[Guide] How to keep Device backup up-to-date

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
How to keep Device backup up-to-date

Here I am discussing to keep data up to date, so you can test different ROM without worrying about losing your data. As well this is safe, in case of you need to have wipe your device in emergency.
Basically our device have two types of data. 1.Static 2. Dynamic.
-Static data is like ROM,Kernel,application mods,account,settings etc.
-Dynamic data is like contacts, msgs, user applications etc. Which are getting change everyday. This type of backup need to update regularly or can say schedule backup is ideal for such data.
So backup should be create differently for both cases.
I prefers Nandroid backup for static data. This will help you when you want to switch back to your original ROM anytime, without flashing that ROM, Editing kernel or adding accout setting etc.
and Titanium for dynamic data. This needs schedule backup, so you need not to worry anymore for losing contacts, SMS, your game level etc.
After restoring Nandroid backup OR Moving to newer ROM this data will bring your device to condition, which was almost before flashing new ROM.

Backup :

1.Nadroid Backup :

This is can backup your full ROM + Custom Kernel + Data
But as above said, I prefers to use this as Backup only static data rather than have full backup. I think this will be more suitable if you create Backup of just Base. e.g System. As data we always have modify in day to day activity, but system will remain same.
- So better to keep Backup of ROM + Mods if you are using like call recording, launcher,any dumped application you have, OR any stuff you are using with pushing in system ROM.
- Better to have backup after adding your account, as this will save your time. But keep Account sync off (otherwise backup will includes contacts, calendar) and when you will restore, it may have changed.
- - Add your preferable setting like sound, tone, keyboard, language, country etc. As these setting usually we need not to change, once it applied.
- Add Titanium backup, Root Explorer application, as this is useful immediately after restoring backup

Now Create Nandroid backup of above said contents with recovery. It is better to put note along with backup, so you can easily get idea which backup contains what, particularly when multiple backup are there.

2.Data Backup :

Here list of things we need to have backup day to day.
1.Contacts : There is option available in contact – menu – Import/Export, This is best tool when you manually wiping, as this is most secure backup. Contacts also gets backup automatically if you keeping Accoun sync ON. Though will discuss in next step how to auto backup.
2.Camera snaps : Usually very precious data, and stores in Internal storage by defaults, so won’t erase during wiping/hard reset(except specially you select to format USB storage). But still better way you can change setting in camera appl storage location to Ext SD card, so need not to worry, if you need to format USB storage any time.
3.SMS
4.bookmarks
5.Call Logs
6.Calendar – As said it also auto sync with google acc, but will discuss in next session
7.Personal dictionary, usually swype dictionary auto add all names and words you are having in contacts, will discuss next session
8.Applications

So after having backup of all mentioned above, you need not to have worry about data, and you can fearlessly flash any ROM without worrying about losing data.
Hete now will discuss how to setup Titanium backup to backup all mentioned thing automatically.

Schedule Backup :

1.Open Totanium and make this change
Menu – preferance – Auto-sync TB –This will save all change you make on Titaniu, and need not to set everytime after re installing TB.
As well if you have sufficient space on card, select to have 3-5 copies of backup.
2.Now first create backup of full device, once your device is full prepared with everything..
batch – backup – select ‘Backup all user app + system data’
This will have full backup of all your installed appl and data.
3.Now from backup/restore screen, select ‘Click to Edit filter’ See image below)
attachment.php

select ‘create lable’
attachment.php

name it e.g. ‘data only’
select add/remove elements
Now just select green and yellow colored listing – and Ok from Rt upper corner tick mark.
attachment.php

Now come to schedules
Pick one from listed – Edit
First line select with Backup new user+syst app & newer version (see image)
Second line – no filtering
Select time (when your device remains in non use)
Select days of week you want to backup (idle daily)
And save.
attachment.php

Now pick another one – Edit (see image below)
First line select – ‘Backup all system data’
Second line select –[Label] data only (OR name which you applied above)
Same way above select time and days of backup and save.
attachment.php

So schedule 1 will backup all application which you install day to day, and schedule 2 will backup all the data like bookmark,contacts, personal dictionary,SMS,calendar,call logs etc as per your selected time.
And keep data up to date.

Backup of homescreen

This is usefull when you have multiple folder on your homescreen like I have in this picture.
attachment.php

Here you need to have backup of Tw Launcher(or touch wiz home if you are using TW5), but remember when to restore, just select data only.

Restoring :

So whenever you need to wipe OR you want to switch over from different ROM, just go this way
1.Restoring after wiping
If you have same ROM and just wipe data then restore with Titanium is enough
- Install titanium, bacup/Restore screen and just select all yellow colored backup and restore, if you want to restore dictionary,calendar,storage select those from green colored list and restore
- Batch – restore – select ‘missing appl with data’ and restore.

2.Restoring from other ROM
better flash same kernel, on which you have create nadroid backup and restore nandroid backup of base as mentioned at starting of post.
Then restore rest of things as mentioned in 1. above.

