Search This thread

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Need to brush up on my vocabulary. :p

-odin
-modem

Best tutorial for custom recovery?

Currently stock rooted. EL29? Idk what that means either.

Coming from an htc evo 3d.

Sent from my Epic Touch using xda premium

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix

-odin
-modem

Brush up on vocabulary by reading everything in the forums here .... El29 is the last GB ota .... Please read and really understand before doing anything like flashing ics on the phone or you will run a good chance of bricking ....have fun learning and be safe this is nothing like a HTC

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Brush up on vocabulary by reading everything in the forums here .... El29 is the last GB ota .... Please read and really understand before doing anything like flashing ics on the phone or you will run a good chance of bricking ....have fun learning and be safe this is nothing like a HTC

Haha. I noticed.

Figured someone could explain what the odin and modem was tho.

Ill poke around.

And try not to brick. I have a usb jig on the way. So im not crazy worried.

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010

-odin
-modem

Odin is a program used to flash recoveries/kernels, roms (usually just stock roms), and modems. There's an open source alternative called Heimdall that works well too. you can purchase Mobile Odin from the Play Store if you want to flash kernels directly from your phone. This makes it convenient when you cant or dont feel like using Odin on your computer to flash a new recovery onto your phone. ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS. Odin/Heimdall DO NOT flash .zip files. They only flash .tar files (kernels/roms) and .bin files (modems). Again, ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.

Modem is the radio. Kernel versions dont have to match the modem version. You can be on kernel EL29 but still have a modem of FD16, and vise versa. Some people have better luck with the latest modems, some people have better luck with older modems. Your mileage may vary.

As for recoveries, they are always (always) packaged and flashed with a kernel. This is how Samsung does business (at least on most of their phones). Some kernels include a custom recovery, others dont. As of now, no ICS kernel comes with a custom recovery (actually this statement might not be accurate now that i think about it). Whenever you flash an ICS rom (which comes prepackaged with a kernel), you will always lose your recovery. No bigs, just Odin a kernel (ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.) that includes a custom recovery (the most popular one is EL26 with CMW [search for it]). Most roms you encounter will be flashed through Recovery. If it's a .zip file, it's flashed in Recovery.

"Currently stock rooted" means you're on a stock rom that's rooted.

"EL29" most likely refers to the kernel that is packaged in the rom, but it can refer to your modem version too. The first letter represents the year; the second letter represents the month; the number represents the date of the month the kernel/modem was built.

E = year (2011)
L = month (December)
29 = date (29th, hurrrrrr)

So if someone's modem is FD19, that means:

F = 2012
D = April
19 = 19th

All ICS kernels begin with F because all ICS kernels were leaked/released in 2012. All GB kernels begin with E because they were all released in 2011.

The last stock rom/OTA released by Samsung was EL29. There have been some Samsung ICS leaks however; they range from FB## - FD##.

Last edited:

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Odin is a program used to flash recoveries/kernels, roms, and modems. There's an open source alternative called Heimdall that works well too. you can purchase Mobile Odin from the Play Store if you want to flash kernels directly from your phone. This makes it convenient when you cant or dont feel like using Odin on your computer to flash a new recovery onto your phone. ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS. Odin/Heimdall DO NOT flash .zip files. They only flash .tar files (kernels/roms) and .bin files (modems). Again, ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.

Modem is the radio. Kernel versions dont have to match the modem version. You can be on kernel EL29 but still have a modem of FD16, and vise versa. Some people have better luck with the latest modems, some people have better luck with older modems. Your mileage may vary.

As for recoveries, they are always (always) packaged and flashed with a kernel. This is how Samsung does business (at least on most of their phones). Some kernels include a custom recovery, others dont. As of now, no ICS kernel comes with a custom recovery (actually this statement might not be accurate now that i think about it). Whenever you flash an ICS rom (which comes prepackaged with a kernel), you will always lose your recovery. No bigs, just Odin a kernel (ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.) that includes a custom recovery (the most popular one is EL26 with CMW [search for it]).

"EL29" most likely refers to the kernel that is packaged in the rom, but it can refer to your modem version too. The first letter represents the year; the second letter represents the month; the number represents the date of the month the kernel/modem was built.

E = year (2011)
L = month (December)

F = 2012
D = April
19 = 19th

All ICS kernels begin with F because all ICS kernels were leaked/released in 2012. All GB kernels begin with E because they were all released in 2011.

The last stock rom/OTA released by Samsung was EL29. There have been some Samsung ICS leaks however; they range from FB## - FD##.

K sweet. Very informative.

Not a noob by any means.

But new phone in all. Just trying to learn all the stuff.

Htc is much different. Thanks alot.

Reactions: wilderckw

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ok. So if I want to flash Calkulin's rom. Download the rom and radio. Use odin (mobile odin) to flash them.

What about recovery? I didnt see it mentioned.

EDIT: I see it says I need custom recovery to flash. So would I just odin a kernel that has recovery already?

Last edited:

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
Ok. So if I want to flash Calkulin's rom. Download the rom and radio. Use odin (mobile odin) to flash them.

What about recovery? I didnt see it mentioned.

EDIT: I see it says I need custom recovery to flash. So would I just odin a kernel that has recovery already?

Both roms tell you what recovery they come with, and tells you that you need to flash them through recovery.

Edit: Yep, just Odin a kernel that has a custom recovery.

Last edited:

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
So rogue kernel. Would that be the rogue recovery?

