[Ultimate Guide] Installing / Rooting / Self-Customizing Stock Rom 4.2.2 / 1 [13/08]

Search This thread

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
To Being with Lets make this guide in three sections

[Post 1] General Instructions
[Post 2] Installing Stock Rom 4.2.2
[Post 3] Rooting Your Device
[Post 4] Customize your ROM as per your wish

General Instructions

Introduction
Rooting your new purchased android device is leg shaking... Main reasons of rooting is to remove bloatwares, gain power of your own device with full potential, install root application and of course Custom Roms. Flashing with custom images will increase your flash bin counter and this breaks your warranty. So people avoid rooting but thanks to chainfire, reset of this counter is made easy as having nuts...
Before moving ahead let me explain what’s rooting...
Rooting your android device simply means you are enabling administrator rights for yourself!! To be more precise unrooted device restrict user and we use our phone as a guest account like in windows OS.

Warnings:
This ROOTING Steps are foolproof but Rooting means you are playing with systems, so please don't try if you don't know what you are doing...Hence it can brick your device (DEAD) and make it useless... So read the steps completely before proceeding..
Rooting is for your fun not for any legal issues viz, piracy.
Charge your phone well before proceeding.

Last edited:

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
Installing Stock Rom [e.g. 4.2.2]

Requirements
1. A well charged Galaxy Grand
2. A computer
3. A USB cord (better one, not that Samsung. Its dam slow. But if you can work with it than no problem. But I personally hate it. I use BlackBerry cord)
4. [ROM flasher] Odin from here
5. And download rom, currently get 4.2.2 it from -

For ROM with one file, Use PDA button and add that file!!

Edited: flash official rom and wipe everything in recovery after flashing.

Hotfiles Courtesy @sammobile
Filecloud Courtesy @danierakes

For latest ROM mirror - here. Courtesy @BEingNiCK

Note: If another update comes than find it here Samsung Updates

So seems you have all 5 required items,
Let’s Begin,

Steps to Installing Stock Rom

Step 1. Switch-off you device and sleep... Lol, kidding... Turn off the device.
Step 2. Enter into the download mode [Volume down + power button + home button (Together, at same time)] release these buttons when logo GT-i9082 appears
Step 3. Start Odin software on your pc
Step 4. Connect your device to pc with the USB cord. (Make sure these settings are ticked, if properly connected...#: [Com#] will get activated.)

So now you need to select proper and specific files into Odin (Stock rom files) please look the image well before flashing...
Here it is for your convenience, look at the colours.

Odin button ----- File Name

PDA ----- CODE_I9082XXXXXXXXXXXXX.tar.md5

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/...ms-using-odin-for-windowsw654_zps646eb37a.jpg

Once all the files are set than click start... wait till the Odin status says PASS

You are done!!

Congratulations... You successfully flashed you device.

If you want to root than GOTO [Post 3] Rooting Your Device

Last edited:

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
Rooting Your Device

Rooting Your Device

Alternatively, You can use Custom roms by @balliboxer, @k2wl, @adityaf..... which can be found in Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 Android Development

Requirements [CWM]

1. A sufficiently charged Galaxy Grand
2. A computer
3. A USB cord (better one, not that Samsung. Its dam slow. But if you can work with it than no problem. But I personally hate it. I use BlackBerry cord)
5. And download CWM from pawitp or by @Mohanshbhr or you can follow method by @chotu222
6. Download SuperSU (place this file in your memory card) from here by the God of Rooting @Chainfire

Steps

Step 2. Enter into the Download Mode [Volume down Button+ power button + home button (Together, at same time)] release these buttons when logo GT-i9082 appears
Step 4. Connect your device to pc with the USB cord. (Make sure these settings are ticked, if properly connected...#: [Com#] will get activated.)

Look at the image and flash your CWM.

root-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-and-flash-stock-roms-using-odin-for-windowsw654_zps646eb37a.jpg

Unplug the USB cord only after the ODIN status SHOWS PASS Status (Very Important)

Congratulations... you have a cwm recovery... It’s a GATE to flash your SuperSU.

Step 2. Turn-off your device and Enter into the CWM Recovery Mode [Volume UP Button+ power button + home button (Together, at same time)]
This is how CWM looks like

lafoto_zpsa45eddd0.jpg

So now it’s time for flashing SuperSU Zip file which you downloaded from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Now select options as the image;
SuperSU_zps708623e4.png

Reboot the device and you will gave SuperSU app, test it by root checker app (from playstore) if you want to test.
Congratulations... You rooted your device successfully...

If you want to customize than Go to [Post 4] customize your ROM as per your wish

Last edited:

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
Customize your ROM as per your wish

Here, the important app is Titanium Backup, which will help you to remove unwanted apps pushed by Samsung.

Be careful, follow this thread http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39395506&postcount=604 and remove unwanted apps.

So now your phone is having more RAM, more battery life and lag-free like other custom roms. zipaligned, deodex is for saving space in our device and for themes.As I observed, some people don't trust custom ROM and they want safety over theme and other Custom rom benefits. So guys its your own ROM! Enjoy!

