[Q] Bricked HTC One X - please help

Search This thread

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Before you yell at me for not searching, I spent the last 5 hours trying to fix this problem.

I tried to root my Rogers HTC One X, but after failing serveral times in changing the CID, I soft-bricked my phone when trying the method from How to root your HTC One X Tegra3 (for Windows, Mac and Linux) thread on modaco

Now my phone loads up on the HTC logo with red text, and just crashes. I tried to find a RUU, but I can't, only a OTA for my version.

Info
File Timestamp: 04/12/12
Publically Seen: 08/01/13
Android: 4.1.1
hboot: 2.14.0000
Kernel: 3.4.10
adsp: 31.1.0.45.0815
radio: 0.23a.32.09.29_10.128.32.34

Could I use the OTA to do a factory reset, if so how?
I can't seem to find a RUU.

Would I be able to use a different RUU, that's a older version?
I have TWRP 2.4.1.0 installed as well, and can access it.

Thanks

Venomtester

Jan 28, 2013
Columbia
Before you yell at me for not searching, I spent the last 5 hours trying to fix this problem.

I tried to root my Rogers HTC One X, but after failing serveral times in changing the CID, I soft-bricked my phone when trying the method from How to root your HTC One X Tegra3 (for Windows, Mac and Linux) thread on modaco

Now my phone loads up on the HTC logo with red text, and just crashes. I tried to find a RUU, but I can't, only a OTA for my version.

Info
File Timestamp: 04/12/12
Publically Seen: 08/01/13
Android: 4.1.1
hboot: 2.14.0000
Kernel: 3.4.10
adsp: 31.1.0.45.0815
radio: 0.23a.32.09.29_10.128.32.34

Could I use the OTA to do a factory reset, if so how?
I can't seem to find a RUU.

Would I be able to use a different RUU, that's a older version?

Thanks

First. Do you have a Tegra 3 or a dual core?
AT&T HTC OneX
Andoird 4.1.1
ViperXL 3.2.3

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
First. Do you have a Tegra 3 or a dual core?
AT&T HTC OneX
Andoird 4.1.1
ViperXL 3.2.3

I'm not sure, is there a way I'm able to check in my current condition?

Sigh all you had to do was go to HTC dev.com and unlock
Actually, it wasn't that easy, even after unlocking it says I wasn't rooted. My bootloader is unlocked, restore was flashed, and I get "tampered".
I had to install some kind of exploit that kept failing to change my CID.

Also, my HBoot says S-On, maybe one of the reasons I couldn't use root when I flashed it?

Bootloader says

**** TAMPERED ****
**** UNLOCKED ****
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 2.14.0000
RADIO-0.23aa.32.09.29
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot

Thanks all for replying by the way

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
I'm not sure, is there a way I'm able to check in my current condition?

Actually, it wasn't that easy, even after unlocking it says I wasn't rooted. My bootloader is unlocked, restore was flashed, and I get "tampered".
I had to install some kind of exploit that kept failing to change my CID.

Also, my HBoot says S-On, maybe one of the reasons I couldn't use root when I flashed it?

Bootloader says

**** TAMPERED ****
**** UNLOCKED ****
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 2.14.0000
RADIO-0.23aa.32.09.29
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot

Thanks all for replying by the way
Well of course you wouldn't be rooted after that...do you really think HTC would put out a program that would root our phones and then take responsibility? No.. you obviously did not read at all....once you unlock your bootloader you flash twrp than flash a Rom/ or root... Is that hard to read?

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Well of course you wouldn't be rooted after that...do you really think HTC would put out a program that would root our phones and then take responsibility? No.. you obviously did not read at all....once you unlock your bootloader you flash twrp than flash a Rom/ or root... Is that hard to read?

Yes, I ****ed up. I know. I didn't fully understand what I was doing at first, and just basically skimmed though a couple tutorials before I messed up my phone. If I can get this fixed I know for next time, and probably wont attempt something like this again until I fully understand it. I just want my phone back.

S-on has nothing to do with root. Have you installed a recovery? TWRP?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Yes, from my first post;

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Your steps to freedom...
Download viper xl 3.2.3 to your computer (for now then you can switch roms)
Connect your phone via usb to your comp Go into twrp mount your storage and drag the Rom over to the phone where you'll be able to find it on your sd
Now go into the wipe menu in twrp select wipe system and factory reset..
Nowclicj on install in twrp find viper where you put in on your sd and click on and flash it
You now have a custom Rom/root/ fixed phone

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Your steps to freedom...
Connect your phone via usb to your comp Go into twrp mount your storage and drag the Rom over to the phone where you'll be able to find it on your sd
Nowclicj on install in twrp find viper where you put in on your sd and click on and flash it

Okay, I'm currently downloading the Rom you suggested, going to take a while. Pretty big. Also, when I mount the System, data, and cache, I get a message from windows asking me to format the J: drive. Should I continue?

Another question, after I flash this Rom, would I be able to reset everything back to the way it was? No Root, relock the bootloader, and reset the the main factory rom?

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Whyd you mount system and data? ...so when you click mount menu you see mount system that should be uncecked mount data unchecked two others.. than you see u button halfway through the page that says mount usb storage...

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Whyd you mount system and data? ...so when you click mount menu you see mount system that should be uncecked mount data unchecked two others.. than you see u button halfway through the page that says mount usb storage...

I only have four options to mount, System, Data, Cache, and SD card which wont check when I tap on it.

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Ah I see I'm on twrp 2.3 and 2.4's mount is set up differently

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Well put u on twrp 3.1

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Do you have adb and fastboot set up

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Ah I see I'm on twrp 2.3 and 2.4's mount is set up differently

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Well put u on twrp 3.1

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Do you have adb and fastboot set up

I have a folder on my desktop that has three files, adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and AdbWinApi.dll.

EDIT

Followed this, seems to work.
dottech.org/21534/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-on-your-windows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

Last edited:

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Flashing recovery through fastboot...
download the file in the link which above which will include adb and fastboot....put that on your computer somewhere you can find it.. now take the recovery.img(I'll link you in a sec) and place it in that folder... Boot your phone into bootloader scroll down and select fastboot and now open a command prompt with in the fastbootbadb folder on your comp and type to command without the quotes "fastboot flash recovery whateveryouwishtonameit.img"

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/evita/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img

Kilburn

Feb 22, 2013
Flashing recovery through fastboot...
download the file in the link which above which will include adb and fastboot....put that on your computer somewhere you can find it.. now take the recovery.img(I'll link you in a sec) and place it in that folder... Boot your phone into bootloader scroll down and select fastboot and now open a command prompt with in the fastbootbadb folder on your comp and type to command without the quotes "fastboot flash recovery whateveryouwishtonameit.img"

Will the flash recovery still work, even though my S-ON? TWRP Says it needs to be Off?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just sent a pm......... what is the current state of the phone now.....won't boot, boots to recovery, bootloader only?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Your steps to freedom...

He should pay you 20.00 for this advice. You just fixed his phone indirectly

---------- Post added 24th February 2013 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 23rd February 2013 at 11:57 PM ----------

I tried downloading 3 other roms, all with the same error. Tried with 7Zip, winrar, and even windows built in.

You don't have to uncompress the ROMS you download. Leave them as is once you have the files on the computer. Copy them over to your phone as is using TWRP Mount option then you're good to go
    The issue wasn't his phone, it was his PC. It would try and decompress any ,zip he tried to download automatically when only 20-30% downloaded. I pushed viper ROM over to his PC from mine using TV and he flashed it. He's up n running

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2