[TUT] Rooting HTC Flyer on HoneyComb HBoot 1.11.0011

Search This thread

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011
I wasn't able to post this anywhere else.

So this is a guide to rooting the HTC Flyer on HBoot 1.11.0011

This is pretty much things I done from several guides to get CWM to work properly and to get Super User installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALL THESE FILES
Fastboot Drivers
Super User Files
Android SDK

TO ENTER BOOTLOADER HOLD
VOLUME DOWN THEN PRESS THE POWER BUTTON!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP ONE​
The first thing you need to do is head over to the HTC Unlock Site

Once there signup and then follow the instructions to unlocking

I'm not sure how to tell if your model is WWE or TUR but I used WWE

It will guide you through the steps to unlock the bootloader once done proceed below

STEP TWO​
Make sure to disable fastboot and activate USB Debugging just like you did on the HTC Unlock website

When you unlocked it through the website it reset these settings so you MUST change them back.

Make sure that the CWM image you download at the start of the thread below is placed in the C:\android\ folder you made

when unlocking the bootloader, do not delete this folder in case you need it in the future.

Now follow this guide and be sure to download the HoneyComb file: THREAD IS HERE

You can skip the first step there "adb reboot bootloader"

STEP THREE​
Connect your HTC Flyer to your computer and move the SU.zip file across to the root of your SD (doesn't matter where just easier to access)

Now you need to start up the bootloader again, this time you will navigate to "Recovery" and press the power button to accept.

Using CWM choose "install .zip from sdcard" and navigate to your SU.zip file then install it

STEP FOUR​
Now if you followed this properly you should just need to reboot your device and you will be rooted.

2i0gi34.png

If you find this hard to follow please say and I'll clean it up a bit.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Just follow this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1194709

Basically, you need to achieve S-Off using a tool called Revolutionary. Once you have S-off, you can just install a custom recovery (Clockworkmod) and flash SuperUser from CWM to get root. It seems like a lot of steps, but they are all easy to do, and Revolutionary does most of the work for you.

I think the only thing you really need to know that isn't spelled out in that guide, is to verify the hboot is one of the ones listed.

To find your hboot version, power off the Flyer. Once powered off, hold down the volume down rocker. Press power button for a few seconds, release power, but don't release the volume down rocker until the hboot screen comes up (which screen with a bunch of text at the top). This screen will tell you your hboot version.

Before you do this, make sure "fast boot" is not checked in Settings>Power.

Last edited:

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011

Basically, you need to achieve S-Off using a tool called Revolutionary. Once you have S-off, you can just install a custom recovery (Clockworkmod) and flash SuperUser from CWM to get root. It seems like a lot of steps, but they are all easy to do, and Revolutionary does most of the work for you.

I think the only thing you really need to know that isn't spelled out in that guide, is to verify the hboot is one of the ones listed.

To find your hboot version, power off the Flyer. Once powered off, hold down the volume down rocker. Press power button for a few seconds, release power, but don't release the volume down rocker until the hboot screen comes up (which screen with a bunch of text at the top). This screen will tell you your hboot version.

Followed the guide easily but seems I can't root at the moment, running HBoot 1.11.0011

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Followed the guide easily but seems I can't root at the moment, running HBoot 1.11.0011

I'm not sure what the deal is with hboots that are not listed as compatible. Since mine was one of the listed hboots, I didn't bother to follow that issue. I know there are other folks that have incompatible hboot versons that asked how to get S-Off. You might read through the thread, and see if there is some workaround or solution for you.

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011
I'm not sure what the deal is with hboots that are not listed as compatible. Since mine was one of the listed hboots, I didn't bother to follow that issue. I know there are other folks that have incompatible hboot versons that asked how to get S-Off. You might read through the thread, and see if there is some workaround or solution for you.

Well I tried to search and didn't find much, I heard about downgrading but it seems like a long process. I used the HTC Unlock site to unlock the bootloader in hope that it makes it easier to root. So I'll search a bit. Thanks for the help.

quails

Oct 27, 2010
Well I tried to search and didn't find much, I heard about downgrading but it seems like a long process. I used the HTC Unlock site to unlock the bootloader in hope that it makes it easier to root. So I'll search a bit. Thanks for the help.

