[ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

Search This thread

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
this is what i did, wheni first got the phone im running windows 7 i plugged the phone into the computer let windows find the drivers for the samsung device i did have a problem saying the drivers werent installed sucessfully i unplugged phone opened samsung kies plugged phone in it connected,unplugged phone closed kies plugged back in windows found the device, i kept the phone plugged into the computer dled the motochoper file extracted the folder to my desktop opened the folder just to look in it as i did that i saw windows start searching for drivers for adb once that was done and sucsessfull i just clicked on the batch file and then watched my phone it prompted me to allow some connection then followed on the computer screen pressing anykey then enter to reboot. before any of that i enabled developer options and checked usb debugging

Last edited:
Reactions: *.jpg

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
How did you get going?

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

So I was stuck too, went to settings/about phone. Clicked on Build number 7 times which activates developer options then activated and selected USB debugging. Ran on MacBook pro S4 is now rooted. Waiting on bootloader Unlock. :good:

Thank you, thank you, thank you..that worked, umm now I just got to root..

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

this is what i did, wheni first got the phone im running windows 7 i plugged the phone into the computer let windows find the drivers for the samsung device i did have a problem saying the drivers werent installed sucessfully i unplugged phone opened samsung kies plugged phone in it connected,unplugged phone closed kies plugged back in windows found the device, i kept the phone plugged into the computer dled the motochoper file extracted the folder to my desktop opened the folder just to look in it as i did that i saw windows start searching for drivers for adb once that was done and sucsessfull i just clicked on the batch file and then watched my phone it prompted me to allow some connection then followed on the computer screen pressing anykey then enter to reboot. before any of that i enabled developer options and checked usb debugging

Ok, got it setup just as you do, what is the worst that can happen? here we go..thanks

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Rooted perfect....just to see if I got this right...if you do the update...it removes root...and there is no way to root again...anyone? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Thank you, thank you, thank you..that worked, umm now I just got to root..

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Ok, got it setup just as you do, what is the worst that can happen? here we go..thanks

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Rooted perfect....just to see if I got this right...if uou do the update...it removes root...and there is no way to root again...anyone? Thanks

no do the update and then just pug in to your pc and run that batch file again it will re root

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Thanks for your help, seriously appreciate it.

thats what its about,hey if you already did the update chances are even after a factor reset you already on the update check the build and see and also dl root checker basic to make sure your rooted,after i did a factory reset after updating it kept that build i guess unless the i never saw it update witch i doubt happened

JVH84

Jan 26, 2013
Thanks

First thing I wanted to do with this new phone was root it :) So much bloat ware on this though can't wait for a stable rom to be released :D

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
thats what its about,hey if you already did the update chances are even after a factor reset you already on the update check the build and see and also dl root checker basic to make sure your rooted,after i did a factory reset after updating it kept that build i guess unless the i never saw it update witch i doubt happened

Hmm I am on MDL now with root..so update removed root..I just re-ran root again. Weird..on my wife's her update says wait some 23hrs..wth...

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

First thing I wanted to do with this new phone was root it :) So much bloat ware on this though can't wait for a stable rom to be released :D

+1 I can't stand the lockscreen.

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Hmm I am on MDL now with root..so update removed root..I just re-ran root again. Weird..on my wife's her update says wait some 23hrs..wth...

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

+1 I can't stand the lockscreen.

is your wifes rooted?,and what is she on uccuamba?and are you on att just curios i asume you are,and i love the lock screen i put an al black screen changed it from person message to the large clock and use the swipe unlock with the light option instead of the ink, this isnt the place to probably talk about lock screens but if you want to pm me its all good

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
is your wifes rooted?,and what is she on uccuamba?and are you on att just curios i asume you are,and i love the lock screen i put an al black screen changed it from person message to the large clock and use the swipe unlock with the light option instead of the ink, this isnt the place to probably talk about lock screens but if you want to pm me its all good

she is not rooted..haven't touched hers yet...hers says she is on MDB still...but it will not let her update for 20 so hrs.

ok ok the lockscreen is ok i guess .:D good idea about not here..will do thanks

Last edited:

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
root after update

I saw a big deal update a few days ago from AT&T and pressed to remind me later and then it tried to force through but couldn't because my battery was too low. I plugged it in and it "updated" overnight and next morning I wasn't rooted anymore.

