Root & Install CM7 on Mytouch 3G Slide 2.2.1

Search This thread

insanityrains

Oct 16, 2010
Tempe, Az
how do you achieve s-off though? does downgrading, also downgrade your bootloader?

the goldcard app is not working, the site is down to generate keys.

No goldcard needed and s-off has been shown to be possible just google it and add xda its here somewhere.

anybody even here anymore?

theres too many outdated rooting guides on here. i already know i cannot achieve s-off now that we accepted the OTA. i already tried to root and it went fine but the clockwork recovery will not work. also when i boot into the 2.1 rom that i downgraded to i see there is no superuser app but it appears i am rooted because most root apps work minus wireless tether. i just want root and to run a semi stock non cm7 type rooted rom. is this possible with s-on or not?

if so can someone point me in the right direction please?

Theirs no SUPERUSER program when putting on the 2.1 that's why its recommended to put on CM7 because it has everything you need to get full root. S-Off isn't root its just taking off security on things that if messed with could possibly brick your phone.

Reactions: TK_4

ElBerryKM13

Aug 21, 2010
Some sd cards work better than others. Sandisk with a little 4 work great. Try to reformat it with a pc and I think it needs to be Fat32

Your pc is not detecting your phone. Try installing HTC Sync from the Mytouch 3Gs support page. Also make sure to run it as an administrator while being logged in on a admin account

I'm having the same issues:
"cd: can't cd to /sqlite_stmt_journals"

then after I turn wifi on and the cmd prompt goes again I get:

"./exploid not found" and " secretlol not found"

htc sync installed, Phone gets # on adb command after super one click so i know my comp is reading the phone right.
Any other suggestion?

TK_4

Sep 7, 2011
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU insanityrains and all who posted and gave suggestions.

I was able to get this up in running after a couple of days and I'm excited.

Had an issue with SuperOneClick 1.7 so I found SuperOneClick 2.1.1 was available. It got me a bit further but I still had the "error: protocol fault".

I was able to resolve this by opening task manager and finding the location of the adb.exe file it was calling. The incorrect one was being called in the HTC synch folder.

To quickly fix I just renamed the adb.exe and then it picked up the one in the SuperOneClick2.1.1 folder and I was able to get it rooted.

Thanks Again....

Reactions: staypuft13

insanityrains

Oct 16, 2010
Tempe, Az
I'm having the same issues:

htc sync installed, Phone gets # on adb command after super one click so i know my comp is reading the phone right.
Any other suggestion?

You might have the same issue as others which is that their are more than 1 adb services installed on your computer and they are conflicting and not letting the ones that need to run access to your phone

Last edited:

Seannoxious

Feb 18, 2010
Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

1. Download the files below.

2. Copy "ESPRIMG.zip" to the root of your sd card on your phone

3. Extract "Super-Click 1.7" & "Mt3s Rooter" to their own folders on your computer

4. Navigate to settings on your phone. Select "Connect to Pc", choose "Charge Only"

5. Navigate to "Applications" then select "Devolpment" and make sure "USB Debugging" is on

6. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (Run .exe as Admin if your using Vista/Win7)

7. In SuperOneClick, select "Shell Root", wait for it to finish rooting

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

9. Once your phone is rebooted it should be in BOOTLOADER Mode. Press volume down to select fastboot (If it doesnt show fastboot then select Bootloader and it will then show the menu with fastboot).
Once fastboot is highlighted, press the power button once.
It will check for ESPRIMG.zip and should show a progress bar in the top right.
After waiting a while it will ask you if you want to update, press volume up.
When it is finished it will ask to reboot, press volume up to do so. (If phone says on Mytouch circle for too long just take out the battery and restart)
If you want to put CM7 on your phone do instructions below.

Installing CM7 with Google Apps

1. Rename "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

3. Copy "Update" & "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" to the root of your phone

4. Turn your phone off. Once off press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

6. A Red Triangle screen will show. Press volume up and power, then select "Wipe data/factory reset" then done do the same with "Wipe cache partition

7. After all that you will select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

8. Select reboot system now

9. Once phone is restarted go into the app drawer and open ROM Manager.

10. Scroll down and select "Download Rom" then select install and then select the option it shows. It should say that Clockwork Mod installed.

11. Now select "Install Rom from SD Card" and select "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" and press OK twice.
It will reboot and show it installing.
Once done it will reboot again and your done. (Btw it will have you sign in and such)

DOWNLOAD THESE FILES:

SuperOneClick 1.7-
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=526223&d=1298565480

Mt3s Rooter-
http://www.fileserve.com/file/y8yFvWb

HTC Espresso Stock Rom (ESPRIMG for 2.1 stock rom)-
http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

CM7 Rom for Mytouch 3G Slide-
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip

Google Apps-
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

I pieced this together so I don't take full cred. I know this works because I did it to my phone as I typed it :)
If this works make sure to post it.

