Sprint Galaxy Nexus vs. Epic 4g Touch Data speed tests

Search This thread

FitChicago

Jan 19, 2011
Chicago
That's pretty awesome to see!

QBKing you're the best- I really look forward to your videos and really appreciate all the ways your posts and videos have helped me unleash the full potential of the Epic Touch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: qbking77

dev_man77

Jun 28, 2010
Mankato, MN
www.facebook.com
Cool to see, thanks!

How have you guys that made the switch noticed the differences in cell strength and battery life? Really contemplating on switching over, just wondering how it compares to our phone. Its my only two gripes about the E4GT. I dont get service anywhere inside.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Can't watch it at school. Can anyone recap? :)
Basically this thread can be merged with this thread :) :) :)

[Article] Sprint's network sucks (nothing that wasn't known before)

On a serious note, the speeds were about the same on 3g and wifi.

Nexus had slightly faster uploads on 3g/wifi. E4GT had slightly faster download avg on 3g. They are roughly tied for download on wifi. None of the numbers were very impressive, but that is the fault of the network rather than the phone.

Reactions: Esoteric68

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
Further supports my decision to stick with the E4GT for now. I need to be blown away in order to even contemplate switching.

Thanks to qbking for the video and sfhub for the recap.

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Further supports my decision to stick with the E4GT for now. I need to be blown away in order to even contemplate switching.

Thanks to qbking for the video and sfhub for the recap.

Debatable.

While we will always take better download speeds, upload is used when browsing the web etc as well so having a better balance between them could give better real world usage results.

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
Debatable.

While we will always take better download speeds, upload is used when browsing the web etc as well so having a better balance between them could give better real world usage results.
See I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I never seem to struggle with my data connection unless I'm just in the middle of the boondocks (and in Alabama, that could be anywhere lol) and typically at that point I'm driving, not trying to browse the web. Around town and the cities where my family lives and I visit often I always get a quick connection so, again, just not enough of a difference for me. But for others it might be more than enough.

The overall specs of the Nexus just don't seem like a huge step up from the E4GT, not nearly enough for me to jump on it without waiting to see what else might be in store in the nearish future (SGSIII).

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
The overall specs of the Nexus just don't seem like a huge step up from the E4GT, not nearly enough for me to jump on it without waiting to see what else might be in store in the nearish future (SGSIII).

There's no doubt that, if you don't need a new phone now, waiting for the SGS3 is going to be a better decision.

But, if you have the money or whatever, going from the SGS2 to the Galaxy Nexus IS a bit of a spec bump.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
There's no doubt that, if you don't need a new phone now, waiting for the SGS3 is going to be a better decision.

But, if you have the money or whatever, going from the SGS2 to the Galaxy Nexus IS a bit of a spec bump.

I used it at a Sprint Store and I liked it. The guys working there were more impressed with my ET4G running ICS but I am still considering it when my June 1 upgrade hits on my NS4G. The S3 specs will tell the story for me

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

air2k57

Oct 5, 2009
I used it at a Sprint Store and I liked it. The guys working there were more impressed with my ET4G running ICS but I am still considering it when my June 1 upgrade hits on my NS4G. The S3 specs will tell the story for me

Cm9 alpha 3 was faster than the galaxy nexus I played with at sprint store. I closed all apps on both and just opened stock apps, performed basic tasks. Other than much better resolution and a bit bigger screen, why sacrifice ****ty 4g for no 4g lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

jspsuperman

Feb 19, 2011
Visalia
qbking or John, Im still rockin my og epic and have the oppurtunity to get a e4gt for a decent price, do you guys think its a big enough jump performance wise to go for it? Or do u think its not quite worth the jump? You both have done right by me in the past so your opinions are valid and welcome. :D

DaMV-P

Jun 28, 2010
Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335296295600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335296295600.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 298

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010

Spec bump in what department exactly? If you mean LTE, then yeah, maybe for the few who will be able to use it this early.

The only other thing I see bumping up is the display resolution.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Spec bump in what department exactly? If you mean LTE, then yeah, maybe for the few who will be able to use it this early.

The only other thing I see bumping up is the display resolution.

If I recall correctly the GPU in the Galaxy Nexus is a bit better.

But yes, LTE and Screen are the two noticable upgrades.

LTE will be relatively significant by the end of the year and into next...

And I can only conclude that the screen upgrade is huge for a lot of people since SO many people buy phones based on the screen.
;)

A pure Google experience with on screen buttons (with no need to root and flash) is also apart of the package.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
If I recall correctly the GPU in the Galaxy Nexus is a bit better.

But yes, LTE and Screen are the two noticable upgrades.

LTE will be relatively significant by the end of the year and into next...

And I can only conclude that the screen upgrade is huge for a lot of people since SO many people buy phones based on the screen.
;)

A pure Google experience with on screen buttons (with no need to root and flash) is also apart of the package.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the resolution isn't bad and you're right, if you have the money a ged device is always fun. Especially if you're in an LTE area. But by the time lte gets big I hope to see the sgs3 anyway.

As for gpu, I would argue the Mali-400 definitely has an upper hand on the sgx540

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
qbking or John, Im still rockin my og epic and have the oppurtunity to get a e4gt for a decent price, do you guys think its a big enough jump performance wise to go for it? Or do u think its not quite worth the jump? You both have done right by me in the past so your opinions are valid and welcome. :D

The ET4G is the best phone I have ever owned and I don't think I have had a close 2nd. It has the best Touchwiz features the OG Epic has if you run rooted stock. Its virtually impossible to make the phone lag and battery is twice as good as my Epic was...no joke.

Reactions: jspsuperman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Figured you guys would be happy to see this... Just did another test this morning and got just about the same results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Ocw5VJaAE&feature=BFp&list=PLE00E52D06AD2D20A
    That's pretty awesome to see!

QBKing you're the best- I really look forward to your videos and really appreciate all the ways your posts and videos have helped me unleash the full potential of the Epic Touch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    Can't watch it at school. Can anyone recap? :)
    Basically this thread can be merged with this thread :) :) :)

[Article] Sprint's network sucks (nothing that wasn't known before)

On a serious note, the speeds were about the same on 3g and wifi.

Nexus had slightly faster uploads on 3g/wifi. E4GT had slightly faster download avg on 3g. They are roughly tied for download on wifi. None of the numbers were very impressive, but that is the fault of the network rather than the phone.

The ET4G is the best phone I have ever owned and I don't think I have had a close 2nd. It has the best Touchwiz features the OG Epic has if you run rooted stock. Its virtually impossible to make the phone lag and battery is twice as good as my Epic was...no joke.

Actually its the CPU that is supposed to be a bit stronger on the GNex than the Epic Touch and the GPU not as good.

Matty, I can understand where you are coming from when testing the ET4G with CM9 vs the GNex stock but when I used both stock side by side the GNex felt as fast on the CPU side. Here's my thinking... I am waiting for S3 specs to decide but if the GNex is booming development wise and say the S3 isn't a big of a monster as we hope then I may go with GNex because even NS4G development is still thriving. I basically get to choose between a fully functioning CM9, Euroskank CM9, or CNA nightly every night with all kinds of extra add on mods...all source builds.

Now if the S3 is an absolute beast then there's no question which I will get

I always thought the Epic 4G Touch had a better CPU and GPU than the Galaxy Nexus. I highly doubt it's a noticeable difference though.