beyond that, I don't know what else might be causing you to not gain root access, so keep trying.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

V/R

BlackWolf

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,478
Last edited:

j3r3goss

Apr 11, 2011
Gladewater, TX
Thanks for the write-up Black-wolf.
I wasn't aware that the touch key fw needed to be updated each time after booting recovery,hopefully that is something that will be fixed when Shabbypenguin gets his hands on the stock recovery.
Personally I find the easiest, works every time method to get into Download mode is to have the usb cable plugged into the pc, then while holding the volume up/down buttons, plug the cable into the phone, continue holding vol up/down buttons until download mode boots.

Sent from my Liberty using xda premium

Last edited:

Black-wolf

Mar 18, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.black-wolf.us
Thanks for the write-up Black-wolf.
I wasn't aware that the touch key fw needed to be updated each time after booting recovery

Yeah, I figured that out when I went to boot recovery to check something, and then came out of it and the keys weren't working again... :/ At least there's a work around. I suspect, that this is something that an automated app could handle if Shabby or someone else doesn't come up with a permanent fix.

V/R

BlackWolf

Dream_Killer

Aug 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Any update on getting the stock recovery? I blew through rooting my Exhilarate before I noticed the request for help or I would have offered.

The root seems to be working OK for me. JuiceDefender is working great with it to throttle the CPU clock speeds and has really improved my battery life. Also worked OK in blocking all the bloatware apps with the Gemini App Manager. So I don't really have a reason to unroot and go back to stock firmware, but it would be nice to have the option available should I ever hit a problem.

Thanks for all you guys hard work!
DK

Black-wolf

Mar 18, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.black-wolf.us
Any update on getting the stock recovery? I blew through rooting my Exhilarate before I noticed the request for help or I would have offered.

The root seems to be working OK for me. JuiceDefender is working great with it to throttle the CPU clock speeds and has really improved my battery life. Also worked OK in blocking all the bloatware apps with the Gemini App Manager. So I don't really have a reason to unroot and go back to stock firmware, but it would be nice to have the option available should I ever hit a problem.

Thanks for all you guys hard work!
DK

I just needed this tutorial!, Good job.

Thanks!

Dream_Killer: No, we have not gotten a stock recovery. I've had several inquiries into it, but so far as I know, Shabby has not been able to help out in this regard. I am willing to try myself, but I'll need an un-rooted (and it must never have been rooted) phone.

domobile: Glad it worked for you.

V/R

BlackWolf

ChefAnt

Mar 26, 2012
Milwaukee
Dream_Killer: No, we have not gotten a stock recovery. I've had several inquiries into it, but so far as I know, Shabby has not been able to help out in this regard. I am willing to try myself, but I'll need an un-rooted (and it must never have been rooted) phone.

domobile: Glad it worked for you.

V/R

BlackWolf

To get into stock recovery you...
1. open a command terminal on your computer.
2. type cd (where ever you have your ADB located on your computer) for example my is located in desktop/platform-tools so the command would be "cd desktop/platform-tools"
3. type "adb"
4. type "adb reboot recovery"

Presto you are in stock recovery.

j3r3goss

Apr 11, 2011
Gladewater, TX
To get into stock recovery you...
1. open a command terminal on your computer.
2. type cd (where ever you have your ADB located on your computer) for example my is located in desktop/platform-tools so the command would be "cd desktop/platform-tools"
3. type "adb"
4. type "adb reboot recovery"

Presto you are in stock recovery.

We know how to boot into the stock recovery. What we need is to pull the stock recovery image off of the phone so that we can restore the phone to stock.
Btw.. pressing both volume keys while turning on the phone will get you there also.

harley1rocker

Jan 29, 2012
jemison
I rooted the exhilarate. Loaded the t mobile blaze cm7 rom. And all works like a charm. The only thing is you can't make a call. You can,you just can't hear. I called my other phone and it went through. The speaker doesn't work. Mms and all works. Just not the speaker...... why? This wud. Be a awsome rom for this phone.. think we can find a fix?

j3r3goss

Apr 11, 2011
Gladewater, TX
I rooted the exhilarate. Loaded the t mobile blaze cm7 rom. And all works like a charm. The only thing is you can't make a call. You can,you just can't hear. I called my other phone and it went through. The speaker doesn't work. Mms and all works. Just not the speaker...... why? This wud. Be a awsome rom for this phone.. think we can find a fix?

