LG please do not need to artificially increase the saturation and sharpness

Search This thread

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
If you had the phone you would know what we are talking about haha. Its very noticeable. Anyways has anyone tried getting in contact with LG about the sharpening?

sub69

May 26, 2005
Sydney
I don't see it, even on the pics posted in this page... What are we supposed to see exactly ? Confused...

Sharpening is there to increase the contrast between light and dark edges...

Basically, where you have dark text on a light (but not pure white) background, over sharpening causes the dark text to have a noticeable white "glow", or "halo" around the edges of the individual letters.

If you look at dhkx's second picture at full size you can see that the background is off-white, then there's a pixel or two of bright white before the black pixels that make up the text. It's particularly obvious on text with straight edges:

BgdKjjP.png

As you can see, it only really happens left to right, the flat tops of the "W" are fine, and have no bright white pixels between the black text and the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enddo

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com

Basically, where you have dark text on a light (but not pure white) background, over sharpening causes the dark text to have a noticeable white "glow", or "halo" around the edges of the individual letters.

If you look at dhkx's second picture at full size you can see that the background is off-white, then there's a pixel or two of bright white before the black pixels that make up the text. It's particularly obvious on text with straight edges:

BgdKjjP.png

As you can see, it only really happens left to right, the flat tops of the "W" are fine, and have no bright white pixels between the black text and the background.

that is an amazing example. thank you for taking the time to do this post

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
I got the phone today and immediately upon turning it on remarked to myself "What the hell is with the sharpening?"

It's a 4K display. in no way shape or form does it need extra sharpening. Applying something like that globally across your whole screen is basically a cardinal sin in imagery in my opinion.

Whether you notice it or not, it's been proven that they're doing it. And many many of us find it super annoying.

I hope LG will fix it preferably, or at least the talented programmers in the development scene. I would toss another $50-$100 at this problem for a fix right now. My eyesight isn't even great and it bugs the crap out of me to the point of preferring my G2 display.

Apr 28, 2013
Sony Xperia 1 III
I recently posted this on another thread, but for an obvious example, set your wallpaper to the built in photo of a mountain range. Move some icons to the top of your home screens and look at the app labels. It hurts my eyes.

Then load up arstechnica.com in your browser.

It's absolutely horrible. Why would you apply these effects to what should be an amazing screen? I just traded my HTC m7 in for this phone and I'm so sad.

I heard about this effect around icons before buying this phone. But the default wallpaper, the one with the blue background, completely conceals it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
I got the phone today and immediately upon turning it on remarked to myself "What the hell is with the sharpening?"

It's a 4K display. in no way shape or form does it need extra sharpening. Applying something like that globally across your whole screen is basically a cardinal sin in imagery in my opinion.

Whether you notice it or not, it's been proven that they're doing it. And many many of us find it super annoying.

I hope LG will fix it preferably, or at least the talented programmers in the development scene. I would toss another $50-$100 at this problem for a fix right now. My eyesight isn't even great and it bugs the crap out of me to the point of preferring my G2 display.

2k not 4k.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: MarvinFS

valiymt

Oct 9, 2009
Fix the sharpening issues by Yourself

So to fix this annoying issue to a certain level:

settings >>accessibility >> Color adjustment

turn it on and bring the circle a tab bit down on the middle, Now you can see that the sharpening effect is not seen

Reactions: oo3

slayer3032

May 23, 2013
Hate to break it to you guys but its even in TWRP on my D851. So its a hardware/driver implementation. No simple AOSP ROM will fix this. I'm returning my device for a G2.

armadafan271

Jul 28, 2014
Please tell me your not comparing a screenshot to a selfie taken in a mirror -_-

I've read all this stuff before when i bought my yoga 2 pro, being the first 3200x1800 res laptop. Nothing but comparisons to 1080p displays, critics talking about color inaccuracies. All the credible reviews said it was a total failure and more of a negative that a plus. But i'm glad I picked it up, I was able to hold it and hold a samsung notebook with a 1080p display and honestly it was night and day, the higher res wins. Maybe that's just me cuz i have 20/10 vision but if resolution is important to you don't overthink it and take all these display calibration tests too seriously. Make the judgement for yourself.

You are right... but the Yoga 2 Pro is also marketed towards professionals who sometimes need accurate color. I was VERY excited to see the high resolution display on that machine, but deep disturbed with the quality when I absolutely need precision color control in the work that I do. People who want/need those resolutions and displays are often graphics, photography, or web professionals... and the Yoga 2 Pro just doesn't cut it :(.... sadly I am still in the search for a high resolution laptop that isn't a Macbook Pro (I am not of fan of Apple).

Hopefully we will be able to make the G3 shine, and lets hope for better displays on future "Pro" series laptops!

Yes people should be the judge, but I am a fan of calibration tests. Precision makes a big difference for some groups.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is how bad the sharpening is.

Image taken with screenshot (no sharpening from display): http://i.imgur.com/J61hGfV.png

What you see when you look at the display (sharpening): http://i.imgur.com/ksWu5e7.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/HWDQrHE.jpg
    Well, I love my G3, I haven't been near a bong in years, and my vision is perfectly good (with contacts).

I find the oversharpening is irritating too, though. So any software fix would be very welcome.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    I don't see it, even on the pics posted in this page... What are we supposed to see exactly ? Confused...
    I have the phone since last week so here goes your point :eek:

BgdKjjP.png