Please make a few notes - there are others for sure who would value it.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Isn't that thread for GB only, how about Honeycomb, I'd also like to root mine but the instructions all seem to run to many contradicting pages and not be written for what I want to do, which is strange as its the first step that everyone must do.

The S-Off method only works for GB, so you need to downgrade if you are on HC.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I used the HTC Unlock site to unlock the bootloader in hope that it makes it easier to root.

If you unlocked the bootloader, you should now be able to install CWM over fastboot, than in CWM flash SU to get root, all as described in the S-Off thread.

That's probably a really easy way, if you just want root, and the S-Off method doesn't work for your hboot version!. Forgot all about unlocking the bootloader. Official bootloader unlock came so much later than S-Off (and I never had to do the BL unlock) so I often forget about that.

The only thing with the bootloader unlock, I think you cannot flash kernels or radios through recovery. If you want to flash ROMs, you have to pull the boot.img (kernel) from the zip, and flash it manually through adb.

Also of course, your warranty (if you had one) may be voided by unlocking the bootloader the "official" way.

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011
The S-Off method only works for GB, so you need to downgrade if you are on HC.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

If you unlocked the bootloader, you should now be able to install CWM over fastboot, than in CWM flash SU to get root, all as described in the S-Off thread.

That's probably a really easy way, if you just want root, and the S-Off method doesn't work for your hboot version!. Forgot all about unlocking the bootloader. Official bootloader unlock came so much later than S-Off (and I never had to do the BL unlock) so I often forget about that.

The only thing with the bootloader unlock, I think you cannot flash kernels or radios through recovery. If you want to flash ROMs, you have to pull the boot.img (kernel) from the zip, and flash it manually through adb.

Also of course, your warranty (if you had one) may be voided by unlocking the bootloader the "official" way.

I already unlocked it and voided the warranty anyway so I went ahead and read that guide again, flashed over CWM and downloaded the SU file just having a slight problem now. When I start up holding Volume Down and then choose recovery it's either taking a very long time or it's stuck on the HTC logo. I can get out of it by holding down the Power Button though...

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Hmmm. Maybe try to download CWM and push it again. Hopefully just a corrupt download, or a bad flash that will be easily fixed this way.

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011
Hmmm. Maybe try to download CWM and push it again. Hopefully just a corrupt download, or a bad flash that will be easily fixed this way.

Not sure if it's going to budge, as far as I know CWM is custom to each device from what I'm reading and I just can't find one that is for HTC Flyer the only one floating around is the one used in the guides.

I just flashed a Wildfire CWM over and I just noticed something, when the HTC Bootloader does a check (Orange writing flashes real quick) it says there are a few files missing I can't make out the full name but the first is something like " PG41DIAG.zip" this might be the problem.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I meant to say "try to re-download CWM". Downloads get corrupted sometimes. Or do a checksum to make sure the file is ok.

You can try this one too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775840

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

as far as I know CWM is custom to each device from what I'm reading and I just can't find one that is for HTC Flyer the only one floating around is the one used in the guides.

Not completely sure about this, but I don't think the CWM team (Koush, etc.) officially supported the Flyer, and it was ported by the Revolutionary team. In any case, I think they did a good job, as I don't remember anyone having any significant issues with the Revolutionary version of CWM.

Also, don't flash versions of CWM meant for other devices. It won't work, and it might brick the device. For instance, I've seen people brick due to flashing the wrong recovery, since the partitioning was different, and hboot got over-written.

Last edited:

quails

Oct 27, 2010
Notes about what? The HTC Unlock site is pretty self explanatory if you just Google it. Other than that I haven't found squat, too many pages telling me to do different things.

Notes on how to actually go from a standard Honeycomb Flyer to a Flyer running stock Honeycomb but with root access !

quails

Oct 27, 2010
Its already being discussed in this thread. What more do you want?

