[GUIDE]List of apps safe to remove for TP

• Thread starter Deleted member 4128896
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 4128896

Here is a list of system apps (apps installed in system/app), based on my experience, that are safe to remove, provided you're comfortable doing so (i.e. you never use them):
AcerDLNA.apk
Androidian.apk
AndroidTerm.apk
bohlool.net.wifiadb-1.apk
Browser.apk (if you use a different browser, which I do)
Calculator.apk (if you use a different calculator, which I do)
Calendar.apk (if you use a different calendar, which I do)
CalendarProvider.apk (if you don't keep calendar.apk there's no point in keeping this)
CMStats.apk
CMUpdateNotify.apk
CMWallpapers.apk
any of the adobe apps that you don't use
com.amazon.kindle-1.apk
com.asus.livewallpaper-1.apk
com.bigtincan.android.adfree-1.apk
com.box.android-1.apk
com.dataviz.docstogo-1.apk
com.dropbox.android-1.apk
com.duduapps.craigslistfree-1.apk
com.espn.score_center-1.apk
com.estrongs.android.pop-1.apk
com.facebook.katana-1.apk
com.google.android.apps.googlevoice-1.apk (not available in Canada so I have no use for it, from what I know its only useful in the States)
com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk
com.google.android.apps.plus-1.apk
com.google.android.gm-1.apk (this is the gmail app in case you're wondering, I use Email.apk for all my email accounts so this isn't needed)
com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk
com.google.android.music-1.apk (if you use a different music app)
com.google.android.videos-1.apk
com.google.android.voicesearch-1.apk
com.google.android.youtube-1.apk
com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup-1.apk (probably wanna keep this app to uninstall/backup/restore apps)
com.khanning.tpwpapplier-1.apk (kept FC on my TP!)
com.koushikdutta.rommanager-1.apk
com.twitter.android-1.apk
Contacts.apk
CWM.apk
Cyanbread.apk
DSPManager.apk (this is a great app to fix any sound issues you might encounter)
Email.apk (if you use a different email app)
EReader.apk
FileManager.apk
FOTAKill.apk
GenieWidget.apk (news & weather widget)
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
LatinImeTutorial.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk (removing this will remove the option to use live wallpapers even if you install some off the market)
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MediaUploader.apk
MiuiMusic.apk (if you use a different music app)
Music.apk (if you use a different music app)
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Phone.apk
PicoTts.apk
RomManager.apk
siir.es.adbWireless-1.apk
Talk2.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
Toshiba_PrinterShare_us.apk
TtsService.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
VpnServices.apk
WeatherWidget.apk

1) If you use a different launcher than ADW then you can remove ADWLauncher.apk
2) If you use a different keyboard than the stock one, then you can remove LatinIME.apk and UserDictionaryProvider.apk BUT don't remove UserDictionaryProvider.apk alone or else your stock keyboard will keep FCing
3) DO NOT remove ContactsProvider.apk otherwise GoogleServicesFramework.apk will keep FCing
4) You can remove all those apps from within your rom, using whatever means you like such as titaniumbackup. I personally remove them from the flashable zip before loading it onto my TP, which brings the rom down to about 70-100 MBs depending on how much you remove.
5) If you remove Phone.apk from within your rom (say using titaniumbackup), your rom will keep getting FCs until you reboot, after that you should be fine
6) keep in mind that removing some of these apps will remove their corresponding settings (or anything else belonging to them in the rom) so trying to access these things is impossible.
7) There is probably more apps you can safely remove but these are the ones I personally had no need for, or replaced with other ones from the market.
8) if you remove PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk you can safely delete the system/tts folder
8) the above list of apps corresponds to the pre-loaded apps on team X-RONs Variation of CM7s rom (which are both awesome groups, and cannot be thanked enough for all the work they've put in to make our devices better)

Side suggestion: for better RAM management try juwe11's RAM manager app from the market, or zeppelinrox's SuperCharger script which doesn't work 100% on my TP, meaning settings don't persist after a reboot (for me) .

Hope this helps. I know there's posts out there listing a bunch of apps safe to remove but this list is much bigger (if you dare ;) ) and the TP is not a phone (obviously) so there's more that can be removed, plus people keep asking whats safe to remove and whats not so here it is (again, as far as I know)

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerdavid

Nov 21, 2011
York
Good, many thanks for the suggestions. However I won't remove the browser as other alternatives sometimes don't work properly in my touchpad...

