[AlphaRev] = FULL ROOT, AlphaRev soon to WILDFIRE (Proved working!)

Search This thread

danne_jo

Apr 7, 2010
HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.

The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.

AlphaRev has patched HBOOT images for several phones, whereas the HTC Desire (GSM) was our first victim.

Soon to be supported devices:
HTC Legend GSM
HTC Aria GSM (Liberty)

HTC Wildfire GSM (Buzz)

The following patches were made:
First and foremost, the security flag is ignored. HBOOT now always thinks the phone is S-OFF.
Second, Fastboot extended commands are enabled. This is similar to engineering HBOOTS, these allow you to use commands like 'fastboot flash system system.img' (flashing a system image), or 'fastboot boot boot.img' (downloading and directly booting a kernel image and ramdisk).
Is there any risk involved?

Yes, there is. Flashing HBOOT will flash a critical part of your phone, if that gets corrupted, your phone WILL be bricked.
We do not accept any responsibility for bricked phones, even though we've attempted to make the actual flashing method as safe as possible.
If your phone no longer turns on anymore, please return to HTC for warranty purposes.
Should you still run this hack/program, you then hereby accept full responsibility.

So how does this work?

The image provided is an ISO image. You can either burn that on CD, and boot it. Instructions will be provided when you run the CD.
The actual tool is packaged in a Linux livecd, to ensure maximum compatibility.
On a sidenote: yes, you should be able to run this in VMWare or Virtualbox, as long as you enable the USB device to be routed to the livecd running.

Will my phone stay S-OFF forever?

Yes and no. As soon as you decide to flash a stock RUU that has a HBOOT update in it, this hacked HBOOT will be overwritten.
You do have the option to remove the HBOOT update from the rom.zip inside the RUU. Since your phone no longer checks signatures, you could easily do that.
Also, you then still have the option to flash custom recovery, or different kernels using the fastboot functions described above (fastboot flash, et al).

http://alpharev.shadowchild.nl/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=794314&page=5 (Desire thread)

buzz_soff.jpg

Last edited:

bl1nkk

Jun 16, 2010
Baunatal
mrks.me
That means we can flash new roms (or single images) via `adb fastboot [...]`?
Great news tho. :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

danne_jo

Apr 7, 2010
Just tryd this on my HTC Desire.. (so dont try it on wildfire yet)

Im soooooooo happy right now ;)

ChefAnton

Sep 29, 2010
Agghh, I loaded up the RUU with the .25 image, and now im locked in s-on. Can't wait for this to come out =) no more HTC stock images for me =)

danne_jo

Apr 7, 2010
Wow :)

Thanx to IEF @ alpharev my wildfire is now s-off!!!!!! :) damn so nice... thanx man!

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
whats the issues with having nand security off?

and what real benefits will we see from this?

Sorry for asking maybe quite numb questions :)

ChefAnton

Sep 29, 2010
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You =)

I have a smile on my dial, was kickin meself last week when i put on the RUU_Buzz_HTC_WWE_1.25.405.1_Radio_13.45.55.24_3.35.15.31_release_142189_signed rom and found I could no longer flash stuff.

Gonna make sure I never flash a boot image again once this is done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dude, not a nice way to ask for info, these people do this in spare time they do have lives.

I have a new HTC Wildfire that was pre-installed with 2.2.1 do you see me spamming the forum asking for help wait like everyone else. It takes time to bypass security systems bugging Devs on forums for info will only delay them from the work in hand!

Just do what i have done get your goldcard made ready and waiting then wait for the million posts that will be made when Root for 2.2.1 is released!
    When support for the HTC Wildfire comes, will it be able to root a Wildfire with the latest HBoot that came with the Android 2.2 Update? (HBoot 1.01 I think?)

since the post right above yours answers your question, I hereby deem you illiterate.
    HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
    it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.

The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
    Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.

AlphaRev has patched HBOOT images for several phones, whereas the HTC Desire (GSM) was our first victim.

Soon to be supported devices:
    HTC Legend GSM
    HTC Aria GSM (Liberty)

HTC Wildfire GSM (Buzz)

The following patches were made:
    First and foremost, the security flag is ignored. HBOOT now always thinks the phone is S-OFF.
    Second, Fastboot extended commands are enabled. This is similar to engineering HBOOTS, these allow you to use commands like 'fastboot flash system system.img' (flashing a system image), or 'fastboot boot boot.img' (downloading and directly booting a kernel image and ramdisk).
    Is there any risk involved?

Yes, there is. Flashing HBOOT will flash a critical part of your phone, if that gets corrupted, your phone WILL be bricked.
    We do not accept any responsibility for bricked phones, even though we've attempted to make the actual flashing method as safe as possible.
    If your phone no longer turns on anymore, please return to HTC for warranty purposes.
    Should you still run this hack/program, you then hereby accept full responsibility.

So how does this work?

The image provided is an ISO image. You can either burn that on CD, and boot it. Instructions will be provided when you run the CD.
    The actual tool is packaged in a Linux livecd, to ensure maximum compatibility.
    On a sidenote: yes, you should be able to run this in VMWare or Virtualbox, as long as you enable the USB device to be routed to the livecd running.

Will my phone stay S-OFF forever?

Yes and no. As soon as you decide to flash a stock RUU that has a HBOOT update in it, this hacked HBOOT will be overwritten.
    You do have the option to remove the HBOOT update from the rom.zip inside the RUU. Since your phone no longer checks signatures, you could easily do that.
    Also, you then still have the option to flash custom recovery, or different kernels using the fastboot functions described above (fastboot flash, et al).

http://alpharev.shadowchild.nl/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=794314&page=5 (Desire thread)

buzz_soff.jpg
    Everyone else is doing too... for like what .. ? Year ?

For me its just derp, nothing more nothing less..

Well, if you are so unhappy with the speed that this volunteer team of people are releasing the new version, why don't you go and re-implement all their hard work yourself instead?

Or, failing that, why not send them a donation of some money. For that matter, if you send them a few hundred dollars, they might even consider releasing the beta code to you :p

But don't just whine and ***** about the fact that a free tool, written by people who aren't being paid to do this, hasn't already been released, and that's no good because you want it now.
    Testing is done.
    This made the Wildfire hboot 'final' status for our impending release.

Yes, you will need root. And no, we don't support HBOOT 1.x.
    You could however use this HBOOT in conjunction with a Wildfire made radio S-OFF using the clip, to unlock the features we patched in, like fastboot.