[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

Search This thread
due to request, just added openGL builds to the link below
just added 2/27/2012 openGL for sd installs, and emmc installs
HI,
I d/l and installed tnps emmc OpenGL build. I believe based on Eyeballers 2/27 build plus
tnps community extensions.

I was installing over a recent (2/25) tnp ICS build, so I just erased cache and
Dalvik cache (do you really have to erase both). I installed sam's gapps-noinit over
the install.

On first powerup, about a minute of blank screen - seemed forever! Then
'upgrading' my apps.

Based on 10 minutes use:
Stable.
quick test and wifi, gmail, market (d/l chrome), fbreader, newsrob, xda
nova launcher, Dolphin browser all worked.

Chrome was slow to start the first time - give it some time, there is a
license agreement. Chrome crashed on accessing the chrome settings
(as mentioned by others) Only crash I have had so far!

Youtube video, HD doesn't work at all. SD doesn't work well enough to
be useful.

I haven't been following the boot animation discussion, but it looked like
the boot animation was missing.

Peter

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I was installing over a recent (2/25) tnp ICS build, so I just erased cache and
Dalvik cache (do you really have to erase both). I installed sam's gapps-noinit over
the install.

On first powerup, about a minute of blank screen - seemed forever! Then
'upgrading' my apps.
The "upgrading" was the dalvik cache being rebuilt that you cleared. And you really only need to clear dalvik cache, not both.

There are two dalvik caches, one in /cache/dalvik-cache for your system apps and one in /data/dalvik-cache for your installed apps. Clearing dalvik cache with CWM recovery clears both. Clearing just cache will clear just the cache in /cache. But when installing a new nightly, you are installing new system apps only. So you usually don't have to clear the data dalvik. So if you want to speed up booting the first time you boot with a new nightly, just clear cache and only the system cache will rebuild.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
The "upgrading" was the dalvik cache being rebuilt that you cleared. And you really only need to clear dalvik cache, not both.

There are two dalvik caches, one in /cache/dalvik-cache for your system apps and one in /data/dalvik-cache for your installed apps. Clearing dalvik cache with CWM recovery clears both. Clearing just cache will clear just the cache in /cache. But when installing a new nightly, you are installing new system apps only. So you usually don't have to clear the data dalvik. So if you want to speed up booting the first time you boot with a new nightly, just clear cache and only the system cache will rebuild.

Didn't know that, I just habitually cleared both like a drone. :p Thanks for your useful info, as usual.

Mike T

Y

Yoinx

I haven't been following the boot animation discussion, but it looked like
the boot animation was missing.

You should probably be able to grab pretty much any of the bootanimation.zip files (not sure about the ones that are packed as update files though) that have been posted. There was one for the CM9 animation and one for the XDA Developers animation a couple pages back. Just toss the zip into /system/media and change the permissions to rw-r--r-- .They both look pretty good, but the CM9 animation annoyed me a bit when it flashed the screen completely white... especially if that's when the boot process lags a little. Might just be me, but I hate my screen being blindingly white for any period of time.

Also, for anyone who just wants an updated services.jar with the tweaks for V6 enabled... I went ahead and modded one from one of the nightlies I grabbed today (not sure if it was from sam's or eyeballers at this point though, I doubt it matters much since they're likely the same).

It's attached below and goes into system/framework (can be added to the zip before flashing, or placed there after just make sure to fix the permissions on it to rw-r--r--). I've tested it and didn't get any errors like I was with the older one that I was using, ie. usb device errors.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

ibilln

Jan 17, 2012
San Francisco
due to request, just added openGL builds to the link below
just added 2/27/2012 openGL for sd installs, and emmc installs

Ah doan see anything that looks like a 2/27/2012 build at the link. I'd d/l'd the 2/25 build from the 2/26 link ( :) ) yesterday... I must be not understanding your msg. Much I don't understand of course.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

i know, sorry, i fixed that and re-uploaded the builds

Oh, sorry.

