Search This thread

djrbliss

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2011
Last edited:

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
Ill be sending a donation after work. Just need to know where. To you personally or to the phone fund in the other thread.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

NetworkPIMP

Feb 22, 2007
Columbus, IN
do not release this yet...

I think you should wait to release this until after the Bionic has been out for a few days so they don't/can't patch it closed before it ships - I suspect whatever process you used will work there as well.

Reactions: anuraj1

Pokelover980

Dec 25, 2010
You're my hero right now :D If I had anything to donate to you I certainly would, for now all I can give is praise for your wonderful work though. If I get anything extra though I'll send it your way.

whoopsiedaisy

Dec 10, 2010
I think you should wait to release this until after the Bionic has been out for a few days so they don't/can't patch it closed before it ships - I suspect whatever process you used will work there as well.

noway jose, its too late in the game for moto to patch it, the best they could do is release an update shortly after :\ besides, it only seems fair they wait a little while, we all did! -___-

rweb

Mar 21, 2008

It's absolutely up to Dan to decide about a publication, but he is a security guy, I don't think it fits in his philosophy to keep something hidden, secret.
Keep in mind, exploits can be used on malicious ways as well. So I always back publications of vulnerabilities and thus enabling developers to fix them. It gives us more secure devices.
Otherwise said, I do not blame Motorola/Verizon for fixing all the vulnerabilities, I blame them for locking down devices!

And, like another one said before, it is highly unlikely Bionic will have a patch for this. Bionic users will benefit from this exploit, I'm sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions for rooting: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2011/08/25/rooting-the-droid-3/

As promised, I have successfully rooted the Droid 3. I still have never physically touched a Droid 3 phone.

If you appreciate this work, feel free to donate to KrazyKrivda so I can get a phone out of this deal:
    https://www.wepay.com/donate/KrazyKrivda

Pic:
    http://twitter.com/#!/KrazyKrivda/status/106765804560855040/photo/1

Enjoy,
    Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
    eerything seems to have worked i put in all the commands and rebooted when told and at the end i got a root prompt i installed superuser and it told me the binary isnt installed so it made an update.zip but i cant extract it to put it where it goes, can i use the stock recovery i doubt it as its not signed by moto

dled root checker and it told me i dont have root

suggestions? my gut is telling me i just need to get the binary in the right place

I just grabed su from /system/xbin on my Droid 1 and Superuser.apk from wherever it was on my Droid1 and used adb to push them to /sdcard on my Droid3. After getting root at ADB, I did:

mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin
    chmod 4777 /system/xbin/su
    mount -oremount,ro /dev/block/system /system

And then using a file explorer, I installed the Superuser.apk after allowing sofrware from unknown sources.
    as root, with the su binary (from another phone) in root of your your internal memory:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/system /system
    cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 su

edit: haha beaten to it
    Anyone still looking, here's a link to the instructions as well as su and superuser.apk

http://channelandroid.com/2011/08/25/droid3-with-superuser-and-su/

@patfactorx are you sure you followed the first set instructions verbatim?

First you need to

Code:
    mv /data/local/12m /data/local/12m.bak
    ln -s /data /data/local/12m

Then reboot. Then you could issue the following commands:

Code:
    rm /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local/12m.bak /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop