[Guide] Alternate to Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi Network for your Android Device

Search This thread

Aadilnz

Apr 1, 2012
Queensland
Good that you fixed yourself.

Also, it not true that you need another wifi adapter when you want to create a Virtual WiFi when connected to actual WiFi connection.

And what you showed in screen shot is actually quite normal.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yea that screenshot had nothing to do with my problem, it was just the "dial up" connection created by Nokia PC Suite refused to share, a manual one had to be created.

I probably can't use virtual wifi when it's connected to an actual wifi because the "actual wifi" is also an ad-hoc network. I always get one of the error messages that you describe in your original post and re-enabling the wifi adapter doesn't help, anyway it's no big deal, all is working now, thanks for your help!

bdesja1

Jan 3, 2012
Seoul
Since the Virtual WiFi adapter is integrated under OS level you shouldn't be having any issues with regard to stability.

Also sorry that the particular step was confusing. I'll edit it and make it more pointy.

Can you look at it now and tell me if its understandable? :p

Yeah, perhaps a little better. We'll only know if you get no other confusion on that point (but perhaps it was only me, anyway). Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I've created a GUI solution to your method. It is lightweight (less than 200kb) and works only with a click :)
Download : sdrv.ms/TmzOfU

Thanks, ggfairy. I set up the wifi already using the original guide and was tired of having to go into the steps to set it up on each reboot (actually my technophobe girlfriend was the one having issues). It seems I can use your GUI in conjunction with the original setup and have it set as an admin straight away. Good solution! :good:

arfasyrf

Nov 11, 2012
jasin
if anyone kindly help me.
whenever i click ok on after sharing the connection i got this pop up window.

i'm using android 4.2.2 while my laptop have two wifi router and the internet is from the usb wifi router.

Attachments

• SFSA.png
    SFSA.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 136

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
if anyone kindly help me.
whenever i click ok on after sharing the connection i got this pop up window.

i'm using android 4.2.2 while my laptop have two wifi router and the internet is from the usb wifi router.
I guess your setup is as below:

2 wifi router - connected to laptop, out of which 1 is connected to laptop with LAN and another one is connected through USB. You are getting the internet through USB?

And by looking at screen shot all I can say is that you have put a static IP address to your LAN connection which is actually required for internet sharing.
Actually, on which adapter were you trying to share the internet?

Reactions: arfasyrf

arfasyrf

Nov 11, 2012
jasin
I guess your setup is as below:

2 wifi router - connected to laptop, out of which 1 is connected to laptop with LAN and another one is connected through USB. You are getting the internet through USB?

And by looking at screen shot all I can say is that you have put a static IP address to your LAN connection which is actually required for internet sharing.
Actually, on which adapter were you trying to share the internet?

ok. i managed to make the ad hoc works. when i try connecting to the wifi from another laptop. the internet works. but on my phone. the internet doesnt works while the wifi is connected.

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
ok. i managed to make the ad hoc works. when i try connecting to the wifi from another laptop. the internet works. but on my phone. the internet doesnt works while the wifi is connected.
That's weird because if internet is coming in another device connected through virtual wifi, then even the phone should have the internet. In your phone, go to settings - wifi settings - advanced to check the IP address. It should be similar to 192.168.127.xxx

arfasyrf

Nov 11, 2012
jasin
That's weird because if internet is coming in another device connected through virtual wifi, then even the phone should have the internet. In your phone, go to settings - wifi settings - advanced to check the IP address. It should be similar to 192.168.127.xxx

this is the ip from the virtual wifi.
but when i check on my phone ip address it show 192.168.173.248

Attachments

• Capturhhbe.PNG
    Capturhhbe.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 108

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
this is the ip from the virtual wifi.
but when i check on my phone ip address it show 192.168.173.248
Sorry. In my previous message I typed 127 instead of 137.

So in your phone too it should be similar to 192.168.137.xxx

In phone try setting a static IP to 192.168.137.10

Actually this should have happened auto as dynamic IP. But since you tell another laptop is fine under virtual wifi try the above static IP in phone.

arfasyrf

Nov 11, 2012
jasin
Sorry. In my previous message I typed 127 instead of 137.

So in your phone too it should be similar to 192.168.137.xxx

In phone try setting a static IP to 192.168.137.10

Actually this should have happened auto as dynamic IP. But since you tell another laptop is fine under virtual wifi try the above static IP in phone.

still the same. the wifi is connected but the internet is broken.

edit : my bad. forget to shared the internet. now it is working. thanks a lot!

Last edited:

tusharghuge

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks a Ton

U just gave me what i was yearning for..as my laptop was supporting my bros andro..not mine:good:

mansoo ali

Mar 13, 2013
extra problem

Quick note:

For those who are not able to solve the issue mentioned in troubleshoot 2 in guide above here is an checkup. With admin rights in command prompt type as below:

netsh wlan show drivers

After you press enter you will get a list of line items. There check for "Hosted network support: Yes"

If it is mentioned as "No" then you need to update your wifi adapter drivers.

Thank you for this very useful post! I have completed all the above steps. But i am having an extra problem. my phone connects with this virtual network that is giving full signals but the connection speed is too slow to open anything on my phone. i checked the status of this "Virtual Miniport Adapter" which i just created with your help, and it says that "IPv4 connectivity: no internet access / IPv6 connectivity: no internet access". Please guide further how to get actual speed on this network!

Noob :p

Glowing_Potato

Oct 16, 2012
Share the internet to the adapter properly to fix it.

I did exactly as this.

e. Now identify the one which is connected to your LAN network where internet is accessed (this can be LAN adapter, WiFi adapter or even dialup connection in case of tethering)
f. Double click on that connection identified under step (e)
g. Click on "Properties"
h. Click on "Sharing" tab
i. Tick on "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection"
j. Under the drop down list for "Home networking connection" select "Wireless Network Connection 2" [or which ever it is in your case]
k. Click on OK and close all the dialogue boxes

My phone CAN connect but the wireless indicator stays grey and can't access internet.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

I got it!!!!!

My Wireless Network Connection 2 had wrong DNS server address! It is all fine now!

Thanks for this amazing guide!

neown.com

Oct 12, 2012
Getting "The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is"

2 - Insufficient resources error
You might also get an error stating as below when you try the "Step 3":

This can happen if the Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter is not working properly. Try the below steps to resolve it:
a. Under network connections, if you already have a Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter then make sure its not disabled. If yes enable it back by right clicking and selecting enable.

b. OR - if you don't find the WiFi Miniport adapter at all then do as below:
i. Open Run and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter
ii. Now you will get Device Manager window. Here expand the Network Adapters tab.
iii. Identify the actual WiFi adapter and right click on it and select disable.
iv. Now right click on it again and select enable
After this the adapter settings will have rested and the "Step 3" should be a no problem.

Hi bro,
I getting this "The hosted network couldn't be started.
The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."
error while after troubleshooting. I don see any virtual wifi adapter in my network and sharing center also in device manager. I used Microsoft
Hotfix to fix this prob bt it in vain. Plz give a solution. I need to upgrade my android 2.3.6 version. I am using win7 and hp dv 1000 laptop.

Last edited:

akteni

Jun 16, 2010
thanks!

You saved a lot of lifes here. My padfone 2 has edge connection in US so It was very painful to use it at work.

Anyways,
Some android devices may have automatic IP issue. I have seen that this issue addressed in earlier comments. This happened for I9500 device but worked when I changed to static IP.
It works for Padfone 2 perfectly though.

Thanks again.

j0n7y

Sep 30, 2013
Sharing problem

Hey guys!

First post so bear with me!

I'm in spain at a hotel and trying to share my laptops connection (wired) so that I can use my phone(s) and all the other gear.

I've followed the steps as best I could however am unable to obtain IPs. I am VERY sure this is because I have not shared the connection correctly however when ticking the share this connection on Ethernet1 I am not given a dropdown box to select the virtual tunnel but instead I get a text box with my wireless adapters name in it. I am unable to type in the text box so cannot share it. Am I missing something? Sorry to be such a pain!

Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Introduction:
    -This guide is for those who do not have a Wi-Fi router in their network. The guide will teach you how to access the internet in your Android device, where by the internet is only accessible in your Laptop though LAN.

-Before when Galaxy S2 had Gingerbread, there was a modified WPA_Supplicant here. However it does not work with ICS and above and no one else have come up with a updated mod.

-However if you have Windows 7/8 [does not work in XP] then you can try setting up a Virtual Wi-Fi adapter which works as good as a WI-Fi access point.

-There are many other ways like Connectify and other softwares, but they have not worked for and more over why to bloat the system when there is a native feature support in PC.

-There is another alternate called reverse tethering. But that will require root and it only works for me sometimes. More like when I get lucky. You can try this app or this guide.