I'm not exactly sure but it might be just as simple as replacing the audio libs on the blaze rom with the ones from the exhilarate. I'm not sure which files though.

I'm curious if by coming together (blaze and exhilarate users) if there would be enough interest to get official cm support. if the only major diff is audio they could basically support 2 devices for the price of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using xda premium

Last edited:

harley1rocker

Jan 29, 2012
jemison
If i knew/or had the kno how,shoot id do it. Is there a program u need to change the libs?. This is a pretty sweet device.

j3r3goss

Apr 11, 2011
Gladewater, TX
i think you just need root explorer, and copy the new ones over the old ones. I'll look to see if i can find out which files need swapped. Should be able to make a zip to flash through CWM recovery.

harley1rocker

Jan 29, 2012
jemison
Man,im good at alotta things,buildin houses,workin on diesels,and flashin roms to my s3 and note,what i cant figure out is building roms. Im sure gettin this speaker workin has somthin 2 do with dismantling blaze cm7 rom and find the fix.

Another words,im good,but not that good. If som1 held my hand thru it,i cud do it. Or just show me

Black-wolf

Mar 18, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.black-wolf.us
NFC for Exhilarate!

All: rodracruz found a thread for enabling NFC on AT&T phones. Apparently, the Samsung Exhilarate does have NFC - but why the hell AT&T has it disabled, I have not idea... In any case, check out this thread and follow the instructions to enable it on your phone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1545751

There are even links as to some of the things you can do with NFC.

V/R

BlackWolf

Reactions: j3r3goss

j3r3goss

Apr 11, 2011
Gladewater, TX
All: rodracruz found a thread for enabling NFC on AT&T phones. Apparently, the Samsung Exhilarate does have NFC - but why the hell AT&T has it disabled, I have not idea... In any case, check out this thread and follow the instructions to enable it on your phone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1545751

V/R

BlackWolf

Sweet, I was wondering, especially since this phone was released after the skyrocket.

ChefAnt

Mar 26, 2012
Milwaukee
I'm not exactly sure but it might be just as simple as replacing the audio libs on the blaze rom with the ones from the exhilarate. I'm not sure which files though.

I'm curious if by coming together (blaze and exhilarate users) if there would be enough interest to get official cm support. if the only major diff is audio they could basically support 2 devices for the price of one.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have anything to do with the audio lib files. More so most likely a kernel, modem, or APN problem.

Edit: not to mention the build.prop is completely written for the blaze. I'm working on some things. I'll let you guys know tonight. I wish there was source for this damn phone.

Last edited:

Black-wolf

Mar 18, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.black-wolf.us
ChefAnt: There is a stock file from Samsung... read my post (about 2/3 of the way down):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828426

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have anything to do with the audio lib files. More so most likely a kernel, modem, or APN problem.

Edit: not to mention the build.prop is completely written for the blaze. I'm working on some things. I'll let you guys know tonight. I wish there was source for this damn phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL:

It has been a long time since I posted to this thread. Back then, the Samsung Exhilarate had just come out, and there was no way to root it. Thanks to several other members, most notably j3r3goss and shabbypenguin, I was able to get root on this phone. As of now, this post is very old. The instructions here, are not needed for you to root your Samsung Exhilarate anymore. You are free to read through them, but you should pay attention to the last page (currently page 3). There, j3r3goss posted a link to the the TWRP or CWM recovery files, that you can now use to get root, without following the step-by-step instructions I posted below. I'm leaving the thread up, but for all intents and purposes, consider it closed.

