Moto G - Unfortunately Camera has stopped

Search This thread

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Running stock Moto G 4.4.2 ATM, and updated to 174.44.1 yesterday, unlocked and rooted using TWRP v2.6.3.0. Very occasionally, when I want to use the camera I get the message "Unfortunately Camera has stopped" and I get a blank screen. I can exit the camera app and occasionally it will work if I force stop the camera app and try it again. I have also tried other camera apps, but get the same results. I suspect that they all using the same Android api or something. The surefire way to get it working is to reboot the phone.

I have tried fixing permissions, wiping cache, dalvic, wiping camera app cache etc. Perhaps I have a physical camera problem? As I see zero reports of Moto G camera problems in this forum.

Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 4726928

Running stock Moto G 4.4.2 ATM, and updated to 174.44.1 yesterday, unlocked and rooted using TWRP v2.6.3.0. Very occasionally, when I want to use the camera I get the message "Unfortunately Camera has stopped" and I get a blank screen. I can exit the camera app and occasionally it will work if I force stop the camera app and try it again. I have also tried other camera apps, but get the same results. I suspect that they all using the same Android api or something. The surefire way to get it working is to reboot the phone.

I have tried fixing permissions, wiping cache, dalvic, wiping camera app cache etc. Perhaps I have a physical camera problem? As I see zero reports of Moto G camera problems in this forum.

Any suggestions?
Hi there, I'm having the same problem! From what country is yours?

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
@GregoryDelaey Hi, Mine is a standard US model purchased from Amazon USA. In desperation I have just done a factory reset and re-installing everything again!

D

Deleted member 4726928

@GregoryDelaey Hi, Mine is a standard US model purchased from Amazon USA. In desperation I have just done a factory reset and re-installing everything again!
Hhhhmmm, bought mine in Belgium so it's a EU model. I did happen to install the stock camera app (from a nexus) a while ago, but deletet it a few days after that. Maybe it's because of that?

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Well so far after doing the factory reset and re installing my apps the camera seems to be behaving. I too use a KK camera from the play store, only because it keeps things the same as on my other devices. Yesterday I found another thread reporting the same camera issues. We should join that thread. PS. We have a home in Holland although live 6 mnths in Mexico, so we are almost neighbors...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Hhhhmmm, bought mine in Belgium so it's a EU model. I did happen to install the stock camera app (from a nexus) a while ago, but deletet it a few days after that. Maybe it's because of that?

Just to let you know. Two days on and I have been working the camera app, quite a bit. It seems fine now. As mentioned I did a full factory reset and then installed everything back one by one. I didn't use Titanium or anything. So it was a bit of a pain, But the result seems to be a complete cure. :fingers-crossed:

D

Deleted member 4726928

Just to let you know. Two days on and I have been working the camera app, quite a bit. It seems fine now. As mentioned I did a full factory reset and then installed everything back one by one. I didn't use Titanium or anything. So it was a bit of a pain, But the result seems to be a complete cure. :fingers-crossed:
The fact that you have a house in the Netherlands is quite cool!
And any idea why it behaves like that if you don't reset? Is it still working?

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Yes four days now and the camera is stable. I try it regularly just to be sure. By factory reset, I mean factory fresh. Where the phone asks language, gmail account etc. Then I installed all my apps fresh from the play store. It took a while, but the result seems like it is worth it. Finally used TWRP to create a backup.

D

Deleted member 4726928

Yes four days now and the camera is stable. I try it regularly just to be sure. By factory reset, I mean factory fresh. Where the phone asks language, gmail account etc. Then I installed all my apps fresh from the play store. It took a while, but the result seems like it is worth it. Finally used TWRP to create a backup.

Ok, I will try this tomorrow and I'll report here wether it works or not.

rhishavphukan

Oct 31, 2011
New Delhi
Same problem here on the Indian version. Reboot makes it alright. anyone who knows why this is happening? Hope to get a fix soon.
Have 2 Moto G's and this problem occurs on both.

D

Deleted member 4726928

Camera fix

Ok so I've been testing the camera for 3 days now and it works just perfect. The only fix (for now) seems to be resetting the phone. You can find this under settings - Back-up and reset (don't know how this menu is called in English, as my phone is in Dutch).
Be aware, it WILL erase everything so make sure to back things up.

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
@GregoryDelaey Hi, I am pleased to hear that the effort resulted in a good outcome for you. I was convinced that my phone had a hardware camera problem. But its now 10 days and the camera so far is faultless. Yesterday I tried some other camera apps to see if I could improve the camera. One called Snap Camera did seem to give marginally better results. But in the end I decided to stay with the Kitkat version. It doesn't have HDR but I decided that I could achieve the same thing by photo editing on my PC.

D

Deleted member 4726928

Camera Update

Ok, so the last few days I got the error again. It appears when I start the camera app, then it crashes and after that I can start the app again and start taking pictures.
But today, an update for the camera was released on the play story, it says it has several bug fixes + support for android 4.4.2. I think this might be the update we were waiting for. I'll test it this weekend to see if it is.

Dwarf Cavendish

Oct 10, 2011
Ok, so the last few days I got the error again. It appears when I start the camera app, then it crashes and after that I can start the app again and start taking pictures.
But today, an update for the camera was released on the play story, it says it has several bug fixes + support for android 4.4.2. I think this might be the update we were waiting for. I'll test it this weekend to see if it is.

I have camera issues as well, running CM11 on my European Moto G. I only noticed it when I actually tried to take a picture, the camera app would crash then. My wife has a stock Moto G and told me about a camera update yesterday, but she wasn't sure where it came from, only that she did not have to reboot. I was wondering whether I would have to flash a new radio to get this fix, but now that I know that it apparently came from the Play Store I'm not sure what to do atm :( .

Rebooting does help by the way.

D

Deleted member 4726928

I have camera issues as well, running CM11 on my European Moto G. I only noticed it when I actually tried to take a picture, the camera app would crash then. My wife has a stock Moto G and told me about a camera update yesterday, but she wasn't sure where it came from, only that she did not have to reboot. I was wondering whether I would have to flash a new radio to get this fix, but now that I know that it apparently came from the Play Store I'm not sure what to do atm :( .

Rebooting does help by the way.
Yes the new update comes from the play store and it's from Motorola themselves. They updated the camera app to be compatible with Android 4.4.2. so that means it won't crash anymore (at least for me it doesn't). Can't help you with your camera issue though, seeing that you're on a custom rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4726928
    Camera Update