Make your own cables

Search This thread

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
http://shop.kineteka.com/products/200-samsung-tabbreakout.aspx

If you want to take a USB keyboard and make it work, the easiest thing for a beginner would be to get the tab breakout connector and then solder the wires as shown in the diagram. If you don't have a female connector, you can cut off the male connector from the keyboard and just match up the colors.
Only get the other connector if you have a way to ohm out the pins so you know what is what, have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, and also have a steady hand. I got my connectors in the mail last night and I can probably take a picture and specify the pin layout if you like.

As for the HDMI, I am not sure yet. Seems like either no one has an adapter or if they do, don't want to share what the insides look like. For the older tab, it had one pin for standard video, but HDMI has 19 pins so either a lot of pins on the 30pin connector get reassigned in some way, or there might be some type of chip that does the conversion. I don't know enough about HDMI to make a proper assessment at this point. I hope someone with an actual adapter will chime in soon.

Reactions: donidozh

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
UPDATE: YUP (4) philips screws under the pad on the bottom. Will try to get a pic posted.

guts attached...[/QUOTE]

I am really surprised at how much wasted space there is in there. Good news is that it gives me plenty of room to install a female USB A(host) and a female USB mini(slave) , hdmi out, a switch and the circuitry. Might even shove a hub and a card reader in there.

Sholland91

Jun 17, 2010
what if I wanted to make a cable that would allow audio out and charging from a cigarette outlet for my car? I'm trying to make a car dock and I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on the media dock and another 20 for a car charger and cable. I already have the connector from kinecta

thanks

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
what if I wanted to make a cable that would allow audio out and charging from a cigarette outlet for my car? I'm trying to make a car dock and I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on the media dock and another 20 for a car charger and cable. I already have the connector from kinecta

thanks

When I was poking around in the kernel code to figure out how USB host is turned on, I found that there is a car kit mode. I'm guessing this is what you want. You're on your own to find the magic resistor value though.

Sholland91

Jun 17, 2010
When I was poking around in the kernel code to figure out how USB host is turned on, I found that there is a car kit mode. I'm guessing this is what you want. You're on your own to find the magic resistor value though.
sounds like fun. As far as just audio out is concerned, do I need to do anything other than connect it to a 3.5mm female headphone jack (resistors?)

thanks

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
@OP

Suggest you post a request to the mod for this to be stickied.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
Everything looks great but what is the Universal Charging schematics for? What the heck is universal charging?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
It's a small adapter that will cause the Tab to try and charge from anything that provides +5v to the power rails of the USB connector.

For example, if you connect the Tab to an iPad charger, it won't charge. If you connect the "universal charging" adapter in between, it will.

As to magic resistor values - I'll look into what chip they use to detect the resistors. Maybe we get lucky and they use the same FSA9280 as in the GalaxyS/Infuse phones. (Edit: not likely for that chip though.)

Last edited:

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Thanks for the info.

Any schematics for HDMI?

From the pinout and kernel code, it seems the 10.1 spits out MHL and not HDMI, and requires a converter chip. This is what the box at the end of the Samsung dongle is for.

MHL was created so you don't need so many pins or a dedicated connector on a mobile device for HDMI. On some phones it shares the USB pins so a microUSB-to-HDMI adapter would be used with an MHL converter chip built-in to make the transition. On the Tab, it uses just a single high speed pair of pins for MHL instead of the 18 or so that are required for HDMI.

Last edited:

xtkxhom3r

Oct 10, 2007

thanks

i have a verizon micro usb charger with the extra usb port on top and it charges my tab with the original usb cable...im guessing its a 2A output maybe you should look into getting one of those chargers instead of going through the trouble of making your own cable.....

this is the one i have but i got mine from the vsw store
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=53566&cat=888

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
i have a verizon micro usb charger with the extra usb port on top and it charges my tab with the original usb cable...im guessing its a 2A output maybe you should look into getting one of those chargers instead of going through the trouble of making your own cable.....

this is the one i have but i got mine from the vsw store
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=53566&cat=888

Your adapter probably won't put the unit in charge mode and might not provide as much power as he might want. Also still doesn't give him the audio out through the one cable.

andyfarmery

Jul 12, 2009

thanks

Search on ebay for "2-IN-1 USB CABLE FOR SAMSUNG P1000 GALAXY TAB"

(Sorry can't post a link!)

joedoe

Mar 29, 2005

I am really surprised at how much wasted space there is in there. Good news is that it gives me plenty of room to install a female USB A(host) and a female USB mini(slave) , hdmi out, a switch and the circuitry. Might even shove a hub and a card reader in there.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever finished your project?

