[MOD][Xposed] Restore Car Dock mode on Android 4.2

Search This thread

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Requires rovo89's Xposed Framework.

As you all might know, Android 4.2 removed the ability for car apps to hook the home button.
Although there have been two solutions (CyanogenMod is one, the other is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.homepatch&hl=en), they either didn't work on all ROMs (Stock and PA are two), and the one on the Play Store broke the original home button functionality (e.g going back to the main page).

I made this mod to solve that.

Compatibility:
This mod should work on all ROMs based on 4.2, unless the manufacturer removed the method startDockOrHome() from the code.
Tested and/or reported working on:
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Sony Xperia Z1
  • HTC One (M8)

Source:
The mod is open source, and licensed under GPLv3: https://github.com/MohammadAG/Xposed-4.2-Car-Mode

Download:
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.mohammadag.enablecardock

Support development:
If you found this mod useful, consider donating with PayPal.

Last edited:

loco-cork

May 13, 2013
not working on Nexus 4

Installed it on my Nexus 4 running stock jellybean 4.2.2 and Car Home Ultra. Made no difference to how it behaved before. Home button still brings android home screen instead of Car Mode home screen. :(

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Mohammad, should I wait for 4.2.2 upgrade before DL your great looking fix?
I'm using HTC One still on 4.1.2 in the US, and the update has made it to the UK.

I don't have an HTC One, but if upgrading without OTa is easy I'd jump to 4.2.2 anytime.

Installed it on my Nexus 4 running stock jellybean 4.2.2 and Car Home Ultra. Made no difference to how it behaved before. Home button still brings android home screen instead of Car Mode home screen. :(

Do you have the Xposed framework installed? If so, did you activate the module? If not, install it, you're missing out on a lot of good tweaks.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ghostryder12

vnguyen972

Dec 1, 2010
Sache, TX
I'm on Google Edition 4.2.2 on my HTC One and I have XPosed framework installed... so I grabbed this apk and installed it and activated it in XPosed... but how do I access car mode? do I need to install a car mode app?

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
i'm on pac man rom, on the gs3 for verizon. no alternate kernel, no cpu tweaks. i used the exposed module attached, enable it. so far, no difference. no available car dock. is there a car dock i must install prior? is there a reasonable one available that doesn't cost money...i know my prior overlays, sense and TW, had car modes. i figured there was an open source version, is why i ask about not spending money.

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
I'm on Google Edition 4.2.2 on my HTC One and I have XPosed framework installed... so I grabbed this apk and installed it and activated it in XPosed... but how do I access car mode? do I need to install a car mode app?

i'm on pac man rom, on the gs3 for verizon. no alternate kernel, no cpu tweaks. i used the exposed module attached, enable it. so far, no difference. no available car dock. is there a car dock i must install prior? is there a reasonable one available that doesn't cost money...i know my prior overlays, sense and TW, had car modes. i figured there was an open source version, is why i ask about not spending money.

Car mode is either activated automatically by a car dock, or manually by the user (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cwfk.ig88.carmode).
Personally I use an NFC tag on the back of my car mount with some Tasker and Llama automation.

After activating car mode you still need a car home app, S Voice is actually marked as one so you have that, but I prefer InDrive, CarHomeUltra, or Car Dashboard.

What this mod does is allow you to use the home button to go to the car launcher rather than your default launcher, a feature on all Android versions prior to 4.2.

alcuin

Jan 28, 2004
hm i didnt read first post carefully, sorry. thought this was needed for 4.1.2

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
Car mode is either activated automatically by a car dock, or manually by the user (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cwfk.ig88.carmode).
Personally I use an NFC tag on the back of my car mount with some Tasker and Llama automation.

After activating car mode you still need a car home app, S Voice is actually marked as one so you have that, but I prefer InDrive, CarHomeUltra, or Car Dashboard.

What this mod does is allow you to use the home button to go to the car launcher rather than your default launcher, a feature on all Android versions prior to 4.2.

Mohammad, bummer. Only works for the Samsung. Will you be trying to modify for multiple devices?? Like my HTC One....hint-hint....:D

Sent from that FBI van parked down the street.

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Mohammad, bummer. Only works for the Samsung. Will you be trying to modify for multiple devices?? Like my HTC One....hint-hint....:D

Sent from that FBI van parked down the street.

It doesn't work on the HTC One?
Are you sure you have Xposed installed and the module activated?

If so, send me a deodexed copy of android.policy.jar from /system/framework and I'll see if I can add support for it.

tip.deep

Apr 8, 2010
It seems it doesn't work with my Galaxy Nexus, with CM 10.2 (android 4.3)
My car app is the old google one but the home button still return to the main launcher... (Nova Launcher for me)

99sport

Apr 26, 2013
This works perfectly on my T-mobile HTC one running Android 4.3, Google Play edition ROM.

My phone finally has a fully functional car mode (HTC Sense car mode crashes with voice commands when a bluetooth device is connected).

Thanks!

Reatret

Aug 19, 2012
Laredo
Working on PA 3.96 4.3. I think its safe to say this will work on 4.3 ROMs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Iceman248

Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for app, but not working on Xposed 2.1.4 with CyanogenMod 10.2 on HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requires rovo89's Xposed Framework.

As you all might know, Android 4.2 removed the ability for car apps to hook the home button.
    Although there have been two solutions (CyanogenMod is one, the other is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.homepatch&hl=en), they either didn't work on all ROMs (Stock and PA are two), and the one on the Play Store broke the original home button functionality (e.g going back to the main page).

I made this mod to solve that.

Compatibility:
    This mod should work on all ROMs based on 4.2, unless the manufacturer removed the method startDockOrHome() from the code.
    Tested and/or reported working on:
    • Samsung Galaxy S4
    • Sony Xperia Z1
    • HTC One (M8)

Source:
    The mod is open source, and licensed under GPLv3: https://github.com/MohammadAG/Xposed-4.2-Car-Mode

Download:
    http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.mohammadag.enablecardock

Support development:
    If you found this mod useful, consider donating with PayPal.

Seems to work on my nexus 5 with no mods installed.

Home button in car home ultra works properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Mohammad, should I wait for 4.2.2 upgrade before DL your great looking fix?
    I'm using HTC One still on 4.1.2 in the US, and the update has made it to the UK.

I don't have an HTC One, but if upgrading without OTa is easy I'd jump to 4.2.2 anytime.

Do you have the Xposed framework installed? If so, did you activate the module? If not, install it, you're missing out on a lot of good tweaks.

Another 4.3 success story. Working on CM 10.2 (8/16 Nightly) for VZW Galaxy S4.

Thanks!