Nexus 7 BAD screen flicker!

Search This thread

Cryingmoose

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you for your work NASCAR. However we still need an official response from Google. We also need the Android sites to admit this.

Steps to reproduce for ALL tablets.

1. Weak WiFi signal.
2. Backlight dimmed to under 30%.
3. A program that constantly accesses the net. Such as Google Maps.

All Nexus 7 units will experience this issue. There is no fix until a newer hardware revision is made. Again, that will take a few weeks. Screwing us over with limited RMA timeline.

Mine has it(futureshop 16gig) and I got a friend(play store 16gig) to try this, and he said it caused the flickering. Of course now he's pissed that he knows about this. "Ignorance is bliss"

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
That tells me this is a hardware problem!!!

FML..

I think the flicker seems worse initially because you're browsing the Play market and adding apps to your tablet.
All of this is related to wifi and possibly writing to SD card simultaneously.

I noticed it reading news, and wifi was (presumably) idle. I'll try tonight with wifi off, idle, busy, etc, and post numbers.. I got mine at Staples last Saturday, not exactly sure which version of Android it came with but it almost immediately wanted to update once it was on wifi.

potentiality

Jul 24, 2012
Hmm I get it even without Net on though it does seem to happen more with internet accessing programs.. However play books doesn't suffer at all?? Maybe because the white background you can't see it??! Maybe it is indeed software?

Cryingmoose

Aug 30, 2011
I called Google and told them about mu "screen flickering, screen raised on left side, and touch not always registering" the tech-girl said "That is a very common, uh, not very common just a known hardware error".

So back to futureshop it goes...

kenyee

Dec 11, 2008
Hmm I get it even without Net on though it does seem to happen more with internet accessing programs.. However play books doesn't suffer at all?? Maybe because the white background you can't see it??! Maybe it is indeed software?

Apps still do stuff in the background even if you're not using them. Because of this, you'll see an occasional flicker...
You see it the most easily w/ a white background...

And FWIW, I think the screen watching the Transformers movie looks great. Using screen test apps, you can see that the whites/blacks are crushed (last 10 values) so there's room for improvement if there's a LUT in the Tegra3 chip...

Last edited:
Reactions: slimdizzy

slimdizzy

Sep 2, 2008
UPDATE

New device on the way for me. Called support, told them the issue, email with instructions, etc. Let's see if new device has same problem. Took a pic of my current box label and will compare numbers so I'll have a lot number or other identifiable number if the new unit has no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

qwerty123321

Jul 15, 2012
So I'm gonna retrun my second defective Nexus 7..and I'm gonna wait for the second or 3rd batch and hopefully this will be fixed.

freemeech

Sep 3, 2009
Atlanta, Ga
I returned mine because the screen was lifting and the guy asked if I wanted a new one...I promptly said " Hell No!" And got my money back ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

qwerty123321

Jul 15, 2012
I returned mine because the screen was lifting and the guy asked if I wanted a new one...I promptly said " Hell No!" And got my money back ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

lol,in my area I can't even get a new one!! it took me 3 days just to find this second Nexus 7..That's how fast they go around where I live..

pclov3r

Jul 9, 2012
CA, USA
So is there a chance it's a software issue?

Now it looks like a Hardware issue.

I don't want to replace mine now and get one with the same problem. Still didn't root mine yet thankfully.

qwerty123321

Jul 15, 2012
So is there a chance it's a software issue?

Now it looks like a Hardware issue.

I don't want to replace mine now and get one with the same problem. Still didn't root mine yet thankfully.
I'm 99% sure it is software related since Screen Filter manages to "fix" the problem.
However, If I were you I'd return it..
I've had to return 2 nexus 7 tablets thus far and I'm gonna wait for the next batch of nexus 7 cuz the current ones are just too unstable.

shadow82x

Jul 25, 2012
ugh..this screen flickering is my only issue and id really like to avoid sending it in. Is it a good chance its software related????

pclov3r

Jul 9, 2012
CA, USA
I'm 99% sure it is software related since Screen Filter manages to "fix" the problem.
However, If I were you I'd return it..
I've had to return 2 nexus 7 tablets thus far and I'm gonna wait for the next batch of nexus 7 cuz the current ones are just too unstable.

I think I'm going to wait as well. I don't want to waste time and get another one with the same issue. Mine is perfect expect for the screen Flickr issue.

Will try that app and see what happens.

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Yep. As soon as I turned my WiFi off, the flickering stopped. And when I turned it back on, the flickering continued for as long as there seemed to be data transfer. So I guess my hypothesis was not correct. Now the issue is whether to return it. Who is to say that the next batch will have the problem fixed?

pclov3r

Jul 9, 2012
CA, USA
Yep. As soon as I turned my WiFi off, the flickering stopped. And when I turned it back on, the flickering continued for as long as there seemed to be data transfer. So I guess my hypothesis was not correct. Now the issue is whether to return it. Who is to say that the next batch will have the problem fixed?

I would wait until there is tablets with it known to be fixed.

Otherwise you could just be wasting your time.

hopefully a driver update can just fix it all together.

Last edited:

potentiality

Jul 24, 2012
Can someone get this. Set your brightness to absolute 0 ( lowest position)and see if its still happening. Tonight It only seems to be happening between 1-30%.