Last edited:

vitaminwater

Sep 16, 2010
you say you delete them from system/app then flash the rom.

I use 7zip to unzip, manually delete, zip.

when I go to install, it says aborted. any thoughts as to why?

D

Deleted member 4128896

you say you delete them from system/app then flash the rom.

I use 7zip to unzip, manually delete, zip.

when I go to install, it says aborted. any thoughts as to why?

Do not unzip, when the devs create the rom as a zip file, it's not just a matter of compressing the files into a zip file, so you have to open the archive with 7-zip, navigate to system/apps, delete whatever, then close 7-zip, then flash

Puenos

Aug 20, 2010
afaik its aborting because your .zip is not signed properly after creation... either sign it with one of the various tools around here or turn off signature verification in CWM.

at least that's what I'be read and worked for me on my GSM Desire (classic) .

bit don't hold me responsible for eventual "bricking" your TP or growing wings and sorts :)

Rykoshet

May 6, 2011
Greetings fellow Waterlooian. A few questions please.

If I remove something with Titanium, do I still need to remove the APK or a specific directory in the android FOLDER, or is that done automatically for me? I am OCD with space.

ALSO, is it safe to just OC via setcpu in Xron , seeing as the kernel allows it? I can get 1.5 in webOS so I want to try 1.5 or 1.7 here. Thanks.

Lastly what can play mp4s and movs.with audio? do you know? It seems to have stumped my poor VitalPlayer.

THANKS AGAIN

D

Deleted member 4128896

If I remove something with Titanium, do I still need to remove the APK or a specific directory in the android FOLDER, or is that done automatically for me? I am OCD with space.

ALSO, is it safe to just OC via setcpu in Xron , seeing as the kernel allows it? I can get 1.5 in webOS so I want to try 1.5 or 1.7 here. Thanks.

Lastly what can play mp4s and movs.with audio? do you know? It seems to have stumped my poor VitalPlayer.

THANKS AGAIN

Titanium will remove the apks from your system folders so you don't need to worry about that (I totally get the OCD thing that's why I noted that you can delete the tts folder in system if you remove the corresponding apps).

I've never used setcpu because there's no-frills cpu control for free ;) but I'm guessing they're pretty much the same. I've OCed my TP to 1.782 before, for bench-marking only but I honestly don't see a difference (obviously, the benchmarks are higher the more you OC, but in everyday use no major enhancements, after all the TP comes pretty awesome already :D)

I usually set it to min. 594 and max 1.242 with ONDEMAND governor and cfq I/O scheduler (never had any issues with OCing) and it comes in handy when playing 3D games

As far as I know MoboPlayer plays all codecs (never got a chance to test it thoroughly because of school) and it's free too ;)

hope that helps

Reactions: Rykoshet

Rykoshet

May 6, 2011
Have you ever tried the Interactive governor?

On my X10 it helps battery by at least 200%.

I just don't know whether it would be safe to try. Will give it a go and let you know.

D

Deleted member 4128896

Have you ever tried the Interactive governor?

On my X10 it helps battery by at least 200%.

I just don't know whether it would be safe to try. Will give it a go and let you know.

Never tried it! The latest CM7 nightly for my phone doesn't support governors :( and interactive isn't an option on my TP with no-frills! but 200% would be cool if I can get interactive with a paid OC app

Rykoshet

May 6, 2011
I'll let you know how it goes trying to put it on my TP.

Shouldn't have to be paid.