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
Okay so I made this ZIP, it should replace your service.jar with the newest one for V6(I also replaced the one in my .rar from my earlier post if you want to re-download), and the bootanimation to the official CM9 one.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Okay so I made this ZIP, it should replace your service.jar with the newest one for V6(I also replaced the one in my .rar from my earlier post if you want to re-download), and the bootanimation to the official CM9 one.
You mentioned how you would include two files in your zip. I am assuming one of them is a tweaked build.prop file. There is a way to modify an existing build.prop on the fly, to delete existing lines and add new ones. Look at my post here and get the attached script:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22640255

Paste all of the files from the script.rar to your install zip you just created replacing those that are there.

Then edit the buildprop.sh file in /tmp/scripts so that it modifies the lines in build.prop you want. The sed line will delete any line that has whatever is within the single quotes. It can be just part of the line quoted and the whole line will be deleted. Don't forget to leave the /d. The echo line appends whatever is in the double quotes to build.prop. Save the edited buildprop.sh and replace the existing one in the zip.

Then when you flash, the files in system that you had in the zip replace the ones on your nook and the script modifies the existing build.prop already in /system.

The only problem with this is the build.prop modify script will not work on SD installs if you use verygreen's installer. His installer ignors scripts built into the zips. But it does work with the Alternate CWM recovery I posted sometime back. See here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22719241

Last edited:
Reactions: mateorod
Y

Yoinx

@leapinlar:

The two files he includes in his rar are most likely the V6 script (in the rar) and the modified services.jar baked into the rom zip. The v6 script edits the build.prop file when it is ran.

*Edit*
I'm not trying to belittle what he's doing or anything. But only 4 or 5 lines need to be edited within the services.jar file when it's built. Sam was saying that he could just bake these into his nightlies (I don't think they affect anything if you don't run the script from how I understood the directions from zep). It may be more practical to do it like this, so that there's not an extra flavor of unofficial nightlies floating around to confuse people more.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
@leapinlar:
Sam was saying that he could just bake these into his nightlies (I don't think they affect anything if you don't run the script from how I understood the directions from zep). It may be more practical to do it like this, so that there's not an extra flavor of unofficial nightlies floating around to confuse people more.
I don't think Sam was suggesting that he bake another nightly with this stuff built in. What he was suggesting was an install zip like I was talking about that he could host on his server so it was available for users to flash if they wanted. But since the services.jar needs to be updated periodically as CM9 evolves, I'm not sure that will work.

Y

Yoinx

I don't think Sam was suggesting that he bake another nightly with this stuff built in. What he was suggesting was an install zip like I was talking about that he could host on his server so it was available for users to flash if they wanted. But since the services.jar needs to be updated periodically as CM9 evolves, I'm not sure that will work.

Yeah, sorry I went back and re-read his post. I thought he was talking about baking it in... I was mistaken, I had read that post late last night while I was trying to figure out why I was getting a USB Device error after using an older services.jar file.

If I knew how to make update zips, I would start putting one up for the file... It only takes a few moments to mod.

Any chance there's a tutorial on making update zips somewhere?

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
I thought about just grabbing all the files edited when I ran V6 and putting them in my zip, but than people would be running my options of V6. One of the main points behind V6 is that you can choose your settings. Me just making it all go in one shot, kind of defeats the purpose. Why would zepplinrox, create this whole thing, if he could just make a zip and be done with it. My zip replaces the service.jar, and adds tnpapadakos' boot animation over the ICS one. You can get the script from mine or mateorod's posts, everything else is up to the user. It isn't hard to do, and it makes a noticeable deference.

Y

Yoinx

grayfoxmg1, the zips you're uploading are full rom repacks.