The Ultimate customizer!!

Wanam Xposed

Description
NOTE:
- It Requires Root Access
- It Requires Xposed Framework: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

DOWNLOAD HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s your own customized ROM, Again congratulations...
For more browser through following threads, these are for 4.2.2. Where as for 4.2.1, there are many threads here...

[App/Port][MOD] Xperia Home 5.0 Launcher for Galaxy Grand

Xperia Z keyboard for grand [All Roms]

[Tutorial] [DPI] How I made my Grand Duos look Awesome than any other Grand Device

[APP][PHOTOSPHERE WORKING ON 4.2.2]New Android 4.3 camera and gallery app

[GUIDE][MOD][GT-i9082/L]_OPTIMIZE DPI 5''_UP 6.6.2013(2 pictures:notifications)

Last edited:

bongski55

Jan 14, 2011
May I add.....
Instead of installing super su, one can proceed and flash Balliboxer 4.2.2 rom thru cwm. That way you get root plus zipaligned, deodex or odex.

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
May I add.....
Instead of installing super su, one can proceed and flash Balliboxer 4.2.2 rom thru cwm. That way you get root plus zipaligned, deodex or odex.

Yes that's good option, but is for self-customized ROM. Few of my friends Questioned me that they dont trust Customized ROMs. People who dont trust custom ROM can finally customize as per their need.

Last edited:
Reactions: keshavt and hiiva1

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
Nice thread, it will help beginners a lot.
But the link you gave that tells which apps can be removed is not very accurate, there are actually many other apps that can be removed safely.
I had made a post about it, but it was for 4.1.2.
Check it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39395506

It should be more or less the same for 4.2.2 but anyway, as soon as I get 4.2.2 I'll make a new post about safe to remove apps. For now I wait for a better version, cuz the current one seems to be full of bugs and many people are disappointed with it to the extent that they downgrade back to 4.1.2...
With all those apps removed when I start my phone I have like 160 mb RAM consumption, and now that I'm using it I just checked, I have 213 mb only...

Reactions: DBZo07

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
Nice thread, it will help beginners a lot.
But the link you gave that tells which apps can be removed is not very accurate, there are actually many other apps that can be removed safely.
I had made a post about it, but it was for 4.1.2.
Check it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39395506

It should be more or less the same for 4.2.2 but anyway, as soon as I get 4.2.2 I'll make a new post about safe to remove apps. For now I wait for a better version, cuz the current one seems to be full of bugs and many people are disappointed with it to the extent that they downgrade back to 4.1.2...
With all those apps removed when I start my phone I have like 160 mb RAM consumption, and now that I'm using it I just checked, I have 213 mb only...

Post linked. Please share your list for 4.2.2 too.
Thanks.

Reactions: hiiva1

DBZo07

Feb 2, 2011
MUMBAI
Just a query sir? can this also be applied to I9082L? :confused:

Yes. If u have right files for your device.
This guide will remains same for almost all the Samsung device, provided that you have appropriate files for stock rom and cwm for that device.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

howi_89

Mar 16, 2009
Yes. If u have right files for your device.
This guide will remains same for almost all the Samsung device, provided that you have appropriate files for stock rom and cwm for that device.

got it sir... what I mean to say is the ROM that I have downloaded from the link u gave... can I use that? im here in the Philippines.. tnx!

guims78

Oct 15, 2007
is this update ok for European phone

Requirements
2. A computer

For mirror get it here. Courtesy @BEingNiCK

Let’s Begin,

Step 2. Enter into the download mode [Volume down + power button + home button (Together, at same time)] release these buttons when logo GT-i9082 appears

So now you need to select proper and specific files into Odin (Stock rom files) please look the image well before flashing...

Capture_zpse4b70a54.png

Once all the files are set than click start... wait till the Odin status says PASS

You are done!!

Yhe question is in the titlle :
Ok for european phone ?

fageria

Dec 6, 2012
Jaipur
jobfreealerts.com
PROBLEM in 4.2.2 ROM

Hello everybody,
I am facing some problems after installing ROM 4.2.2
1. Proximate sensor is not working for call. (as i take the phone to my ear it is not calling to the contact.)
2. Contact display is not correct. eg. When i type "Ra" then i got 6 contacts like : Rahul, Rahul, Rahul (SIM), Raj, Raj (SIM), Rajesh.
Now when I choose the contact "Rahul (SIM) then it is not Rahul it is Raj. :confused: :crying:

All contact are displaying like this.

3. When i got new sms then it shows only new sms received. Not showing the name of sender... :crying:

Help me frnds.... plzzzz

BEingNiCK

Jun 15, 2013
Aurangabad
Hello everybody,
I am facing some problems after installing ROM 4.2.2
1. Proximate sensor is not working for call. (as i take the phone to my ear it is not calling to the contact.)
2. Contact display is not correct. eg. When i type "Ra" then i got 6 contacts like : Rahul, Rahul, Rahul (SIM), Raj, Raj (SIM), Rajesh.
Now when I choose the contact "Rahul (SIM) then it is not Rahul it is Raj. :confused: :crying:

All contact are displaying like this.