Here's the link to the section you need in order to root your phone:

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=32520094

It has been fun, and I've been using my Exhilarate for nearly two years. Because I've been extremely busy, I haven't had time to keep up with the latest changes - but others have. I hope that you found these instructions useful.

In any case, take care and ROOT ON!

Everything past this point is old and no longer applicable
    ==========================================
    IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have UPDATED your phone to ICS, and want to root it, these instructions will work. You will not need to do the last part where you need to update the firmware keys!

Do you plan to update your phone from Gingerbread (Android 2.3) to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). Do that first! Otherwise, you'll just have to root again (not that that's a problem, but why???)

I) How to update to ICS:
    1) Download Samsung Kies from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ if you haven't already, and install it, and then run it
    2) Put your phone into ODIN (Download mode - see section II below).
    3) When Kies detects you phone (your computer will need to install drivers, and then Kies will say it's connecting to your phone, and it will take about 3-4 minutes and finally connect to it), it should let you know that there is an update. Just follow the instructions on Kies and be patient. The phone will update, and once it reboots into normal mode, you'll know it's updated by going to "Settings" and if they are grouped into different sections, then you have ICS. Otherwise, you probably still have GB.

II) How to enter ODIN Mode:

For the Exhilarate I've found it's best to use this sequence:
    1) Power phone down
    2) Plug the USB cable into your computer (do not plug the phone into the USB cable yet).
    3) While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, plug the phone into the computer. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash and then dissappear, release the buttons.
    4) Phone should boot into ODIN mode.

III) How to Root

What you need:
    1) Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate phone (unrooted)
    2) microSD Card (any size of 1GB or larger will work)
    3) USB cable to connect your phone to your computer
    4) Files below

First, download all the files...
    1) Download the latest version of ODIN here: ODIN.
    2) Download the drivers here: Samsung Galaxy Drivers and run the setup program after unzipping.
    3) Download the tar file here: www.Shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Blaze4G/Clockworkmod-Blaze-4G.tar Don't mess with it, just download it somewhere where you can find it later
    4) Download SuperUser here: SuperUser Save it somewhere where you can find it later.

Second, conduct the root:
    1) Put your phone into Odin (Download mode - see Section II above).
    2) With phone in ODIN mode, run Odin.1.85.exe (it's in the folder where you unzipped ODIN too).
    3) Odin will launch on your computer. It should show, in the first box under ID:COM, a port in yellow. Mine was Port 5. This means you have successfully connected to your phone.
    4) Click the button in ODIN labeled "PDA", and then browse to the .tar file you downloaded above and then select "Open". The file will show up next to the PDA button.
    5) Make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT checked!;
    6) Click "Start" and wait till your phone reboots. It should reboot into normal mode. If it doesn't, just power down and reboot into normal mode.
    7) Copy the SuperUser.zip file you downloaded above to your phones microSD card.
    8) Reboot the phone into recovery mode: While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, push the power button. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash, release the buttons. You shouldn't need to have the phone connected to the computer this time. The phone will boot into CWM recovery.
    9) using either: the "menu" button to move down and the "home" button to move your selection up; or alternately the volume down button to move down, and the volume up button to move up: highlight "install zip from sdcard". Use the "search" button or power button to select/enter.
    10) highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the "seach" button to select it.
    11) browse to the directory which you copied SuperUser to and select it.
    12) scroll down to "Yes - Install Superuser" and select it.
    13) Once done, reboot your phone into normal operating mode.
    14) If rooting Gingerbread, see Section IV below.
    15) If rooting either Gingerbread or ICS, see section V below.
    16) If having issues with Root, see section VI below.

IV) Rooting Gingerbread?:
    Last: Finish up (Steps 1-4 are ONLY needed if you are still using GingerBread and not Ice Cream Sandwich):
    NOTE: Your buttons (the four at the bottom) WILL NOT work at this point. You need to do the following:

======
    1) Push your phone dialer as if you were going to make a call.
    2) Dial *#*#2663#*#*.
    3) You will see the attached thumbnail below on your phone (stolen from j3r3goss).
    4) press the bottom button that says "Touch key FW update". Wait. Once it's finished, your bottom row of buttons will work again!