What everyone's talking about is just doing update zips, so that there aren't extra rom packs going around for 1 or 2 tweaks. The one you're posting up is a full update file. Not really a big deal... just causes there to be extra releases of the same nightly without much added to it. Doing this as an update zip, it could realistically be applied to all nightlies until the services.jar file is modified during a build... Just kinda makes life easier.

I've gone ahead and made an update zip for just the V6 services. I put the current script file inside as well, so that users will have the same script that the modifications go to within the zip.

@leapinlar, thanks for the tip. I had already gotten most of the way figuring out how to create the update by the time I read your post. First time doing it, I was a bit worried about permissions on the file itself though... Figured I would have to set the permissions on it.

This is simply a flashable update zip based on zepplirocks's guide. All credit goes to him for his hard work. It includes a readme and his script. Make sure to extract the script and run it after applying the patch. The services.jar used was from 27feb2012 nightlies, it may cause errors on newer nightlies.

I've tested the file and had no issues with it.

Zep's post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991276

Oh, I just noticed that your zips were 12.x megs not 12x megs... sorry grayfoxmg1... Totally a misreading on my part.

Last edited:

tnpapadakos

Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ah doan see anything that looks like a 2/27/2012 build at the link. I'd d/l'd the 2/25 build from the 2/26 link ( :) ) yesterday... I must be not understanding your msg. Much I don't understand of course.

talking about this one

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 252

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
@leapinlar, thanks for the tip. I had already gotten most of the way figuring out how to create the update by the time I read your post. First time doing it, I was a bit worried about permissions on the file itself though... Figured I would have to set the permissions on it.
If you add this text below to your updater-script in the zip and move the script to /tmp/scripts, it will run the script as part of the flash. Change the name of the .sh file to match yours.

ui_print("Running v6 supercharger...");
package_extract_dir("tmp/scripts", "/tmp/scripts");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/scripts/V6_SuperCharger.sh")
run_program("/tmp/scripts/V6_SuperCharger.sh");

I don't know if the v6 script runs well under a flash, but try it.

Don't worry about permissions in an install zip. (Or on the install zip itself). They get set right on flashing.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Last edited:
Y

Yoinx

If you add this text below to your updater-script in the zip and move the script to /tmp/scripts, it will run the script as part of the flash. Change the name of the .sh file to match yours.

ui_print("Running v6 supercharger...");
package_extract_dir("tmp/scripts", "/tmp/scripts");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/scripts/V6_SuperCharger.sh")
run_program("/tmp/scripts/V6_SuperCharger.sh");

I don't know if the v6 script runs well under a flash, but try it.

Don't worry about permissions in an install zip. They get set right on flashing.

Yeah leapinlar, I was tempted to try and do that... but the V6 script as written requires user interaction to choose settings and such. AFAIK, CWM doesn't have any method for accepting input from the user to accomplish this (ie: keyboard).

Unfortunately, I must have been mistaken about gray's packages... They are updates, not full packs.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
talking about this one
Some of the confusion between Sam's nightlies and Eyeballers's is they have different dates for the same build. Sam's are dated the night they are built and Eyeballer's are dated the next morning (after midnight). So the same build for Sam might be 2-27 and Eyeballer 2-28.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/25/12, this project is officially discontinued. All information below is for archival purposes only and will not be supported henceforth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION
    Now that Fattire has lifted his request that everyone build their own zips, I've decided to make available the nightly builds I've been generating. I've got an OS X system cranking out a new build every night at midnight, so there will always be an up to date zip available!

Credit for this rom goes to Fattire, Dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, arcee and the the other hard working people over in the development thread, as well as the the CyanogenMod developers and anyone who's done work on the Nook Color. I wish I could list everyone by name but there's so many great people who've made contributions I can't even begin to do so. I'm just building zips from the source; we'd be nowhere without the contributions these great developers have made to this community.

As nighty builds, these zips may not always work. I'll try to remove any zip found to be broken, but you know the drill: All files provided here are to be installed at your own risk. I'm making built zips available, but no warranty is expressed or implied by the hosting of said zips. I'll provide what support I'm able to, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potentially unknown bugs. If you have questions, you should check the development thread or try the #NookColor IRC channnel on irc.freenode.net.