-----------------------
@ All newbies using titanium backup

I have read to many cases, user losing backup made by titanium after factory reset
This is b'coz by default titanium backup make makeup folder on internal SD card, and factory reset wiping this folder too, so at end of factory reset you won't have any data to restore
to prevent this, always use storage to Ext SD card instead of int SD card
How to ?
-create new folder on ext Sd card and name it like titaniumbackup
-open titanium - menu - preference -backup folder location
Now this will show all backup files, press back menu and navigate to new folder you have created
and use 'use current folder'
It will ask to move all data - move it.

Now back to preference menu and check mark 'Auto-sync TB setting'
this will remember your choice after installing TB next time

Now you are safe and can wipe cache and data without losing your backup.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 15,196
  • folders.jpg
    folders.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 15,094
  • schedule2.jpg
    schedule2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 15,098
Last edited:

cryostasis25

Apr 11, 2011
Was thinking about this (how to backup files and how to update it) a few days ago and started playing with Titanium Backup but unable to figure it out even though I see that there is a schedule option for backup. So with this guide that your going to make it would be alot helpful. So +1 for the interested party/group.

B

baz77

wow learned something new again, Dr Ketan keep em coming thanks m8!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mukeshg121

May 15, 2012
[

Here you need to have backup of Tw Launcher(or touch wiz home if you are using TW5), but remember when to restore, just select data only.

,how to take backup of launcher?

Last edited:

grgsiocl

Nov 9, 2009
Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
i use always gobackup free from the market to take backup of apps + data, sms, call log, contacts. launcher layout, MMS etc...in one go and it hardly takes 3-4 minutes to restore everything in one shot...I felt it is better than titanium backup atleast for backups

Reactions: rraaka

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
Ketan, thanks for putting in so much time and effort in creating this and other guides. Very much appreciated!

Criskelo 4.04 ICS LRK v11.2, LRK Modem, speedmod k3-13 kernel, Carrier: AT&T (US)

Reactions: dr.ketan

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
i use always gobackup free from the market to take backup of apps + data, sms, call log, contacts. launcher layout, MMS etc...in one go and it hardly takes 3-4 minutes to restore everything in one shot...I felt it is better than titanium backup atleast for backups

I was not much familiar with gobackup but just i had look it after reading your post, what i cudn't findout is schedule. Does that have it?
B'coz data contents are everyday changes and really painful to take regular bakup manually.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

NaveenKD

Feb 15, 2012
Bangalore

1.Nadroid Backup :

I am using this as different way rather than have full backup. I think this will be more suitable if you create Backup of just Base. e.g System. As data we always have modify in day to day activity, but system will remain same.
- So better to keep Backup of ROM + Mods if you are using like call recording, launcher,any dumped application you have, OR any stuff you are using with pushing in system ROM.
- Better to have backup after adding your account, as this will save your time. But keep Account sync off (otherwise backup will includes contacts, calendar) and when you will restore, it may have changed.
- - Add your preferable setting like sound, tone, keyboard, language, country etc. As these setting usually we need not to change, once it applied.
- Add Titanium backup, Root Explorer application, as this is useful immediately after restoring backup

Now Create Nandroid backup of above said contents with recovery. It is better to put note along with backup, so you can easily get idea which backup contains what, particularly when multiple backup are there.

Dr.Ketan,

I went to recovery and selected backup. There was no options to select or deselect anything and everything got backed up.

Q1. Where is this backup stored so that i can delete it. Is it safe to delete.
Q2. Please elaborate on nandroid backup steps so that we can follow correctly.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here I am discussing to keep data up to date, so you can test different ROM without worrying about losing your data. As well this is safe, in case of you need to have wipe your device in emergency.
    Basically our device have two types of data. 1.Static 2. Dynamic.
    -Static data is like ROM,Kernel,application mods,account,settings etc.
    -Dynamic data is like contacts, msgs, user applications etc. Which are getting change everyday. This type of backup need to update regularly or can say schedule backup is ideal for such data.
    So backup should be create differently for both cases.
    I prefers Nandroid backup for static data. This will help you when you want to switch back to your original ROM anytime, without flashing that ROM, Editing kernel or adding accout setting etc.
    and Titanium for dynamic data. This needs schedule backup, so you need not to worry anymore for losing contacts, SMS, your game level etc.
    After restoring Nandroid backup OR Moving to newer ROM this data will bring your device to condition, which was almost before flashing new ROM.

Backup :

1.Nadroid Backup :

But as above said, I prefers to use this as Backup only static data rather than have full backup. I think this will be more suitable if you create Backup of just Base. e.g System. As data we always have modify in day to day activity, but system will remain same.