Note: If you are on GB, and not ICS, every time you boot into recovery and then back into operational mode, you will need to do the four steps in this section above!
    ======

V) Using either GB or ICS:

You do need to do these last steps (I believe):
    5) ADDENDUM/UPDATE: At this point, there is one last thing you need to do!: You must go to "Settings/Applications/Development" and Enable USB Debugging! If you don't do this, you will NOT be able to get root access! Also, if for any reason you turn off USB Debugging, make sure you turn it back on! If you lose root access, check this FIRST! If you still can't get root access, boot into recovery mode and wipe the Dalvik Cache, the regular Cache, and "Fix Permissions". Then double check to make sure USB Debugging is ENABLED!

6) You're done! Your phone is now rooted and you can do whatever you want! :highfive:

VI) TROUBLESHOOTING:
    If you run into problems
    1) Check to make sure that SuperUser is installed on your phone. Check the apps section first, and then, use RootExplorer and check the System/bin folder. If you see SuperUser is in the system/bin folder, then you are very close to being rooted.

If it is not installed:
    a) make sure that you copied the superuser.zip file to the EXTERNAL sdcard.
    i) Boot the phone up normally
    ii) plug the phone into your computer, pull the notification bar down, select USB connection, and tap the "Connect USB storage" button.
    iii) Using Winbloze explorer, copy the SuperUser.zip to the external sdCard (on my computer, it is drive F:, and the Internal is drive G:).
    iv) disconnect once the copy is finished and use any file explorer on your phone to check the contents of the external sdCard (look in the "sdcard/external_sd" folder)
    v) if it's not there, then you are doing something wrong. If it is there, shut down the phone, and boot into CWM recovery.
    vi) Use CWM recovery to install the superuser.zip file on your phone.
    vii) reboot into normal mode
    viii) check to make sure that you have enabled USB Debugging
    viii) check again to see if SuperUser is now in your apps, and in the system/bin folder.
    ix) Run SuperUser 1x, and then close it out.
    x) Run ANY app that requires Root Permissions. You should get a request from SuperUser to "Allow" or "Deny" the app root access. Make sure you allow root access. If you make a mistake, you'll need to launch superuser again and completely remove the app from the denied list.
    2) Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
    3) if you still can't get root, boot into CWM Recovery, and try clearing the cache and the Dalvik cache, and resetting permissions, then reboot and check everything again. You may need to do this last step several times.

Beyond that, I don't know what else might be causing you to not gain root access, so keep trying.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

V/R

BlackWolf
    Thanks but are you sure who does it work?? I tried it and it does not work

It works via Kies and I managed to capture the tar. It's uploading now, will post link shortly.

Might be a bit until the upload is complete, but here is the link.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98336671/I577UCLH3_I577ATTLH3_I577UCLH3_HOME.tar.md5

Root procedure is the same for this update with the added bonus of not having to restore the touch key firmware each time you boot into CWM Recovery. It detects and updates it automatically.
    You are correct

I think there's a little more to it than that. The skyrocket radio seems to fix the silent call issue on most Roms, even stock ICS. I am still running stock rooted ICS and had silent calls (when dialing out, nothing would happen ) about 1 in 10 called. Since flashing the skyrocket radio, haven't had a one in almost two weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks Dream....Ok...The skyrocket radios are seeming to fix the silent calls issue on all roms (ICS and above). Everyone who is using them is reporting better signal and less silent calls issue on cm based roms which is a known bug for some of us on custom roms. It wouldnt hurt for anyone or everyone to flash them.if yourhaving call issues try that idea..Hope that helps..
    NFC for Exhilarate!

V/R

BlackWolf
    The tar file link seems to be bad. Any other options out there?

Here is the newest version of cwm for the Exhilarate.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2462028

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app