[APP][NO ROOT][ANDROID TV] Leanback Launcher for Fire TV

Search This thread

rockon999

May 16, 2015
Leanback on Fire
Android TV Launcher Ported to Fire TV

Source Code: https://github.com/leanback-on-fire/LeanbackLauncher

Project is continued at https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher, not supported by rockon999
Releases: https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher/releases (no longer offered by rockon999, forked releases)

1.jpg

(More screenshots are attached)

Tested on:
- Fire TV Stick 2

Features:
- Can open Bluetooth and WiFi settings without the stock launcher installed.
- Opens notification center, notification settings, and displays the current amount of unread notifications.
- Can display Amazon-downloaded apps in the store for easy updating and management.
- Can open individual app's settings.
- Can sort applications by categories (video, music, favorites, etc)
- Stripped of all Google services (to prevent crashes!)

Limitations:
- Recommendations were removed (unfortunately they are too unstable and unworkable without root, though I am exploring a method of adding them back into the launcher in Alpha 3)
- As this is based on decompiled sources there are bugs that must be squashed
- The uninstall button in edit mode is broken via the traditional Android TV method. Instead use the Fire TV app menu.
- Also, the done button in edit mode is broken too. Simply use the back button on your remote :)

Basics:
- The menu button will open up an app menu.
- The edit favorites launcher in the settings row can be used to add apps you want easy access to. Press back to exit the selection screen.

Installation:
- Install like any other APK over ADB. (adb install [path])
- If you want the notification counter you need to execute the following command: "adb shell pm grant com.rockon999.android.leanbacklauncher android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"
- If you are on firmware 5.2.6 or lower you can disable the stock launcher. See this thread for more information. I don't recommend disabling all amazon features. Only OTA and com.amazon.tv.launcher.
- You should install LauncherHijack v3 for a fully functioning home button.
- If you want Google Search you'll need to install a specific version. 've found a working 2.x series version that is better looking, more stable, and much faster than the previous 1.x version. You can get the APK here. Note: The current version of Leanback on Fire may crash if you try to use the "microphone" orb to interact with the 2.x version. Always use the keyboard orb.
A future version will remove the microphone orb. Unfortunately the latest version is incompatible but an older version works surprisingly well. I've found version 1.0.6.2108324 to be the most stable. You can download the APK here.

Notes:
-The notification counter is still in its infancy and may not always function exactly.
- The app must be restarted for WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission to take effect.
- I'll be posted a full guide to the various Android TV APKs that function on Fire TV soon :) - The guide is posed in General

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 32,856
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32,861
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 31,939
  • 4.png
    4.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 30,066
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 28,748
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29,230
Last edited:

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Leanback on Fire

Source Code: https://github.com/rockon999/LeanbackLauncher/
Releases: https://github.com/rockon999/LeanbackLauncher/releases

1.jpg

Tested on:
- Fire TV Stick 2

Features:
- Opens notification center, notification settings, and displays the current amount of unread notifications.
- Can display Amazon-downloaded apps in the store for easy updating and management.
- Favorites row

Limitations:
- Recommendations were removed (unfortunately they are too unstable and unworkable without root, though I am exploring a method of adding them back into the launcher)
- Uninstall is broken via the traditional Android TV method. Instead use the Fire TV app menu.

Basics:
- The [+] tile in the favorites row can be used to add apps you want easy access to. Press back to exit the selection screen.

Installation:
- If you want the notification counter you need to execute the following command: "adb shell pm grant com.rockon999.android.leanbacklauncher android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"
- If you are on firmware 5.4.0 or lower you can disable the stock launcher. See this thread for more information. I don't recommend disabling all amazon features. Only OTA and com.amazon.tv.launcher.
- If you want Google Search you'll need to install a specific version. Unfortunately the latest version is incompatible but an older version works surprisingly well. I've found version 1.0.6.2108324 to be the most stable. You can download the APK here.

Notes:
-The notification counter is still in its infancy and may not always function exactly.
- The app must be restarted for WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission to take effect.
- I'll be posted a full guide to the various Android TV APKs that function on Fire TV soon :)
Wow thanks for this. This is pretty kool. Haven't tried it on m Fire TV 1 yet, but FYI it installed and works great on my M8S Android TV box. I installed it just to see if it would work and it seems to work as intended even on a non amazon device. Will let you know how it works on the Fire TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRICK0044

Jun 3, 2011
I tried it on my fire tv 3 with no luck. I can see the apps but when I try to open them they just flash for a second and don't open. Thanks for all you do.

BRICK0044

Jun 3, 2011
I have never used logcat but I tried to use it from adblink. Should I be tring to open the apps while it is logging and then find "grep leanbacklauncher"?

rockon999

May 16, 2015
I have never used logcat but I tried to use it from adblink. Should I be tring to open the apps while it is logging and then find "grep leanbacklauncher"?