2.Data Backup :

Here list of things we need to have backup day to day.
    1.Contacts : There is option available in contact – menu – Import/Export, This is best tool when you manually wiping, as this is most secure backup. Contacts also gets backup automatically if you keeping Accoun sync ON. Though will discuss in next step how to auto backup.
    2.Camera snaps : Usually very precious data, and stores in Internal storage by defaults, so won’t erase during wiping/hard reset(except specially you select to format USB storage). But still better way you can change setting in camera appl storage location to Ext SD card, so need not to worry, if you need to format USB storage any time.
    3.SMS
    4.bookmarks
    5.Call Logs
    6.Calendar – As said it also auto sync with google acc, but will discuss in next session
    7.Personal dictionary, usually swype dictionary auto add all names and words you are having in contacts, will discuss next session
    8.Applications

So after having backup of all mentioned above, you need not to have worry about data, and you can fearlessly flash any ROM without worrying about losing data.
    Hete now will discuss how to setup Titanium backup to backup all mentioned thing automatically.

Schedule Backup :

1.Open Totanium and make this change
    Menu – preferance – Auto-sync TB –This will save all change you make on Titaniu, and need not to set everytime after re installing TB.
    As well if you have sufficient space on card, select to have 3-5 copies of backup.
    2.Now first create backup of full device, once your device is full prepared with everything..
    batch – backup – select ‘Backup all user app + system data’
    This will have full backup of all your installed appl and data.
    3.Now from backup/restore screen, select ‘Click to Edit filter’ See image below)
    attachment.php

select ‘create lable’
    attachment.php

name it e.g. ‘data only’
    select add/remove elements
    Now just select green and yellow colored listing – and Ok from Rt upper corner tick mark.
    attachment.php

Now come to schedules
    Pick one from listed – Edit
    First line select with Backup new user+syst app & newer version (see image)
    Second line – no filtering
    Select time (when your device remains in non use)
    Select days of week you want to backup (idle daily)
    And save.
    attachment.php

Now pick another one – Edit (see image below)
    First line select – ‘Backup all system data’
    Second line select –[Label] data only (OR name which you applied above)
    Same way above select time and days of backup and save.
    attachment.php

So schedule 1 will backup all application which you install day to day, and schedule 2 will backup all the data like bookmark,contacts, personal dictionary,SMS,calendar,call logs etc as per your selected time.
    And keep data up to date.

Backup of homescreen

This is usefull when you have multiple folder on your homescreen like I have in this picture.
    attachment.php

Restoring :

So whenever you need to wipe OR you want to switch over from different ROM, just go this way
    1.Restoring after wiping
    If you have same ROM and just wipe data then restore with Titanium is enough
    - Install titanium, bacup/Restore screen and just select all yellow colored backup and restore, if you want to restore dictionary,calendar,storage select those from green colored list and restore
    - Batch – restore – select ‘missing appl with data’ and restore.

2.Restoring from other ROM
    better flash same kernel, on which you have create nadroid backup and restore nandroid backup of base as mentioned at starting of post.
    Then restore rest of things as mentioned in 1. above.

-----------------------
    @ All newbies using titanium backup

I have read to many cases, user losing backup made by titanium after factory reset
    This is b'coz by default titanium backup make makeup folder on internal SD card, and factory reset wiping this folder too, so at end of factory reset you won't have any data to restore
    to prevent this, always use storage to Ext SD card instead of int SD card
    How to ?
    -create new folder on ext Sd card and name it like titaniumbackup
    -open titanium - menu - preference -backup folder location
    Now this will show all backup files, press back menu and navigate to new folder you have created
    and use 'use current folder'
    It will ask to move all data - move it.

Now back to preference menu and check mark 'Auto-sync TB setting'
    this will remember your choice after installing TB next time

Now you are safe and can wipe cache and data without losing your backup.
    Yes but many user having confusion about to select proper option for them.

Thnx
    Actually i have not mentioned regarding color code and icon, b'coz it is ready made available on TB application Menu-Help & support - legend.
    Regarding freezing there is sticky thread in app section.
    Another thing is freezing and removing bloatware helping or not is also on debate, my self also dont believe whether really it is helpful. See most of user removes bloatware for two reason one for making RAM free and saving battery juice.
    Now RAM, Android itself have mechanism of LMK(low memory killing), so whenever android system feels there is RAM is full, it kills process in background which is not in use. Basically android keeps this in background b'coz this can improve performance, it takes less time to call this application if it is running in background. So again if you remove bloatware, still android will keep running certain amount of application in background till it sense mamory is full. difference only will be system appl which you have removed will be replaced by some other application which you have used last.
    Now battery, above explanation itself emphasise no role of saving battery juice by this way, b'coz appl you have froze/removed was replaced by other applications.
    You can try this thing, dont remove any bloatwares and install battery monitor SW and look how much juice is drained bt bloatwares during full cycle. surprisely you wont find > 1-2 % for total bloatwares, even some can't be record drainage too even though it was remained in background.

Regarding droidwall and security, will try to write on it.
    I am using notecore 13.4 std version and.fine for me.

Once again read your guide in the first link of your signature, once i was comfortable I flashed notecore 13.4 std and reset yellow triangle.

Phone is now up and running, I noticed now in cpuspy I have a 100mhz state whereas before with stock kernel lowest state was 200mhz - think i can see where some of battery life gain comes from.

Want to say thank you(even though i always click thanks) to all the help and advice you've given me, members like you are an asset to XDA

Thanks
    And comments like this inspires me to make all these.