Today I have been formatting and copying my material to the micro SD chip after I learned gallery is fussy and didn't like my 32 GB Class 10 Lexar Micro SD. While putting my new s4 in order, I noticed a

notification

Samsung Update Push

I don't know why it disappeared when I clicked on it and I don't know where it went or what it did. Anyone else see that one flash by? I can't tell if it did anything at all, I notice no difference.

SO! I just now ran motochopper again and root worked fine.

I'm rooted but still stock on firmware, and will patiently wait for the Adam Outler's and djrBliss type developers to crack the boot loader thing. I see gossip about an exploit and remain hopeful that we won't need a class action against AT&T to get complete control over the handsets we have purchased.

Thanks again for the ability to root and it's still working!

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
So Clockworkmod is working? Can you do a CWM backup? What happens if you reboot into recovery? It works fine?

for att? where did you see this?

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

for att? where did you see this?

just checked no recovery for att

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Awesome..can't wait to get mine.

what a douche

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
I saw a big deal update a few days ago from AT&T and pressed to remind me later and then it tried to force through but couldn't because my battery was too low. I plugged it in and it "updated" overnight and next morning I wasn't rooted anymore.

Today I have been formatting and copying my material to the micro SD chip after I learned gallery is fussy and didn't like my 32 GB Class 10 Lexar Micro SD. While putting my new s4 in order, I noticed a

notification

Samsung Update Push

I don't know why it disappeared when I clicked on it and I don't know where it went or what it did. Anyone else see that one flash by? I can't tell if it did anything at all, I notice no difference.

SO! I just now ran motochopper again and root worked fine.

I'm rooted but still stock on firmware, and will patiently wait for the Adam Outler's and djrBliss type developers to crack the boot loader thing. I see gossip about an exploit and remain hopeful that we won't need a class action against AT&T to get complete control over the handsets we have purchased.

Thanks again for the ability to root and it's still working!

i have auto updates off i just checked the playstore and saw the samsung update push said it fixed some wifi connections and something with chat on if you go to the play store and uninstall the update im sure u can read what the update is if you want

stevehkim

Oct 29, 2011
Just traded in my 16 for 32 gig and had it rooted in 5 mins. Thank you.

ATT S4 Rooted. Beastin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
    http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
    2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
    3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
    4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
    5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
    6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
    At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    i cant find the development options for this phone, UGHH any help guys lol

Go to System Settings --> About Phone and tap several times on Build Number.
    debugging is on, installed usb drivers and im on Win7 64bit.

Device manager shows ADB driver installation too...

Sorry about that, just needed to update the version of ADB I was including. It should work fine now. Try downloading a fresh copy from the same link and trying again.

I've updated the instructions to mention that you will need to approve the ADB connection from your PC on the device.
    I tried to send a PM to @djrbliss but he has it disabled.

CASUAL handles Windows, Linux, and Mac in a single Java JAR. you can open it up and go into the /SCRIPTS/ folder then open the SCR to see your code rewritten in CASUAL format.

The benefeit of CASUAL scripting is that it performs troubleshooting for the user

Download http://d-h.st/64i

33o475s.png

Anyway, i always rewrite in CASUAL format because its more useful to have a single file that works on all platforms rather than a zip file that has differences for each.
    Although I love that this was found...part of me feels it should be in the other dev section...as this method isnt exactpy "original" its a methid for a different phone that just so happens to work...just my .02

Anyways as I already stated edtremly greatful...nice to have root again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Its more original than anything else that will be in this forum. djrbliss is the originating other of the exploit, and the person that located the vulnerability used.