Is it just me or does anyone else get a corrupted mt3srooter.zip i can not find one that will extract properly to save my life. Is there an alternative? Can you host it elsewhere?

jager555

Sep 26, 2010
Florida
I can email it to you if you really need it. Pm me your email and let me know what you need

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

lordstein

Mar 8, 2011
pitalito
No goldcard needed and s-off has been shown to be possible just google it and add xda its here somewhere.

Theirs no SUPERUSER program when putting on the 2.1 that's why its recommended to put on CM7 because it has everything you need to get full root. S-Off isn't root its just taking off security on things that if messed with could possibly brick your phone.

there is no way to also downgrade the version of bootloader and from hboot 1.02 (2.2.1 oficial rom) to 0.5 (oficial 2.1rom).
in this way we can make the s-off, from alpharev.

theynuts

Sep 26, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I tried to download the Mt3s rooter file but , it sent me to a blank page and then told me to try again in 1200 seconds when i refreshed the page. I did that and the blank page still came up. Can someone who has a copy of the file email me it please.

caboose1133

Sep 27, 2011
is there a way to reverse this? it kinda messed up my phone and i wish i hadnt done it now lol, for one thing all the contact info that was on my sd card arnt showing up now and idr like any of the numbers.

P

poeticsoul44

I do all the steps, but my phone doesn't find ESPRIMG.zip for some reason. I have it on the root of my card,but nothing.Been trying to root for months now and same problem so I figured I'd finally ask for help. Any help would be appreciated.

insanityrains

Oct 16, 2010
Tempe, Az
You might have a sd card that just doesnt work well with the phone. Sandisk with a little 4 on it are the best to use for rooting this phone

skulnik

Apr 15, 2010
Kansas City
OnePlus 7 Pro
Did you reformat your sd card? If not backup all the data on it and reformat it to fat32, then try the rooting steps again.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

AhrenSGL

Oct 4, 2011
Does anyone have any idea if this will fix the blurry camera issue that some of these devices have?

Shroomster

Nov 3, 2010
Orlando
I'm getting the following error when following the cm7 install :

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

thorishere113

Oct 13, 2011
insanityrains You're my hero... seriously man thank you so friggin much i cannot stress this enough.. great work, you've explained it very well. and very friendly even for noobs, you've helped me root my first phone and install cm7 i feel geeky LOL again man seriously thanks a bunch

also thanks to gorefest2010 for telling me about this thread

Shroomster

Nov 3, 2010
Orlando
I'm getting the following error when following the cm7 install :

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Sorry, I never updated:

-Realized I was trying to root while on 2.1.....
-Removed two htc things from pc
-updated phone to froyo through htc updater
-downgraded and rooted using superone click and mt3g rooter

Lol

galcv2

Jun 23, 2010
flash player?

great guide!

For the 2nd part, Installing CM7 with Google Apps, you need to delete ESPRIMG.zip if it's in your memory card...

How do get Flash Player installed and working?

Reactions: hacknbash

GameOX

Oct 19, 2011
The rooting process went fine

Though when attempting to install cyanogenmod 7, during the recovery mode and doing factory reset and partition, when I try adding the update.zip from the sd card I receive an error stating update.zip could not be opened, and the process fails

Please help?

staypuft13

Nov 9, 2011
You might have made the same oopsie that I did. Instead of renaming "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip", you are really going to rename it "update" since it is already a .zip file.

If you rename it "update.zip", then you are really renaming it "update.zip.zip".

Once I renamed it to just "update", it worked like a charm. I hope this helps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

1. Download the files below

2. Copy "ESPRIMG.zip" to the root of your sd card on your phone

3. Extract "Super-Click 2.3.1" & "Mt3s Rooter" to their own folders on your computer

4. Navigate to settings on your phone. Select "Connect to Pc", choose "Charge Only"

5. Navigate to "Applications" then select "Devolpment" and make sure "USB Debugging" is on

6. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (Run .exe as Admin if your using Vista/Win7)

7. In SuperOneClick, select "Shell Root", wait for it to finish rooting

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
    You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

9. Once your phone is rebooted it should be in BOOTLOADER Mode. Press volume down to select fastboot (If it doesnt show fastboot then select Bootloader and it will then show the menu with fastboot).
    Once fastboot is highlighted, press the power button once.
    It will check for ESPRIMG.zip and should show a progress bar in the top right.
    After waiting a while it will ask you if you want to update, press volume up.
    When it is finished it will ask to reboot, press volume up to do so. (If phone says on Mytouch circle for too long just take out the battery and restart)
    If you want to put CM7 on your phone do instructions below.