As posted by Fattire slightly further down, anyone feeling adventurous should definitely consider building from source rather than downloading the built zips. Here's his two cents:
    Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough

However, if you're not quite sold on setting up a development environment but you still want to try the goodness that is Ice Cream Sandwich, proceeed on down to the...

DOWNLOADS
    Without further ado: The Ice Cream Sandwich zips!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nightly Builds.

The rom does not include the google apps, so you can/should flash the lastest version of those, which is available here.

Finally, I've hosted a few flashable zip files to make small tweaks to the rom. These are all located in the misc. folder on my server. Below is an explanation of each zip and its purpose.

MISC FOLDER INFO

If you notice that some apps are missing from the market, this may be due to the fact that these ICS builds for the nook do not include support for apps which request phone permissions. Although this ideally would be fixed by developers not requesting phone permissions for their app unless it absolutely needs to be phone-specific, you can also fix it by flashing the telephony-permissions-fix.zip file located in the misc folder. You will likely want to flash this file immediately after flashing your rom.

Secondly, if you prefer the old bootanimation from the galaxy nexus, you can also flash the fix-bootanimation.zip located in the Misc. folder, which replace the new CM9 animation it with Homer_S_xda's fixed version. Thanks to Homer for the fix!

NOTES ON INSTALLING TO SD
    I've fixed Verygreen's sd installer image to work with ICS -- you should no longer have to flash SP1 first, or rename the gapps to gapps-gb. If you test out this image, please let me know how it works for you! More recently, Leapinlar has stepped up in helping to fix the image further, increasing its size to allow for the larger size of the new nightlies. Thanks to him for his help -- It's available for download here. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me to figure out what needed to be fixed -- in the words of HacDan, "He's not just super helpful, he's a genius". Once you've got the new image, you can use Verygreen's original instructions from his thread on SD Installs, replacing "cm7" with "cm9" where necessary.

IN CONCLUSION
    Please remember to thank the developers working on this project, as they've done seriously awesome things for us in an amazingly short amount of time. If you have questions/comments specifically regarding my zips, please post them here, but if you have more general questions regarding Ice Cream Sandwich on the NC you may want to head on over to the development thread. Finally, if you're really enjoying the rom I'd strongly recommend that you try setting up a build environment and building your own zips -- even though I'm making prebuilt ones available they're no substitute for the experience gained by getting familiar with the build process yourself, and Fattire has done a great job of making it an extremely accessible and rewarding project.
    It seems that a while back my build system broke for some reason, and I just haven't ever had time to focus on getting it back in working order -- I've started a new job and am going back to school, so I think at this point I'm just going to officially discontinue this project and leave you guys in Eyeballer's well qualified hands. Thanks to everyone who used my builds -- this was a fun project for me and I hope you all enjoyed it too.
    And you can build too!

Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough
    So I've fallen off the forum a bit in recent weeks/months, but it's summer now so I'm back! In the interest of trying to bring this thread back up to date with the new developments, I've FINALLY gotten around to making a change I'd been meaning to make for a long time now -- my builds will now clobber after uploading each nightly to the server, so every one will be a clean scratch build. Hopefully this'll get rid of any issues that may have been kicking around from reusing the code.

EDIT: I also want to thank those helpful posters -- I have leapinlar primarily in mind but there's too many to name individually -- who have been tirelessly providing user support and keeping this thread alive. You guys are a great help to the community!
    I'm sorry, but the poster who comes into a ROM build post for the Nook Color in the Nook Color development section of XDA and says they have dumped it for a Fire because the Fire is faster (duh it has a dual core processor and was released a year later than the Color), is the troll.

Mods you can remove this whole string of off-topic posts started by the troll.

Done... Carry on folks!