3. When i got new sms then it shows only new sms received. Not showing the name of sender... :crying:

Help me frnds.... plzzzz

1 & 2 known bugs for some working fine for some not
1. get app from play store( workaround )
2. flash s4 contacts app or use alternative

3. Message > Settings > Notifications > check preview message

Reactions: DBZo07

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To Being with Lets make this guide in three sections

[Post 1] General Instructions
    [Post 2] Installing Stock Rom 4.2.2
    [Post 3] Rooting Your Device
    [Post 4] Customize your ROM as per your wish

General Instructions

Introduction
    Rooting your new purchased android device is leg shaking... Main reasons of rooting is to remove bloatwares, gain power of your own device with full potential, install root application and of course Custom Roms. Flashing with custom images will increase your flash bin counter and this breaks your warranty. So people avoid rooting but thanks to chainfire, reset of this counter is made easy as having nuts...
    Before moving ahead let me explain what’s rooting...
    Rooting your android device simply means you are enabling administrator rights for yourself!! To be more precise unrooted device restrict user and we use our phone as a guest account like in windows OS.

Warnings:
    This ROOTING Steps are foolproof but Rooting means you are playing with systems, so please don't try if you don't know what you are doing...Hence it can brick your device (DEAD) and make it useless... So read the steps completely before proceeding..
    Rooting is for your fun not for any legal issues viz, piracy.
    Charge your phone well before proceeding.

Requirements
    2. A computer

For ROM with one file, Use PDA button and add that file!!

Edited: flash official rom and wipe everything in recovery after flashing.

For latest ROM mirror - here. Courtesy @BEingNiCK

Let’s Begin,

Odin button ----- File Name

PDA ----- CODE_I9082XXXXXXXXXXXXX.tar.md5

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/...ms-using-odin-for-windowsw654_zps646eb37a.jpg

You are done!!

Rooting Your Device

Rooting Your Device

Alternatively, You can use Custom roms by @balliboxer, @k2wl, @adityaf..... which can be found in Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 Android Development

Requirements [CWM]

1. A sufficiently charged Galaxy Grand
    2. A computer
    5. And download CWM from pawitp or by @Mohanshbhr or you can follow method by @chotu222
    6. Download SuperSU (place this file in your memory card) from here by the God of Rooting @Chainfire

Steps

Step 2. Enter into the Download Mode [Volume down Button+ power button + home button (Together, at same time)] release these buttons when logo GT-i9082 appears

Look at the image and flash your CWM.

root-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-and-flash-stock-roms-using-odin-for-windowsw654_zps646eb37a.jpg

Unplug the USB cord only after the ODIN status SHOWS PASS Status (Very Important)

Congratulations... you have a cwm recovery... It’s a GATE to flash your SuperSU.

Step 2. Turn-off your device and Enter into the CWM Recovery Mode [Volume UP Button+ power button + home button (Together, at same time)]
    This is how CWM looks like

lafoto_zpsa45eddd0.jpg

So now it’s time for flashing SuperSU Zip file which you downloaded from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Now select options as the image;
    SuperSU_zps708623e4.png

Reboot the device and you will gave SuperSU app, test it by root checker app (from playstore) if you want to test.
    Congratulations... You rooted your device successfully...

If you want to customize than Go to [Post 4] customize your ROM as per your wish
    Customize your ROM as per your wish

Here, the important app is Titanium Backup, which will help you to remove unwanted apps pushed by Samsung.

Be careful, follow this thread http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39395506&postcount=604 and remove unwanted apps.

So now your phone is having more RAM, more battery life and lag-free like other custom roms. zipaligned, deodex is for saving space in our device and for themes.As I observed, some people don't trust custom ROM and they want safety over theme and other Custom rom benefits. So guys its your own ROM! Enjoy!

The Ultimate customizer!!

Wanam Xposed

Description
    NOTE:
    - It Requires Root Access
    - It Requires Xposed Framework: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

DOWNLOAD HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It’s your own customized ROM, Again congratulations...
    For more browser through following threads, these are for 4.2.2. Where as for 4.2.1, there are many threads here...

[App/Port][MOD] Xperia Home 5.0 Launcher for Galaxy Grand

Xperia Z keyboard for grand [All Roms]

[Tutorial] [DPI] How I made my Grand Duos look Awesome than any other Grand Device

[APP][PHOTOSPHERE WORKING ON 4.2.2]New Android 4.3 camera and gallery app

[GUIDE][MOD][GT-i9082/L]_OPTIMIZE DPI 5''_UP 6.6.2013(2 pictures:notifications)
    Important Links!

[GUIDE] EFS Backup and Restore for Galaxy Grand i9082 and i9082L By @xenon92
    EFS is a system folder in the root directory of your phone that contains very important and basic information about your device's identity like Wi-Fi MAC address, Bluetooth MAC address and the MOST IMPORTANT - IMEI address (nv_data.bin).