I was listing the command to get any log results from the launcher. If you're on a Mac/Linux run "adb logcat | grep leanbacklauncher" in your terminal. If you're on Windows you should be able to use the command "adb shell logcat | grep leanbacklauncher" instead. Once you've run the command attempt to open an app, hopefully an error will appear in your terminal.

BRICK0044

Jun 3, 2011
Tried the command you listed and get 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

warr1979

Feb 17, 2018
Thanks so far this is great hopefully we can get some improvments like the ability to line up apps the way we want and maybe even change the titles. Is there anyway I can send a small thank you

rockon999

May 16, 2015
Reactions: Y314K

rockon999

May 16, 2015
How did you get amazon video to work?

I have a FTV Stick 2 on 5.2.6.0 w/ OTA blocked and somehow I have an APK called "com.amazon.amazonvideo.livingroom.firetv". It has always been on my device and works perfectly when launched. Since it ends in ".firetv" I'm fairly certain nothing I've done to my stick brought it about and Amazon merely included it for some unknown reason (I'm guessing as an interface for the prime channel).

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Thanks for reminding me! I actually used this up until I "uninstalled" the stock launcher (after you uninstall it for your user, it asks you which launcher to run on boot)
np, I am still very partial to AppStarter v4. Wish someone would update it. But I see myself using your version of Android TV too. So I prefer to just use a 3rd party app to control which launcher starts up at boot. Just like which app controls the Home button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Leanback on Fire

Source Code: https://github.com/leanback-on-fire/LeanbackLauncher

Project is continued at https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher, not supported by rockon999
    Releases: https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher/releases (no longer offered by rockon999, forked releases)

1.jpg

Tested on:
    - Fire TV Stick 2

Features:
    - Can sort applications by categories (video, music, favorites, etc)

Limitations:
    - Recommendations were removed (unfortunately they are too unstable and unworkable without root, though I am exploring a method of adding them back into the launcher in Alpha 3)
    - The uninstall button in edit mode is broken via the traditional Android TV method. Instead use the Fire TV app menu.
    - Also, the done button in edit mode is broken too. Simply use the back button on your remote :)

Basics:
    - The edit favorites launcher in the settings row can be used to add apps you want easy access to. Press back to exit the selection screen.

Installation:
    - If you are on firmware 5.2.6 or lower you can disable the stock launcher. See this thread for more information. I don't recommend disabling all amazon features. Only OTA and com.amazon.tv.launcher.
    - If you want Google Search you'll need to install a specific version. 've found a working 2.x series version that is better looking, more stable, and much faster than the previous 1.x version. You can get the APK here. Note: The current version of Leanback on Fire may crash if you try to use the "microphone" orb to interact with the 2.x version. Always use the keyboard orb.
    A future version will remove the microphone orb. Unfortunately the latest version is incompatible but an older version works surprisingly well. I've found version 1.0.6.2108324 to be the most stable. You can download the APK here.

Notes:
    - I'll be posted a full guide to the various Android TV APKs that function on Fire TV soon :) - The guide is posed in General
    Alpha 3 is coming soon (hopefully in a few days)... I still have some issues to fix (as is readily apparent in this screenshot). But on the plus side I've figured out how to get notifications working :)

HOzLu8Nl.jpg
    Did you get a chance to check?

I am on FireTV2 with latest update btw

It is working on my end but I'll wipe my system and try a clean startup. This should be (mostly) mitigated in Alpha 3 as Alpha 3 is based on Leanback 1.11.x instead of Leanback 1.1.x. 1.11.x has a complete database overhaul that should speed up the launcher and generally get rid of some of the annoying database glitches that 1.1.x has.

Also, as an update. I've got recommendations sorta working. Images sometimes load, sometimes don't. I won't have a lot of development time until Friday/Saturday though :)
    Latest source code commit was on 23 Feb, 4 months ago.

The Alpha 3 branch was created on 25 Mar, but still contains identical sources of Alpha 2, no new code.

That's a very long construction phase, but let's see what else @rockon999 is up to ;)

Hey all! It's not dead, but I've been without my Fire TV Stick since May (working on it, I promise). Actually Alpha 3 is significantly more stable and has numerous improvements over Alpha 2 and I was using it as a daily driver starting in late April. There are certainly bugs but it is rebased on a much newer leanback launcher and includes a ton of bug fixes. I'm going to try to finish packaging Alpha 3 soon. My actual work has been consuming a lot of development time though, so I won't make any promises. I did get recommendations fully working but it requires old firmware due to Amazon blocking.