2. Requirements:
    a. Windows 7/8
    b. Administrative access for Windows PC
    c. Wi-Fi enabled Laptop or an Desktop with Wi-Fi adapter

3. Steps:
    Step 1: Press start and type cmd and right click on it click on "Run as Administrator"

Step 2: Type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NAME key=PASSWORD and press enter
    Note: NAME is the name which you want to give for the WI-Fi accesspoint and PASSWORD is the security key which is required for accessing the Wi-Fi AP in Android device. Also the password should be at least 8 character long.

Now wait till you get three sets of line confirming the command as attached in screen shot. It sometimes may take around a minute

Step 3: Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press enter. You will again get a confirmation message. By this step the new Wi-Fi access point will be broadcasting and when you scan it in you Android device it will appear in the list
    1cmd.png

Step 4: There is one more step to make the internet pass through the newly created Wi-Fi access point. The internet should be shared via LAN adapter. To do that follow the steps as below:
    a. Start -> Run (or press Windows key + R)
    b. Type ncpa.cpl and press enter
    c. You will see Network Connections now
    d. Here you will find a new network adapter called "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter". This one is created when the "Step 3" is done as above. Note down the connection name. In my case it is "Wireless Network Connection 2"
    e. Now identify the one which is connected to your LAN network where internet is accessed (this can be LAN adapter, WiFi adapter or even dialup connection in case of tethering)
    f. Double click on that connection identified under step (e)
    g. Click on "Properties"
    h. Click on "Sharing" tab
    i. Tick on "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection"
    j. Under the drop down list for "Home networking connection" select "Wireless Network Connection 2" [or which ever it is in your case]
    k. Click on OK and close all the dialogue boxes
    [
    2sharing.png

Step 5: Now scan for Wi-Fi in your Android device and you can find the Wi-Fi with whatever SSID you created. Connect to it and enjoy the LAN internet in your device.

Note: If you wish to turn off the Wi-Fi AP you created then you can type netsh wlan stop hostednetwork in the command prompt and press enter. The next time you restart your PC you can directly do the "Step 3" above and you are good to go.

Also you if you wish to change the SSID and/or password later do only the "Step 2" and "Step 3" as above.

4. Troubleshooting:

1 - Wi-Fi is not turned on in PC
    You might get an error stating as below when you try the "Step 3":
    3atb1.png

The hosted network couldn't be started.
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

This is because the WI-Fi adapter is turned off in your PC. Just turn it on which usually will be a physical button or a function key in your keyboard. Now try "Step 3" again and you shouldn't be getting the error.

2 - Insufficient resources error
    You might also get an error stating as below when you try the "Step 3":
    3btb2.png

The hosted network couldn't be started.
    The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

This can happen if the Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter is not working properly. Try the below steps to resolve it:
    a. Under network connections, if you already have a Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter then make sure its not disabled. If yes enable it back by right clicking and selecting enable.

b. OR - if you don't find the WiFi Miniport adapter at all then do as below:
    i. Open Run and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter
    ii. Now you will get Device Manager window. Here expand the Network Adapters tab.
    iii. Identify the actual WiFi adapter and right click on it and select disable.
    iv. Now right click on it again and select enable
    3ctb21.png

After this the adapter settings will have rested and the "Step 3" should be a no problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my second guide here in XDA. Hope it was useful and helping you enjoy the internet in your device. Do post your comments here if you have tried it out. Also do not hesitate to post here for any queries.

I also request you to look at my first guide Access Windows PC files directly from Android through Wi-Fi.

Thank you for reading.

Change log:
    v0.1 [07-Oct-12]
    -Initial guide
    I've created a GUI solution to your method. It is lightweight (less than 200kb) and works only with a click :)
    Download : sdrv.ms/TmzOfU
    -Reserved for guide extension-
    i was able to create the virtual AP using the steps provided by the OP. However, my phone will pass authentication, will show obtaining IP address and then it won't connect. Then the status will show as Saved, Secured. It will reconnect and then a message will appear the says "Attention! network disabled. Poor connection."

anyone has any ideas how to fix this?
    Well looks like the device is having problem in taking the IP address. You sure have shared the internet from LAN properties?

1. Make sure that virtual wifi adapter created has an IP address. System automatically sets it to 192.168.137.1.

2. You can try is try setting the IP address manually in your S2 to 192.168.137.xxx, anything except 192.168. 137.1 and xxx can't be greater than 225.

Now this would skip the" obtaining IP address" when connecting.

Bookmarked, will try out ASAP! :)
    Do provide the feedback here :)