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
I am really surprised at how much wasted space there is in there. Good news is that it gives me plenty of room to install a female USB A(host) and a female USB mini(slave) , hdmi out, a switch and the circuitry. Might even shove a hub and a card reader in there.

Have you ever finished your project?[/QUOTE]

I got swapped with work the past 2 weeks and I have had to put my personal projects on hold. I have probably another week or two before I can go back to playing with the soldering iron.

codyjat

Jun 12, 2011
San Diego
Made my own dock

So in my spare time I am making my own dock. I am using these drawings and MHL chip I found real chip on the internet. My goal is usb power with another usb for storage using the USB host w/ power drawing. Also with a HDMI out and 3.5 Audio out. THe HDMI will be gained but using the chip at the following URL siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=168. I will let you guys now how it goes..

bert269

Account currently disabled
Jul 17, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
Question about Universal Charging adapter.

I am not very clear about the universal connector?

I assume that the D+ and D- cables get cut on the male adapter side and the female side are connected to the two resisters, right?

Thanks

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
So in my spare time I am making my own dock. I am using these drawings and MHL chip I found real chip on the internet. My goal is usb power with another usb for storage using the USB host w/ power drawing. Also with a HDMI out and 3.5 Audio out. THe HDMI will be gained but using the chip at the following URL siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=168. I will let you guys now how it goes..

Are you doing your own PCB for this? MHL and HDMI are a pretty high speed buses so it'll need some real TLC to maintain signal integrity. You might be better off getting an MHL adapter for one of the phones that use it and hacking that up inside a case along with a hub and other goodies.

The good news is that MHL uses the same impedance cable as USB 2.0 so stripping the twisted pair out of a USB 2.0 cable should do for getting the signal there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

I will update this drawing as I learn how to build the other cables.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

Update:
    I guess the titles of each is not enough to properly relay what each does so here is a quick description of each.
    1. USB Host - Puts the Tab into host mode so that you can use items like thumb drives and keyboards. If you want to use a USB powered hard drive, you will need to use a powered hub.
    2. USB Host w/ Power - Puts the Tab into host mode but also allows you to charge the unit at the same time.
    3. Universal Charging - For making a 30-pin cable that will let you charge your Tab off any 5V source so that you don't get the red X over the battery. When doing this, data transfers will not work.
    4. Universal Charging Inline cable - For if you don't want to buy a 30pin connector or cut up your OEM cable, you can put this in line with your OEM cable and use any 5V source.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    It is my first time linking a picture which you can't just upload, you need to link to an existing online photo.

I think I fixed the problem use ImageShack but if you still have issues viewing, use the below link

GT Cable layouts
    okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
    Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
    Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
    http://shop.kineteka.com/products/200-samsung-tabbreakout.aspx

If you want to take a USB keyboard and make it work, the easiest thing for a beginner would be to get the tab breakout connector and then solder the wires as shown in the diagram. If you don't have a female connector, you can cut off the male connector from the keyboard and just match up the colors.
    Only get the other connector if you have a way to ohm out the pins so you know what is what, have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, and also have a steady hand. I got my connectors in the mail last night and I can probably take a picture and specify the pin layout if you like.

As for the HDMI, I am not sure yet. Seems like either no one has an adapter or if they do, don't want to share what the insides look like. For the older tab, it had one pin for standard video, but HDMI has 19 pins so either a lot of pins on the 30pin connector get reassigned in some way, or there might be some type of chip that does the conversion. I don't know enough about HDMI to make a proper assessment at this point. I hope someone with an actual adapter will chime in soon.
    From a portable battery, like one of those from Zagg, that supply 1A.

Not a good idea. Those Y cables just short together the 5V from both plugs, assuming they come from different USB jacks on the same PC and so the same power supply. If you do this with the Tab and a USB battery pack, the battery will feed power into the Tab's USB host power supply when it turns off in sleep mode.
    I'm going to create these boards and order them so if they work i can just share it with the community. You guys won't have to do anything besides install the parts or something.