GPS Compass really messed up!

Search This thread

mbushnaq00

Apr 26, 2010
I am really concerned about the GPS compass issue (not the magnetic one). It makes navigation applications like NDrive and Sygic unusable. While I am driving the nav app would suddenly recalculate the route on a different road then a few seconds later it comes back to my actual location, and it keeps doing that even if u are not moving.

This is really irritating, do any of u face a similar issue? Do u think its a hardware or a software problem?

matmar

Aug 15, 2008
I am really concerned about the GPS compass issue (not the magnetic one). It makes navigation applications like NDrive and Sygic unusable. While I am driving the nav app would suddenly recalculate the route on a different road then a few seconds later it comes back to my actual location, and it keeps doing that even if u are not moving.

This is really irritating, do any of u face a similar issue? Do u think its a hardware or a software problem?

Install GPS status from market and clear agps data. Worked for me !

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Reactions: zincsnow

mbushnaq00

Apr 26, 2010
Install GPS status from market and clear agps data. Worked for me !

Can you please provide me with the market link, I really would appreciate it

EDIT: I got it, and cleared the agps data but still the same issue. The wierd thing is that while I stand still, the speed keeps increasing and descreasing at very high number.

I tested another one x and it was far more accurate and stable than mine :( I think mine is defective :S

Last edited:

Pyung

Sep 9, 2010
Mine is quite amusing it says i'm at home then you will see it move at light speed and place my gps target in a whole other country whilst saying its got 5m accuracy, have tried clearing aps to make no diff

Can you please provide me with the market link, I really would appreciate it

EDIT: I got it, and cleared the agps data but still the same issue. The wierd thing is that while I stand still, the speed keeps increasing and descreasing at very high number.

I tested another one x and it was far more accurate and stable than mine :( I think mine is defective :S

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
+1: GPS is unusable...

The best way to test GPS is to put the phone in airplane mode, turn off GPS, and reboot it. After it reboots then activate GPS. That way it won't be using aGPS (wireless or Wi-Fi) and be relying solely on the GPS chip for location.

Download an app from the Market called GPS Test. When I run it I see the phone's kind of screwy. It sees 16 satellites immediately (excellent) and locks on about half of them (average) but then keeps changing which satellites it's receiving from.

It will get down to 9' in accuracy which is actually very good but it's odd that it keeps shifting satellites instead of staying locked on the ones it has previously identified and read. I set a route in CoPilot using nothing but the GPS chip and it seemed fine; my origin remained stationary. When I go out later I'll actually try using it in the car for a full route.

It's really hard to say whether it's h/w or s/w at this point.

Edit: After doing all the above I noticed I lost a pretty hefty amount of battery. Looking in the battery stats Android OS was the number one battery user exceeding even the display. That's abnormal which leads me to guess the issue is probably s/w.

Last edited:
Reactions: rolle_84

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
What is a "GPS compass", please? (There's no such thing.)

Used GPS for the first time yesterday, for a two hour trip with Sygic maps' 12.1 beta. Worked perfectly the whole way.

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
Edit: After doing all the above I noticed I lost a pretty hefty amount of battery. Looking in the battery stats Android OS was the number one battery user exceeding even the display. That's abnormal which leads me to guess the issue is probably s/w.

That could be a red herring. A rather large issue has been discovered with the battery stats that it does not go down correctly when the phone is on standby (screen off). When it suddenly realises the true battery status, it plummets to the correct level.

Tiersten

Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. There is something strange going on with the compass and GPS.

Google Maps has my arrow moving around a lot and also changes direction significantly even when I'm stationary. Not sure what is going on there. There is a certain amount of uncertainty and jitter when using GPS but it should be smoothed out.

I've tried disabling the WiFi/Cell location system and only using GPS but it doesn't affect it. Resetting the AGPS data doesn't help either.

zekit

Oct 25, 2011
The GPS issue seems to be big and i use GPS and Navigation too often with my phone. Tonight or tomorrow i am getting my One X and i hope they will sort this out sooner.

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
The GPS issue seems to be big and i use GPS and Navigation too often with my phone. Tonight or tomorrow i am getting my One X and i hope they will sort this out sooner.

That's debatable. I have no noticeable issues when actually moving (even at walking pace), and get an accurate lock. When sitting still, the GPS does show slight motion, but only in the area immediately around my actual point, and even my dedicated GPS receiver does that to a degree. It's a fact of life that consumer GPS doesn't give better accuracy than a couple of yards.

trickyhenry

Dec 27, 2007
I used Google navigation yesterday for a 25 mile trip. No issue. I've not tried it for walking but then I never really use it for that. Maybe I can have a go and report back.

Last edited:

Demented-Idiot

Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, UK
I too am noticing an issue with GPS accuracy as detailed in my post here using sports trackers:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1599057

Hard to say if its a software issue or hw issue... I havent "Tracked" myself over a long distance so it could be the GPS getting confused with only small changes in distance?

Can someone track themselves on a long-ish road that doesnt have many/any slow moving areas so we can see the accuracy of it?

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
I'd be curious to know what cases people with problems are using. We've already had one report of reduced wifi range with a third-party case, not beyond the realms of possibility that it could also reduce gps reception.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA

mbushnaq00

Apr 26, 2010
Guys, I just replaced my phone yesterday, I have to say the replacement has far more better accuracy than the old one. It seems to be a hardware defect and if you have the same problem then have it replaced asap.

To check, just download speedview, stand still outside with clear vew to the sky, and see how the speed jumps. If its between 0 to 5 and mostly 0 then you have a good unit, otherwise if goes to 20 then 40 and even 220!! then u definitely need to replace the device. I dont think any method u try will resolve this issue cuz its a hardware problem and not software.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Got bored and decided to film it.

Makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbtRUHBo40

Sitting on my desk right under the window. Nexus one right next to it doesnt do this.....

That's funny to watch. Here's what I've found. When you download and view GPS Tracker you can see that the phone's not staying fixed to specific satellites and is instead bouncing around between them. The weaker the signal (indoors) the more it bounces. Outdoors with a clear signal it's fine. But because it's still locking on satellites, even randomly, it still maintains its accuracy. My accuracy indoors is 9' vs. 15' for my SGS2. I haven't compared it to another One X so can't comment on whether they all behave the same way.

You might want to run GPS Tracker on both your One X and GN to see how differently they perform. Also keep in mind that the way GPS works in flight mode (no aGPS support) is very different than when it's using Wi-Fi or a wireless signal. The former is the best way to test the GPS chips function. To really test the GPS chip put the phone in flight mode and then restart it. It'll be much slower to lock (they all are) and the results you'll be seeing are the GPS chip working on its own.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix gps solved / wifi and signal

Hello to all.
    Yesterday i just find how to fix the problem with GPS (signal and lock to satelites,and bouncing thru all map)
    -to fix just fallow my steps and your problems will be fix.
    1: open your phone to reveal what is inside
    2: pull up those connectors shown in photo
    3: close back
    4: everifing is fix
    THIS WORKS BECOUSE AFTER THAT THE CONNECTOR APLY MORE PRESURE TO ANTENA AND NOW THE CIRCUIT IS COMPLETE
    Hope this will fix all your problem with GPS, WIFI, Signal
    PLEASE GIVE CREDIT FOR THAT!!
    PS tomorow i will make a tutorial with this
    Sorry for my english but i live in romania
    It is a post in thread no 45 link here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594281&page=45
    I just pul out a little more then is from factory(i make with 0.5-1 mm bigger the distance from connector to the main board of the phone,sow before the the space betwin top of connector and main board was 1.5 mm,now is 2-2.5 mm.That means now connector aply more presure to the spot where touch the gps antena)
    It-s simple and effiency
    PS tomorow i will make a tutorial and i will posted on u tube to see everyone how to fix this enoing problem
    I make a picture more clear with connectors

Back with tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfH48nbCFE4&feature=plcp
    Hi All,

I have problem with my One X:
    - Poor GPS reception
    - only few satellites in sight even after "fushing" all old A-GPS data

I did what gabrielvl suggested:
    - open phone (tricky, my phone now has some scratches...)
    - push up the little connectors on the main board the push against the relevant antennas ones the phone is closed again (antennas are in the plastic back of the phone)

Now I have PERFECT GPS reception and I thing even the phone reception is better (I lifted all conntectors for phone, Wifi and GPS).

MANY THANKS GABRIELVL for the idea. Works great !! :) :)

Best regards from Bad Nauheim, Germany

Jan

Best regards from Romania :) , I m glad that help u 2.
    +1: GPS is unusable...

The best way to test GPS is to put the phone in airplane mode, turn off GPS, and reboot it. After it reboots then activate GPS. That way it won't be using aGPS (wireless or Wi-Fi) and be relying solely on the GPS chip for location.

Download an app from the Market called GPS Test. When I run it I see the phone's kind of screwy. It sees 16 satellites immediately (excellent) and locks on about half of them (average) but then keeps changing which satellites it's receiving from.

It will get down to 9' in accuracy which is actually very good but it's odd that it keeps shifting satellites instead of staying locked on the ones it has previously identified and read. I set a route in CoPilot using nothing but the GPS chip and it seemed fine; my origin remained stationary. When I go out later I'll actually try using it in the car for a full route.

It's really hard to say whether it's h/w or s/w at this point.

and 1.28 yesterday did not better my gps stability :mad:

If GPS is unusable, you most likely have a hardware problem. Get the phone replaced.