So which kernel should I use to odin on just stock EL29 that has recovery?

EDIT: Or....the kernel (with recovery) and rom pack into the zip?

Last edited:

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
No prob. Also, a HUGE thing to remember...

Just stick with EL26 or EL29 (GB) recovery. Using an ICS recovery (anything beginning with "F") can lead to you permanently bricking your phone. People have been successful using ICS recoveries, but lots of people have also hard bricked their phones using them (me included). Very very very very few people (if any, I cant recall any) have bricked their phones using GB Recoveries.

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No prob. Also, a HUGE thing to remember...

Just stick with EL26 or EL29 (GB) recovery. Using an ICS recovery (anything beginning with "F") can lead to you permanently bricking your phone. People have been successful using ICS recoveries, but lots of people have also hard bricked their phones using them (me included). Very very very very few people (if any, I cant recall any) have bricked their phones using GB Recoveries.

Ok sweet.

Ill make sure an triple check everything before i flash it.

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
Every time u flash a rom it will change your kernel resulting in a different recovery sometimes as Samsung recovery is in the kernel not seperate like HTC ....don't sweat it keep the el26 and mobile Odin and you can flash anything .....also most ics won't come with anything but stock recovery to try to keep people from bricking ics kernels and cwm are to be avoided at all cost right now ... and rom manager sucks for Samsung if you are thinking of using it

euphoria

Jan 21, 2012
Pacific NW
Don't believe anyone has mentioned him yet...

QBKing77's channel on YouTube will be your best friend for figuring stuff out on this phone

eyeisdasteve

Dec 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Every time u flash a rom it will change your kernel resulting in a different recovery sometimes as Samsung recovery is in the kernel not seperate like HTC ....don't sweat it keep the el26 and mobile Odin and you can flash anything .....also most ics won't come with anything but stock recovery to try to keep people from bricking ics kernels and cwm are to be avoided at all cost right now ... and rom manager sucks for Samsung if you are thinking of using it

How would I even get into stock recovery?

And ok. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
I do realize we can switch between radios and they don't necessarily have to match the rom. I think iylt just goes against how I thought it went together. I have ane evo 3d as well as this phone and that is not the case with that phone. In fact when I am on a later radio with an earlier build rom everything messes up and force closes are everywhere. Just wondering why we are able to upgrade the radio with "no" problems when that modem was built to use a different build. Not to mention its not even the same version ie gb rom and ice cream modem. Any thoughts on this subject?

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
I do realize we can switch between radios and they don't necessarily have to match the rom. I think iylt just goes against how I thought it went together. I have ane evo 3d as well as this phone and that is not the case with that phone. In fact when I am on a later radio with an earlier build rom everything messes up and force closes are everywhere. Just wondering why we are able to upgrade the radio with "no" problems when that modem was built to use a different build. Not to mention its not even the same version ie gb rom and ice cream modem. Any thoughts on this subject?

modem's should have zero interactions with apps in a way that can cause them to force close. are you sure you're not confusing modems with kernels?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-odin
    -modem

Odin is a program used to flash recoveries/kernels, roms (usually just stock roms), and modems. There's an open source alternative called Heimdall that works well too. you can purchase Mobile Odin from the Play Store if you want to flash kernels directly from your phone. This makes it convenient when you cant or dont feel like using Odin on your computer to flash a new recovery onto your phone. ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS. Odin/Heimdall DO NOT flash .zip files. They only flash .tar files (kernels/roms) and .bin files (modems). Again, ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.

As for recoveries, they are always (always) packaged and flashed with a kernel. This is how Samsung does business (at least on most of their phones). Some kernels include a custom recovery, others dont. As of now, no ICS kernel comes with a custom recovery (actually this statement might not be accurate now that i think about it). Whenever you flash an ICS rom (which comes prepackaged with a kernel), you will always lose your recovery. No bigs, just Odin a kernel (ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.) that includes a custom recovery (the most popular one is EL26 with CMW [search for it]). Most roms you encounter will be flashed through Recovery. If it's a .zip file, it's flashed in Recovery.

E = year (2011)
    L = month (December)

F = 2012
    D = April
    19 = 19th

Odin is a program used to flash recoveries/kernels, roms, and modems. There's an open source alternative called Heimdall that works well too. you can purchase Mobile Odin from the Play Store if you want to flash kernels directly from your phone. This makes it convenient when you cant or dont feel like using Odin on your computer to flash a new recovery onto your phone. ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS. Odin/Heimdall DO NOT flash .zip files. They only flash .tar files (kernels/roms) and .bin files (modems). Again, ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR RECOVERIES/KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.

As for recoveries, they are always (always) packaged and flashed with a kernel. This is how Samsung does business (at least on most of their phones). Some kernels include a custom recovery, others dont. As of now, no ICS kernel comes with a custom recovery (actually this statement might not be accurate now that i think about it). Whenever you flash an ICS rom (which comes prepackaged with a kernel), you will always lose your recovery. No bigs, just Odin a kernel (ALWAYS USE **PDA** SLOT FOR KERNELS/ROMS. ALWAYS USE **PHONE** SLOT FOR MODEMS.) that includes a custom recovery (the most popular one is EL26 with CMW [search for it]).

E = year (2011)
    L = month (December)

F = 2012
    D = April
    19 = 19th

K sweet. Very informative.

Not a noob by any means.

But new phone in all. Just trying to learn all the stuff.

Htc is much different. Thanks alot.