Installing CM7 with Google Apps

1. Rename "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

3. Copy "Update" & "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" to the root of your phone

4. Turn your phone off. Once off press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

6. A Red Triangle screen will show. Press volume up and power, then select "Wipe data/factory reset" then done do the same with "Wipe cache partition

7. After all that you will select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

8. Select reboot system now

9. Once phone is restarted go into the app drawer and open ROM Manager.

10. Scroll down and select "Download Rom" then select install and then select the option it shows. It should say that Clockwork Mod installed.

11. Now select "Install Rom from SD Card" and select "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" and press OK twice.
    It will reboot and show it installing.
    Once done it will reboot again and your done. (Btw it will have you sign in and such)

DOWNLOAD THESE FILES:

SuperOneClick 2.3.1-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Mt3s Rooter-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/hn8tn6141
    or
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7yq3wo5yl3odz4k

HTC Espresso Stock Rom (ESPRIMG for 2.1 stock rom)-
    http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

CM7 Rom for Mytouch 3G Slide-
    http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip

Google Apps-
    http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MyTouch 3G Slide Drivers (These Might Help With Failed ADB Connectivity)
    http://secure.htc.com/US/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

I pieced this together so I don't take full cred. I know this works because I did it to my phone as I typed it :)
    If this works make sure to post it. Also remember to give thanks. This was not easy to figure out.
    one small hiccup

Used these instructions to root a friend's phone last night. There was one deviation we had to deal with:

While we could see the menu the phone only gave us the choice to run update (YES) or reboot (NO). Recovery was inaccessible. We ran the update (with the bootloader bypassed) then when asked to reboot we chose (NO) and then could select RECOVERY and follow the steps above.

Yes, we did repeat the UPDATE.ZIP process but this time it did not skip Bootloader. Soon CM7 was up and running.

Hope this helps and thanks for the great instructions.
    I cant flash update.zip it keeps saying cant mount sd and when i reboot it says i dont have an sd card:confused: i need help im stuck with 2.1 and cant load a rom
    Some sd cards work better than others. Sandisk with a little 4 work great. Try to reformat it with a pc and I think it needs to be Fat32

Didnt work for me.

superoneclick worked saying i had temporary adb root, then i would run mts rooter and it seems like that when the cmd prompt comes up that it doesnt work.

on the first part it said

any help?
    Your pc is not detecting your phone. Try installing HTC Sync from the Mytouch 3Gs support page. Also make sure to run it as an administrator while being logged in on a admin account
    Insanityrains: I have two stupid questions. Is there something I'm missing here? You don't have consecutive numbers for your instructions. Should I follow them in the order you have posted or in the order of the numbers?

Dumb question 2: Where is the download link for the ESPRIMG.zip file?

Thanks for your instructions! I hope it works for me.

UPDATE
    I followed the steps to the letter. It worked seamlessly. Thanks insanityrains for putting all this together and the developer who actually figured this out!! However, few things I had to learn by doing it over and over again:
    The first part worked awesome! (i.e. rooting and installing 2.1). It will keep saying there were errors and stuff but keep doing what insanityrains says to do.

The second part (installing CM7 with google apps was the hurdle for me): Follow his numbering in post #1 (once again, I'm refering to the second part) to understand what I'm saying below.

Before you begin, you don't need the ESPRIMG file anymore once you have rooted and installed 2.1 (the first part). So delete that file from the root of your SD card. By doing this, you can skip the annoying wait as it tries to reinstall 2.1 on your phone. Now for the two mistakes I did.

1. The first step was a silly mistake, but very much possible for someone to commit. Just rename the file "update" and dont add ".zip" like I did. Everytime I try installing the ROM it kept saying "cannot locate update.zip". I was scratching my head for a few times before I realized the mistake
    2. Step #5. It will search for the ESPRIMG file and it is not going to find that. Select "recovery" then

For noobs, dont freak out while doing it. It was scary for me to root the phone. But once I did it fine, it was fun!
    how do you achieve s-off though? does downgrading, also downgrade your bootloader?

the goldcard app is not working, the site is down to generate keys.

anybody even here anymore?

theres too many outdated rooting guides on here. i already know i cannot achieve s-off now that we accepted the OTA. i already tried to root and it went fine but the clockwork recovery will not work. also when i boot into the 2.1 rom that i downgraded to i see there is no superuser app but it appears i am rooted because most root apps work minus wireless tether. i just want root and to run a semi stock non cm7 type rooted rom. is this possible with s-on or not?

if so can someone point me in the right direction please?