Just a few consolidated notes on how its done, when the OP has achieved root, there is lots of information on the forum but spread accross a great many threads, it would be of great benefit to noob's who just want to root so they can install specifc apps if we can end up with a step by step sequence that can be made sticky.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Just a few consolidated notes on how its done, when the OP has achieved root, there is lots of information on the forum but spread accross a great many threads, it would be of great benefit to noob's who just want to root so they can install specifc apps if we can end up with a step by step sequence that can be made sticky.

Unfortunately, unless someone takes up the cause, and dedicates the time and effort to post such a guide, getting things done often falls on the individual user to read the various threads, distill the information on their own. And of course, you can always come on here and ask, if you have specific questions.

Also, its unfortunately late enough in this device's life cycle that its unlikely that someone is going to see enough need for such a guide, to take the time to write one. Nobody even bothered to write a bootloader unlock to root guide, in the days when the Flyer forum was much more active.

If its full S-Off you want I would recommend globatron's guide, which has already been discussed and linked on this thread. Its pretty step-by-step. And whatever isn't clearly spelled out, is easily answered by doing an XDA search, or Google. Or you can come back on here and ask, if you are really stuck.

Reactions: BLADE25233

19JaKeB91

Aug 26, 2011

Don't worry, if I find out how to do this I'll post it in the very first post of this thread so you can do the same. At the moment though the only thing stopping me is CWM not working and being stuck at the HTC screen.

If its full S-Off you want I would recommend globatron's guide, which has already been discussed and linked on this thread. Its pretty step-by-step. And whatever isn't clearly spelled out, is easily answered by doing an XDA search, or Google. Or you can come back on here and ask, if you are really stuck.

I tried to re-download and flash but no luck, I've tried a few different CWM versions from old to new but I always freeze at the HTC logo after selecting recovery in the bootloader. It's the only thing that's stopping me so far, so I have no idea.

---------

EDIT

Managed to root, took some time I tried doing a friends HTC Flyer though and he gets a (bad) sign on CWM from the su.zip so I'll figure that out for the main page. A guide on what to do is in the first post.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wasn't able to post this anywhere else.

So this is a guide to rooting the HTC Flyer on HBoot 1.11.0011

This is pretty much things I done from several guides to get CWM to work properly and to get Super User installed.

INSTALL THESE FILES
    Fastboot Drivers
    Super User Files
    Android SDK

TO ENTER BOOTLOADER HOLD
    VOLUME DOWN THEN PRESS THE POWER BUTTON!

STEP ONE​
    The first thing you need to do is head over to the HTC Unlock Site

Once there signup and then follow the instructions to unlocking

I'm not sure how to tell if your model is WWE or TUR but I used WWE

It will guide you through the steps to unlock the bootloader once done proceed below

STEP TWO​
    Make sure to disable fastboot and activate USB Debugging just like you did on the HTC Unlock website

When you unlocked it through the website it reset these settings so you MUST change them back.

Make sure that the CWM image you download at the start of the thread below is placed in the C:\android\ folder you made

when unlocking the bootloader, do not delete this folder in case you need it in the future.

Now follow this guide and be sure to download the HoneyComb file: THREAD IS HERE

You can skip the first step there "adb reboot bootloader"

STEP THREE​
    Connect your HTC Flyer to your computer and move the SU.zip file across to the root of your SD (doesn't matter where just easier to access)

Now you need to start up the bootloader again, this time you will navigate to "Recovery" and press the power button to accept.

Using CWM choose "install .zip from sdcard" and navigate to your SU.zip file then install it

STEP FOUR​
    Now if you followed this properly you should just need to reboot your device and you will be rooted.

2i0gi34.png

If you find this hard to follow please say and I'll clean it up a bit.

Unfortunately, unless someone takes up the cause, and dedicates the time and effort to post such a guide, getting things done often falls on the individual user to read the various threads, distill the information on their own. And of course, you can always come on here and ask, if you have specific questions.

Also, its unfortunately late enough in this device's life cycle that its unlikely that someone is going to see enough need for such a guide, to take the time to write one. Nobody even bothered to write a bootloader unlock to root guide, in the days when the Flyer forum was much more active.

Thank you for sharing :)