[R&D] my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II shows LTE bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
Guys, neither the Telus or T-Mobile radios will work, if you wanted to even test LTE, you'd need to find someone who has an LTE phone on one of those bands, and flash a skyrocket radio.

SGS2X

Nov 12, 2011
Toronto
I mentioned this before but didn't get a reply :p but in that thread where i posted, someone before me said that they were just there but had no function.. but if we can flash a rogers/at&t modem to check, that would be crazy :eek:

RuizGT

Jul 16, 2008
Ft. Worth, TX
Hmm, I'll have to call to get my sim unlocked and start on this tomorrow, I guess I just need to Odin the modem from a skyrocket onto my phone and pop my att sim in, correct? That and turn off auto rotation ASAP, heh.

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
flashing incorrect modem may or may not result in bricked phone
be warned.

Not nessecarily, I've flashed T-Mo modems before, and nothing.

Yup, and itll never work on att lte anyway. IF it is lte capable it would have to be on the tmobile network. Were probably a year or two from tmobile deploying lte.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Actually, it has Band 4 and Band 17, which is what AT&T uses for LTE, so it should work with a Skyrocket modem unless it's locked somewhere in the hardware.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Not nessecarily, I've flashed T-Mo modems before, and nothing.

Actually, it has Band 4 and Band 17, which is what AT&T uses for LTE, so it should work with a Skyrocket modem unless it's locked somewhere in the hardware.

I'll be waiting for someone to try and see if it works. Let's place some bets. I say no ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
you obviously didn't read my post

Yes I did, and Samsung phones aren't like HTC phones.

Flashing a bad or wrong radio won't brick your phone, since it doesn't touch the SBL (where download mode).

All that would happened is that you would have no radio access, which is easily fixed by flashing back a T-Mobile radio.

And our 2 phones are literally exactly alike, if I can flash a T-Mobile radio, you should have no problem flashing a Skyrocket radio.

kikiodead

Feb 21, 2011
Milton
I'm really excited to see if this works. I tipped of android central to see if we cant get some spotlight on this. Good find man (;

RuizGT

Jul 16, 2008
Ft. Worth, TX
Called in to get the unlock code, I'll post up when I get it and get the phone unlocked. Hopefully I don't have an issue getting the screen to enter the unlock code to pull up like some people were having.

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
I'm really excited to see if this works. I tipped of android central to see if we cant get some spotlight on this. Good find man (;

Yeah, we need them to shed some light on this. :)

OMFG I so wish our phone does have LTE hardware. That would make our phone AWESOME!!

Long as it's the same radio as the Skyrocket, then it's software locked, which flashing a Skyrocket radio would fix.

Only way to lock the LTE radio would be for Samsung to ask Qualcomm to lock it in the hardware, which I doubt they did.

Called in to get the unlock code, I'll post up when I get it and get the phone unlocked. Hopefully I don't have an issue getting the screen to enter the unlock code to pull up like some people were having.

Just put a different SIM (not the carrier SIM) in the phone, and it should pull up, I don't see why it wouldn't.

I flashed the Rogers Skyrocket modem since it not RAT locked to my Telus T989D, seems to work fine. Just throwing it out there for people who think this will brick, it will not.

I think the people who think it'll brick used to be HTC users, because flashing a bad radio onto a HTC phone will **** your phone up.

Thankfully, Samsung doesn't associate the radio with anything in the bootloader, so we are fine. :)

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
I think the people who think it'll brick used to be HTC users, because flashing a bad radio onto a HTC phone will **** your phone up.

Thankfully, Samsung doesn't associate the radio with anything in the bootloader, so we are fine. :)

Yah, Radios made me wary as well since i used to be htc.

Anyways, flashing the rogers radio, i can now select LTE bands and it sticks. instead of flopping back to automatic.

So i assume its seeing the lte firmware included in the modem flashed to the modem partitions.

Rogers doesn't have LTE in my hick ass town though, which is why i am Telus in the first place since they do have HSPA+ here

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
Yah, Radios made me wary as well since i used to be htc.

Anyways, flashing the rogers radio, i can now select LTE bands and it sticks. instead of flopping back to automatic.

So i assume its seeing the lte firmware included in the modem flashed to the modem partitions.

Rogers doesn't have LTE in my hick ass town though, which is why i am Telus in the first place since they do have HSPA+ here

So curious to hear if this works. I'd try it myself but T-Mobile wont unlock my phone until 90 days have passed as I am not on a contract with them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you compile c code, it normally leaves some instances of the source path you compiled in. For example when i compile my kernel, if i open the zimage in a hex editor i can find the directory patch to soem of the C files used to compile it embedded right into the compiled binary. with that said...

If you open the modem from the skyrocket and the sgsII tmobile and telus modems you will find like this for examople

"offset_request: %d not found in tx scripts rfa\rf\rfc\mdm9x00_rfc8853_a\src\rfc_mdm9x00_8853_a_gsm"

So lets see here, all 3 devices modems are compiled from mdm9x00 source trees

MDM9200™:

* Single-mode modem
    * 4G(LTE) data rates of up to 100 Mbit/s with full backward compatibility to Dual-Carrier HSPA+
    * GPS functionality, including support for Assisted GPS

MDM9600™:

* Multi-mode modem
    * 4G (LTE) data rates of up to 100 Mbit/s with full backward compatibility to Dual-Carrier HSPA+
    * EV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B support
    * GPS functionality, including support for Assisted GPS

So this means that the MDM chipset for all 4 devices skyrockets and sgsII's alike MUST be MDM9200.

So there you have it folks.

Lazy engineers and programmers dont play with source tree folder names it could make for a costly mistake in production, so the only feasable option for this source tree showing up int the mdm.bin is the fact that its in fact the MDM9200 that these devices all use.

Further more flashing a MDM 8220 modem to a 9x00 chipset would result in the radio NOT functioning at all as they are a different chipset and the assembly code for them would not be the same. Assembly code for those of you who don't know id hardware specific programming code used to write binaries for embedded devices among other things.

thats where the amss.bin that our modems get flash comes in. thats part of the radio it goes hand in hand to drive the modem hard ware with the mdm.bin

Does any one want to give me a high five for doing more research?

And this post is meant to be as least confrontational as possible, but ive already had another user act like they knew what they were talking about in here AND was rude about it to boot.
    tested today and my rogers s2 LTE works on wind 3g with the T-Mobile radio. (Uses the same aws band) so it appears we have a software locked pentaband device indeed. Which is fantastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
    Topic cleaned & reset

non productive posts removed

please don't feed the trolls

thanks
    I flashed the Rogers Skyrocket modem since it not RAT locked to my Telus T989D, seems to work fine. Just throwing it out there for people who think this will brick, it will not.
    that would be awesome!

Here you go, Telus Kj3 modem

http://www.multiupload.com/WC4YN5DQ18

Flash with CWM

No need for concern on your kernel for these modems.