This may explain why some people still can't see it following the previous directions. It also may still be hardware as the flickering we see is the backlight going to absolute minimum then recovering. Since at O it already is the lowest power draw, the electronics governing the brightness percentage aren't in use.

felix_tung

Oct 24, 2009
Noticed something new. Anyone try this and confirm please. Watching a movie for about 5 minutes. Note the black border of movie. Now go back to home screen or any picture. You will see black shade for when movie borders are. There's retention of black on mine. Anyone notices same thing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

igjoe

Jul 20, 2012
Noticed something new. Anyone try this and confirm please. Watching a movie for about 5 minutes. Note the black border of movie. Now go back to home screen or any picture. You will see black shade for when movie borders are. There's retention of black on mine. Anyone notices same thing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I can't confirm personally, but there is a known ghosting issue with the Nexus 7. I returned mine due to flickering before I could test for this though.

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
The flickering is well documented with Tegra devices. I honestly wouldn't return it for that just yet. Wait for drivers to come to fruition and hope Google push out an OTA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Discovery

If you have a very strong WiFi signal (All bars lit up) the Nexus 7 will not flicker.

That is why the flicker went away on my Nexus 7 last night. I was sitting in a strong signal location.
    When I went upstairs I had a weaker signal and that is when the flicker was noticeable again.
    Today at work, I connected my newest Nexus 7 to my WiFi hotspot on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 which has a nice strong signal and that is why I thought I had a fixed one.
    When I changed my WiFi to a weak network and only had 1 bar, the flicker was present.

I connected my old Nexus 7 (that had the flicker problem) to my BlackBerry WiFi hotspot and the flicker was gone.

So, that tells me the WiFi chip in the Nexus 7 is a cheap piece of crapolla. :mad:

Can someone with the flicker problem confirm that they do not have a strong WiFi signal when it is flickering?
    It seems that on shutdown /system/bin/sensors-config will overwrite /data/lightsensor/AL3010_Config.ini. It must be pulling this data from somewhere else, like a special spot in flash memory where the factory stores the cal data. This implies that my factory calibration is borked, and it's not exactly a software problem.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Here's how to change the light calibration forever:

Code:
    su
    mkdir /data/calibration
    mount -t vfat /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/PER /data/calibration
    echo 880 > /data/calibration/lightsensor/AL3010_Config.ini
    umount /data/calibration
    rmdir /data/calibration
    What box info do we need? I took a pic of mine before I returned my flickering 16gb version. I'm waiting to buy another one until I can confirm there's a way to tell it's a new non-flickering version.

Mine has a label on both ends.
    One is English and the other is French

On the English one there is a Customer P/N a P/N and a Check Number.
    Lets see if those are the same for all users.

On the one I just picked up at Best Buy in Canada:
    Customer P/N = NEXUS7 ASUS - 1B16 - CB
    P/N = AB NEXUS7 ASUS 18/T3DL/16/1G/Y
    Check Number 0747

Update
    So far no flicker on this new one. Doing the same things I did on the other one that flickers bad.
    One difference is they changed the initial start up screens a bit. Now after entering your gmail account info it asks for a credit card before giving you the $25.00 Play Store credit.
    My old one automatically applied the credit and sent me an e-mail confirming this. No credit card info required.

New Discovery
    If you have a very strong WiFi signal (All bars lit up) the Nexus 7 will not flicker.
    That is why the flicker went away on my Nexus 7 last night. I was sitting in a strong signal location.
    When I went upstairs I had a weaker signal and that is when the flicker was noticeable again.
    Today at work, I connected my newest Nexus 7 to my WiFi hotspot on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 which has a nice strong signal and that is why I thought I had a fixed one.
    When I changed my WiFi to a weak network and only had 1 bar, the flicker was present.

I connected my old Nexus 7 to my BlackBerry WiFi hotspot and the flicker was gone.

So, that tells me the WiFi chip in the Nexus 7 is a cheap piece of crapolla. :mad:

Here is the new setup screen:
    Setup.png

This is new, used to just give the $25.00 credit automatically, now you need to provide a Credit Card before getting the $25.00
    Google%20Play%20Credit.png
    Thank you for your work NASCAR. However we still need an official response from Google. We also need the Android sites to admit this.

Steps to reproduce for ALL tablets.

1. Weak WiFi signal.
    2. Backlight dimmed to under 30%.
    3. A program that constantly accesses the net. Such as Google Maps.

All Nexus 7 units will experience this issue. There is no fix until a newer hardware revision is made. Again, that will take a few weeks. Screwing us over with limited RMA timeline.
    My xperia x8, x10 mini, x10 mini pro, xperia arc had the same problems initially. They all were fixed every after software update.

Even Cyanogenmod has settings tweak to reduce flickering when set in low brightness.

I really believe it is caused by software. Backlighting LEDs are controlled by software via pwm. The pwm may be conking out and not producing enough voltage when there is high current draw from the wifi. But it don't do that when watching videos where the most current draw should be taking place. Probably because of the Tegra 3 energy-saving feature when watching videos, but I really can't tell. I am pretty sure they'll come up with a fix either set hysteresis not to adjust logarithmically, reduce wifi tx/rx power maybe, adjust voltage to pwm, etc. There are many ways to skin the cat so to speak.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app