I spend 3 hours on the GO each day so I need some battery!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4128896
    Here is a list of system apps (apps installed in system/app), based on my experience, that are safe to remove, provided you're comfortable doing so (i.e. you never use them):
    AcerDLNA.apk
    Androidian.apk
    AndroidTerm.apk
    bohlool.net.wifiadb-1.apk
    Browser.apk (if you use a different browser, which I do)
    Calculator.apk (if you use a different calculator, which I do)
    Calendar.apk (if you use a different calendar, which I do)
    CalendarProvider.apk (if you don't keep calendar.apk there's no point in keeping this)
    CMStats.apk
    CMUpdateNotify.apk
    CMWallpapers.apk
    any of the adobe apps that you don't use
    com.amazon.kindle-1.apk
    com.asus.livewallpaper-1.apk
    com.bigtincan.android.adfree-1.apk
    com.box.android-1.apk
    com.dataviz.docstogo-1.apk
    com.dropbox.android-1.apk
    com.duduapps.craigslistfree-1.apk
    com.espn.score_center-1.apk
    com.estrongs.android.pop-1.apk
    com.facebook.katana-1.apk
    com.google.android.apps.googlevoice-1.apk (not available in Canada so I have no use for it, from what I know its only useful in the States)
    com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk
    com.google.android.apps.plus-1.apk
    com.google.android.gm-1.apk (this is the gmail app in case you're wondering, I use Email.apk for all my email accounts so this isn't needed)
    com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk
    com.google.android.music-1.apk (if you use a different music app)
    com.google.android.videos-1.apk
    com.google.android.voicesearch-1.apk
    com.google.android.youtube-1.apk
    com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup-1.apk (probably wanna keep this app to uninstall/backup/restore apps)
    com.khanning.tpwpapplier-1.apk (kept FC on my TP!)
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager-1.apk
    com.twitter.android-1.apk
    Contacts.apk
    CWM.apk
    Cyanbread.apk
    DSPManager.apk (this is a great app to fix any sound issues you might encounter)
    Email.apk (if you use a different email app)
    EReader.apk
    FileManager.apk
    FOTAKill.apk
    GenieWidget.apk (news & weather widget)
    GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleFeedback.apk
    GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    LatinImeTutorial.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk (removing this will remove the option to use live wallpapers even if you install some off the market)
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    MediaUploader.apk
    MiuiMusic.apk (if you use a different music app)
    Music.apk (if you use a different music app)
    NetworkLocation.apk
    OneTimeInitializer.apk
    Phone.apk
    PicoTts.apk
    RomManager.apk
    siir.es.adbWireless-1.apk
    Talk2.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    Toshiba_PrinterShare_us.apk
    TtsService.apk
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk
    VoiceDialer.apk
    VpnServices.apk
    WeatherWidget.apk

1) If you use a different launcher than ADW then you can remove ADWLauncher.apk
    2) If you use a different keyboard than the stock one, then you can remove LatinIME.apk and UserDictionaryProvider.apk BUT don't remove UserDictionaryProvider.apk alone or else your stock keyboard will keep FCing
    3) DO NOT remove ContactsProvider.apk otherwise GoogleServicesFramework.apk will keep FCing
    4) You can remove all those apps from within your rom, using whatever means you like such as titaniumbackup. I personally remove them from the flashable zip before loading it onto my TP, which brings the rom down to about 70-100 MBs depending on how much you remove.
    5) If you remove Phone.apk from within your rom (say using titaniumbackup), your rom will keep getting FCs until you reboot, after that you should be fine
    6) keep in mind that removing some of these apps will remove their corresponding settings (or anything else belonging to them in the rom) so trying to access these things is impossible.
    7) There is probably more apps you can safely remove but these are the ones I personally had no need for, or replaced with other ones from the market.
    8) if you remove PicoTts.apk and TtsService.apk you can safely delete the system/tts folder
    8) the above list of apps corresponds to the pre-loaded apps on team X-RONs Variation of CM7s rom (which are both awesome groups, and cannot be thanked enough for all the work they've put in to make our devices better)

Side suggestion: for better RAM management try juwe11's RAM manager app from the market, or zeppelinrox's SuperCharger script which doesn't work 100% on my TP, meaning settings don't persist after a reboot (for me) .

Hope this helps. I know there's posts out there listing a bunch of apps safe to remove but this list is much bigger (if you dare ;) ) and the TP is not a phone (obviously) so there's more that can be removed, plus people keep asking whats safe to remove and whats not so here it is (again, as far as I know)
    D
    Deleted member 4128896

THANKS AGAIN

Titanium will remove the apks from your system folders so you don't need to worry about that (I totally get the OCD thing that's why I noted that you can delete the tts folder in system if you remove the corresponding apps).

I've never used setcpu because there's no-frills cpu control for free ;) but I'm guessing they're pretty much the same. I've OCed my TP to 1.782 before, for bench-marking only but I honestly don't see a difference (obviously, the benchmarks are higher the more you OC, but in everyday use no major enhancements, after all the TP comes pretty awesome already :D)

I usually set it to min. 594 and max 1.242 with ONDEMAND governor and cfq I/O scheduler (never had any issues with OCing) and it comes in handy when playing 3D games

As far as I know MoboPlayer plays all codecs (never got a chance to test it thoroughly because of school) and it's free too ;)

hope that helps